What exercise?

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What exercised do you do?

I have to admit that I have never really been into exercise. I did play football at school but that's about it!

I think I'm wired wrong for exercise. I dint get the endorphin rush that people bang on about. I just get angry lol.

I quite like horse riding but it's expensive and I'd need a Big horse!!! Last year I tried Ceroc dancing which I loved but have gig out of the habit of going, plus mitt many people want to dance with the sweaty fat Girl:cry:
:grin:
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
How about rugby?
If you likes football, rugby is way better especially if sport makes you angry as you are actively encouraged to bash people. Plus, size has its advantages in Rugby. Lots of good women's teams around. Good way to make new friends too.
I only started last year and I love it now.

Cub

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Swimming, then I have been into swimming for most of my life.

Low impact on the joints and most public pools have sessions just for ladies. They don't seem to have any for men who don't want to be seen in their speedo's though ;). Not that it bothers me personally, if anyone wants to weigh up a fifty two year old beer belly they are welcome :).

The pool I use has lanes sessions which divide the pool into slow, medium and fast sections (slow for me with the odd spot of medium).

I also find that if you swim at the same time each day/week you will find a lot of familiar faces. It still amazes me how big the queue is to get in at 7am.

Today will be a later session as my daughter wants to swim today and I cba dragging my backside to the pool twice today.

Cost: £4.10 per session at my local council pool, less than a packet of fags. I pay monthly so only £20.50 and that covers pools, gyms etc.

Take a mate with you and make it social it helps.

Lucyturner

I would say the same, my cousin has just started rugby and she loves it. I love swimming and it exercises every part of your body. I have started walking everywhere instead of driving or getting the bus, even just half an hour a day will make a difference.

Lucy

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,Eveshamgal, :)
tried Ceroc dancing which I loved

If you loved Ceroc dancing, go back and keep it up.

Enjoyment of this type is good exercise and a sweaty fat girl is you just making a lackadaisical reason for whatever.

"I need a big horse, now your making me laugh". :lol:

Best of luck in whatever you would like to try, just make sure that you enjoy.

Are you the same as the rest of them or that real person that we all love and admire.

Roy. :)

TMG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Chocolate
Hello one and all,

I have recently been diagnose as prediabetes/type 2 boarderline!!

A few years ago used to train in Karate, was injured getting ready for my Black belt and had to give up for a while...I was just considering returning when I got my diagnosis.

Since I have been told to be exceptionally nice to my feet and with karate being a semi contact sport, I m now in two minds as to if it is safe as a diabetic excersise at all, or if I now really should consider something more low impact.

Tracey

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
I go to aquasize at our local pool we are all shapes and sizes and you do not need to be able to swim to do it .We have lots of fun and we all have health problems of some type.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercises which you can do daily are probably most beneficial for diabetes. Most people think of cardio vascular exercises as the most important because they strengthen the heart and lung function and two or three weekly sessions in a gym will do that. A moderate amount of resistance exercise however will raise the production of several hormones and, in turn, enzymes, which aid digestion and insulin sensitivity. This is most effective after 12 hours but tails off rapidly after 24 hours. There is a lot to be said for going for a brisk walk after every meal and it has been shown that at those frequencies, the effect is cumulative. Maximum effectiveness is achieved at around 1500 calories per week, so not far of 3 sessions which burn off 70 cals each session per day.

Lots of website have titles like, Calories Burned Doing Household Chores, http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/ ... hores.html and make interesting reading. I use a rower 3 x 10 mins now but I haven't used it whilst I have been shovelling the snow. It really is a question of upping the activity. This type of exercise won't tone the body, make you slim or get you fit for anything other than doing housework, but it will improve your insulin sensitivity. Other than that, if I could go for an early morning swim every day, I'd do it. That tones you up, makes you fit, improves your cardio vascular function and improves your insulin sensitivity but, you have to be well organised to make it fit into your daily lifestyle.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I do gardening as my exercise and reap the benefits for having a really toned body and loads of home grown veg.

I still count it as exercise, even though its not a listed official exercise. Mind you, I do it as a job too, and have been digging and digging for months now removing nettles and clearing river banks and woodlands. So its not pottering around in a greenhouse...

Roll on when I can finally sprinkle some veg seeds!!!

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I personally do very little. my Wii fit is gathering dust. Maybe I will dust it off when I get home.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well the wii fit still has dust on it, not for long though!!! I did get just dance 4 out earlier and amazed myself by how much I can do. I guess my 3 stone weight loss makes a huge difference. Now if only I could shift at least another3!!! :lol:

Im now off for a walk instead of a drive to the local shop for my euromillions tickets. I feel great must aim to do a little wii exercise every day!!!

I love swimming but my local pool is about 20 miles away and with the cost of petrol makes it difficult. But I have all the wii stuff at home so should make better use of it!

Hi guys,
I'm type 1 diabetic insulin dependant and need to loose 2 stone. I suffer from panic attacks and has just started doing brisk walking an hour a day again.
Just wondered what diet plans people in the same situation has been on and how they manage hypos with exercise without having to eat something sugary first? Defeats the object of dieting and exercising if you have to eat sugar and carbs! Please let me know will be a great help!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
As a type 1 doing exercise, even walks can pose a problem.. As inevitably snacks can enter into being a necessity.. However it is possible to minimise.

It can depend on the time of your exercise.. Your walk say.. You could do this after a meal and have less bolus...

If it was me I would do this as my first option.. I would have 50% of my normal bolus and eat as normal, then do my walk.. It should minimise any meal rise you would normally get, and wouldnt involve extra carbs. I would test myself every 30 mins whilst walking - and hourly for 5 hours after. If my levels were to go up or down I would adjust the bolus up or down from the 50% appropriately.. It maybe that you would not actually need a bolus at all, but that would also depend on your bg level prior to the meal...

I came close to losing my licence after driving to take my dogs for a 50 min dog walk and then after the walk driving back home.. So I know the effects of injections and walking. After this incident I was given an insulin pump. Nowadays, I am also very lucky to have a funded cgm. Having both of these has enabled me to be a lot better at seeing how my levels change with exercise such as 6hrs hard labour digging or laying patio slabs or just walking.

When exercising and doing anything physical I thank my lucky stars for having my pump and cgm.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Exercise is so important for anyone, especially diabetics. You may need to adjust diet, insulin to get it right but it's important that you do. Don't be put off if your BS's go a bit haywire at first. Experiment and you will benefit. Some people use diabetes as an excuse to not exercise and that's a shame. You can still live a full and healthy life !

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My mum gave me her zumba dvds today. Need to buy a DVD player to play them on now lol

Just got made redundant with no job found yet so am penny pinching at the moment. Once things get sorted I will start going to more things like Ceroc and swimming.

Once the fitness levels get up I might try rugby. I do like watching it lol

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use ea sport active 2. You can get this for ps3 and Wii. If you get 2 sets you can play with someone else. It comes with a heart monitor sensors and resistance band. It works out how many calories you are burning. There are a variety of programs you can follow. Session length is from 30 min to one hour. Exercises are varied. Running, skipping, push ups, resistance training etc. None of the sessions is the same. You also do warm up and cool down exercises. I have lost 2 stone and am now 1stone away from desired weight.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
I've been T2 for 10yrs and still don't take medication. I'm now 56yrs.

I was diagnosed after putting on 10kg over a number of years of not doing a huge amount of exercise. This is relative mind you. Before the weight gain I was cycling 200-300 miles a week, running 10miles and going to the gym twice and ate an enormous amount. But I let that slip and cycled infrequently and ran only a little but still ate the prodigious quantities I was used to, hence the weight gain.

Since the diagnosis, I lost the weight and got back into the exercise. I run 3x a week (40-90 mins each) do 2 weights sessions and 3hrs of brisk walking and have lowered my HBA1c.
However, possibly because I was following the NHS (pro-carbs) dietary guidance my HBA1c has been creeping back up. So now I have gone on the low-carb diet and started to try to tailor my exercise specifically to keep BGs low rather than just exercising when I feel like it. I don't test so I'm trying to do this by understanding the science - but that is still developing. :?

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well got a DVD player and i am puffed out after just doing the basic steps dvd lol

i swear the women on there are made of rubber and springs!!! :shock: