What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hubby sleeps like a baby - don't know how he does it. I am struggling to sleep. It was not so bad last night I was only awake a couple of times but yesterday gave up trying to sleep at around 3:30 am and just got up. Thought it was just me being me.

Sorry to hear about Popeye hope he is better soon.

Thank you @Ryhia

I am pretty sure we must all belong to the collective consciousness where we all wake up around 3 am...could we all channel that into something?

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh and the hot chocolate! I’d never had ( nor sadly will ever have again) hot chocolate like we had in Vienna. My trip was a surprise from Mr C too now I come to think about it. Happy days eh?
Yes - lovely hot chocolate and cappuccino sprinkled with chocolate (another of my favourites from pre-diagnosis). I was actually quite sad when I realised I would have to give them up.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Ryhia

I am pretty sure we must all belong to the collective consciousness where we all wake up around 3 am...could we all channel that into something?
Sounds good to me.
Doing something positive would certainly be more useful than watching tv at that time of night.

Reactions: jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh good grief! That must have been so scary for you and Popeye. At the risk of repeating (as others probably saw your first post, so I apologise) how on earth did you get the feral cat out?

I sort of didn’t @DJC3

A second feral cat (ginger) immediately after charged into the kitchen, leapt into the fight between poor Popeye (who had been minding his own business in my kitchen as I was preparing the cardboard recycle) and the black and white feral cat. I am hitting them with the cardboard recycle bag (I had bare legs as I was ready for bed so I am trying to keep myself from getting injured too)

The ginger and black and white feral cats are now locked in battle, roll outside the kitchen door. I go out with blue recycle bag still hitting them, shut Popeye in kitchen. And the two feral cats are in a screaming terrible battle and literally go rolling down the hill. I was hoping they would kill each other or a car would run them over. But alas no, they are still about walking through my garden.

I have reported it by email to rspca and the council. But rspca says it is closed now. So no one is interested.

The local vet has closed its doors. And so has the Veterinary Hospital I took Popeye to last time when the first attack happened. I have just checked their site this morning. And they are totally shut during this coronavirus pandemic.

Popeye is 27 years old. Nearly 28. He will be in end of May. I am not having him end his life as a result of injuries because of now feral cats that others appear to have chucked out their homes in this coronavirus pandemic.

We never had feral cats before the coronavirus pandemic, but I do live on the edge of a large ancient woodland, so I presume it would be easy to drive up and throw your pet in there. These cats are hungry and have turned wild very quickly. But there is not the support structure in place any more to get someone to come out and deal with it.

This means Popeye can never go outside again. He gave a good account of himself each time. And he wasn’t even outside the second time. The black and white feral cat was outside waiting for me to unlock the kitchen door, it seems. So now when I go outside I have to check Popeye is in my bedroom. I shut the bedroom door. Then I go outside. It is very restrictive for me. But I have to do it for his safety.

EDIT: Popeye IS going to make his 28th birthday, and I AM going to make sure he is healthy and has his glossy black coat back.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
09-04-2020
Another poor nights sleep. Worry is a more constant bedfellow than MrSlim.
6.45am FBG 5.9
Not eating yet and hoping it reduces a bit.
Mentiioned elsewhere MrSlims plans to go shopping today. As long as he brings a copious supply of decent wine, not the awful spanish chardonnay, I picked up in a panic last week, wont be complaining about his choices.
Am tired still and feelings a bit depressed. All this planning for the worst while hoping for the best is getting to me.

Edited to add
7.45am BG down to 5.7
8.30am FBG still 5.7
Breakfast time.

Morning @SlimLizzy

At risk of offending
I would a while back have considered @dunelm
Advise as a little trite...

But how wrong I would have been .

The simple fact you feel down is just so normal considering where we are.
But @dunelm advice is good and powerful.

Simply acknowledging what it is and accepting it as a normal part of life, help me cope much better.

Just like with the Diabetes. It ok to not be ok.
I still function, feel & act like 'normal' in every other way, just sometimes the effects of my personal T2D presents itself..which I simply deal with in ways I have learnt from some good folks on here .

When I found myself struggling with some more personal issues of the mind
While all my councillors help and assistance
Was greatly appreciated.
Those few words probably gave me the greatest comfort.

It's ok to be ok.
It's ok to not be ok.

It made the anxiety a little less debilitating at
times, but also helped the missus cope with my mindset at those times.

So yeah, it's ok not to be ok

Hope you feel better later on

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i had a whatsapp (good friend, could not verify..but she is trying)
BUT it does match the earlier posts re bbc

possibly outdoor exercise might be curtailed this week
and we MAY be going down the french route or needing documentations
to leave home.

can i say it's true ?
No

is it likely possibly
the hit is coming earleir then they expected.
( see previous posts )

i say, IF you need to visit , do things outside your home, do them early.
BUY what ya need early, stock up NOW.

fake news , panic..maybe.
so take with a pinch of salt.

not been impressed as many might spot by the 'experts' so far.

so for me this gets as much credence as the propaganda show that has got us here

with no PPE in every locations and nurses wearing bin bags for protections and the BOJO who was shaking hand,
while telling us to self isolate and the Scottish CMO doing similar while popping across towns to visit her 2nd home while happily infecting all and sundry..
so not convinced they have a CLUE what they are doing.

BE the sheep or think for ourselves.
WE are on OUR own,

Those who THINK stand a good chance
Those who think they have our best interests
At heart... Good luck

but what if it's real.?
better to be prepared, i say.
look stupid or risk yours and OUR lives.

doesn't seem a fair risk imho

Hug away...But do at least THINK.. what if..?
Complete lockdown is the only way imo to tame this beast. Too many people still out and about thinking 'it won't effect me' but I'm reading more and more horror stories. Coming more frequently. The care home situations are so upsetting.

I'm stocked up as much as possible. Telling friends and family to do the same. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Heartbreaking to watch.

Playing out across the world, sadly.
And your words are so true, Deb's

While we all look and worry at the numbers
Behind each is a face, and a family in deep mourning.

May they all find some rest and peace

Reactions: gennepher

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this morning and all's well :)

I shall be away for a while, need to self isolate my mind as there's far too much going on for my autistic brain, going into logic isolation with my aspie colleagues. Stay safe ;)

Just to add re. Zoom security:

While there is always a potential for third parties to monitor information it should be viewed in perspective. The issues with Zoom are related to corporate conferencing where sensitive information that could benefit rivals or give an edge to unscrupulous people and not to where Billy is chatting to grandma. Whilst we like to think we are important to the world of cyber terrorism we are generally not. Common sense applies, don't share with a third party what you don't want the public to see, but for simply staying in touch with friends and loved ones there is no problem. The concept that end to end encryption will protect you is usually false unless it is multilayered using VPNs etc and even then, a dedicated hacking team will open that tunnel pretty quickly.

This forum is a wide-open data stream that you use daily to chat about life, no encryption, no protection at all and all posts searchable by non-members ;)
Completely understand. Hope you feel OK to pop back soon. You will be missed..thank you for your perspective on Zoom. I hope if anyone is listening in that shouldn't be they give some of the answers!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks PM, headache gone, thank goodness.

@OldButBold you will be missed but needs must take care.

Dilemma about non essential / essential journey today. Have been alerted to security issue with MILs bungalow so Mrs MC is fretting, 60 mile round trip, should we or shouldn't we? We will see no one, meet no one, but even so there is that nagging feeling of guilt if we do decide to go.
I would class that as essential. Dilemma though. I get that.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Complete lockdown is the only way imo to tame this beast. Too many people still out and about thinking 'it won't effect me' but I'm reading more and more horror stories. Coming more frequently. The care home situations are so upsetting.

I'm stocked up as much as possible. Telling friends and family to do the same. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Have some personal experience of care homes.
But we were talking last night.

Homes and hospitals have perhaps similar patients, older sicker need caring for, and wondered why care homes are hit so hard ?,

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is Popeye asleep in the sun, on the wooden shoe rack in the kitchen side window. It did have plants on it years ago but oneday I found all mybplants on the kitchen floor, and he had claimed that space for himself.

I did want to plant potatoes this morning in containers, but I cannot now because kitchen door is right besides Popeye.

I will have to wait until he moves window. Around midday, as the sun moves round, he moves to front window, where he sleeps on my comfy couch in full sun....then I can plant potatoes in relative safety.

D2EB618E-7552-475D-B0DF-F3DFC33A9893.jpeg

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll have a look when the travel restrictions are lifted and we can eventually get back to clear the house. We have signed contracts ready for exchange I’m just hoping against hope it goes through.
Keeping everything crossed for you

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My painting for today in the SketchClubApp

I received a picture postcard with these dolphins on. So I copied the dolphins to the SketchClubApp, and then worked on it with various tools. Then I put it through the Lens app which gave me the rainbow. Then back into Snapseed where I put my name and the thin black frame.

I hope you like it.

View attachment 40177
I've loved every one of your paintings. Also @Muddy Cyclist and @geefull i find them inspirational. I have my starter pack ready but currently working on sprucing up our house. Once that's done I'm on it! It will be matchstick people to start. Was never good at art. But willing to give it a go.

Reactions: geefull and jjraak

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day.

I've polished the car, cleaned the loo and every door handle.
Got my Sainsburys click and collect, all good, a bit dis-organised with their car park, but at least they made the effort..

Spirits very low. We are banned from the marina pontoons, my carpentry stopped. Getting a webcam so I can communicate with other family members. Not sure if I will have anything to say. Felt a bit better after watching HM The Queen.
We find communicating with family and friends virtually really lifts our spirits. Hope it does yours too. Challenging times.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...been busy doing the small things left that can mount up...;time to actually put the washing in the machine and switch it on...clear those cupboards...do the last of the invoices there wont be anymore of those for a while...didn't do FBG or temperature this morning just got out of the habit first priority is switch on the news...poor neighbour has queued for ages to get into our local supermarket said she is stressed so bought lots of wine I have advised her not to drink any before she gets home...cracking on with the house stuff...then more rubbish TV

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine -That’s one of my favourite all time books! I thought it was brilliant and quite original, very funny in places too. Didn’t see the twist at the end until I was practically there. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone. Also it’s one of the few books that the whole family has agreed on - we all usually have different tastes.
Just now ordered from ebay. Don't really read but may have some free time coming up soon ;-)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 on waking. Late night strawberries, thick cream and oppo ice cream.

Down to 5.3 now whilst catching up on forum in bed. Only had a cup of tea. Eric downstairs making sausage, bacon, eggs mushrooms and i may add a tomato .

More painting outdoors today and endlessly watching news and listening to LBC. I don't want to but just can't help myself! Looking forward to hearing some good news although there have been many inspirational stories like our @DJC3. Well done that lovely lady. People helping others in the community. Great to hear the positives.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've loved every one of your paintings. Also @Muddy Cyclist and @geefull i find them inspirational. I have my starter pack ready but currently working on sprucing up our house. Once that's done I'm on it! It will be matchstick people to start. Was never good at art. But willing to give it a go.
Thank you Debs
:)
You will be brilliant!

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't really read but may have some free time coming up soon ;-)
Me neither usually no time with art and music but with more time than usual I also started, much to the delight of Mrs MC who devours about 4 books a week. :joyful:

So just read and enjoyed immensely Mr Golightly's Holiday by Salley Vickers.

Reactions: ianpspurs