What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 this morning. I’m not getting notifications so it’s taken me ages to get through everyone’s posts
@Muddy Cyclist please don’t stop putting your art here it is a high point of reading the posts and one I look forward to very much.
I am getting a bit uncomfortable about some of the posts, I know everyone is scared but I would very much like this place to be a sanctuary. We all have different views on politics, religion and trustworthiness of the written word, I seem to have opposing views to many but really don’t want to argue about any of it. It shouldn’t stop us wanting to meet here for a little distraction.
On a more mundane note @Ryhia @gennepher @SlimLizzy I have also grown tomatoes from the seeds of fresh toms - just squish the seeds onto a bit of kitchen paper and dry on the windowsill they last for ages. I also saw something online yesterday about regrowing lettuce in water - just put the base of a cut lettuce in a shallow dish of water and leave it - the middle starts to sprout new leaves!
Happy to be mundane - my way of coping otherwise would be worrying about OH all the time. Good reminder about the lettuce, forgot you could do that - just thrown a lettuce stump away, may need to see if I can salvage it and try that. My granda used to have an allotment and it was usual for him to cut back cabbages but leave the stump so he could get a second crop. Hard times call for innovative measures. If the government doesn't get a hold on this virus, things may get tougher. I find I am already uncomfortable buying fresh veg as you do not know who has handled it before you. Hence my interest in growing my own.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And now for something completely different.
For those with Young Grandchildren who enjoy a sing, dog and toad I post one of my nephews teaching videos, my granddaughters love it and there are more to come. Stick with it as beginning is introducing Toad, Mr S plays in a group called The Toads. Enjoy and even if you don't have youngsters you may find it entertaining and informative.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can we all be a bit careful of what we say, that includes me. This thread matters a lot to me and I dont want any of you feeling uncomfortable and leaving. I complain about things as much as anyone but am trying to find ways to stay sane and divert my attention because like everyone I am scared. Am trying to ring a couple of friends everyday. Have just put the phone down from a friend who just finished course of radiotherapy two weeks ago and she and her OH have it 5 days in, managing at home so far. I am grateful for that. Not everyone will get it bad we need to remember, I need to remember.
@SaskiaKC you are a very valued member of our thread and you are entitled to your opinion like everyone else. You were trying to lighten the mood and others were trying to highlight the risks. Misunderstandings. We are all equal.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was wondering if I should try to make some masks then read of all the counterfeit ones being made in Turkey and realized that t

Planted some tomato seeds this morning, old stock so not sure if they will germinate. May look in the fridge to see what other veg I've got that I can try growing. Know I have some courgettes, aubergines, peppers and chillies which if they germinate should be ok to grow in the sunroom. Will be an interesting experiment. Hubby might be unhappy that I am nicking his compost but needs must. And he is welcome to grow some potatoes in the garden if he likes. He actually prefers to grow flowers so thinking about that, I know there are a few nasturtium seeds we didn't use last year and the pansies are already growing in the garden so some salad possibilities. May need to go savaging for nettles Gennepher, they should be really fresh and young at the moment so good for eating. :happy:

There is an amazing abundance of nettles at the moment.
Then I suddenly realised Spring has sprung. I have Jack by the Hedge, White Dead Nettle, Fat Hen, Dandelions in plenty. I can make those leaves tenderer by putting a pot over them as they emerge. And so much more stuff.

I can do a lot of eking out with the stuff I have with this. Still be able to have fresh stuff without going to the shops.

Might be safest to make your own masks @Ryhia
You have no idea of the quality of what you might be ordering in this day and age with all the scams.
I do have a proper N95 mask, but I only have that because an American online friend was in the middle of the wild fires a couple of years ago, and she said she bought a disposable mask. But I was unsure, looked at American sites and they said N95 was the only effective one. She was actually easily able to get one at the time after I told her, and I thought I would order one for myself at that time, never dreaming that I would actually be needing it.

From when I did wood working, I had quite a few disposable dust and builder's masks left over from that. I have them in the house now (from the garage) in case I might cobble something from them.

There are you tube videos on how to make masks. While not as effective as a N95 mask, it is probable they could offer more protection than not actually wearing one.

One more thing. I do have swimming goggles, and builder's clear protective safety goggles. But that is a step too far for the general population in this area. I have very dry eyes, and need to wear them to try and keep moisture in my eyes, in hot weather. And any attempts to wear them in public in previous years (way before coronavirus) was met with ridicule (I can deal with that), or some very upset people, and that included my friends, one of whom pulled them off my head because it upset her , me wearing to these clear safety goggles over my eyes, and at the same time dislodged my cochlear speech processor, which she ended up trampling on and breaking (I refused to see her again).

So, I only wore them at home. But then I realised I had wraparound sunglasses which went over my normal glasses, and one dark pair was a particular snug fit.

I wore these when I went out shopping yesterday, and no one batted an eye with me wearing them not did they comment. So, I was able to protect my eyes pretty well without attracting undue attention.

It's just a thought that many of you might have wraparound sunglasses which may be better than not wearing anything at all on your eyes.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Whoopwhoop, look what I did! Woke up to a straight lined 5.5 (blood said 5.5, my Libres always read a bit low), must have been between 5 and 5.5 all night!
Now if only I knew how to pull that trick every day! Sadly I didn't do anything different than usual so I expect it won't happen again.

(picture for shamelessly bragging purposes :joyful:)
90709556_10220248578718980_6054947290768998400_o.jpg

Reactions: karen8967

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 this morning. I’m not getting notifications so it’s taken me ages to get through everyone’s posts
@Muddy Cyclist please don’t stop putting your art here it is a high point of reading the posts and one I look forward to very much.
I am getting a bit uncomfortable about some of the posts, I know everyone is scared but I would very much like this place to be a sanctuary. We all have different views on politics, religion and trustworthiness of the written word, I seem to have opposing views to many but really don’t want to argue about any of it. It shouldn’t stop us wanting to meet here for a little distraction.
On a more mundane note @Ryhia @gennepher @SlimLizzy I have also grown tomatoes from the seeds of fresh toms - just squish the seeds onto a bit of kitchen paper and dry on the windowsill they last for ages. I also saw something online yesterday about regrowing lettuce in water - just put the base of a cut lettuce in a shallow dish of water and leave it - the middle starts to sprout new leaves!
Thanks for the tip about lettuce in water. I have various packets of seeds some out of date but will give them a go anyway. The only thing I didnt have a chance to stock up on was garden compost. Our soil here is very poor, only really good for carrots which are not low carb! But maybe if I water with a little bit of liquid fertiliser it might work

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We have no idea how many have the virus as it ranges in it's severity from mild to severe to deadly...those names were fortunate enough to be tested Rhyia so have a diagnosis and hopefully have caught it early...our health care professionals and the public with mild symptoms will not be tested...unacceptable really.
Agree with what you say, we do need much more testing and certainly for all NHS and key worker personnel. Hope they get this facility soon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And now for something completely different.
For those with Young Grandchildren who enjoy a sing, dog and toad I post one of my nephews teaching videos, my granddaughters love it and there are more to come. Stick with it as beginning is introducing Toad, Mr S plays in a group called The Toads. Enjoy and even if you don't have youngsters you may find it entertaining and informative.

Thank you. Made me smile as well as being informative. Perfect distraction.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tip about lettuce in water. I have various packets of seeds some out of date but will give them a go anyway. The only thing I didnt have a chance to stock up on was garden compost. Our soil here is very poor, only really good for carrots which are not low carb! But maybe if I water with a little bit of liquid fertiliser it might work
Does toilet rolls eventually turn to compost, I know the other stuff does. :D

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Son just rang to say he has been finished from work. He is a tool maker and works as a contractor in a local factory. The factory has had to close because the unions have kicked up saying the workers cannot be segregated properly, the shut down is likely to be on a temporary basis but all the contractors have been laid off and are unlikely to be reinstated. He is trying to find out what happens next but hasn't been able to get through to anyone.

sadly half the uk trying to get in touch with some one in a position to help.

sorry he got laid off, @Ryhia
times are real hard here, now.
lets hope it all ends as soon as possible and we all go back to our old boring lives..please god,

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is an amazing abundance of nettles at the moment.
Then I suddenly realised Spring has sprung. I have Jack by the Hedge, White Dead Nettle, Fat Hen, Dandelions in plenty. I can make those leaves tenderer by putting a pot over them as they emerge. And so much more stuff.

I can do a lot of eking out with the stuff I have with this. Still be able to have fresh stuff without going to the shops.

Might be safest to make your own masks @Ryhia
You have no idea of the quality of what you might be ordering in this day and age with all the scams.
I do have a proper N95 mask, but I only have that because an American online friend was in the middle of the wild fires a couple of years ago, and she said she bought a disposable mask. But I was unsure, looked at American sites and they said N95 was the only effective one. She was actually easily able to get one at the time after I told her, and I thought I would order one for myself at that time, never dreaming that I would actually be needing it.

From when I did wood working, I had quite a few disposable dust and builder's masks left over from that. I have them in the house now (from the garage) in case I might cobble something from them.

There are you tube videos on how to make masks. While not as effective as a N95 mask, it is probable they could offer more protection than not actually wearing one.

One more thing. I do have swimming goggles, and builder's clear protective safety goggles. But that is a step too far for the general population in this area. I have very dry eyes, and need to wear them to try and keep moisture in my eyes, in hot weather. And any attempts to wear them in public in previous years (way before coronavirus) was met with ridicule (I can deal with that), or some very upset people, and that included my friends, one of whom pulled them off my head because it upset her , me wearing to these clear safety goggles over my eyes, and at the same time dislodged my cochlear speech processor, which she ended up trampling on and breaking (I refused to see her again).

So, I only wore them at home. But then I realised I had wraparound sunglasses which went over my normal glasses, and one dark pair was a particular snug fit.

I wore these when I went out shopping yesterday, and no one batted an eye with me wearing them not did they comment. So, I was able to protect my eyes pretty well without attracting undue attention.

It's just a thought that many of you might have wraparound sunglasses which may be better than not wearing anything at all on your eyes.

Only got speedwell and shepherd's purse in mine that I can see - they wont fill me up.

Yea I was unsure about the masks and they are still in quarantine - not sure if I said I had steeped one in alcohol so that I could test. Seems to be just a lycra fabric type stuff. I have lots of vilene and some lycra so may try to make something with those. I saw one of the 3com N95 masks on ebay but I think that was definitely a fake, nothing like the ones they were showing on TV as an example of the new equipment being received by NHS staff. Got a couple of dust masks in the garage so can always try these if necessary. From what I have read though, they do not recommend the use of masks as people tend to touch their face more when they are wearing them. I did see this happen in a supermarket when a lady's face mask slipped and she had to adjust it, so there may be something in this. Already wear spectacles so that makes me feel safer, hubby has put his sunglasses in the car for a just in case occasion.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only got speedwell and shepherd's purse in mine that I can see - they wont fill me up.

Yea I was unsure about the masks and they are still in quarantine - not sure if I said I had steeped one in alcohol so that I could test. Seems to be just a lycra fabric type stuff. I have lots of velene and some lycra so may try to make something with those. I saw one of the 3com N95 masks on ebay but I think that was definitely a fake, nothing like the ones they were showing on TV as an example of the new equipment being received by NHS staff. Got a couple of dust masks in the garage so can always try these if necessary. From what I have read though, they do not recommend the use of masks as people tend to touch their face more when they are wearing them. I did see this happen in a supermarket when a lady's face mask slipped and she had to adjust it, so there may be something in this. Already wear spectacles so that makes me feel safer, hubby has put his sunglasses in the car for a just in case occasion.
I also wear a bandana over my mask. It holds it in place. It does not slip. People also cannot see I am wearing it. A bit hard to breathe, but I am not staying in the shop more than 5 minutes and I can breathe again when i am back in the car.

I think you can use shepherds purse as a tea or for flavouring stews. I'll have to look up if speedwell can be used for anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryhia

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am also a firm believer in knowing the truth the good & the bad as Abraham Lincoln said '"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts." it speaks volumes hopefully to all of us take care & keep safe everyone.

Reactions: karen8967

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sadly half the uk trying to get in touch with some one in a position to help.

sorry he got laid off, @Ryhia
times are real hard here, now.
lets hope it all ends as soon as possible and we all go back to our old boring lives..please god,
Plenty of people praying for that jjraak and I do feel for you all who are in the thick of it. Some might feel complacent as maybe the northern sticks has an advantage currently as the uplift on virus sufferers is slower - but if we are realistic, its a false sense of security given the true state of affairs. Keep well.

Thank you for you kind remarks. I am sure he will be ok - he is usually in demand where jobs are concerned, it is just unusual times at the moment. I also feel they are in a much more fortunate position than maybe some others who have lost their jobs - he just thinks he will have to go on Universal credit and doesn't know how to go about that. Sadly he just refused a permanent job in Scotland a few weeks ago. I am actually pleased he didn't take it as I would have worried with all this going on. Told him not to worry - he know we will help if we can.

Reactions: geefull

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also wear a bandana over my mask. It holds it in place. It does not slip. People also cannot see I am wearing it. A bit hard to breathe, but I am not staying in the shop more than 5 minutes and I can breathe again when u am back in the car.

I think you can use shepherds purse as a tea or for flavouring stews. I'll have to look up if speedwell can be used for anything.
Speedwell is tea again, shepherds purse leaves can be used in salads.

Reactions: HarryBeau