What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good evening all :)

4.3 this morning

suddenly it was sunny :joyful:, just in time for the weekly shopping trek :hilarious:
not too bad today and more people were wearing masks, presumably in anticipation of the new rules which start Friday (I think), then we dropped off mum's shopping and the car for it's diagnostic.
Grass at mum's was very wet so we came home again until later in the day.

We did manage to get her grass cut late in the afternoon so we're feeling extra virtuous at doing 2 hours of lawnmowering :D the grass was pretty long, if it had got much longer Katy might be disappearing in the undergrowth :hilarious:

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@dunelm - I'm liking the bamboo, especially the leaves and the 'seal' works very well :)

@Muddy Cyclist - sorry I don't know what happened to my comment on your Triumphal arch (the oil one), I had a real job logging in to the site yesterday and getting it to refresh, perhaps it got lost between the pages :sorry:
Anyway I intended to say that I thought it was a strong beginning to your commission, I really like the solid, looming quality the arch has, striding over the hill there and the foreground strokes in gold point the eye and are like quivering antennae.
The watercolour is quite different but the arch is just as monumental, it crowns the hill with the fringe of foliage surrounding it :)

@gennepher - that's an effective texture in the background of the sky and the cat with the door reminds me of Popeye's contribution to the feeling of 'home'. I like the way the placement of the red cat seal contributes to the balance of the composition :)

Arty catch up -

a couple more letterboxes, the idea began as a way to work on my skies but I quite like the format.

no 1 - this was inspired by an image I think I saw on Pinterest, didn't make a note of where :sorry:, adding different colours into the sky
View attachment 42556

now I see it posted it turned out a bit 'explosive' :hilarious:

no 2 - cloud practice, we get a lot of cloud here ;)
View attachment 42557

Thank you @geefull
You can get different effects with your fingers and thumb than with the stylus pen for the screen. I cannot hold the stylus properly with my hands. But I prefer the effects and variation of line that I get with my fingers. The stylus, to me, it does not do as much on the screen. That background effect was the side of my little finger sweeping diagonally across the screen, and I was quite pleased that I discovered that effect. I found, practising during the day, that it was actually quite good in the dark black to get the sweeping effect of the cat’s tail and there is variation in it.

I love both of your letterboxes, in fact I look forward to seeing your letterboxes !

Your predominantly green ones, or green and blue ones are very soothing and calming.

I like the experiment with colours in the sky on your first one that ‘explosion’ made me smile. We have had grey days for the last few days, I am always up to watch the dawn, but it has been grey the last few days. You have just give me the sun!

Thank you :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

Temp 36.1

Another grey rainy morning. I have been awake since 2:50 am. Been tidying and organising my ‘study’, the yellow room which houses a lot of my paper and art materials.

Back in bed for a coffee.

Lots to do today.

Take care

Oh, that large postcard parcel yesterday. I thought when I made an order on this job lot of postcards that there was probably about 50 postcards for £7:50 I think it was. But when I opened the box there was a heck of a lot of postcards, a lot more than 50.

So I checked the receipt and I checked the order again online and I had only paid £7.50 which included postage and packing. So that was a relief for a start. I actually had 750 postcards for the £7.50. I was a bit stunned. And I’m trying to work out the cost of each postcard. I don’t always get my sums right. But I think I paid 0.01p for each postcard. They are mostly of old trains and a boat. This I knew I was getting, and I got the subject matter I wanted. There are 15 different ones and I have 50 of each.

I ordered this for my post crossing, where I send postcards to strangers and I receive postcards from strangers. On their bio people ask for old scenes of your country, they ask for copies of vintage postcards of your country, they ask for old transport photos etc. This box of 750 postcards fulfils all of that for me.

Once I got over the shock of having 750 postcards instead of the 50 I thought I was getting, I’m very pleased because this will keep me going for a long time with my postcrossing activities. The cost of a stamp to send these postcards is £1.42.

Anyway, I was on eBay, And I was looking for some more job lots of new postcards. I found some, I bid on one, I’ve never done anything like this before I’ve never shopped on eBay before. I had made a very low bid, and I won my bid. So, I now have 3 more job lots of postcards arriving possibly around 300.

So I am now thinking, can I start up a wee little business on eBay? With postcards? My mind is working all this out.

Many years ago in the 1990s, I used to have a fax machine and I used it to order stuff direct from China. It was much cheaper than using the wholesalers in this country. There was the language problem a bit, but I did have their catalogue (albeit in just Chinese), and for the most part I did okay. Except for one occasion, instead of one box arriving I ended up with about 50 boxes. Which took up all of my living room. Kept me going for a long time in stock I can tell you, but it was worth it ! I did all this in the days before the internet!

And then there was the time I used to bid in auctions in the 1990s. It was a bit difficult with being deaf and not being able to hear, but I had the auction program so in theory I knew what I was bidding for. I wasn’t always aware of how many boxes came with the box I was actually bidding for….

Have fun. Be adventurous. Seize the day...

Take care.

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Today is that day when an inner voice says, with it being 5.22 and having all that data from your sensor costing almost £50 a throw and Excel doing nothing on the phone, why not? That's how people end up taking 7 readings at intervals between waking and dressing at locations around the bedroom and en suite then averaging them. I think my fbg was in the region of 4.642857143 - give or take. Have a great day - I must grab more data.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think my fbg was in the region of 4.642857143 - give or take. Have a great day - I must grab more data.
Me thinks thou hast too much time on thy hands. :joyful:
Seriously though does it help? I find I habitually take my BG reading as I feel I must BUT I have sheets for every day since diagnosis detailing food intake and results and I'm non the wiser. I'm happy if I have readings in the mid 5s but not sure if that's good or bad for me, N=1 as you say. I now conclude that the only real advantage of feeding Dracula is it keeps my mind focused on the fact that I am Type 2 Diabetic and have to manage that way of life if I'm to survive.

Reactions: ianpspurs

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Straight 6.0 for me, went for a walk yesterday and managed to avoid the crowds that seem to have sprung up.

@Winnie-the-Pooh As you know, we can not give medical advice. All I can offer you are the choices I made whilst I had Covid-19 (which were based on my personal current medical conditions) and direct you to a new line of research that has begun which I unknowingly took part in and have been asked to submit information on.

This latest research is based around budesonide formoterol, a drug used to manage asthma, COPD and conditions such as Crohn's. You can read one of the peer-reviewed collative reports here
https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/inhal...ence-for-treatment-or-prevention-of-covid-19/

There is not enough observable data for any more than a considered opinion at the moment. My father-in-law, a professor of clinical medicine in NY state is taking part in the trials of the 'drug versus intubation'.

As for me, I undertook a regime of supplements that included high dose Vit C, B12, D3, Zinc, and Magnesium. My Mainstay was good old fashioned steaming every hour or so which really helped my breathing https://www.healthline.com/health/steam-inhalation

In relation to the above info, I had increased my budesonide intake by x4 under my doctor's advice. There is also a suggestion to reduce mucus-forming foods, but that can be difficult for people following a LCHF diet https://lunginstitute.com/blog/21-foods-trigger-mucus-production-21-foods-reduce/

I was told to wear my mask as much as I could even though I was self-isolated and live alone, the reason being to reduce dust particles etc being breathed in causing increasing aggravation of the airways.

Hope that helps.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who over indulged in home cooked dead sheep curry last night.

Curtsey of said curry a delightful 8.2 this morning, I blame the Greek style yogurt :) .

Have a great day, Mrs J is moving around so I better make her tea and polish the ground she flies over.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Seriously though does it help?
Nope except to show the absurdity of this whole business. In another thread 2 ladies with excellent control and impeccable LC/keto credentials - late of this parish - have been getting fbgs well in the 6s recently for no obvious reason. At times this whole thing is a farce but don't tell the pearl clutchers. Currently, I'm .34556791 below my previous PB for this time of day on a Thursday in July when there is rain before lunch:angelic:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You guys in the Frozen North must be gleefuly anticipating being levelled up so you can buy some mansions - or adding to your collection in your case @dunelm :angelic:. "Chancellor to exempt first £500,000 of any purchase, saving most buyers £15,000" claims the Telegraph. ONS has the average UK house price at £248,000 England, £162, 000 Wales, £152,000 Scotland and £141,000 N Ireland.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/housepriceindex/march2020#:~:text=1.-,Main points,to £141,000 (3.8%). Didn't our current PM once get the sack from said paper for being economical with the actualité? I think we can sleep safely knowing his track and trace will be protecting us - pedigree of virtue and honesty. (£2500 seems to be accurate figure for average buyer) Bumper times ahead for food banks, homeless and jobless - hurrah:banghead:
There are whole villages for sale up her for the price of a Gregs pasty.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's effort, a watercolour version of the Triumphal Arch Folly at Shugbourgh Hall, I think I like the oil painting of it I did yesterday better, watercolour turned out less dark and foreboding. So back to finishing the oil painting but paint still very wet so it will have to wait.

Watercolour A4 and about 90 minutes...
View attachment 42554
Yep, I do prefer this watercolour version - decisions, decisions.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a rather late start in the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of very slow roast pork belly and a big dollop of cauliflower mash rocked in at 4.5 this am.

Yesterday’s script centered around a quietly retired couple suddenly being made responsible for a 7 month old infant which came with a whole host of optional extras and upgrades but no user handbook. So, just like Ikea furniture, ignore the assembly pictures and just have at it. Seemed to go very well. We didn’t lose any of the spares, managed to heat fuel to the desired temperature and after 8 hours said infant was safely delivered, in good condition, into the hands of people with a tad more energy. I am informed that we passed some sort of test and are now on level 1.2 which takes place tomorrow.

Have the very best day that you can have, I must now have koffy.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are whole villages for sale up her for the price of a Gregs pasty.
Who is Gregg, should i have heard of him or however self-identified? Nanny did tell me if I didn't study hard I may end up eating pasties so I assume none of that is good.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blood sugars settled down again. Was 5.3 last night and 5.I this morning. 2 hours after breakfast 5.6. Would normally be in the high 6s or low 7s two hours after my normal breakfast.

Maybe my pancreas is working a little better than it does normally. I won't be too optimistic though because it has done this before - then collapses in a heap with exhaustion.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...I was off to London this morning but now I'll be working today...fortunately my niece is incredibly patient & understanding so now we're aiming for early next week to meet up...rearranging personal matters is one of the essential requirements of being self employed...it has been peeing down here quiet for the moment but more rain expected later woke to a 6.5...keep safe everyone.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Moaning everyones..
a dull start to the day here.

Dropped her Maj off at work,
traffic back to near normal.

London is or can be a beautiful city, once you raise your eyes above the Starbucks and corp USA we have plastered on every street corner.

and architecturally it should BE admired....

BUT not when your on a bicycle, chatting to a friend, and looking to the roof tops,
and in danger of becoming MY New unwanted Hood ornament.:watching:

Dufus....a toot from me...and an EEK, from him :woot:

and he moved aside..no harm done.

Bloods 6.2..and 40 minute brisk walk later..6.1..

Breakfast sorted, and on with the day.

first BIG supermarket later for spices/ingredients for tonight curry...ooh err.

a jaunt there on Pablo, and then once back plan is a nice sedate cycle ride .

Cat front....Marley comes out for breakfast all cute and bleary eyed, with a swishy tail. like he loves me

after breakfast saunters around like a boss, seemingly to remind me i am still just the 'help'...:rolleyes:

for the T&T ones hunting that elusive sweet spot for T2D...a few time a day now seems my lot.

i could check my heartbeat as often if i wanted to,
or my SpO2, ..but to what end ?

Test as you all see fit, of course,

just don't forget to enjoy the day,

the focus in LIFE,
is not to keep counting how many breathes you take,
but to keep taking those beautiful breathes and enjoy the world around
us as much as possible.

we taking a kicking
But keep on ticking.
Amen

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who is Gregg, should i have heard of him or however self-identified? Nanny did tell me if I didn't study hard I may end up eating pasties so I assume none of that is good.
Whoops, that's upset the Cornish dwellers amongst us.:jimlad: