What do you miss from the 'Olden Days'?

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Given a lot of us on here are sadly no longer young, I thought it might be fun to share what we miss from the past.

For me, mine are mostly food (funny that!) but that's partly because I no longer live in England.

But I really miss:

Fairy Toilet Soap
Lemon Delph Cleanser & Toner
Aqua Manda
Turtle Oil Soap

And much more that I will think of as we go!

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
You brought back memories for me when I just started work at the GPO which makes me miss Aqua Manda too, also Anne French cleansing milk/.cream.
I can't buy this, but I miss being a child with my mum and dad growing up happy and carefree in the early 1970's :)

Reactions: 11 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I miss my grandparents, I miss the carefree days messing about on the coast at Pevensy Bay, I miss my then best friend Isobell, my list would be endless, the only food I really miss is my Nans home made bread.

Reactions: 8 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
My school mates, my teachers, my report cards, my first allowance, Fruit tingles, the moonwalks on TV, the Monkees (Sheesh they were SOOOO good) my mom's cooking, my Torana XU1 muscle car, the lure of a new LP by my favourite artist / band, learning DOS and above all, my first love

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Given a lot of us on here are sadly no longer young, I thought it might be fun to share what we miss from the past.

For me, mine are mostly food (funny that!) but that's partly because I no longer live in England.

But I really miss:

Fairy Toilet Soap
Lemon Delph Cleanser & Toner
Aqua Manda
Turtle Oil Soap

And much more that I will think of as we go!
You sure liked some weird food .... no wonder you're not well!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
The streets belonging to the kids.
I grew up in the fifties and sixties and the streets truly belonged to the kids.
Hardly a car in sight hardly a car parked up.
Football cricket even tennis was played on the streets .... even bus route streets where the bus would slow down for the kids to pull their string tennis net ... to one side of the street while it passed.
This was Manchester not some backwater.
My dad would go out or make me .... and shovel up the horse droppings for his garden.
The horse would be delivering milk .... hardware .... collecting scrap .... carting timber etc.
No this was the 19's not the 18 50's and sixties.
Now every street is lined with millions of quids worth of shiny metal and the streets belong to the owners of the shiny metal.
Don't dare kick a ball there or play any other game.
I would love that my grand kids could reclaim the streets but no .... the stress of homework and exams takes up far to much of their time.
Childhood used to be free and special and different from the adult **** .... not so much these days.
Liberate the children .... liberate the streets ..... I know I know .....

Reactions: 16 people

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
So so much but, nutty bars ... I miss nutty bars! ...
Nutty bars? What were they? Like a slim chocolate log bar with nuts in that you bought with the 'penny things'?

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
You sure liked some weird food .... no wonder you're not well!
Haha very funny! Actually the food that I miss from England is Belgium Buns, all the different flavoured crisps, Caramac Chocolate, scotch eggs ... Now you've got me started. Oh and Readibreak .. was just talking to my Aunty in UK a few days ago about it.

Sometimes though I think what I really miss is being young and carefree ... and being able to eat all those yummy foods without worry!

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
The streets belonging to the kids.
I grew up in the fifties and sixties and the streets truly belonged to the kids.
Hardly a car in sight hardly a car parked up.
Football cricket even tennis was played on the streets .... even bus route streets where the bus would slow down for the kids to pull their string tennis net ... to one side of the street while it passed.
This was Manchester not some backwater.
My dad would go out or make me .... and shovel up the horse droppings for his garden.
The horse would be delivering milk .... hardware .... collecting scrap .... carting timber etc.
No this was the 19's not the 18 50's and sixties.
Now every street is lined with millions of quids worth of shiny metal and the streets belong to the owners of the shiny metal.
Don't dare kick a ball there or play any other game.
I would love that my grand kids could reclaim the streets but no .... the stress of homework and exams takes up far to much of their time.
Childhood used to be free and special and different from the adult **** .... not so much these days.
Liberate the children .... liberate the streets ..... I know I know .....
I remember as kids we were always outside playing in the fresh air. Used to go off on our own after breakfast and come home for lunch. Then off again 'up the common' til tea time. Sadly in the world we live in today we can't allow young kids to go off on their own.

Used to love the light summer evenings, playing rounders in the street, then up the road with a sixpence for some chips, if our cousins came over.

Kids today spend too much time in front of the tv/computer/xbox etc. Shut themselves away from the world with their ipods. No wonder there is an epidemic of obesity. Mothers working and relying on takeaway/convenience processed foods.

Remember the pleasure we got from playing marbles or dibs? Oh for the simple life ....

Reactions: 6 people

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rickets, malnutrition, grinding poverty, Nazi Germany ............

"The Good Old Days are good because they're gone" (WC Fields, I think) ;)

Reactions: 6 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our house backed on to a woods and it was our second home, all the local kids had camps in the woods, such happy times.
But it was also a short cut from the station for a lot of commuters and some years ago now there were a couple of rapes on women walking home through the woods. You go there now and it's empty apart from a few dog walkers.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I miss opening my Christmas stocking ... it always contained an orange, some nuts and a packet of penguin mints. Obviously lots of other little things but those are the three things that stick in my mind. In my teenage years Mum used to fill it with little things like sachets of shampoo, soaps etc. And I always loved getting the selection boxes .. My gran passed away on Christmas morning when I was 7 and I remember the present I got from her and my Grandad ... a vanity case and inside was a huge bag of threepenny pieces that she'd been collecting through the year. It was a sad day and I remember filling the case up with all the chocolates from the selection boxes and my older sister and I went with our new bags for a walk through the snow. :(

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
My school mates, my teachers, my report cards, my first allowance, Fruit tingles, the moonwalks on TV, the Monkees (Sheesh they were SOOOO good) my mom's cooking, my Torana XU1 muscle car, the lure of a new LP by my favourite artist / band, learning DOS and above all, my first love

The above has reminded me of.
When a teenager. Saturdays, going to the music shop, picking out a record and going into the booth and listening to it being played.

Around the age of 9 or 10, saturday morning pictures, and going to the chip shop after for a 6 d. ( six old pennies ) worth of chips.
Sitting on the swings and eating our chips. Listening to the church bells, someone had just got married in the church that was and still is next to the park.
This park is on the banks of the river Thames.

Ten years later we got married in that church, and yes the bells rang out.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
The above has reminded me of.
When a teenager. Saturdays, going to the music shop, picking out a record and going into the booth and listening to it being played.

Around the age of 9 or 10, saturday morning pictures, and going to the chip shop after for a 6 d. ( six old pennies ) worth of chips.
Sitting on the swings and eating our chips. Listening to the church bells, someone had just got married in the church that was and still is next to the park.
This park is on the banks of the river Thames.

Ten years later we got married in that church, and yes the bells rang out.
We're there any kids sat on the swings having chips I wonder .....

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss opening my Christmas stocking ... it always contained an orange, some nuts and a packet of penguin mints. Obviously lots of other little things but those are the three things that stick in my mind. In my teenage years Mum used to fill it with little things like sachets of shampoo, soaps etc. And I always loved getting the selection boxes .. My gran passed away on Christmas morning when I was 7 and I remember the present I got from her and my Grandad ... a vanity case and inside was a huge bag of threepenny pieces that she'd been collecting through the year. It was a sad day and I remember filling the case up with all the chocolates from the selection boxes and my older sister and I went with our new bags for a walk through the snow. :(

And I bet you remember gran every Christmas