What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hope so as I actually felt thinner which is why I hopped on scales for an early weigh in. I'm trying not to get obsessive about it but now I've started to make an effort to lose it, I just want to see it gone asap. I'm actually heavier than I thought I was( accidentally saw scale readout that hubby was trying to hide from me) so that, along with the form to request a retinal scan( I have a terrible anxiety about eyes as my gran and mum both have glaucoma and my gran had an eye removed due to a tumour) which came today have really dampened my mood. On a happier note by BS seems to be lowering so I suppose it's not all bad.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@cold ethyl I am concerned about the caffeine in gallons of green tea and how it might effect the quality of your sleep. Should I be concerned?

I only drink decaff!! Decaff tea, coffee and rarely decaff diet coke. As a student I used to drink the full caffeine stuff by the gallon not realising it can create a" recreational pharmaceutical type" high. Never again!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Sorry about your mum and gran. All the more reason for you to have regular eye screening. In that way, we are better off than many non-D folk.

You are heavier than you thought? I can sympathise as I once found out I was an inch shorter than I always though I was. It really messed with my BMI :facepalm:

Someone at work offered me green tea with jasmine recently saying it was caffeine free. Nah! I'll stick to my little flask of creamy decaf even if they do think I'm a weirdo :D

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry about your mum and gran. All the more reason for you to have regular eye screening. In that way, we are better off than many non-D folk.

You are heavier than you thought? I can sympathise as I once found out I was an inch shorter than I always though I was. It really messed with my BMI :facepalm:

Someone at work offered me green tea with jasmine recently saying it was caffeine free. Nah! I'll stick to my little flask of creamy decaf even if they do think I'm a weirdo :D

I am making hubby weigh me and write it down secretly as I am outfaced by the thought of how much I need to lose. I thought I was roughly what I weighed last time I weighed myself many moons ago but sadly not. Still I'll get there eventually.
I know the eye screenings are important and DIabetes has forced my hand on going as I've been putting it off till I felt less anxious( like that is ever going to happen ;-))
I actually like green tea, but not with any of those fancy flavours. I bought some fennel tea recently as they said it was good for anxiety on box- only thing was I forgot how much I hate aniseedy things! Still the food bank might find a use for it along with all the bags of rice and oatcakes I've cleared out of pantry today.

Reactions: 3 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

On balance, I found the thought of eye problems more terrifying than the white knuckle ride to the eye hospital. You have to choose your battles in this game :) X

Reactions: 5 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight we had grilled asparagus with olive oil and parmesan for starters. Then grilled chicken with fennel and red onions gilled too, and a bean salad and baba ganosh. No afters as we were full.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch: 2 quorn sausages, a fried egg, ketchup, creamy decaf.

Dinner: chickpea curry, minty yogurt, shredded romaine lettuce. Not very low carb, but it doesn't spike me.

Pudding: low carb key lime pie :hungry:

sq47.jpg
2py6b0y.jpg
How did the key lime go? You even piped the cream! A+ for effort. :playful:

I can't believe it, but I missed my key lime window of opportunity by falling asleep this afternoon. Gutted.

Had to make do with jelly and cream.

Cooked brekkie this morning. Slept through lunch (unheard of!)

Sausages and veg for tea.

I'm feeling green smoothie deficiency coming on, so may splurge tomorrow. Assuming I stay conscious...

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday I mucked up dinner. Hubby cooks at the weekend and quite often makes prawn cocktail. I know the sauce is naughty but hey ho. Anyway I got something out of the fridge, saw prawns, so bolused for it...except he'd only just got them out if the freezer- they're for today. Oops.
So I followed up dinner with strawberries and yogurt to make up for it. Dinner was nice though- mince and veg.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Avocado - where is the recipe from for key lime pie? It looks wonderful x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Avocado - where is the recipe from for key lime pie? It looks wonderful x

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.
Here you go...

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/key-lime-pie---low-carb-version/

A lot of the reviewers said that they doubled the quantity of pecan crust so I did that too (I did half pecan half almond due to the crazy price of pecans) but I don't think it needed the double crust. Would just do single quantity pecan next time.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! Will try that ASAP!

X

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
No lettuce either :-(

Will do a shop tomorrow!

I tried broc rice mixed with a bit of brown basmati rice and it was ok!

Even better, my kids (who are notorious for being fussy) ate it too.

I think that was a successful cooking session today!

X

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014.
Hi Debbie,
I know you're nervous about fat. I was too but I took the plunge. I think you can either go low GI and low fat or knock the rice, pasta, bread and pots on head. I buy 97% meat sausages and hubbie cooks 2 sausages, poached egg and sometimes fried mushrooms and tomatoes. It fills me up till lunchtime. No snack required. Think tapas for lunch. Nuts and cheese as little snacks (for me about 3pm) and then evening meal. Lots of fish or meat and green veggies or salad. Couple of squares of dark choccie in an evening after meal. Try www.dietdoctor.com

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This food thing really is a complete minefield, just watched a diabetic food show on YouTube when they say eating fruit is good, then that website says avoid it......told to avoid eggs because of cholesterol, then people are saying they're great....head is spinning, info overload lol
Hi there,
There are 2 schools of thought low fat and some carb combined with portion control or high fat low carb. The link for diet doc has already been posted. Basically don't avoid fat. Eat eggs don't eat pasta, rice, bread, potatoes and sweet stuff like cakes and bickies. Think fry up in morning without bread, tapas for lunch cheese and nuts for snacks and meat or fish with salad or veggies. Easy. Couple of squares of 70% dark choccie of an evening and a couple of glasses of wine a week. If you do this you'll lower bs, cholestrol and lose weight as well! Bonus! I've lost 2 stone 4lbs since jan 28 and halved hba1c to 42 from 79. Good luck!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Debbie,
I know you're nervous about fat. I was too but I took the plunge. I think you can either go low GI and low fat or knock the rice, pasta, bread and pots on head. I buy 97% meat sausages and hubbie cooks 2 sausages, poached egg and sometimes fried mushrooms and tomatoes. It fills me up till lunchtime. No snack required. Think tapas for lunch. Nuts and cheese as little snacks (for me about 3pm) and then evening meal. Lots of fish or meat and green veggies or salad. Couple of squares of dark choccie in an evening after meal. Try www.dietdoctor.com

I'm not totally scared of fat but am definitely skeptical about saturated fats. I went through my food planner and worked out in eating 80-100g carbs a day so I think that's ok.

What I wonder about LCHF is whether you need to do the ketosis thing first before you embark on eating loads of fat...I'm not sure I'm ready for that just yet as I'm still experimenting with foods and their impact on me.

Bread, pasta, most grains etc are pretty much banned!

We're off for a picnic in the park and I'm sure my girls will want an ice cream. I'll stay strong!!

X

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not totally scared of fat but am definitely skeptical about saturated fats. I went through my food planner and worked out in eating 80-100g carbs a day so I think that's ok.

What I wonder about LCHF is whether you need to do the ketosis thing first before you embark on eating loads of fat...I'm not sure I'm ready for that just yet as I'm still experimenting with foods and their impact on me.

We're off for a picnic in the park and I'm sure my girls will want an ice cream. I'll stay strong!!

X

Hi,

In my experience, the high fat part is what helps you reach ketosis.

Eating fat in your diet gets your body used to using fat as fuel. Once it is doing that it is a small step to using your body fat as fuel.

I would really struggle to reach ketosis on low carb, high protein, lowish fat - the extra protein gets broken down to slow release glucose, so it keeps BG higher, which keeps insulin higher, which inhibits ketosis.

Saw a documentary once where they were comparing weight loss (over the short term) on diff diets.

Incredibly, the fastest, easiest, weight loss occurred in the sample who were eating just full fat cream cheese. They were also the ones who reported highest satiety too. Astonishing eh? Probably the fastest way into ketosis I can imagine, unless you want to eat pure fat. Lol. Obviously not something your going to keep doing after you hit ketosis, but a good way to kick start it!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

X

The day I found out I was diabetic I came on this forum, Totto advised LCHF and as I had nothing to lose I started immediately. I eat at normal times. In the beginning I tested loads but don't unless I feel ill or am trying something new so now fasting bloods and after evening meal. Exercise is an issue in the week because job demands are unreasonable and have young family. Exercise at weekends. Don't worry about ketosis. Just try it out, check your bs and weigh yourself weekly. It really does work! If you're not eating bread or pasta you're pretty much there! Rice is the worst for me. As for ice cream.....
100ml double cream
100g frozen berries
1 tsp of sweetner
Blitz the berries in processor till tiny pieces. Add sweetener and cream. Blitz. Congrats! You've just made ice cream for 1 person. Straw bs work best.

Reactions: 6 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Scandi

Do you whip the double cream first or just use it straight from the tub?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm wondering if you could do a sorbet...
How about replacing the cream with diet lemonade, or ginger beer?

Pros:
  • Sorbet! Delicious on a hot summer day.
  • A light, crisp finish to a big meal
  • Very refreshing
Cons:
  • Low fat, so the berry carbs wouldn't be buffered by the cream
  • Main course would have to be higher fat to compensate...

But potentially... Yum!!!

How about a frozen rhubarb and diet ginger beer sorbet?
Or redcurrant and diet coke sorbet?

Reactions: 4 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had strawberries and cream for pudding last night...very nice. With this ice cream, do you need to put it in the freezer once it's been whipped up, or do the frozen berries make it cold enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.