What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning from a very dark and getting more dangerous, north.

The wonder wheel of ticking time bombs and roasted pork belly came in at 4.5 this am

PM briefing yesterday. Some reporter asked about the number of people that are still not “doing the right thing” when it comes to social distancing....blah blah blah. Veiled reply by PM that quite soon he may be taking these decisions out of our hands. I think that he should have done that by now - too many selfish fools about but maybe they will end up being culled. I think this comes from the top - Boris needs to get far more serious; just stick to short sentences, using plain words, with one message in each sentence instead of blustering about like that orange idiot over the pond.

Mrs Miggins reported that local supermarket is now rationing a number of goods - hooray! They have evidently had plans to do this in place since the SARS episode so have been bewilderingly slow to implement them.

On a brighter note, bumble bees spotted in the garden yesterday and lots of birds around the bird feeders. Reports from Italy say that the rivers and the land is sighing with relief, getting cleaner by the hour with no pesky people polluting stuff.

It’s getting light now - oh how the hour has flown. Take care everyone - koffy calls

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just received this from a friend who is on Sainsbury’s mailing list.

You know I won’t shop at Sainsbury’s because of something bad they did to me and my first hearing dog for the deaf years ago. My principles stand, even in an apocalypse so I will NOT be using this service, but for those of you who may want and need this service I copy and paste this email my friend sent me. It is from their chief executive.

“Dear K____,

I wrote to you last week to tell you about some of the steps we are taking to support increased demand for food and other essential items.

After I wrote to you last week, many of you replied. You wrote to share your concerns about our elderly and vulnerable customers and to ask if we can do more to restrict the number of items each person can buy. I have listened to feedback from you and from Sainsbury's colleagues across the country and wanted to share some of the extra steps we are taking to make sure everyone has access to the items that they need:

A number of you suggested that we reserve an hour in stores for elderly and vulnerable customers. In response to this request, we will set aside the first hour in every supermarket this Thursday 19th March, for elderly and vulnerable customers. I hope that you can respect this decision and will work with us as we try our best to help those that need it the most. If you or an elderly family member, friend or neighbour would like to shop during this hour, please check online for your local supermarket opening hours.

We will also help elderly and vulnerable customers access food online. From Monday 23rd March, our online customers who are over 70 years of age or have a disability will have priority access to online delivery slots. We will contact these customers in the coming days with more details.

For any online customer who can travel to our stores, from Monday 23rd March, we will operate an expanded 'click and collect' service. We are significantly increasing the number of collection sites across the country over the coming days in preparation for this. Customers can place their order online as usual and pick it up from a collection point in the store car park. We believe this will also work for people who are self-isolating.

As we work to feed the nation, we are also focusing all of our efforts on getting as much food and other essential items from our suppliers, into our warehouses and onto shelves as we possibly can. We still have enough food for everyone - if we all just buy what we need for us and our families.

To help us get more essential items onto the shelves, from this Thursday 19th March, we will be closing our cafes and our meat, fish and pizza counters in supermarkets. This means we can free up warehouse and lorry capacity for products that customers really need. It will also free up time for our store colleagues to focus on keeping the shelves as well stocked as possible.

I mentioned last week that we had put limits on a very small number of products. Following feedback from our customers and from our store colleagues, we have decided to put restrictions on a larger number of products. From tomorrow, Wednesday 18th March, customers will be able to buy a maximum of three of any grocery product and a maximum of two on the most popular products including toilet paper, soap and UHT milk. We have enough food coming into the system, but are limiting sales so that it stays on shelves for longer and can be bought by a larger numbers of customers.

Finally, I wanted to end by saying a huge thank you to Sainsbury's colleagues across the business. Everyone is working flat out in difficult circumstances to do their best to serve our customers. If you're able to say thank you to them when you see them, I know they would hugely appreciate it.

Best wishes

Mike”

Right, I am gone, to get my table top replacement cooker, and a spare kettle while I am at it....

Reactions: Barb McD

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A sad cynical JJ this morning
So apologies.

Bright stuff.

we had our first street "balconey " sing song yesterday
a nice if noisy moment.
Loved the toilet humour @gennepher ..:hilarious:

onto the less good..
Londoners advised to ONLY make essential Journeys
tube lines closing as pointed out earlier, so be advised.
if coming in.
Troops being readied.

agree with you @dunelm
we have just been desperately slow in ALL of this.
Supermarkets for sure, BUT where was the government lead in all this.
.predictable panic, yet they let it fester until now we have empty shelves.:banghead:

see Morrisons i think are making up basic food parcels to deliver,..good idea
and other online deliveries are limiting the amounts due to all the Online shoppers stripping the stores, while they wag their fingers in a superior way at those in shop doing the same..:rolleyes:

all aided and abetted by the 'IT's JUST FLU' brigade, which was never really challenged forcefully enough in my mind.

Sure if the IJF'ers are so convinced, the NHS will be desperate for the help during the coming storm.
or will the despicable's just hide out ,
while all those foolish enough to listen will be clogging up the hospitals as they sicken in their thousands..:banghead:

Dropped off some saved up supplies to my niece and nephews yesterday.(clairvoyant, me :rolleyes:)
yet another depressing example of the misery the deniers have left in their moronic wake.

despite me asking, telling beseeching them to prep, that 'rolled Eyes' as i bored them, swiftly changed to WIDE EYED in shock yesterday. as they saw the shops for themselves as they finally stirred to the danger.

Really can't say it's a good day......just waiting for the hammer to fall.

Just about to have a 'domestic' as me n Lauren discuss the merits of her setting off to work in Chernobyl,
OR as she cheerfully calls it a "foraging expedition"

...:hilarious:..or...:arghh:..
who knows, a little of both i think

FBG 5.3 so that's nice.
temp 36.7.
Normal‎: ‎36.5–37.5 °C (97.7–99.5 °F)

catch ya all later.
Stay well
Stay safe.

This is JJ.
the London Front line
P day -1

Top TIP, from Lauren.

keep it to yourself, but she hits all the local stores and Big supermarkets..no good

M&S..Bingo..GO before it all goes.;)

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No FBG this morning switched the news on instantly I got up .almost wished I hadn't ...the education secretary was being interviewed schools closed today head teachers asking questions about procedures who are key workers what's the plan that is all to come after further discussions ***...I agree with @dunelm & @jjraak no leadership...I am doing my best to protect myself & checking on family...I have my hand sanitiser anti-bacterial wipes & disposable gloves apparently I have more to protect me than some of our first responders (Scotland)...new legislation coming today for protection & non-compliance arrest detention & containment so what do those do who cannot comply i.e. the homeless mentally ill without funds...no distinction between those who cannot comply & those who deliberately won't...enough now stay safe everyone.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 this morning, although why I'm worrying about FBG during this crisis is beyond me. Maybe it's because it is something I can, to an extent, control?

Today I'm remotely setting up Zoom for a group of people, I know we have teachers on here and I don't know if you're aware that free software exists that allows classes to be held online. I'll put a link below although it seems they have become very popular overnight. Alternatives are Google, Skype both of whom offer a limited free service. Zoom lets you conference up to 100 people for free which is enough for most people.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2020/03/9561576/zoom-online-meetings-classes-coronavirus

Stay safe :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No FBG this morning switched the news on instantly I got up .almost wished I hadn't ...the education secretary was being interviewed schools closed today head teachers asking questions about procedures who are key workers what's the plan that is all to come after further discussions ***...I agree with @dunelm & @jjraak no leadership...I am doing my best to protect myself & checking on family...I have my hand sanitiser anti-bacterial wipes & disposable gloves apparently I have more to protect me than some of our first responders (Scotland)...new legislation coming today for protection & non-compliance arrest detention & containment so what do those do who cannot comply i.e. the homeless mentally ill without funds...no distinction between those who cannot comply & those who deliberately won't...enough now stay safe everyone.

IF, as i have heard the NHS of other countries are requisitioning hotels potentially to use as hospital bays
(makes good sense, keep the Covid separate as much as possible from the hospitals general population, who perhaps don't need the raft of ICU equipment, BUT do still need a hospital stay )

surely in this most critical time, we can do similar, even if it was just office spaces, for the homeless.
So those who are homeless, off the street and fed..win/win..for all of us.

we MUST act and act now, in a deadly epidemic, we have NO choice but to take drastic measures TODAY,
indemnify those offering space, requisition if not, ..NOW is surely THE time to think outside that box

and if the Italian scenario plays out, where the north when warned, fled south bringing the virus with them,
just letting it Rage in London is a REALLY bad idea for all of us, where ever we live.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 this morning, although why I'm worrying about FBG during this crisis is beyond me. Maybe it's because it is something I can, to an extent, control?

Today I'm remotely setting up Zoom for a group of people, I know we have teachers on here and I don't know if you're aware that free software exists that allows classes to be held online. I'll put a link below although it seems they have become very popular overnight. Alternatives are Google, Skype both of whom offer a limited free service. Zoom lets you conference up to 100 people for free which is enough for most people.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2020/03/9561576/zoom-online-meetings-classes-coronavirus

Stay safe :)

interesting..not aware of it.
How and why would one use it..please..:)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.3 today. I am seriously starting to think about rationing the quantity of food we eat. I have enough for maybe 2 or three weeks except fresh stuff like bread, milk, salad, yogurt and veg. I have slightly reduced my own intake but of course more could be done. I had been working on the assumption that as I used up some of my freezer food, the supermarkets would get their act together, I would then expand my freezer range to include some bread, frozen veg etc. BUT despite talking the talk these stores are simply not walking the walk. Just some of my thoughts.
@jjraak sorry you are in the hot spot, please you and Lauren be very very careful.
Hope Steph continues to improve. Interesting what you say about the niece/nephew reaction, not surprised you shared your stash, thats who you are.
@Muddy Cyclist and @gennepher I have been remiss about tanking you for your art recently but I want you to know it always gladdens my heart. Thanks too to @SaskiaKC for the daffodils. @karen8967 hug for hypo and bounce, take care lovely.
Have a good Thursday. Stay well, stay safe I DEMAND IT,,,

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
interesting..not aware of it.
How and why would one use it..please..:)

Zoom is a video conferencing software that can be installed on all platforms, so you could 'attend' using your phone. With the advent of the virus Zoom's use has widened to include class/teaching scenarios where one person, the tutor, offers a sign-in to their lesson and students use their app to log in. The free option allows a max of 40mins online time for up to 100 people. You can fully interact with the host as if you were in the room.

In a family situation, you could link households together using the apps and have an arranged time when everyone logs in. I haven't been asked about doing it like that and I've never used it for a family/friends scenario as I'm Billy-no-mates ;)

On a seperate note, just received an email telling me that the senior bus time restriction has been lifted so free travel before 0930 is permitted :)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am seriously starting to think about rationing the quantity of food we eat. I have enough for maybe 2 or three weeks except fresh stuff like bread, milk, salad, yogurt and veg. I have slightly reduced my own intake but of course more could be done. I had been working on the assumption that as I used up some of my freezer food, the supermarkets would get their act together, I would then expand my freezer range to include some bread, frozen veg etc. BUT despite talking the talk these stores are simply not walking the walk.

I have had the same thought, guess I expected the shops to reach a level of normal that kept supplies going but it doesn't seem to be that way at the moment. I need to rethink my strategy.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All. 5.3 today. I am seriously starting to think about rationing the quantity of food we eat. I have enough for maybe 2 or three weeks except fresh stuff like bread, milk, salad, yogurt and veg. I have slightly reduced my own intake but of course more could be done. I had been working on the assumption that as I used up some of my freezer food, the supermarkets would get their act together, I would then expand my freezer range to include some bread, frozen veg etc. BUT despite talking the talk these stores are simply not walking the walk. Just some of my thoughts.
@jjraak sorry you are in the hot spot, please you and Lauren be very very careful.
Hope Steph continues to improve. Interesting what you say about the niece/nephew reaction, not surprised you shared your stash, thats who you are.
@Muddy Cyclist and @gennepher I have been remiss about tanking you for your art recently but I want you to know it always gladdens my heart. Thanks too to @SaskiaKC for the daffodils. @karen8967 hug for hypo and bounce, take care lovely.
Have a good Thursday. Stay well, stay safe I DEMAND IT,,,

To be fair, i was stocking up, an extra item or two each shop since late Jan,
Lauren thought i was mad, so it was kept out of her sight, in a big old tool chest,
(those days of her sniggering to her friends, long gone now they are all S******* themselves about all this
all that Keep calm, it's just Flu, BS, they kept saying, straight out the window )
and i did buy in, with the intention of sharing as the attitude of the kids, was mmmhh.

i had little faith they'd step up for themselves, so not really surprised, but OMG how many have gone that route,
how will that play out..?

I liked the idea of a basic food package..now clearly isn't the time for people to be ordering excess,
and as the supermarkets are now streamlining the lines, a few of the more exotic foods, will and probably should go by the board for now.
Milk bread meat veg. rice and pasta, ..anything else is up for discussion, but if the food doesn't flow, then civil unrest is a possibility
which doesn't bear thinking about.

Difficult times need difficult discussions.
the time for action is Now.

Stay safe, @PenguinMum

if this goes T*** up, (lauren already talking of fleeing the capital ..:rolleyes: )...we might have to try running the blockade and heading your way for that ZA meet up, much earlier then expected.:***:

28DAYSLATER.jpg

https://shots.filmschoolrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/28DAYSLATER.jpg

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
we have NO choice but to take drastic measures TODAY,
There is no plan it's being considered all to come in the following days/weeks...we need leadership & direction we are not getting that so we have to work out ways to look after ourselves the best way we can...I may have to go to London for work will be driving and all my bits & pieces will be in my bag...we have to begin testing our frontline services now they are essential but we are waiting for supplies of tests to arrive it's a shabby poor response from our leaders.