What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - none

Lunch - chicken salad with mayo; Diet Coke

Dinner - bolognese with courgetti and grated cheese; 2 squares Lindt 90%

Reactions: Chook
B

badcat

B- none
L- Coconut milk (thick) with almonds and rasperries
D - leek, mushroom and cheese omeltte with rocket and advocado
Drinks - 2 coffes with a little lactofree cream, 1.5 litre bottle sparkling water with the juice of 2 lemons

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Breakfast: Two boiled eggs, buttered Lidl roll soldiers, black coffee

Lunch: Not sure - maybe a few nuts if I can be bothered

Dinner: Creamed ratatouille with the last of the left over chicken BBQ skewers - probably with some purple sprouting broccoli as I've got LOADS of it sprouting in the garden - I think the hot weather has confused it or I bought the wrong seeds.

Two squares of 90%

Reactions: Goonergal
B

badcat

B - none
L - 1/2 Avocado with some toasted nori ( seaweed) and some chilli flavoured Munchy Seeds
D - 100g thick coconut milk with some cacoa nibs and almonds
Drinks - water with fresh lemon juice and a couple of coffees with a splash of lactofree cream
Will prob have the other 1/2 avocado later

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Heat still causing sugar levels to run a bit high and unusually hungry today. Food stocks also running low as I'm about to go on a 3 week holiday, so ate out twice.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - Nando's. Five plain wings with salad

Dinner - an experiment. Doner kebab (minus the bread). Huge portion. Ate slightly more than half of it and stuffed - an unfamiliar feeling since changing my diet. Will post later with impact on blood sugar.

Update. Exactly 1mmol rise 2 hours after dinner. Was 0.4mmol up after 1 hour. Don't think I'll do it too often, but at least the option is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Slightly higher today. Bed 6 FBG 6.3 and pre breakfast was 6.1. Very restless last night so not surprised but not that bothered either.
B. Boiled egg and Tassimo morning coffee and a dash of cream
L. Lidl high protein roll with lurpack and Smoked ham. Lettuce , 1 san manzano tomato and some of that cheese savoury again.
Made the mistake of having a bit of the remains of that Diet Doctor chocolate cake thingy- made me feel Yuk
D. If I ever feel like eating will be the Diet Doctor chilli salmon and a wee bit salad.
Currently drinking a lot of water.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Raspberries and cream

L. Camambert and walnuts

1 hours swimming

D. Jerk chicken drumsticks. Strawberries and Oppo salted caramel icecream:)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Breakfast: Two boiled eggs and buttered Lidl protein roll soldiers

Lunch: Not sure - maybe a few nuts

Dinner: I've got two planned - depending on the weather

(if its not too hot) Lamb chops, asparagus, purple sprouting broccoli and a couple of small Jersey Royals with loads of butter (fingers crossed that the JRs don't affect my BG - they haven't the last couple of times).

(if its hot) Mozzarella pearls, olives, ham, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and red onion

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Heat still causing sugar levels to run a bit high and unusually hungry today. Food stocks also running low as I'm about to go on a 3 week holiday, so ate out twice.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - Nando's. Five plain wings with salad

Dinner - an experiment. Doner kebab (minus the bread). Huge portion. Ate slightly more than half of it and stuffed - an unfamiliar feeling since changing my diet. Will post later with impact on blood sugar.

Update. Exactly 1mmol rise 2 hours after dinner. Was 0.4mmol up after 1 hour. Don't think I'll do it too often, but at least the option is there.

Thanks for posting the update!! I used to enjoy an occasional doner kebab (my local kebab shop is very good) but I haven't tried it and tested since I started low carbing.

Enjoy your holiday! Three weeks.... you lucky person :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still hanging in there bed 5.1 FBG 5.7 and pre breakfast was 6.3. Feeling lots better after that too rich bit of chocolate cake even if it was Diet Doctor
B. Boiled egg (need to get hubby to boil and shell more now)
L. Courgette Cheese "sandwich" - gee I love them. Fill you up for ages.
D. I have chicken breast soaking up a tikka seasoning. Planning on air frying it. Will have with oomi noodles or salad - haven't decided yet.
Meant to say , I had a cider 2 days ago and it made very little difference to my BG. Don't think that means I can drink loads but nice to have one with loads of ice on a hot day. I buy Thistley Cross cider - very dry and made locally.

Reactions: mo53 and Chook
B

badcat

B - nothing
L - made the diet doctor avocado pie which was delicious, but as usual with their recipes i was full on 1/2 a portion
D - plan to have the other 1/2 portion of avocado pie with a rocket and watercress salad
Drinks 2 coffes with a splash of lacto free cream. Also tried the Diet doctor keto hot chocolate bur sadly my verdict on that was that it's just plain nasty!

The Avocado pie macros are positively scarey when you enter them on MFP, ( 548 cal, 7g carbs, 47g fat, 12g protein and 14g fibre per half portion) but then again I can forgive almost anything when the recipe includes 2 avocados, virtually a whole jar of Stokes garlic mayo, chilli, coriander and cheese among its ingredients!

Waiting to see the effect on blood sugars with interest

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Goonergal and mo53

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B - nothing
L - made the diet doctor avocado pie which was delicious, but as usual with their recipes i was full on 1/2 a portion
D - plan to have the other 1/2 portion of avocado pie with a rocket and watercress salad
Drinks 2 coffes with a splash of lacto free cream. Also tried the Diet doctor keto hot chocolate bur sadly my verdict on that was that it's just plain nasty!

The Avocado pie macros are positively scarey when you enter them on MFP, ( 548 cal, 7g carbs, 47g fat, 12g protein and 14g fibre per half portion) but then again I can forgive almost anything when the recipe includes 2 avocados, virtually a whole jar of Stokes garlic mayo, chilli, coriander and cheese among its ingredients!

With 7g of carbs you shouldn't get much of an effect.

I know.... I used to put some of the DD recipes in to MFP and I had to stop because the fat macro scared me. :wideyed::wacky:

I shall have to try that pie - I love avocado.

B

badcat

B - nothing

Well the numbers are in
1 hr effect - + 0.1 mmol
2hr effect - +1.0 mmol
Obviously its a slow burner!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well the numbers are in
1 hr effect - + 0.1 mmol
2hr effect - +1.0 mmol
Obviously its a slow burner!

That'll be the fat content slowing it down. I get the same with the pizza. Still, thats a great result for a meal that filled you right up. Another keeper. :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for posting the update!! I used to enjoy an occasional doner kebab (my local kebab shop is very good) but I haven't tried it and tested since I started low carbing.

Enjoy your holiday! Three weeks.... you lucky person :)

Thanks @Chook and @maglil55 - off first thing in the morning. Will check in from time to time.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - nothing

There's loads of their recipes like that but to be honest I sometimes wonder about the accuracy of MFP. I have asked Diet Doctor about nutritional info and it's another thing in the works with No date.
@Chook , @Brunneria and myself all adjust the DD recipes. Don't get me wrong I love the recipes but sometimes there is way too much fat and way too big portions. They love frying veg in butter - I prefer to steam them and occasionally add a knob of butter. Same the chilli salmon which I love - The coating is way too much fat. I prefer to up the veg/salad.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last post before going away.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - 2 fried eggs, 3 rashers bacon (was expecting 2 but for some reason the cafe owner threw in an extra rasher), salad

Dinner - tuna mayo with rocket and baby plum tomatoes; 2 squares Lindt 90%

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Goonergal enjoy your holidays.

Food diary
B. Raspberries with cream

L. M&S lamb shawarma houmous meal

D. Whitebait tapas. Sirloin steak with tomato and onion salad