What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Day 1 of Week 3 of BSD

I lost just 2lbs this week :( I'm a bit :arghh::mad: because yesterday morning the scales showed that I had lost 4lbs this week but 2lbs of it came and found me again over night. Never mind, overall I'm down half a stone since I started the BSD.

My waist has gone down another inch.

Breakfast: 2 Brazil nuts

Lunch: Cup of bovril

Dinner: Coconut and chilli salmon with roasted Mediterranean veg.and maybe some more roasted garlicy lemon broccoli

Judlepip

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A bit late, but thank you @Brunnaria. Useful reply from you re the amount of fat in LCHF eating. Freedom from the tyranny of hunger is one of my aims!!

Judlepip

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry folk, but I'm trying to catch up here - what's BSD?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry folk, but I'm trying to catch up here - what's BSD?

That's okay, ask away. :)
BSD is the Blood Sugar Diet. It's like the Newcastle Diet but with real food instead of meal replacement drinks. The idea is you target fat loss from around the pancreas and liver with rapid weight loss by consuming 800 calories a day. Which is why I'm concerned about my waist measurement. Prof. Taylor from Newcastle University has a theory that we all have our own personal fat threshold at above which point our liver and pancreas stop functioning properly. Both Prof. Taylor and Michael Mosley who wrote the book Blood Sugar Diet say that (for many people) diabetes can be reversed if we can get below our own personal fat threshold. Others on this forum who have been successful on it call it being in 'remission' rather than 'reversed' as if you go back up over your own PFT the symptoms all come back..

I am doing this with real food because I don't think meal replacement drinks are particularly healthy - all E numbers and fairly carby.

Reactions: Judlepip

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yoghurt and 5 cherry tomatoes for breakfast.

5 small chicken drumsticks for elevenses.

Plan for rest of day is:

Smoked salmon and cream cheese sandwich for lunch.

Sirloin steak and veg for dinner.

3 eggs (scrambled or fried) for late snack @ 9pm.

Reactions: mo53

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is driving me nuts trying to suss out what is going on. Yesterday I had my less sugar latte on its own and my BG Dropped from its fasting level. This morning, despite being VLC yesterday I was still 8.2 , made the mistake of having that less sugar latte again on its own , and I surged to 11.3!! Have now had a zero carb breakfast about 1 HR ago and it is back down at 8.7 currently.
I was moderate carbs before but have gone VLC now. Does it just take time for the VLC to stabilise ?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food for today

Less sugar latte while rushing out on school run - we are done with this now after pushing me to 11.3
B. 2 scrambled eggs with parsley and 2 crispy bacon rashers. Black Tea.
L. Yesterday's salmon with chilli and spinach.
D. Another diet Doctor recipe red pesto chicken casserole with feta and olives and steamed greens.

I'm following their 2 week VLC challenge. My Fitness Pal put yesterday's at 18g of carbs but calories at 1300. I know you're not supposed to count calories but I can't see how I will lose weight at this level of calories. To be honest I'm more bothered about getting my BG down and controlled but I want to lose weight . I can live with the 20g carbs but I think eventually I'll have to cut back on the calorie intake or am I missing Something? I understand the principles of LCHF I just think calories have to play a role too. At least my Fitness Pal isn't moaning at me at the moment.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This is driving me nuts trying to suss out what is going on. Yesterday I had my less sugar latte on its own and my BG Dropped from its fasting level. This morning, despite being VLC yesterday I was still 8.2 , made the mistake of having that less sugar latte again on its own , and I surged to 11.3!! Have now had a zero carb breakfast about 1 HR ago and it is back down at 8.7 currently.
I was moderate carbs before but have gone VLC now. Does it just take time for the VLC to stabilise ?

I'm going through the same. I was 5.2 when I woke up then an hour later 6.3 before 'breakfast' (two Brazil nuts). 2 hours later it was still 6.3 and has now started to rise - currently at 6.7.

I've been looking back at my BG book and food diary (not something I do often enough) and there are two recurring conditions where my FBG has been good and remained good all day. The first is when I'm about 20lbs lighter than I am now and the other one has been at both Christmas Days and Boxing Days since I started low carbing. I looked at my food for both Christmases and the thing those four days have in common is with me (before breakfast) starting the day off with one or two sneaky home made truffles which I made from good choc, double cream and butter following it up 30=60 mins later with a smallish very low carb breakfast

It has really made me consider whether to add something like it to my diet like that first thing in the morning. I'm trying to think what else.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going through the same. I was 5.2 when I woke up then an hour later 6.3 before 'breakfast' (two Brazil nuts). 2 hours later it was still 6.3 and has now started to rise - currently at 6.7.

I've been looking back at my BG book and food diary (not something I do often enough) and there are two recurring conditions where my FBG has been good and remained good all day. The first is when I'm about 20lbs lighter than I am now and the other one has been at both Christmas Days and Boxing Days since I started low carbing. I looked at my food for both Christmases and the thing those four days have in common is with me (before breakfast) starting the day off with one or two sneaky home made truffles which I made from good choc, double cream and butter following it up 30=60 mins later with a smallish very low carb breakfast

It has really made me consider whether to add something like it to my diet like that first thing in the morning. I'm trying to think what else.
I've got everything needed to make these truffles (didn't get around to it at Christmas time) so will give it a try. I'm down another 0.5 in 30 mins. I've been having a look at my protein and fat intake as well. They have been pretty much equal in terms of daily g but I recall protein should be around 1g is it for each 1lb of ideal weight? If that is right then I'm down about 40g of protein daily. So maybe I need to up the protein and slightly reduce the fat. It's quite a balancing act.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

A brazil nut works for me. :) I have them on my bedside table.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A brazil nut works for me. :) I have them on my bedside table.
I have tried Brazil nuts a couple of times including this morning. They seem to pause / delay it but it still kicks in eventually. Same with Babybels.

Just been talking to a friend who pointed out there are many worse ways to starting the day than eating truffle as. :)

Reactions: mo53 and maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've got everything needed to make these truffles (didn't get around to it at Christmas time) so will give it a try. I'm down another 0.5 in 30 mins. I've been having a look at my protein and fat intake as well. They have been pretty much equal in terms of daily g but I recall protein should be around 1g is it for each 1lb of ideal weight? If that is right then I'm down about 40g of protein daily. So maybe I need to up the protein and slightly reduce the fat. It's quite a balancing act.
I think I'm the other way around - I eat enough protein, sufficiently low enough carbs but not enough fat, especially first thing in the morning.

Judlepip

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
2 boiled eggs for breakfast, Lambs liver for lunch. I tried coating it in crushed pork scratching instead of breadcrumbs, but really they were gross so had the liver plain fried. Nice. No carbs!! Cream in my coffee at coffee time and we're planning prawn frittata for supper. Yum! Weight's still going down!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I'm the other way around - I eat enough protein, sufficiently low enough carbs but not enough fat, especially first thing in the morning.
Still dropping 6.1 now. So it falls fine just need to work out what it wants in the morning. Trial and error I guess.

Reactions: mo53 and Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 boiled eggs for breakfast, Lambs liver for lunch. I tried coating it in crushed pork scratching instead of breadcrumbs, but really they were gross so had the liver plain fried. Nice. No carbs!! Cream in my coffee at coffee time and we're planning prawn frittata for supper. Yum! Weight's still going down!
I grind them in a food processor to a flour like texture. To be honest I wouldn't crumb liver anyway although I would dust it in seasoned flour but, since that isn't an option like you I just wouldn't bother. I am going to use a crunchier scratching mix on Friday to make jerk chicken drumsticks but it is mixed with unsweetened coconut so that will be another experiment (and another day of not telling hubby what he's eating )

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No breakfast (highly unusual, have tried 16:8 but struggle without breakfast, love it) but going out for lunch today so no breakfast.

Lunch. Smacked mackerel parfait with salad and alioli.

Belly pork, refused potatoes and apple sauce, green beans, cherry tomatoes and a side salad.

2 glasses red wine and a shot of brandy with a black coffee.

All delicious, won't eat again today, drinking black tea.

Reactions: Chook

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
B: Bulletproof coffee

L: Turkey stroganoff, salad

D: Moussaka made without the potatoes, green beans