What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who danced the light fandango.

A 7.2 this morning on the meter of misbehaving and mystery, it must have been something I ate.

Today could be a day of dareing as Mrs J might force me to drive my car and drag me masked into a food shop.

Well fellow posters let's all be naughty and walk down the sweet stuff aisle, pull faces and not buy anything.
Have a great day and hugs if you can't.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good morning everyone - again. Back from a jaunty hack over the moors - just shy of 70 miles - sun streaming into my helmet as I headed east and then a bit chilly coming up over Fylingdales moor towards Whitby.

View attachment 43052

Oh! The wonder wheel of jests and japes decided upon 5.1 this am

Not sure what we are doing with the rest of the day but here is a quick sketch this morning - koffy time. Hope you all have a great day. @ianpspurs - and now I must get pork for dinner.
View attachment 43053

Really good picture, all that's best about up't norf and probably the most sensible BMW motorbike ever made.
How I envy you on both counts beautiful countryside and just the bike for riding in those areas.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.2
Temp 35.5

I planned my little trip in the car from yesterday afternoon (when my feminine outdoors toilet aids arrived from Amazon) , and I checked the weather apps for today from both here and my intended destination. The weather app said lovely fine sunny days for both. So I left at 5 am this morning.

It was initially a fine lovely morning, but then torrential rain came down on the Expressway. I never drive in torrential rain. My car was new just before lockdown, so, I have never driven it anywhere except to the local shops. And it and I have never had a long run together, so I was a bit apprehensive anyway.

I decided to continue my trip because the torrential rain is not going to continue...is it?

It never stopped.

My destination was the sandy beach and a paddle in the sea. And to find a tiny church and holy well.

I got to the beach but the torrential rain wouldn't stop. So no paddle, I was soaked anyway. I had bought my iPad and I was going to try a sketch on Procreate of the beach and sea. But no chance in this rain.

I went to look for the tiny church. I was lucky I found it. I wasn't expecting in these coronavirus times to be able to get inside it. But I was in luck. By now, I am a drowned rat.

Here is the church. It is literally on the side of the road embankment.

IMG_03082020_110317_(1333_x_1000_pixel).jpg

The sky kept going from blue, to black torrential rain.
Here is a bit of info on the church. I think it is the smallest in the British Isles.
IMG_03082020_110438_(750_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Inside the church it seats only 6 people, and the holy well is in front of the altar, but it is covered with a metal sheet.
IMG_03082020_110559_(1333_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Torrential rain all the way home. I didn't dry out in the car. I am in bed now with a warm cat and electric blanket and all I want to do is sleep.

The feminine aids for toileting (whichI needed because no toilets open at the mo) were really a moot point today in all that rain. But they did work...

When I got home I found the car had used a full quarter tank of fuel??? What? It was full when I left this morning. I was too cold and tired to fill it when I got home, but I will fill the tank next time I go out, and then I will know what my little jaunt cost me...

Guess what, clear blue skies outside and sun, not a hint of rain here...

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back from a dry and sunny 2 hour Mountain Bike ride, covered 20 miles and only 400 meters on tarmac excellent.

So as we have had Bike love photos from @dunelm and @alf_Josiah in there recent flights of freedom I though I would join in with a photo of my two wheeled transport. Seen here today halfway along Sherbrook Valley on Cannock Chase...
IMG_3586.JPG

This is one of two I have, hardtail Giant, 80mm front Air suspension for lightness 27 gears of which I only use 3, engine is a 1949 1MP (man power) that is a bit creaky but with no leaky gaskets.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back from a dry and sunny 2 hour Mountain Bike ride, covered 20 miles and only 400 meters on tarmac excellent.

So as we have had Bike love photos from @dunelm and @alf_Josiah in there recent flights of freedom I though I would join in with a photo of my two wheeled transport. Seen here today halfway along Sherbrook Valley on Cannock Chase...
View attachment 43070
This is one of two I have, hardtail Giant, 80mm front Air suspension for lightness 27 gears of which I only use 3, engine is a 1949 1MP (man power) that is a bit creaky but with no leaky gaskets.
Bike, scenery, distance covered all excellent. Hodit would be enraptured by your cycling. Interesting how someone who exercises as much as you is T2 but someone like that slob is leading an anti-obesity crusade. Life/politics is/are so much stranger than fiction.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm Them be mighty fine fishes, great art as always.

@SlimLizzy Thanks for the tip re staggering planting, I will certainly give it ago next year.

@Alien Aspie Sure hope your health worry is something easily sorted and you feel better soon.

@gennepher Hugs for your rain soaked Trip. That church is a great space a good find. Hope you have dried out.

Today could be a day of dareing as Mrs J might force me to drive my car and drag me masked into a food shop.

Well fellow posters let's all be naughty and walk down the sweet stuff aisle, pull faces and not buy anything.
Have a great day and hugs if you can't.

Only problem is nobody will see your funny faces anymore masked up. It does mean you can be really bad and stick your tongue out at everyone. :joyful:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news - the local church I teach in will let me hire the hall from 9th September. So now can teach Wednesday mornings and evenings and Friday evenings. So now am just waiting to hear if my venue for Mondays, Tuesday's, Thursday's and Saturdays will let me start back.

Reactions: alf_Josiah

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting how someone who exercises as much as you is T2
Self inflicted and possibly inherited I'm afraid. Mom was Type 2 and I suspect my Grandfather on dads side. I have been seriously Mountain Biking since 2000 but loved the carbs, pasta, bread, cakes, bananas bike stops for coffee or hot chocolate and always a slice of cake. For breakfast I would devour Home made Pink Grapefruit Marmalade on toast and snack away through my day. The good side now is Mountain Biking at 12 stone is a lot easier than when I was almost 16 stone. :joyful:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm still waiting, the planned callback between 11-1pm went sarff so I shall wait until they reopen at 4pm and try again. Temp is fine and breathing has eased a lot with the steroids so I'm not too worried ;)
Not good. But good you had those steroids.
Sounds as though you you need to have another spare lot, just in case @Alien Aspie

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@dunelm Them be mighty fine fishes, great art as always.

@SlimLizzy Thanks for the tip re staggering planting, I will certainly give it ago next year.

@Alien Aspie Sure hope your health worry is something easily sorted and you feel better soon.

@gennepher Hugs for your rain soaked Trip. That church is a great space a good find. Hope you have dried out.

Only problem is nobody will see your funny faces anymore masked up. It does mean you can be really bad and stick your tongue out at everyone. :joyful:

Thanks @Muddy Cyclist
I think I have the snuffles now...
No more trips for a bit...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Self inflicted and possibly inherited I'm afraid. Mom was Type 2 and I suspect my Grandfather on dads side. I have been seriously Mountain Biking since 2000 but loved the carbs, pasta, bread, cakes, bananas bike stops for coffee or hot chocolate and always a slice of cake. For breakfast I would devour Home made Pink Grapefruit Marmalade on toast and snack away through my day. The good side now is Mountain Biking at 12 stone is a lot easier than when I was almost 16 stone. :joyful:
Interesting just how many of those foods would be on the ok list in the new regime. There will be cals displayed but not carbs. As the sayings go: you can't out exercise a bad diet; not all calories are created equally. Good man for turning diet around and gaining the benefits. 25% of body weight lost - impressive

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My painting for today was scuppered by torrential rain on the beach.
So, I dried off when I got home, slept a bit with a warm cat.

This painting is what I expected to see at the beach.
Just done it in potting shed now on Procreate on iPad with oil and turps brushes in Procreate. Then popped this silhouette I had on the sea.

Cat is still keeping me warm and we are going to sleep until tea time....

956CEE74-128D-4F58-80A6-C6724EC6A91F.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

lindisfel

Expert
Bike, scenery, distance covered all excellent. Hodit would be enraptured by your cycling. Interesting how someone who exercises as much as you is T2 but someone like that slob is leading an anti-obesity crusade. Life/politics is/are so much stranger than fiction.

We just have to make the best of the deck we are served Ian, and not mess it up too much to get sorted.
Problem is, family members can throw stuff you didn't know was coming your way!

But I agree, it not fair, but that's not the deal! :)
D.

Reactions: jjraak

lindisfel

Expert
Great attitude, Muddy.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We just have to make the best of the deck we are served Ian, and not mess it up too much to get sorted.
Problem is, family members can throw stuff you didn't know was coming your way!

But I agree, it not fair, but that's not the deal! :)
D.
Whilst I agree with you and like your attitude, the message from No 10 is people are obese or overweight because they don't work hard enough at understanding nutrition, shopping, cooking, exercising and being a good citizen. Meanwhile they are trying to encourage people into pubs, restaurants, sandwich sellers and shops.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
Yes, it’s pretty good living round here - North Yorkshire Moors on our doorstep (literally) and some fine coastline. Sutton Bank - not a problem and I have been up and down what local cyclists call ‘the chain breaker’ - the 1 in 3 Chimney Bank out of Rosedale on many an occasion - it shares the title of steepest tarmac road in England with Hardknott Pass in the Lake District. Will be tackling it this week all being well.
I worked on transmitters, Dunhelm, so I went up and down some very hairy roads, especially in winter. It all made the job more interesting, especially when using employer's Range Rover and having to charge snowdrifts.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
Whilst I agree with you and like your attitude, the message from No 10 is people are obese or overweight because they don't work hard enough at understanding nutrition, shopping, cooking, exercising and being a good citizen. Meanwhile they are trying to encourage people into pubs, restaurants, sandwich sellers and shops.

I agree with you, Ian.
I am afraid many of our politicians are not into finding solutions to problems like T2D.

He and his 'Rasputin' are into winning political campaigns and spouting slogans that they just use to manipulate the masses.
What did we expect from his Rasputin? Self sacrifice like Captain Oats?
No, just more mass manipulation and to run away if it suits them/him.

Just think what implications there are for farmers, busines and commerce if they fully endorse low carb diets.

They merely have to appear to be doing enough to get their ratings up.
I just hope his mixed messages backfire on him without increasing human suffering.
D.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
Done that a few times in the UK and Europe great fun, but in a 4.2 Litre Nissan Patrol built like a tank in which I did 700k miles on rocks, desert and roads, it eat Land Rovers for breakfast. :joyful:
View attachment 43072
We carried a lot of kit, Muddy.
And the 'firm' had to support kit made in uk.

Also carried a shovel and chains for when low ratio and diff lock didn't help.
D.