What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Yesterday's food....

Breakfast: cheesy omelette

Lunch: Greek yogurt, strawberries, cinnamon. Fennel tea (my new favourite thing)

Dinner: aubergine curry with coconut flour flatbreads. 85% chocolate.

Verdict: very disappointed with the flatbreads. Like eating wet flip flops :***: I added some pistachios, flaked almonds and dried apricots to the mix to make them more interesting and peshwari-ish, but they were still not nice. The aubergine curry was tasty, but a funny texture and was a lot of faff to make (and this comes from the person who once spent a whole day making a trifle!). Won't be having this meal again.

Last edited:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry tea wasn't good. At least now I know not to buy the flour to make them! I think I'd probably just buy some low carb tortillas eventually as a treat.
I'm not keen on aubergines. The cooked texture always reminds me of slugs for some reason and they don't ever have much flavour. Can you eat pulses ok, as I have a lovely black eyed bean and mushroom curry recipe?

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Serves 6
black-eyed-beans-camel-csa-200x300.jpg

Preparation time: 1 hour 10 minutes (includes 1 hour soaking time)
Cooking time: 1 hour

Ingredients
225g dried black-eyed beans, washed and drained
1.15 litres water
225g mushrooms
6 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
2.5cm stick of cinnamon
150g onions, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
400g tinned tomatoes
2 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tsp ground cumin seeds
½ tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp chopped coriander or parsley

Method

Put the beans and water into a heavy pot and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer gently for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the pot sit, covered and undisturbed, for 1 hour.

While the pot is resting, cut the mushrooms through their stems into 3mm thick slices. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium flame. When hot, put in the whole cumin seeds and the cinnamon stick. Let the sizzle for 5-6 seconds. Now put in the onions and garlic. Stir and fry until the onioin pieces turn brown at the edges. Put in the mushrooms. Stir and fry until the mushrooms wilt. Now add the tomatoes and ground coriander, ground cumin, turmeric and cayenne. Stir and cook for a minute. Cover, turn heat to low and let the mixture cook in its own juices for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat under the pan.

Bring the beans to the boil again. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the beans are tender. To this bean and water mixture, add the mushroom mixture, salt, black pepper and fresh coriander/parsley. Stir to mix and bring to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, on medium-low heat for another 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove cinnamon stick before serving.

It's a Madhur Jaffrey one. Copied this offline. I quite often just use tinned beans and add them to the part cooked mushroom and toms mix.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Yes, I am good with pulses! Thanks ethyl, will give it a try. I need something tonight that will go well with knob creek bourbon...and Metallica :hungry:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I am good with pulses! Thanks ethyl, will give it a try. I need something tonight that will go well with knob creek bourbon...and Metallica :hungry:

Nothing goes well with Metallica ;-) I'm a huge rock fan but gave up round about the new wave of British metal and the likes of Metallica. I'll stick to my Deep Purple and Zeppelin.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol... I preferred David Coverdale though now he has the look of a tangoed startled rabbit. Botox, so much to answer for.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Lol... I preferred David Coverdale though now he has the look of a tangoed startled rabbit. Botox, so much to answer for.
I could eat the young Coverdale with a spoon! :joyful:

Sorry for the hijack, foodie guys :jimlad:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
too many carbs- perhaps spread it out over a few days or weeks and add lots of whipped cream to compensate.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Give me strength! I'm seriously craving something sweet but seeing as fruit and nuts are contraband for two weeks what can I do?!

Ended up having a cinnamon coffee and Turkish yoghurt with sweetner and cinnamon. Was nice actually. Just wondering what I'm gonna do for next sweet craving....;)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debmcgee

1 mug
1 heaped tsp good quality cocoa powder (I loooove green&blacks)
1 heaped tsp sweetener (I use xylitol)
Dash of cream (I use more than a dash, actually)
Mash/blend/beat until a smooth paste
Add hot water to fill cup
Enjoy
All quantities adjustable according to taste.

Choc craving and sweet craving shot down in one fell swoop!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debmcgee

1 mug
1 heaped tsp good quality cocoa powder (I loooove green&blacks)
1 heaped tsp sweetener (I use xylitol)
Dash of cream (I use more than a dash, actually)
Mash/blend/beat until a smooth paste
Add hot water to fill cup
Enjoy
All quantities adjustable according to taste.

Choc craving and sweet craving shot down in one fell swoop!

I think I love you ;)

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, bummer, I had to make some chocolate muffins last night - I wanted one for supper, and it finished off my ground lamonds (better know not those who can type properly as almonds!!) - and I know from previous visits that they don't stock them in our local shop. :(:( So I either wait till Tuesday or possibly try coconut flour instead.

Robbity

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I toddled off to our wee Tesco for black eyed beans, and they don't sell them! :bored: I will have to get them in Sainsburys next time. Fortunately Tesco was selling off posh veg with yellow stickers so all was not lost. My absolute favourite thing in the world is deep fried Brie with gremolata. It's my death row dinner :hungry: Due to the lack of breadcrumbs in my life and the recent shortage of fake Parmesan, I thought it was off the menu.....until tonight! :joyful:

Brunch: a blob of Brie. Fennel tea. Forgot my met.

Dinner: deep fried Brie with gremolata, asparagus, tenderstem broccoli and leaves. Off to find some late metformin and alcohol to complete this lovely meal.

(Brie double breaded in egg and livelife crumbs with fake Parmesan and topped with the zest and juice of lime and lemon and chopped garlic)

Last edited:

HA3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy day so not my best
breakfast-egg and bacon
lunch- boiled egg and mayo bergen bread sarnie.
dinner-oh dear, chicken and chips from the chippy. Only had a small chips but ate them all!, went for chicken instead of fish so I didnt have any batter. Didnt test before as only 1 strip left til mon. Debating whether to test at post 2 hours......:nailbiting:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hardcore low carb today - til dessert.

Brie puffs for breakfast
Pork scratchings for lunch
Lamb and veg stew for dinner

I broached the durian this afternoon (using my 20 yr old Kleeneze bread knife. Is there nothing this marvellous tool can't achieve? Once I even cut a shower curtain to length with it!). It went much better than I expected, although the smell off an open durian was less appetising than the unopened smell had been.

Made a durian cheesecake (cream cheese with almond base). Mr B found it strangely enticingly delicious. I found it utterly, stomach turningly revolting - which was a bit disappointing!

I was so surprised that I sampled my durian crisps again, and found them delicious, again.

Very odd.

communistkiro

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: coffee with milk, 2 piece of crispbread with gouda slices, 10g of carbs + negligible ammounts from milk and cheese

Lunch: 150g of gouda, 60g pork ham, 3 more pieces of crispbread, 150g tuna with mayo

Snack?: roasted flaxseed /still pretty bad/

Dinner: wurst 5x80g, cottage cheese with a cube of sugar for dessert

Coke and coffee throughout the day ~2,5 L

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
@ Brunneria
Had you ever smelt durian before today.? I'm afraid I had a belly laugh reading that :)
At least Mr B liked the cheesecake. Not really got any recipe suggestions as all good ones are for non diabetics, it really is lovely with sweet sticky rice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.