What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
James and I were out for the day yesterday so I was armed with my trusty emergency supply of Serano Ham and Babybell just in case. However I managed to solve the "What an earth can I eat" Issue by having two starters and a pudding:) namely;

Fried Halloumi
Olives and marinated peppers
The Cheese Board, I asked for no crackers but extra celery

It was wonderful and I was so full that when I got back I only wanted a small cup of Bone Broth and still have not eaten.

On the subject of Pate thanks for the Mackeral recipe I do a lovely Chicken liver pate, by frying off chicken livers and bacon in duck fat, add a grated onion, garlic and thyme, fry off till liver is just cooked through, allow to cool then use a hand held blender to blitz along with a good couple of splashes of double cream.

Put into individual dishes or one big one, melt butter in a sauce pan along with some peppercorns, herbs of your choice and when melted pour over the pate and put in the fridge to set.

Reactions: 7 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
OMG...forgot to mention, I have been having a single square of Lindt 70% dark chocolate when I watch TV in the evening...well yesterday when I was shopping i found the Lindt 90% and was so chuffed Id got it. Tried to nibble on it last night, the significant word there was 'tried' oh dear, I would rather have nothing, it tastes like death, do you guys ever acquire a taste for that stuff? Back to 70% for me, although my DN told me today that 1 or 2 squares of any chocolate isn't enough to cause an issue. Will still stick to the 70% though for now, at least until my BG is regulated x
H TracyC, I have just bought ARRIBA SUPERIEUR Finest dark chocolate from Arriba Cocoa beans from Lidl 81% :)

Reactions: 2 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
B: slice chocolate mousse cake, raspberries, clotted cream
L: 1 slice seeded bread, avocado, smoked salmon, poached egg
D: chicken, gammon & leek pie, garlic mushrooms
S: BabyBel
Off on holiday tomorrow. Trying to eat up all the food in the fridge / cupboard. Goodness only knows what I'll be eating for the next 10 days!!
Have a good holiday :)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Thursday BG reading 5.9 in the morning
B bacon / mushroom / tomato / 1 slice of burgen bread
L 3 cubes of cheddar cheese 1 pkt of pork crunch 5 small chicken bites.
D crustless quiche half a can of zero coke
BG reading 2 hrs after dinner 5.2

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I love smoked mackerel pate! I usually just mash or whizz smoked mackerel with some full fat cream cheese, finely grated lemon zest, a finely grated garlic clove and enough lemon juice to get the preferred consistency. I also often stir in some finely chopped cornichon. But, on really busy (or lazy) days, I just whizz the smoked mackerel with garlic and herb Philadelphia. Simples. :) :) :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Today, FBG: 5.4 :)

Breakfast: Nothing
Lunch: Baked Skinless chicken thigh, roast cauliflower, steamed broccoli, gravy
Work meal: Roasted Mediterranean veg. with feta and a bag of herby salad leaves.
Supper: Lidl Turkish yoghurt with 20g Lindt 90% choc. grated over the top.

Seriously difficult at work at the moment- all the residents got Thorntons chocolate Easter goodies (Charlie Chick I think they're called) and huge Mars Bar Easter eggs as gifts from local businesses AND Easter eggs bought by the Charity I work for and yet MORE Easter goodies given by their parents and other relatives. Everywhere you turn there's chocolate! :( :( The parents even bought Easter eggs for us staff!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another quick ask please. I have noticed a few of you mentioning cauli mash? I am probably over thinking this but is it just mashed down cauli or is there more to it? Bought one today to go with sausages tomorrow for dinner and cant help thinking if i boil it and mash it down its going to be awful runny?

I find for cauli, broccoli and the like that steaming is better than boiling, if I want to do anything with the resulting veg. If my steamer is being used for something else, and I want the aforementioned cauli or broccoli, I drain it as much as I can then put it straight back into the still hot pan, and put it back onto the cooker top for a moment or two, without heat under it. The residual heat of the pan can help evaporate some of the remaining water.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TracyC I do similar to AndBreathe with regards to cauli. I do boil it until soft and then leave in a colander to steam and drain for a bit so it dries out. Then put into food processor with lots of butter and seasoning. I guess you could add cheese too at this point:hungry:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds great but unfortunately I am in the no dairy club. I make it similar but with mayo and smash it all with sea salt and onion bits. The lemon juice and horseradish sound nice for a little change. I just eat it on a small lettuce wrap.

Now I know what is having for lunch haha. I don't have mackerel but i do have smoked salmon and trout. Hm... Which One?

Reactions: 4 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
H TracyC, I have just bought ARRIBA SUPERIEUR Finest dark chocolate from Arriba Cocoa beans from Lidl 81% :)
Was it good? Ive gone back to my 70% very happy with that but always open to ideas! x

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
@TracyC I do similar to AndBreathe with regards to cauli. I do boil it until soft and then leave in a colander to steam and drain for a bit so it dries out. Then put into food processor with lots of butter and seasoning. I guess you could add cheese too at this point:hungry:
I'm going to be doing this tonight with sausages and peas and gravy! Thank you, that leaving it on the stove step sounds like a good idea ( as long as I don't forget it, I'm such an air head sometimes ) x

Reactions: 4 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B - Carob 9 bar L Lidl high protein Roll with lettuce, cheese, and apple. A handful of fresh cherries, a small handful of mixed nuts, a CoYo (coconut milk yogurt alternative) ...and yes I was hungry today lol D ( will be ) - Sausages, cauli mash, peas and gravy. S - apple and a square of 70% chocolate.

Reactions: 6 people

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ill again so can't eat, but having hypos. Had to buy the dreaded lucozade to sip throughout the day. I got the pink lemonade one so not quite as much sugar in it.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody

B. Raspberries and cream

L. Fried egg, rasher of bacon, 3 tiny sausages

D. Sirloin steak with Greek salad . Yummy :)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@s.sollis , sorry to hear you are not well. I hope you feel better soon.

I just wanted to say that the food discussions on this thread are really good. Thank you

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Getting some lovely ideas to try reading this forum.
Today B: berries & greek yoghurt
Lunch: Ham & mustard sarnie made with Bergen bread
Dinner:Coq au vin (Mary Berry style) with cauli mash, cabbage & broccoli

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ground flaxseeds, spoonful of yogurt
L: avocado, celery, few nuts
D: stir fry veggies, courgette noodles, sprinkle of seeds and cashews

Reactions: 5 people
D

debrasue

B: Genius gluten-free white toast & No-tella (69 cals/11g carbs per generously-spread slice - ahhhhhhhh, come to mama!! :happy:)
L: Chicken & salad leaves, raspberries & cream
D: Salmon, half a stuffed red pepper, asparagus, cheesy courgettes, mushrooms and a cauleriac cake

I've been craving something low-carb but carby-feeling to replace potatoes, rice or pasta and I think I've come up with it!
I boiled some cauliflower and celeriac, mashed them up with an egg, a dollop of Philadelphia full-fat cheese, a tbsp of coconut flour and a tsp of psyllium husks, spooned them into flat rounds on an oiled baking tray and baked them in a hot oven for 15-20 minutes. Voilá - the cauleriac cake is born and it's exactly what I was looking for! Almost potato-ey, satisfying, and a perfect texture and consistency to soak up sauce, gravy, etc. Using 200g cauli/celeriac mash makes 4 cakes at 107 cals/4.1g carbs each.
I'm going to try one with a fried egg for breakfast tomorrow.....
Kudos and thanks to @GeoffersTaylor for sparking the idea with his cauliflower tortillas. I LOVE this forum! :)

Reactions: 6 people