What is your current diet?

sd3oaa

Hi there, my friend recently got diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and he was wondering if he would still be able to enjoy his favorite foods from time to time? Obviously his life has changed completely but he has accepted the presence of his condition and is learning to adapt.

I look forward to your answers. :)

Thank you.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I avoid carbohydrate in meals. It means preparing meals at home and taking them to work. Not difficult when it becomes a routine.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, my friend recently got diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and he was wondering if he would still be able to enjoy his favorite foods from time to time? Obviously his life has changed completely but he has accepted the presence of his condition and is learning to adapt.

Thank you.
My current diet is a bit extreme (Carnivore), but that's because there's more going on than "just" the T2 these days. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is Low Carb/High fat, and that was enough to put the T2 in remission. (No cure, just well-controlled). It might help your friend. Keto and Intermittent Fasting followed, but I guess I would've been fine sticking with LCHF it is was just the T2. As for whether he can still have his favourite foods from time to time, that wholly depends on him. What his favourite foods are, whether his body can handle them, -his meter'll let him know- and whether he's likely to suffer carb cravings after having them. (And then having the spine not to give in if he does choose to roll those dice, as that way lies disaster. And believe me, it is HARD).

Basically, he can do whatever he wants though. Some of us do excellent on diet, others feel they can't adhere to one for whatever reason (medical, mental, cultural) and have to go with medication and a smidge of a diet, or medication only. Sad thing about meds only though is that the T2 will be progressive then, and require ever more medication. He's got options though.

You're a good friend for asking. :)
Jo

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you.
It depends really... what are his favourite foods? What is time to time?

I am type 2 and for a long time ate whatever I wanted because the drugs kept things in check. A bad behaviour in hindsight! I now have dramatically lowered my carbs and do at least 30 mins exercise a day. Still on all the drugs but am in process of retests to see if my levels have still dropped allowing removal of drugs, find out this week

The drugs masked it for a while, but it doesn’t last forever and they up the drugs leading to insulin, that was my path and it’s not good

I still occasionally have a cake or a pizza or fish and chips, I.e. the bad stuff but I try very hard to limit to once a week and ideally going to make that even longer. I also do tend to try and up my exercise when I do

but... they are addictive, eat one and I want more. It works okay for me right now, but that could easily change

Honestly, I would prefer not to, I want to do proper low carb but for me, the thought of never having the stuff I like, ever... that’s where I tend to give up, so I try to moderate. I won’t admit to finding low carb the easiest as am getting a bit fed up of it, but I also do like (nearly) fitting into medium size shirts rather than xxl

although vanity sizing of clothes is a pain (but that’s a whole different topic!)

Reactions: RFSMarch

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LCHF whenever I am able to with the aim of less that 100g of carbs a day.
I googled a lot of LC equivalents of a lot of my favourite things or substitute low GI foods for the usual tasty but v bad carbs.
I did a lot of monitoring in the early days to work out at what level I spike so that if I had to resort to the bad/worse carbs I knew how much I could have before my numbers jumped. Now I usually spiralise courgette for pasta and sweet potato or thinly shredded cabbage as a noodle substitute, cauliflower blitzed in the food processor for a fried rice substitute.

During lockdown I must have been the only person I knew who really honestly did not care that every scrap of pasta had been cleared from the supermarket shelves!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LCHF/Keto. Absolutely no sugar, grains, potato or rice. Net carbs targeted under 30g/day. I also go out of my way to eat avocados as often as possible.

Today for example was No breakie. Sausages and an avocado for lunch. Roast chicken thighs and cauliflower rice with cheese sauce for dinner. Peanuts for a snack.

I'm also doing Intermittent Fasting. 20/4 or 18/6 most days. A longer fast about every 2 weeks. My most recent was 48 hours.