What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think pork chops need to be thick (3/4 to 1 inch) - and on the bone.
My four step method:
1. Brine for about an hour or so. It won’t taste salty. Then remove, pat dry, rub with a bit of oil and season. Meanwhile stick your oven on to about 200C and put a pan (skillet) in to heat up.
2. Remove hot pan using oven gloves and onto a med-hot ring. I then use lockable tongues to sear the fat first then about 3 minutes each side, no more. Turn the heat down and switch a vent on if it gets smokey.
3. Put pan back into hot oven for 6 -10 minutes - testing after 6 - centre of meat should reach 60C.
4. Remove once happy - baste with juices and cover for 5 minutes before serving.
Bit of a faff but I don’t mind.
Have copied your recipe and will pass it on to my Chef (Mr K). The recipe looks good.

Reactions: jjraak and Ryhia

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you noticed that, now it is quieter with less traffic, you can hear the birds much more.

I have got a CD of birdsong which I often listen to. The idea was that I would be able to identify birds by their song. No.matter how much I listen to it I am still unable to do that.

Some friends of mine had a clock that played a different bird song every hour.
The only bird calls I "know" are cardinals', and crows', and sometimes I have heard a crow's caw that turned out to be a blue jay "scolding" instead. (That's what it's called, I just think blue jays caw whether they're actually scolding someone or not. :) )
Well, and I know ducks' voices. :D

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning/afternoon, everyone.
7.3 this morning, for no particular reason, I assume 7.3 was the number my meter happened to draw this morning. Sort of like a BINGO caller, I guess.

@PenguinMum I watched "Last Tango in Halifax" episode 2 last night.The series was on a few years ago but I never could get into it that time. Last night I enjoyed it a lot more. I love Derek Jacobi so I hope I will enjoy the whole series. I have put reminders on my phone ... it comes just long enough after "Midsomer Murders" that I might be tempted to turn the TV off otherwise.

@alf_Josiah What system are you using to catalogue your shoelaces? I am thinking of doing mine by color, with cross-references to length.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
morning all, had a nice relaxing Bank Holiday weekend. Actually I only has 3 battles with The Meter of Doom, resulting in 2 readings over 14, and one over 10 the rest (I have been testing multiple times a day around 8ish) have been OKish. Funny thing happened yesterday as I took the pooches (or the twits as I call them) I started to feel very lethargic and slow, strange I thought but hay ho off we go! anyway got home and thought Check my sugars and, 2.7! no signs, no symptoms I'd normally be eating the house, having sweats, tunnel vision and being all confused. to say I was surprised is an understatement, but these are strange times. I am attempting to build a pallet couch and dog day bed! it may take some time but I'll get there. I will give hugs to all that need them and high fives to everyone else.

Take care and stay safe.

You take care and stay safe too.
t4611.gif

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please do not laugh at my efforts to do a tower of onions to grow, using a plastic Ikea container for plastic bags from over two decades ago...

two and a half hours I have been working on this.
Why a tower? Well it was to go in my front room on the window ledge...because it took less space than a tray...but no chance. Look at the messiness of it...I ended up mixing the soil with water to make mud to keep it in the tower. And the tower was so it took less space...it is so heavy I cannot lift it...

So it is now outside...the kitchen door. With cable ties to hold it so it doesn't fall over. There is a white onion in most of the circular holes. There wasn't enough space in the other holes for an onion to go in the back of it. So those little things you see growing are garlic.

Now, I had garlic from two different places. One is already sprouting. The other looks 'dead'. It may not be, but it could be that the garlic had been irradiated (or whatever the word is) to stop the vegetables from growing before the consumer buys them. So it could be that the other garlic will not grow.

The same principle applies to the other veg you have brought and tried to grow from it, but it doesn't because it has been treated in this way.

46DBD3BA-610C-41CC-A5A4-AEBFCA60D846.jpeg

The second pic is my front window sill.
The egg shells at the bottom are for my wormery.
The lettuce on the bottom right is growing again.
The spring onions are all growing again (the shorter ones I have only just put in) The linger ones have been in 3 days now in water.
The carrot tops on the left are growing new greenery. (I only want them for greenery)
On the left you can see celery which has sprouted again from the cut base. That needs eating now before it gets woody.
So there you have it. That is as far as I have got.

oh yes, in the front room I have tomato seedlings growing from the actual tomatoes...

FF52D912-925C-465D-93D8-8324CF1245C5.jpeg

Now to do my daily painting....

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My daily painting challenge for today

It is a pottery vase which holds peacock feathers. But I didn't do the peacock feathers coming out of her head....

It is a white clay vase, but I wanted a gold leaf effect. I sort of have it created here between 3 different painting apps.

it took a couple of hours.

This painting is my escapism to another world. I sort of disappear into another dimension...

88FC8004-4CEE-4DB4-B2AE-17DF1FDEDCA8.jpeg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My next door neighbours, a couple in their early 70s have an awful situation developing.

She is displaying all the symptoms of dementia, in the last week has been wandering off, walked 3 miles to her old birth home where her brother lives a few days ago,
she is regularly wandering into our garden and on Sunday tried to follow me into the house.

So now I have to leave the back door locked where it would normally be open in fine weather.

If it wasnt for the CV lockdown this wouldnt bother me but she has no awareness of social distancing.

Her husband is distraught but of course we cannot help.

He phoned the Dr who said atm they cant have any testing done.
I advised him to get back to the Dr and explain how bad things are,
maybe mild sedative could be prescribed.

I think he might have underplayed the situation.
He said its been coming on for a year, with some confusion and forgetfullness.
We wonder if the current worrying situation has accelerated her condition. Very sad.

oh, what a sad tale @PenguinMum

Rings so true as well.

i bet he's underplayed it, doesn't want to lose here, struggling to cope but knowing care homes /hospitals are not the safety net they should be right now, for various reasons.

i bet he is distraught either way with this...poor man.

the stress certainly rings true as well, though it might just be coincidental.
dad got Dx as trminal cancer around the time Mum was , looking back going downhill.
did just think it was the shock and not knowing how to deal with it,
but either way the progression from then on was unstoppable.

not sure it's a wise move on the sedative front.
though it could be just right for her, at this moment in time.

we had mum on risperidone, i think.
known as a chemical cosh, so she was a zombie while taking it,
but the down side was if the dose wore off, early hours it did, until they got the dosage right.
she would wake after dad had looked after her all day and he was exhausted, around 2am and then create that she was trapped in , really quite angry, frightened and rather aggressive.
he was so exhausted he finally had a heartache over it, which was were it all became very untenable..

love for there to be a happy ending here,...:sorry:.

i would suggest that he INSISTS they check her for water infections.at first chance.

a well known cause of mental unrest, and if she already has some dementia issues it could well put her right over the top.
we had a spot or two of that , and mum went from a nightmare to a meek little lamb again.

worth suggesting to him for the docs, before more radical actions.

just might give them the window to get through this moment of lock down and allow a better
prognosis later on where we are in much calmer waters.

Hard for you too as a neighbour,
i get how we would normally do that.

but you are NO use to anyone if your sick (or worse)
quite right to prioritise what you CAN do,
while staying safe.

undoubtedly, i know you can and will offer the best a good neighbour can and you are sure to be needed at some point.
so bear that in mind if you feel awkward or at risk of being rude.

if you aren't there later to help... they are both a lot worse off.

stay well
stay safe

think every neighbour should have a @PenguinMum , near by.

xx

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A little COVID-related hilarity -- hope it makes y'all laugh. --

One organization in my area posted online about toilet paper giveaways. They posted a link for people wanting to donate, but no link to where you can actually pick up a roll or two.

This same organization is recommending that instead of using toilet paper people buy bidets and install them.
Yeah, uh-huh, just go out and buy a bidet and install it.
How many things do you see wrong with that? Don't include the increased use of water, another precious resource!

A different organization is updating its website "daily" listing places where you can actually still buy toilet paper, such as office-supply dealers.
Every single 12-pack of toilet paper costs at least 3 times as much as an ordinary grocer-store 12-pack.
How many people do they really think can afford to spend 3 times as much on toilet paper as they usually spend?

And the best,, saved for last --
Amazon.com is still offering toilet paper for sale.
New and used.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak thanks for your sympathetic and informative post. I will ring him tomorrow and see how things are and suggest checking for water infection with the doctor. There is also something where a water/sodium imbalance can cause deliriousness as happened with my MIL. I have to thread carefully as I am a “friendly neighbour” but not their friend or family. Their four sons will have to step up a bit to help their Dad. Thanks again JJ. Xx

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

One organization in my area posted online about toilet paper giveaways. They posted a link for people wanting to donate, but no link to where you can actually pick up a roll or two.

This same organization is recommending that instead of using toilet paper people buy bidets and install them.
How many things do you see wrong with that? Don't include the increased use of water, another precious resource!

A different organization is updating its website "daily" listing places where you can actually still buy toilet paper, such as office-supply dealers.
Every single 12-pack of toilet paper costs at least 3 times as much as an ordinary grocer-store 12-pack.
How many people do they really think can afford to spend 3 times as much on toilet paper as they usually spend?

New and used.
That is all very crazy and I cant bear people overcharging just because they can!
A friend I chatted to today said that our local Sainsbury, which has its cafe closed, had all the tables and chairs pushed back against the wall. The remainder of the space is packed floor to ceiling with toilet rolls. They were announcing over the tannoy that they had lifted restrictions on toilet rolls. Of course now most homes have their own stockpile.
Hope you and the KC are having a good day. :):cat:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree but that sets the bar pretty very low. At least go with (very) large spare ribs or belly pork before moving on to hand and spring joints. Thanks for the tips @dunelm - I will dare to dream over #porkchopgate. Enjoyment of lamb chops and leg of lamb will remain forever a mystery to me. I do like mint sauce though.
Yes, pork belly or spare ribs. Lovely.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Shoulder of lamb is good - leg?:arghh::arghh::arghh:
Pleased about that just got a pork shoulder joint delivered from Tesco - got it to replace the leg of lamb the son half-inched on Sunday. My retired butcher husband will only allow me to buy English or Welsh lamb - apologies to any New Zealanders reading but he reckons English or Welsh lamb tastes better.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree but that sets the bar pretty very low. At least go with (very) large spare ribs or belly pork before moving on to hand and spring joints. Thanks for the tips @dunelm - I will dare to dream over #porkchopgate. Enjoyment of lamb chops and leg of lamb will remain forever a mystery to me. I do like mint sauce though.
Sorry to say never bother with spare ribs other than bacon ribs for soup which I absolutely love but are very difficult to buy now. Belly pork - ages since I have had it, just not something I buy. Perhaps haven't totally recovered from the low fat is good brainwashing we were all subjected to. You brought back a memory of pigs heads which my mum used to cook. Think she used to make brawn with it.

Reactions: jjraak

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
More

Juicy sounds good because what I particularly dislike about pork chops is that they are so dry. Must try shoulder steaks.
Hope you find them so, as its all a matter of taste. I just wrap in tin foil with butter, maybe onions and/or a few herbs, season and oven cook.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm we just ate pork chops a la dunners (remarkably similar to this https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-co...e-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-194257) The chops themselves were large, thick and from carefully reared and butchered animals. The preparation and cooking were very respectful. The outcome was better than I expected but I would still never buy pork chops. As part of the 1/2 pig deal chops are the downside (perhaps another time I can negotiate a no chops package) BUT that method gives the best possible results. So thank you the chops now won't be just given to the dogs.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher thank you for the gold leaf lady which I keep looking at be ause it fascinates me. Your vegetable growing has really inspired me and makes me feel very inadequate lol. I only had lettuce, spring onion seeds that were 3 years out of date because in recent years I have bought seedlings from the garden centre. They are sitting in a shallow layer of seed compost in containers on my sunny south facing window sill for a week now, being sprayed with water when they look dry but mo sign of life yet. I have ordered fresh seeds and tomato plants which will be here by start of May. If I can ensure a supply of fresh lettuce, and orher salad over the summer all I need is mayo, oh and eggs. Thats me fed.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to say never bother with spare ribs other than bacon ribs for soup which I absolutely love but are very difficult to buy now. Belly pork - ages since I have had it, just not something I buy. Perhaps haven't totally recovered from the low fat is good brainwashing we were all subjected to. You brought back a memory of pigs heads which my mum used to cook. Think she used to make brawn with it.
No idea what a bacon rib is but it does sound like a really serious condition requiring urgent medical care. I suggest you seek help .

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

New and used.
Our corner shop has everything you could ever wish for. Stocks up to the rafters including toiler rolls. All they need now are customers. Prices are hiked though but only as you would expect from a corner shop having to buy from wholesalers.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My daily painting challenge for today

It is a pottery vase which holds peacock feathers. But I didn't do the peacock feathers coming out of her head....

It is a white clay vase, but I wanted a gold leaf effect. I sort of have it created here between 3 different painting apps.

it took a couple of hours.

This painting is my escapism to another world. I sort of disappear into another dimension...

View attachment 40380
Love this painting Gennepher.