What does the UK leaving the EU mean for us?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We won't know until the Conservative Party vote on it. Probably not until after their conference in October, then potential candidates are whittled down to 2, by their MPs I think, and then the 150,000 party members will vote.
I think the final two candidates will be Boris Johnson and Theresa May, and Johnson will win because he is popular with the grassroots party members.

Shame, because Theresa May is a Type 1 - she might be a bit more well-inclined towards the NHS.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good news for bricklayers, looks like Hadrian's wall is gonna need repointing.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I had to laugh when I heard that the top search in the" UK" on Google yesterday was what is the EU, as an American reporter said they were all trying to find out what it was they had just voted to leave, incredible.

Reactions: 4 people

Nickglanf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There has been a lot of infighting within the ranks of the Conservative and Labour Party today. The sad thing is these people are putting party politics and their careers before the good and wellbeing of the our country.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good news for bricklayers, looks like Hadrian's wall is gonna need repointing.

I heard we were getting the polish to do it, all the english brickies are working in the Eu for a lot more money at the moment.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I heard we were getting the polish to do it, all the english brickies are working in the Eu for a lot more money at the moment.
In the 80s maybe but not now. Same of Kent, England.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the 80s maybe but not now. Same of Kent, England.

True to be honest.
British apprenticeships have fallen off dramatically, it's a college education rather than learning a trade now.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just worried about the net loss to Wales, which will amount to hundreds of millions of pounds and will stop 2 years from when article 50 is eventually triggered.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum
Presumably the welsh voters thought considered this when they overwhelmingly voted in favour of leaving the EU!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Total fiction if you ask me .... it states that Scotland will break away

A lot of Scottish people who voted to remain in the EU say they would choose Westminster rule over EU rule - Nicola is in danger of losing her current powerful position ..... interesting times ahead.
I don't think that Spain will agree to Scotland joining the EU if they decided to b independent because it will make things difficult for them re Catalan and the Basques who are looking/fighting for independence.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
I don't think that Spain will agree to Scotland joining the EU if they decided to b independent because it will make things difficult for them re Catalan and the Basques who are looking/fighting for independence.
Good point - I had not even thought of that aspect ....

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"I don't think that Spain will agree to Scotland joining the EU if they decided to b independent because it will make things difficult for them re Catalan and the Basques who are looking/fighting for independence"

Maybe so but it won't stop Scotland wanting a second referendum or voting to leave the UK.

sud5nala

"Nigel Farage, the leader of the U.K. Independence Party, spent Friday morning distancing himself from the “Leave” campaign’s promise that Britain’s EU funds would be redirected to the National Health Service; and Tory European Parliament member Daniel Hannan admitted that renegotiating Britain’s relationship with the EU wouldn’t actually decrease immigration. Sorry, “Leave” voters who wanted to either curb immigration or fund the NHS! (That’s pretty much all of them.)"

From "Brexit may well never happen" at slate.com yesterday, the 25th.

Last edited by a moderator:

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Do the UK citizens have a "Pessimism Gene" ? The short term scare stories and the market manipulators no doubt will have an effect but not as bad as you may think. We are the 2nd largest economy in Europe and if you think the EU are going to hit us with punitive tariffs then we can do the same back and affect the declining Euro (nearly 1:1 with the USD). The whole uncertantity will affect the whole EU, in fact the FTSE lost the least in percentage terms compared to other EU stock exchanges. We could have our fishing fleet back, farmers could actually grow food than get paid not to do so. The whole EU being painted by the media as a saviour and utopia is looking at the world through rose tinted glasses. I remember the last decline in the UK, the closures of the mines and the decline of the manufacting industry. Most of the U.K. Is a service economy and as any economist will tell you is walking into the abyss. I hope us leaving the EU brings us hope and prosperity. It's easy to spread fear but hard to inspire hope.:)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do the UK citizens have a "Pessimism Gene" ? The short term scare stories and the market manipulators no doubt will have an effect but not as bad as you may think. We are the 2nd largest economy in Europe and if you think the EU are going to hit us with punitive tariffs then we can do the same back and affect the declining Euro (nearly 1:1 with the USD). The whole uncertantity will affect the whole EU, in fact the FTSE lost the least in percentage terms compared to other EU stock exchanges. We could have our fishing fleet back, farmers could actually grow food than get paid not to do so. The whole EU being painted by the media as a saviour and utopia is looking at the world through rose tinted glasses. I remember the last decline in the UK, the closures of the mines and the decline of the manufacting industry. Most of the U.K. Is a service economy and as any economist will tell you is walking into the abyss. I hope us leaving the EU brings us hope and prosperity. It's easy to spread fear but hard to inspire hope.:)

The UK is no longer the second, and the FTSE only did well because the pound fell through the floor, which brought the losses back up on paper......

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

The pound as fallen further against the dollar this morning that's not pessimism that's reality, something we will now have to deal with instead of the optimistic reassurances that we are still Great Britain and the world will just have to fall in with our wishes if they know what's good for them.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The pound as fallen further against the dollar this morning that's not pessimism that's reality, something we will now have to deal with instead of the optimistic reassurances that we are still Great Britain and the world will just have to fall in with our wishes if they know what's good for them.

It's an interesting viewpoint some have, because we 'import' more than we 'export', so everyone will have to do things our way.
We import goods, clothes, food. all the basics of life, the necessities as well as the luxuries.
We 'export' services, like the Financial services of the bank of London, the investment houses, many of which are foreign owned, and now looking to move out.
It will be interesting to see just who needs who, if we do go down the nationalist route, and decide to play hard ball, stop trading, and live on UK produces goods en masse.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The stock market at least is quieter this morning, a lot less double figure losses, the usual safe haven of gold is still increasing.
Much easier to get a deal through today, so definitely less trading going on.