Not open for further replies.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I only just started testing sugars this weekend .... why would my lowest carb meal (2 hours later) show highest blood sugar reading over the 2 days? Could it have been the tea with 1/2 tsp honey in a few hours earlier. Sorry but I'm new to all this but finding it interesting all the same!

0900 Juice of ½ Orange w/Mineral Water
½ Grapefruit
½ C Baked Beans
Bacon
1100 BLOOD SUGAR: 5.3
Coffee w/Mllk
1130 Handful Almonds & Brazilnuts
1330 Cauliflower & Watercress Soup topped w/Blue Cheese
1 Oatbran Cracker w/Avocado & Marmite
Chai Tea w/Milk & ½ Tsp Honey
1600 Mandarin, Babybel Light Cheese
1800 Chinese Stir Fry of Hoki Fillets, Broccoli, Mustard Greens, Red Peppers, Garlic, Ginger, 5 Spice, Oyster Sauce, Olive Oil
Slendier No Carb Noodles
2015 BLOOD SUGAR: 6
Stewed Rhubarb & Yogurt

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lesleywo

If you are just testing 2 hours after eating you may be missing your peak. Try testing before eating then at 1 hour and 2 hours. Just a thought.

Reactions: 2 people

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 poached eggs, 2 burgen toast, 2 rashers of bacon.

dinner - 1 Pork chop, cabbage, peas, carrots, broccoli, butternut squash and cauli mash, roasted butternut squash, roasted cauliflower, 100ml gravy. First time ive tried roasted cauli and it was delicious! :hilarious:

suehatton

Had breakfast out and white toast was the only option. I had it, but I can hardly keep my eyes open. Anyone think this is down to the bread? Had nothing else carby today.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Full fat Greek yogurt with 75g strawberries

105g tinned salmon, spring onion, cheese, cherry toms, mayo, a slice of bread and butter (Hovis 7 seeds wholemeal)

For evening meal later:
Roast chicken, garden peas, carrots, cauliflower, tiny amount of gravy, 2 roast spuds, red wine.

Snacks - Masses of water and several mugs of tea with a dash of milk.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had breakfast out and white toast was the only option. I had it, but I can hardly keep my eyes open. Anyone think this is down to the bread? Had nothing else carby today.

Yes! I had to make cakes today and may have sampled the goods and fell asleep!

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

suehatton

Found a smaller burgen loaf with only 9 a slice. Great cos you will still feel like you had 2 rounds of toast but for far less. And with this decreased appetite sometimes 2's too many anyway!!!! Who can believe it??

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast scrambled egg
Lunch chilli , cheese, salad
Supper couple ham slices, cheese portions, pickled onions ( not really hungry- sickly hot today here)
May have a few strawbs later

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Small porridge ( as got no eggs )

Cheese salad

Salmon and cauliflower Kaeng som (sour curry)
Egg and onion omelette (thai style)

Strawberries and cream

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weekend away at parents - bless them. Seriously. Bless their considerate interest in my health, and bless them for actually listening to my dietary requirements. In the past, I've made low carb noises and then not fought very hard when the icecream appeared. This time I explained about my BG meter, explained the principles, explained that I now have to be stricter than before. Ma listened, and this is what we ate:

Fri
Breakfast - tinned salmon and mayo
Lunch - tinned salmon and pork scratchings and salad
Evening - rooibosh, crust less quiche, salad

Sat (at parents)
Breakfast - scram eggs and latte
Lunch - smoked salmon, smoked mackerel, hummus, coleslaw, mayo, green salad, cherry toms, cucumber, berries n cream
Dinner - lamb steaks, steamed kale, runner beans, courgettes in tomato and onion, with added butter. Strawbs n cream, 2 squares 70% choc

Sun (Brek and lunch at parents)
Breakfast - steamed salmon steak and mayo
Lunch - cold roast chicken and rest same as Saturday, including berries n cream.
Dinner - lamb rogan josh and veg pakora (too carby!)

What an awesome weekend.
Even managed to take my father's BG several times!!! :wideyed:
Unfortunately it was bad news. He's well into the prediabetic zone, poss diabetic :(:(:(
I've left him a BG meter and he's going to test for a while, esp after eating carbs.

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At least you've spotted your dad's condition so he's got the chance to change the odds. And you've learnt so much and are best placed to help him.

Xxx

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At least you've spotted your dad's condition so he's got the chance to change the odds. And you've learnt so much and are best placed to help him.

Xxx

Yes, but they only told me yesterday that he had a fasting BG 3 years ago, scoring 6.7
This was followed by a precautionary Oral glucose tolerance test which scored 6.9 at 2 hours.
The surgery dismissed this as 'normal'
And it's the first I've heard of any of it.

And there has been no follow up, despite a STRONG family history of type 2

*visual image of me tearing my hair!*

- in what parallel universe is a fasting BG of 6.7 'normal'?

Yesterday, his readings were
6.1 pre dinner and 8.2 after a meat and veg plus berries and cream dinner, followed by an espresso with 1 sugar.
(My pre-dinner reading was 5.3, after the same brekkie, lunch and long dog walk)

Hopefully he will map out his BG over the next few days. I've left him with 50 strips...

Last edited by a moderator:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My original fasting tests were 6.5 and 6.6 and docs were v flippant about it - I really don't think they care til you hit 7 and can be classed as diabetic proper!

I think our parents' generation don't question docs like we do or jump straight on the web to find out more.

I totally understand your frustration. I don't think I'll ever stop being shocked at the nhs and it's incompetence xxx

Reactions: 3 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a cheat dinner and ate 3 slices of pizza (!)quinoa salad and Spanish paella and my fasting sugars the next dat was 5.2

Didn't have anything to eat, 30 min later went to the gym had a session with my trainer--did some serious weight training then checked my sugar after it's 6.3, weird when I didn't eat anything and had a pretty intense workout. Not sure why sugars jumped after exercise when it normally drops after workout (?) :-(

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me please? Breakfast of Oats, Soymilk, Rhubarb & Nuts, 2 hours later BG is 5.7, cup of coffee with cold milk in the top around 11am, felt a bit hypo as I didn't have morning tea, tested at 1.15pm to see how low sugars had gone and they'd gone up to 7.3!! What the heck does this mean?

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me please? Breakfast of Oats, Soymilk, Rhubarb & Nuts, 2 hours later BG is 5.7, cup of coffee with cold milk in the top around 11am, felt a bit hypo as I didn't have morning tea, tested at 1.15pm to see how low sugars had gone and they'd gone up to 7.3!! What the heck does this mean?

I tested again at 3.45pm (I was scared it would have gone up even higher after a jacket potato for lunch) and it was down to 5.7...help!

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday:

1 weetabix, milk no sugar

Snacked on 1 slice corned beef and couple squares of cheese, drank lots of water during the day

Main meal pork steak, cauliflower cheese carrots two tiny new potatoes gravy

Strawberries and cream

1 square 70% dark chocolate as a treat
Highest level all day was 6.3 after weetabix and 6 after main meal would normally have more of a low carb lunch but was busy doing chores and main meal was under way earlier being sunday

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tested again at 3.45pm (I was scared it would have gone up even higher after a jacket potato for lunch) and it was down to 5.7...help!
Hi,
I think that rise, then fall, may have been one of two things:
Either the coffee spiked you (combo of caffeine and other chemicals, which affect some people, and cause the BG to rise)
Or your BG dropped when your breakfast fuel ran out, and your liver dumped glucose into your bloodstream to compensate. Had you been dashing around or stressed ?

Why not try a couple of wee tests:
Try coffee, by itself, a few times, and see if there is a consistent spike after. If so, consider only drinking it with meals, or switch brand (some brands affect me, some don't)
And try having a protein, slow release breakfast, like egg and bacon, and avoid the carbs. You may find it lasts till lunch and your liver won't need to step in.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi,
I think that rise, then fall, may have been one of two things:
Either the coffee spiked you (combo of caffeine and other chemicals, which affect some people, and cause the BG to rise)
Or your BG dropped when your breakfast fuel ran out, and your liver dumped glucose into your bloodstream to compensate. Had you been dashing around or stressed ?

Why not try a couple of wee tests:
Try coffee, by itself, a few times, and see if there is a consistent spike after. If so, consider only drinking it with meals, or switch brand (some brands affect me, some don't)
And try having a protein, slow release breakfast, like egg and bacon, and avoid the carbs. You may find it lasts till lunch and your liver won't need to step in.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Thank you for the info .... I will do some experimenting. You must be Scottish .. when I first read 'try some wee tests' I thought you meant urine tests LOL! I have only just starting this blood sugar testing lark .... my dietician said that coffee makes your BG drop and I was likely having hypos. But I guess the meter doesn't lie ... will let you know how I get on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.