What is there left to eat?

byte83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Been t2 since June, and am struggeling to find food i can eat. This is made all the more difficult due to intolerance of lactose, seafood, spicy, any type of beans, it was hard pre diagonosis t2. But now i'm supposed to cut down sugar/carbs which i was basicly living on. Can anyone offer any advise?
Thanks

Carbdodger

Hi to you as well
what about
Eggs - so very many ways to cook
meat - yum
Green veg
Other low carb veg - celeriac, swede, turnip
Berries

In my mind a multitude of low carb DB friendly opportunities.
Enjoy.
Cd

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, not much really! I don't low carb as it's mostly food I dont like and people seem horrified that i don't! But I'm not a rabbit and seeds, nuts, veg ect are not my thing! I guess everyone is different but low carbing is not for me.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I'm not a rabbit either, nor a low carber but it's safe to say that there are small changes you can make to your diet which should help..and it's not all nuts and seeds.

I have switched to Burgen bread, the Linseed and Soya grain loaf (available most places but 2 for £2 at Iceland!). Try and cut the amount of bread, pasta, rice and spuds that you eat and increase the amounts of veg. Root veggies are higher in carbs but I certainly wouldn't disallow them, increase your amounts of cauli, broccoli, savoy cabbage etc. Meat is fine, switch to sugar free versions of coke, pepsi etc and obviously substitue sweetener for sugar.

There are loads of differing opinions here on the forum but I think that making small changes at first can make a lot of difference.

It is up to the individual whether they are willing to make changes or not, but I think to not be willing to make any change at all can be asking for trouble and will certainly have repurcussions further down the line. Have a good nose around the forum, there are lots of food ideas both in low carb and elsewhere..ask lots of questions and you will always get someone to give you a bit of advice.

Good luck :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Byte

Have a look on the Low-carb diabetes diet forum, and you'll find a sticky thread called Viv's Modified Atkins Diet. This is the diet I use, which has given me a weight loss of 56lbs (4 stone) in 12 months, and also an HbA1c last week of 5.2. The beauty of it is that you can eat as much as you like of the allowed foods - no portion weighing etc. You don't have to eat fish if you can't tolerate it.

I am obese and still have a lot to lose. I would have lost more if it hadn't been for odd lapses into red wine :oops: :lol: .

The diet has a carb content of about 25g per day, which may be more extreme than you need. Get yourself a carb counter book (Collins Gem Carb Counter is fine) and have a look at the foods you usually eat to see how much carb you're taking in now. Then work out how many carbs you think you ought to be eating, use the above diet as a base, and add in a few more carby things to your daily diet.

I can eat a couple of slices of Tesco Multigrain bread, but not every day. I sometimes eat about 40g of Lizi's Granola for breakfast, but again, not every day. Two nights ago I had a curry with rice and naan bread, but that's a very occasional treat - same with fish and chips.

You may find you get good results by cutting down the portion size of your carbs; or that you can eat some carbs but not others. Have you got a meter to test your blood glucose? They are such a useful tool in finding out how different foods affect you.

There are some very good cooks on here, and some great recipes on the low carb forum. Have a read round, and ask again if you have any more questions.

Viv 8)

byte83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the replies, Bit slow on my response as was on holiday (was not a good girl but 1st hol in years so am startring being good again). I will have look round see whats what.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Many of us know from experience that the NHS party line on diet for diabetics - eat starchy carbs at every meal - doesn't work for us as individuals. We have used our meters to help us work out what is best for each of us to eat, and what we need to avoid.

To be quite fair to HCPs, not all of them follow the 'starchy carbs' idea. Neither my GP nor the practice nurse has any problems with me low-carbing. A one-size fits all approach is not appropriate for Type 2s. Some of us can include carbs with no problem, and eat a 'normal' diet with smaller portions of carbs. Others prefer to cut down quite drastically.

Testing at the beginning is essential to learn what different foods do to your blood glucose. Meters are an invaluable tool.

Viv 8)

Grazer

viviennem said:
Many of us know from experience that the NHS party line on diet for diabetics - eat starchy carbs at every meal - doesn't work for us as individuals. We have used our meters to help us work out what is best for each of us to eat, and what we need to avoid.

To be quite fair to HCPs, not all of them follow the 'starchy carbs' idea. Neither my GP nor the practice nurse has any problems with me low-carbing. A one-size fits all approach is not appropriate for Type 2s. Some of us can include carbs with no problem, and eat a 'normal' diet with smaller portions of carbs. Others prefer to cut down quite drastically.

Testing at the beginning is essential to learn what different foods do to your blood glucose. Meters are an invaluable tool.

Viv 8)

Hi Viv, I'm sure you've twigged it, but our Alexander telling us he/she can even eat snacks is non-diabetic.

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My niece has just been diagnosed as gluten intolerant so I did my usual and attacked relevant web-sites and cookery books.
There are many, many recipes for lactose intolerant- spicy, seafood and bean eater avoiders.
There are so many alternatives to having milk with lactose in it.
I now have a couple of books I use when I need gluten free and low carb recipes when said niece comes to dinner.
It might take a bit more effort I can't auto pilot meals at the drop of a hat yet without checking is this gluten free or not but it won't take me long. I learnt to do it relatively quickly for low carbing.
Being gluten free for her is working. She is much happier with herself now.
Good luck with your look around.

ecneps

ladybird64 said:
I'm not a rabbit either, nor a low carber but it's safe to say that there are small changes you can make to your diet which should help..and it's not all nuts and seeds.

I have switched to Burgen bread, the Linseed and Soya grain loaf (available most places but 2 for £2 at Iceland!). Try and cut the amount of bread, pasta, rice and spuds that you eat and increase the amounts of veg. Root veggies are higher in carbs but I certainly wouldn't disallow them, increase your amounts of cauli, broccoli, savoy cabbage etc. Meat is fine, switch to sugar free versions of coke, pepsi etc and obviously substitue sweetener for sugar.

There are loads of differing opinions here on the forum but I think that making small changes at first can make a lot of difference.

It is up to the individual whether they are willing to make changes or not, but I think to not be willing to make any change at all can be asking for trouble and will certainly have repurcussions further down the line. Have a good nose around the forum, there are lots of food ideas both in low carb and elsewhere..ask lots of questions and you will always get someone to give you a bit of advice.

Good luck :)
I found bergun bread was just the same as ordinary at spiking my blood sugar a much better alternative is wholemeal PITTA bread only 49p from aldi for 6 pittas per pitta 32 grams of carb cut in half 16 grams of carb ( when cut in half it makes 2 pieces of bread because it's hollow

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have plenty of nuts - particularly ground almond & coconut flour to replace wheat flour in a cake mix I use as a staple.