What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just went to order some of the gingerbread cakes on Deliciously Guilt Free website but they’ve sold out already! Probably just as well

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast to die for was some of my cauliflower cheese savoury cut into slices and fried in left over fat from burgers the other day. Yum, yum and more yum

L a bit of cheese and ham

D: shepherds pie from yesterday's roast lamb. Mine topped with celeriac mash I had frozen sometime ago. 20g 100%choc and1 small brandy (to cope with a boring zoom meeting!)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- Hugs for missing out on the gingerbread cakes.
@annabell1 -- It's good to see you back.

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Three scrambled eggs with baba ghanoush.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with butter. A wiener chicken sausage.

Dinner: One DD keto roll (fresh from the oven, never can resist) and later another half with mayonnaise and smoked salmon. About 5g of 88% chocolate and some dry red wine.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Chook and ziggy_w

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook your tuna mayo salad is what I'd call tuna salad, and is one of the most delicious foods there is! As you may see from my menus, my boredom threshold is WAY higher than most people's.
@MrsT t 123 you are feasting on rolls! Every time I look in my recipes I see the keto buns one, and they don't look difficult. Just have to make the time to do it!
@DJC3 so sorry about the gingerbread cakes
Monday (still today by me)
Bfast avocado, pecans, boiled egg, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Unfortunate snack peanut butter
Supper avocado (somehow there were two open halves in the refrigerator and neither would last until tomorrow), a little spinach, a few pecans, a baked chicken thigh from the freezer, flax crisps/dilute soy.
Good night all, good morning soon!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I don't see how deep fried anything can be invented in Scotland! Deep fried odd things were all invented by rednecks living in Alabama or Texas. They're State Fair Food, like cotton candy, nuts in a paper cone, apple cider mini-donuts, barbecue, hot dogs-- what do UK folks eat at midways?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't see how deep fried anything can be invented in Scotland! Deep fried odd things were all invented by rednecks living in Alabama or Texas. They're State Fair Food, like cotton candy, nuts in a paper cone, apple cider mini-donuts, barbecue, hot dogs-- what do UK folks eat at midways?

Similar sorts of food candy floss ( cotton candy) toffee apples ( which are apples stuck on sticks and dipped in caramel which sets rock hard) hot dogs, burgers and donuts too. A lot of them have a hog roast these days as well. I live in Cornwall where people seem to have pasties 3 times a day. At the last fair I went to, it was quite a small one, there were 3 stalls selling pasties, but there was no other food available!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's the stuff. Not something I tended to buy although my grandparents liked it. Mars Bar? Yuk. Not something you'd find on the east coast.

I've only heard of a deep fried Mars bar. I have never knowingly been in its presence.

Bearing in mind Mars have always been yuck to me, I can't envisage a coating of batter making them any better.

Some of the things on that website did bring back memories - plain loaf and so on.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning

We used to do deep fried Mars Bars when we had the chippy. Personally I thought they were gross but they were popular. If you cooked them for a moment too long they would explode and ruin the cooking fat (Yorkshire's best beef dripping) so we only did them when we were about to change the dripping, we'd put a sign up outside and kids and adults would queue up to buy them. I often think of them as our contribution to the obesity epidemic in this part of Yorkshire.

Today we are going home and I'm so looking forward to sleeping in my own bed!

Breakfast: fresh mackerel fillets fried in butter with a squeeze of lime to season (I'd forgotten how much I enjoy fresh unsmoked mackerel)

Dinner: an aubergine, mozzarella, parmesan and fresh crushed tomatoes layer bake thing that I made and froze before we went on holiday. Probably have this with wilted chard and a lamb chop or two for Mr C.

Is anyone else going to do this Dry October thing for McMillan Nurses?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've only heard of a deep fried Mars bar. I have never knowingly been in its presence.

Bearing in mind Mars have always been yuck to me, I can't envisage a coating of batter making them any better.

Some of the things on that website did bring back memories - plain loaf and so on.
Ah yes! When sent shopping you had to specify Plain or Pan when requesting your "half loaf". I was always sent to request a Plain Half as that was the most breadlike. The pan was very spongy textured.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That's the stuff. Not something I tended to buy although my grandparents liked it. Mars Bar? Yuk. Not something you'd find on the east coast.

I think the reason I didn't like potted hough made by a Saltcoats butcher, was the spices used. No objection to the jelly or the ground meat. Have never seen i t on the Island.

I'm not sure that the original concept of fried Mars bar was real, I believe it was an anti-Scot joke story told bu English comedians, then it became a myth, then people actually started to make it. Bad idea!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah yes! When sent shopping you had to specify Plain or Pan when requesting your "half loaf". I was always sent to request a Plain Half as that was the most breadlike. The pan was very spongy textured.

My husband and his family would only ever eat "plain" bread. Pan loaves were considered inedible. Plain loaf and local bakery rolls (bought as they came out of the oven at 6 am) was the only bread eaten until my husband started making his own wholemeal bread.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 8.5. That's a bit better.

Breakfast - Avocado on Atkins crackers.

I think I'll avoid the ham & vegetable soup from yesterday - it'll keep for a day in the fridge - rather too much veg for my tum's comfort this morning, sadly. So later it will be either sardines (from a tin) or fish stew (frozen mixture which Neil brought home from his shopping trip yesterday).

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All
All this talk of forbidden food means I am now craving a real Cornish pasty. I remember some from the bakery in St Agnes many moons ago which made a cold, wet summers day very warm and radiant!
Yesterday I had my usual breakfast of HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch was egg mayo chopped cucumber and cherry toms.
Supper was mini meatballs cooked in a bought jar of tomato and herb sauce (sainsbury own brand) which was a bit carby and tasted sweet and courgetti. Had high FBG this morning.
Today had same breakfast. Lunch was a big finger of ripe Brie with a sliver of sourdough bread and small salad.
Supper will be Cauli Bhajee (Madhur Jaffrey recipe) for me, meat pie for Mr PM.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday Bed 6.8 FBG 7. Remember "that child" and the awful mother? She's avoiding all of us if she sees any of us in the street as it has now come out her little darling did lie. The incident that started all this, grandson maintained he was attacked because he thought "that child" was hurting one of his friends and he went to help him. He claimed he was only "hugging him". That was the lie. He was hurting the other child and that led to him only spending part of the day in class with a full time "minder". It's got worse now as he's now having to be home schooled for half a day Mon - Friday as they've partially excluded him now. He stabbed another child above the eye with a pair of scissors. Thankfully, they were safety scissors but what on earth were they thinking off? No 2 tells me it's a lot better in class without him. Hubby is more or less over his cold and has returned to the pickup at school. The steaming has helped my cold too. Feeling much better. I'm also glad to say eldest grandson has finally got over his nerves and is going in earlier with me so he can play with friends before school.
B. TAG and a slice of LC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. A lotus buscuit.
D. Pork chop - just seasoned and I made another cauliflower rice risotto with jumbo spring onion, mushrooms, chicken stock and a cheese mix of red Leicester & mozzarella. Raspberries & cream.

Saw this yesterday online and it made me laugh

BEGINNERS GUIDE TO CHROMOSOMES

Male XY
Female XX
Delilah YYY
Geordie YI

Read it out!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon All

Another exciting day here in the B household.
Mr B has retired to bed with several covid symptoms, a postal test is on the way, and he is feeling pretty rough.
The B Jury is still out as to whether it is actually covid (we've had one false alarm already) but this is one of the risks of him being both a key worker and having a job that exposes him to public lurgies.
So we are both on strict quarantine until the test result is in - and hopefully it will be a negative, because that will release us from prison immediately.
We are agreed that the main problem will be that Pup No3 is used to a good brisk walk daily, and the 2 week quarantine/social distancing rules are clear: no leaving the house, even for dog walks. Gonna be fun. She is already puzzled as to why we haven't gone for a walk yet today, and is delighting in barking at leaves in the garden. That is just the beginning...

So today I have already had a oozingly succulent ham and cheese omelette. Then it will be jambalaya this evening.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Still yuk though.

The other Scottish delicacy that we trialled but which has thankfully disappeared during the last 20 years was a thin base pizza folded in half (much like a calzone) then battered and deep fried. Now that was AMAZINGLY revolting. :yuck::hungover::yuck::hungover::yuck:

I'm home now and Millie has finally eaten a proper dinner - her first for 10days!