1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Alien Aspie, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Muddy Cyclist

Muddy Cyclist Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If it helps all Tesco sTores other than Tesco Express are opening 9 till 10 am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday's for OAP shopping and limiting all items to 3 and removing multi buy. A bit late in my opinion but they say that empty shelves can be replenished. Mrs MC and I will put it to the test next Wednesday.

More scary is we had a power cut, we never have power cuts and it only lasted 30 minutes, is this a result of demand, lack of maintenance personnel or just coincidence? Must order more Kiln Dried wood.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I got my replacement small cooker this morning, and a spare kettle. My current one keeps turning off as it is heating up. That wee lottery win yesterday was useful... very.

On the food front, just about nil in the shops as regards goods on shelves. Frozen food appears stocked. But not the shelves.i went looking for three packets of butter. There was only one packet in the chiller.(I just went out like a light, fell asleep writing this, a good job this saves draft messages!). No more butter left anywhere. No useful tinned food for me. Sweets and chocolates were in abundance, so I decided if these were going to be my last days, I was going to enjoy the bags of chocolate mis shapes!!! And got two dark bounty's. Got cough sweets (no I don't have a cough but people were hacking around me). Had my skull bandana up over my nose and a black snood over that. The snood didn't drop down so I didn't frighten anyone...sigh.

I got spare leads for my tablet devices.

What else? Not much else. Only junk food was left on the shelves like noodles. No use to me. Oh I know I got some microfibre cloths to dry my hands on, my cotton towels stay too wet with the amount of hand washing I do.

And filled the fuel tank.

I just had a WhatsApp message from another friend saying there was nothing to buy in the shops...I had been warning her for weeks as well. And she insisted the shops would always remain fully stocked...

I need a cuppa and a nap now, then try and help my non internet friend again...

Oh boy, more panicked WhatsApp messages at the top of my screen...

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. alf_Josiah

alf_Josiah Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, but not the selfish panic buyers.

A gentle 5.5 for me and me's this Morening.

Being late on parade today has given me a chance to glance at all the posts, but not fully digest, some are far to high in carbs!
    Well " having read the news today O boy about etc " well you all know lyrics and it appears not confined to Lancashire.

Mrs J has written a shopping list cyanide and strychnine are at the top of the list. Hmmmm lock down must be taking effect.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Hug Hug x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gennepher

Thanks @Muddy Cyclist I will pass that on to my friend. I know she has a Tesco near her.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Hello, everyone. 7.2 this morning, and the view from my window is this:

20200319_090334.jpg
    Although whether it's a view of just the morning, or of the future ...

Anyway, it reminded me of Carl Sandburg's poem "The Fog."

The fog comes
    on little cat feet.

It sits looking
    over harbor and city
    on silent haunches
    and then moves on.

That's the way he wrote it.
    I wonder if he ever actually had a cat.
    This is my version:

The fog comes
    on little cat feet.

It bounds up
    onto the bed
    on top of you
    meows in your ear
    until you get up
    and feed it.

It is nice, though, to be reminded that, like the fog, the future moves on, leaving cities and harbors clear.

• Like Like x 9
    • Hug Hug x 2
  6. gennepher

You just had a power cut?
    Not good.
    Get your wood @Muddy Cyclist

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. geefull

geefull Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

good afternoon all :)

4.7 today

out this morning to get a bit of shopping (we needed milk), some local cafe's are closed but some supplies have reappeared albeit in small quantities so that's a bit better :)

hope your day is treating you well :)

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  8. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

What a wonderful service you are providing those people! Thank you for doing that for them. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Thank you for those comforting words. Blessings. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Everyone must make sure to label theirs with their name, address, phone number, and blood type ... and I don't mean label the box ...

• Funny Funny x 7
  11. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Beautiful indeed. Thank you for posting that. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gennepher

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Alien Aspie

Alien Aspie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Friendly Friendly x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

• Friendly Friendly x 6
  15. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

I copied it because it bears repeating. Thank you for posting it.

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    #21735 SaskiaKC, Mar 19, 2020 at 2:48 PM
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  16. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Our street has got together with a couple of other streets and sent ours in bulk. Did it need a big stamp?

• Funny Funny x 10
  17. gennepher

Thanks for telling me @OldButBold

• Friendly Friendly x 6
  18. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

People are posting about wanting our "leaders" to do something.
    I think these leaders are wishing they themselves had someone to tell them what to do.
    "Blind leading the blind" sound familiar?

I just checked one of my local websites that purported to recommend ways to help the most vulnerable. The homeless, the elderly, animals in shelters.
    For each group, there were a couple of paragraphs reiterating what everyone already knows: these groups are vulnerable and need our help.
    These paragraphs were followed by statements that, since these groups are vulnerable, we should stay away from them to avoid infecting them. What we should do is send them hand sanitizer.
    There was no recommendation as to where we could expect to actually buy this hand sanitizer, or how to get it to these vulnerable groups, since we're not supposed to go near them for fear of infecting them.
    Never mind infecting ourselves.

The one helpful suggestion was to adopt or foster a shelter animal. "You're stuck at home anyway, why not have a furry playmate?"
    I wonder if all the vulnerable shut-ins, the elderly and homeless staying in shelters, are expected to adopt/foster an animal, and, if so, what agency plans to get the animal to them, help them walk it or clean its litter box, and make sure they get food for it, seeing as how, being shut in, they can't get to the stores themselves.

I really think it is a case of the blind leading the blind, and it's interesting that -- unlike during other plagues hundreds of years ago -- none of our "leaders" are calling on us to pray for deliverance.

But then, they're not calling on us to sacrifice virgins either. And thank goodness they're not rounding up all the vulnerable elderly who keep cats!

• Hug Hug x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
  19. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

I don't understand how opening National Trust properties free is good news, especially as farther along in the same article is the reminder to avoid public spaces.
    I would worry that these properties would be taken over by the homeless population who will overrun them with tent cities, and by drug dealers (who aren't known for socially distancing themselves from their customers), and after a few days Boris will be able to send in his ministers with poop scoops and collection bags for samples for his Cabinet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. gennepher

• Friendly Friendly x 6
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook