What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
8.45am FBG 5.1
Its obvious that late night snacks of cheese, don't agree with me. Had a very disturbed night. Woke several times feeling very hot. Or maybe the more carbs than usual dinner is to blame. Trying to eat a bit more so as to halt weight loss has undesireable side effects.
Decided not to go out on bike today, legs need a rest. Might attempt some painting. Most of the prep work had been completed.
Will probably have to do indoors, fresh paint is a dust and insect magnet. Also won't be getting sunburnt. Grass needs cutting, thats a very dusty job, but otherwise garden is more or less under control. If you discount remaining flood damage. It's a cooking day as well. Planning to make LC bread rolls, can't make the melts, as no suitable cheese available in village shop. Need snack ideas. Or maybe desserts? Have seen mention of LC custard. Recipe please? Or maybe Google will have one.
@gennepher hope you enjoyed your coastal drive. Maybe garner some inspiration for a painting?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just came across this which seems to me exceptionally useful so thought I would share. I would see it as a charity not advertising
https://loststock.com/
Interesting proposition.

And I'd agree on the charity aspect.

We have been in touch with our friends in Goa.

They are still stuck there, the migrant workers can only return by official routes (trains etc)

With no tourism, even with an easing of the unlock, things won't be back to normal any time soon

We aren't stupid, we are, as is probably right in so many cases "money friends" ..part of what starts out as a business transaction.

They provide a service of some sort for which we pay ..but it has evolved over many years into a genuine friendship.

The point for me, I don't it seems handle 'gifts' very well
My missus think I have some sort of OCD where this is concerned.

So if I get something I don't want to be beholden to someone, so I wish to repay the ' favour' asap.
Which has caused offence and other issues.

So the exchange of goods/ services for money suits me.

However, the norm in India I have found is no one gives you anything, anyway
Everything done or given had
a price, and quite right, in my book.

But I have been most touched by my friends giving of something to ME, for which no payments was or would be accepted...

I was touched and honoured, by their generosity.

In all our years of visiting, despite our last good byes being to call us. If they need anything, They never have.
yet we would willingly have given it

Last month they asked for help.

We didn't need to debate it
We asked what was needed and sent it.
It was our honour to do so

I will be directing what help I can give to those who have reached out to us.

But I DO so agree the boxes are a great idea
And if possible people should try and support others struggling without the safety nets we enjoy .

Nice post

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got back after my drive.

But 5 miles does not take you very far. I had one glimpse of the river as I went round a roundabout and then back to just houses either side again. So no beautiful scenery unless you include the gas power station.

But I just managed to reach a small retail park just as I reached the five mile limit, which is where I used to do my food shopping pre-Coronavirus lockdown. So I thought well, maybe I'll come here next week to get my food shopping instead of at the Polish shop.

The thing with the Polish shop, at the bottom, where I've been doing a lot of my shopping is I have to have a translator app on my mobile to know what I am buying because it's all in Polish Russian and other East European languages. I do have an Iceland, but the aisles are very narrow and since Coronavirus they made it in one way system which is all too narrow for me to be able to use my mobility scooter and too far for me to walk around the entire store. So I've had to give up with Iceland at the bottom. The Polish shop has very narrow aisles as well.

So I have been restricted in my essential food shopping.

Then I decided to do next weeks shopping now in this new location 5 miles away, because the Polish shop doesn't sell hand wash or kitchen towels and I was minus them, and a few more things, this last week's shop. I have my mask my gloves with me so I was all set to go anyway.

So I managed to go to freezer shop and get Blueberries, and various other things I needed but haven't been able to get at the local shops. And the aisles in all these shops were wide, and my mobility scooter goes round easily (and it meant I could recharge the battery for that when I got home). So I was pleased.

The shops were just about empty at that time. People were social distancing and polite and smiley. It was much more pleasant than when I try to shop very local.

Then I decided to continue to use my mobility scooter to get to the high street, a few minutes away, to check out my dentist. I have an appointment next week, and I had heard nothing. He usually texts to remind me the week before. I had emailed but got nothing back.

Anyway I was in for a disappointment. The notice on the shop front said it was closed now, shut down completely (inside was emptied), and no information how to get another dentist.

So, I knew there was another dentist on the high street, and so went past there. This dentist had a notice in the window saying shut because of coronavirus, and they were not treating any patients. There was a landline number for the Dental Hospital in Rhyl (over 20 miles away) but only for emergency treatment. Basically, say if you lost a filling then they wouldn't fill your tooth, but extract it.

So, I have toothache these last two weeks which I had hoped my Dentist was going to check next week at the check up. So, it is back to the Clove oil again. If I went to the dental hospital in Rhyl, they would pull this tooth out, and it is the holding tooth to keep my top falsies in...

So me is not a very happy bunny.

So, I came back home the coast road, because I was unable to go to the Expressway because apparently it is shut at the moment from England for a good few miles into Wales. It is the Gateway to Wales. I had been hoping to drive home that way and then I could have seen the views across the river. I don't know why the Expressway is closed. There was no info on that.

I start to drive home and there is a big police presence. Witches hats (I have no idea of the proper name for these) all along the pavement and the middle of the road to guide/channel us along for quite a long way. The police didn't stop the traffic on my side, but the traffic the other way. I am still in Wales this is about 4 to 5 miles into Wales from the border.The police were just waving my side of the road through. But stopping traffic on the other side which was coming further into Wales.

There were no police when I had come through earlier just after 7:30 am, but there was literally no traffic then.

I had half suspected when I came through earlier, because there was a temporary white cabin on that side of the road, that there might be a police road block there...

I was glad to get home, but on the positive side, it was a much easier place to shop, (and I wasn't as exhausted as I am trying to walk round the very local shops) and to be able to use my mobility scooter, but I do need to be out very very early.

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen. If you don't fit in either of these groups pretend you do.

After oversleeping this morning a 6.2 was my reward.

Well folks, it seems much confusion is the order of day over lockdown and just for a change it's nothing to do with me.
Luckily I have Mrs J to clarify things for me.
Whoops I am watched, better get busy.
Be good, be careful, if you can't be good and if can't be careful, throw caution to the wind and die.

Reactions: karen8967

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
temp a coolio 36.5
bg a happier 6.2 again
both feeling well, despite break out from lockdown.

missus going back to work Monday i will be designated driver,
but both agree danger spots at moment, apart from Durham, obv
is supermarkets

if we survived Tesco's then work won't be a real issue
all video meets and telephones no court (as yet)
and i drop here off she walks or bus home.If empty
sure at some point i will be collecting,
but for now..all good.

just back from dropping the madam off at her BFF in Croydonm
and i can safely say, London has gone full Cummings lockdown

On heaths, commons and any green spaces masses of people are out, and many jumping the gun on the 6 people rule in many cases.

tho' must be said most groups are 6 ft from each other.

though i did maybe see Dominic Cummings

....or perhaps just some other blind ****,
happily indicating right in a BMW
(who knew, those indicators actually worked ..quelle surprise)
only to decide he meant the OTHER right,,and then turned left...AAGGHH

OMG ...who EXPECTS an eye test to be completed in LONDON ***

are we not all aware Barnard castle....is where it's at.:rolleyes:

anyway i drove past as BMW chappie was then remonstrating with other car driver, indicating HIS was an exceptional journey and matey boy should have given way...

did not stay, but not envisage that ending well,
a large group was now surrounding the crash site.

So to recap.

lock down runs now extended for a good few miles.
once again stuck in traffic jams.
many parks Full.

Stay safe, stay well..?
you decide

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Early bike ride to beat the heat and crowds, heat was already here as was crowds, car parks full, grass verges filling paths busy with family walking groups and it's only 8.30 am. This afternoon decided to walk over a quieter part of Cannock Chase away from the honey spots, could not park ended up on a friends cafe car park, she agreed I could, and walked for 2 hours did manage to see mostly no one then came across a mixed age group of 20 people, no social distancing all fooling around. I think we have to stop worrying about the future it seems many are not taking any notice of rules so why would we expect them to bother with contact tracing, we are on our own, risk assess.

So three quick A5 watercolour sketches based on some ideas from my bike ride and walk. I want to change my stile for a few weeks, these are not the pictures I have in my mind but I will keep doing sketches until I achieve what I can see Inside my head.

Three A5 sketch watercolours, 40 mins total time.
IMG_3251.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3252.JPG

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A quickie pastel today. On a throwaway scrap of blue card (I have a box of paper and card scraps) about 3 inches by 7 inches. You can see the blue card showing through. Took less than half hour.

Why a quickie? Because I am going to drive along the coast road for 5 miles Westwards and see where that gets me. I know where it gets me on google maps, but I want to visually see where it gets me.

There is no point in going Eastwards because I will cross the border virtually immediately into England. If there was something I particularly wanted to visit in England within that 5 miles, I would argue that point with the police if stopped. BUT it is a straight road into Chester with nothing either side to do or stop for. So, there is no point in that.

So, I shall be travelling Westwards this morning. Five miles, it's not going to take me long is it? But it will get me out for an hour. I will take a flask of coffee, stop by the roadside, and turn back. I might get some ideas..

I have checked on the Flintshire government site, and it says Disabled people may use their car to reach their point of exercise, but able bodied people cannot. But where I used to go, the car parks are all shut, so I need to find some new, not exactly obvious places.

Here is pastel pic....and bye.....

View attachment 41768

A sunrise....a new beginning...
Very good and good use of paper colour, captured the moment the sun seems to blossom sending out a burst of golden rays, lovely.

Glad you outing turned up something positive.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Early bike ride to beat the heat and crowds, heat was already here as was crowds, car parks full, grass verges filling paths busy with family walking groups and it's only 8.30 am. This afternoon decided to walk over a quieter part of Cannock Chase away from the honey spots, could not park ended up on a friends cafe car park, she agreed I could, and walked for 2 hours did manage to see mostly no one then came across a mixed age group of 20 people, no social distancing all fooling around. I think we have to stop worrying about the future it seems many are not taking any notice of rules so why would we expect them to bother with contact tracing, we are on our own, risk assess.

So three quick A5 watercolour sketches based on some ideas from my bike ride and walk. I want to change my stile for a few weeks, these are not the pictures I have in my mind but I will keep doing sketches until I achieve what I can see Inside my head.

View attachment 41779

View attachment 41778

View attachment 41780

Winner for artwork. Hug for crowds.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 41779

View attachment 41778

View attachment 41780
Love these 3 quick sketches @Muddy Cyclist
I like the middle and bottom one the best.
The middle one has something to it that I wouldn't mind seeing developed...

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love these 3 quick sketches @Muddy Cyclist
I like the middle and bottom one the best.
The middle one has something to it that I wouldn't mind seeing developed...
Ah! The Stepping Stones in Sherbrooke Valley, I tried to paint these several times so I will attempt to do them in a new stile. Thank you for your comments and helping me decide which to tackle next.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Winner for artwork. Hug for crowds.
Thank you. Crowds not surprising though, no work, no holidays, good weather and people suddenly discovering the beauty of Cannock Chase which is only 25 sq mikes and an AONB. I have never seen it this busy even on holiday weekends and I have lived here since 1972. A selfish side of me hopes all these people suddenly don't realise what a gem there is on their doorstep and continue to visit in these numbers. The humanity in me says good at last people realise this is a magical creation.

The down side is before C19 the AONB were struggling and worried about visitor numbers and how they could be controlled, rare heathland and ancient wood, lots of talk and surveys done to look at shutting car parks and laybyes, herding visitors to visitor centres. I fear this influxes of visitors could see the whole place locked down under SSSI, SAC and Natural England guidlines. There have been two devastating fires in the last week and today we noticed several smaller roads had been barred from entry.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 41779

View attachment 41778

View attachment 41780
I especially liked the middle picture. It reminded me of the water gardens near us.

Reactions: Ryhia and geefull

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

was 4.4 this morning

very hot here today so spent most of the morning reorganising the contents of a freezer ;)
We're trying Katy in a harness for walks and it's really helping to cut down on the whim-whamming and pulling on the lead :)

Since we live near by the sea today was a day of groups of visitors on the beach obviously not local. and a random selection of convertible drivers with the car top down and the radio on.

mr gee went into the village shop to buy some milk and the lady behind the counter was quite cross about some visitors' thoughtless behaviour. There are big notices up outside saying that you should wear a mask or other mouth/nose covering when entering the small shop and only two customers are allowed at a time plus the local ladies have done a good job making natty cloth masks which they have made available in the shop asking only that a small donation be made to a local charity if you take one.

It's not that they mind the extra custom but having made good arrangements to keep the staff and local customers safe she was disappointed that the visitors felt it was ok to ignore this and just wander in and out in family groups without masks demanding ice cream and the kids picking things up and then putting them back :arghh:

Spent about 40 mins in the garden pulling weeds and had to come in for my disreputable gardening hat, got to be good for my vitamin D levels ;)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@gennepher - that's another lovely skyscape, we've been getting some stonking sunsets here these last few days too, fuel for artistic endeavour :)

@Muddy Cyclist - will be interesting to see how you develop those sketches, number two has an interesting composition and I like the vibrant use of colour in number three :)

Art catch up -
Love the stage of the crops when it looks like silk rippling across the fields in the wind :joyful:

upload_2020-5-30_22-19-11.jpeg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 41779

View attachment 41778

View attachment 41780

Liking the pics, and sorry for the crowds but i also like your take on it.

Sure to taper off once we all find other things to amuse us, but as i think you say, nice that after so long denied we are truly seeing the beauty of the world around us.

Home from my jaunt out, seems the UK went Cummings crazy today, judging by the meedja,

also spotted this, sure we all know this from England but the tally for Scotland does seem to reflect similar.

Rather miffed they can't seem to distinguish T1 from T2 and give figures.

Not aware of how difficult this might be, but if other countries can test close to 9 million people in 10 days,
it does show we can do more when we really must.

The entries of deaths must be traceable to medical records at GP's even if no bloods taken at hospital,

which does beggar the question how could they treat us to their best abilities in hospital,
IF they do not treat the underlying conditions as well...Insulin for some, tablets for others, maybe just better food for most..mmhh

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52862575

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good evening all :)

was 4.4 this morning

very hot here today so spent most of the morning reorganising the contents of a freezer ;)
We're trying Katy in a harness for walks and it's really helping to cut down on the whim-whamming and pulling on the lead :)

Since we live near by the sea today was a day of groups of visitors on the beach obviously not local. and a random selection of convertible drivers with the car top down and the radio on.

mr gee went into the village shop to buy some milk and the lady behind the counter was quite cross about some visitors' thoughtless behaviour. There are big notices up outside saying that you should wear a mask or other mouth/nose covering when entering the small shop and only two customers are allowed at a time plus the local ladies have done a good job making natty cloth masks which they have made available in the shop asking only that a small donation be made to a local charity if you take one.

It's not that they mind the extra custom but having made good arrangements to keep the staff and local customers safe she was disappointed that the visitors felt it was ok to ignore this and just wander in and out in family groups without masks demanding ice cream and the kids picking things up and then putting them back :arghh:

Spent about 40 mins in the garden pulling weeds and had to come in for my disreputable gardening hat, got to be good for my vitamin D levels ;)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@gennepher - that's another lovely skyscape, we've been getting some stonking sunsets here these last few days too, fuel for artistic endeavour :)

@Muddy Cyclist - will be interesting to see how you develop those sketches, number two has an interesting composition and I like the vibrant use of colour in number three :)

Art catch up -
Love the stage of the crops when it looks like silk rippling across the fields in the wind :joyful:

View attachment 41784

oh, i do feel for the shopkeepers..crowds do makes us more ignorant i am afraid.

A double edge sword sadly, crowds mean better profits, but more risks
and the danger we go back to a lockdown, quickly.

hope it all settles quickly and the 2nd wave doesn't appear too quick or as widespread as the first.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sat watching the US...OMG
can not believe how this is happening during a Pandemeic.

Reactions: dunelm

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and a 5.8 for me today.

A day of rest.

Find a moment of peacefulness in your day and be careful along the way.

Reactions: karen8967