What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
WOW @Alien Aspie

That is absolutely blinking amazing

I am still wandering around your painting...

That is not a cheat using the Procreate brush to create leaves, I have used them. But I am looking for an alternative by combining two brushes to create a custom brush.

Edit...it is so annoying to have to shrink your painting down to be able to post it...

Well, I know proper artists use paper and brushes but I have been paper-free for many years so I have to make do digitally. Still so much in Procreate to learn, it is a truly amazing piece of kit.

"Still looks ok" - understatement of the Common Era. "Mr Aspie has produced a timeless, transcendent masterpiece transporting one to a place of peace and safety" Breckland Bugle.

Kind of you. I did use a photograph as a reference, the location I have been to as it is a Daoist monastery (or was). The bridge is said to be a doorway between heaven and hell (there are many in China) when you die you cross the bridge into a type of purgatory before moving on.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Todays Art is much like yesterday's sketch, included as a thumbnail, the difference I see it took a bit longer. :) A4 about 45 minutes I tried to keep it freer and more fluid not sure I managed it but it's done...
IMG_3658.JPG

Yesterday's very quick sketch...
IMG_3654.JPG

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Todays Art is much like yesterday's sketch, included as a thumbnail, the difference I see it took a bit longer. :) A4 about 45 minutes I tried to keep it freer and more fluid not sure I managed it but it's done...
View attachment 43362
Yesterday's very quick sketch...
View attachment 43361

You have managed to keep it freer and more fluid like you said @Muddy Cyclist
And you have kept the essence of yesterday's sketch.
I love this, so gentle and mysterious...

Reactions: jjraak

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have managed to keep it freer and more fluid like you said @Muddy Cyclist
And you have kept the essence of yesterday's sketch.
I love this, so gentle and mysterious...
I'm keen to learn and appreciate what is shared with me. Can you or @Muddy Cyclist explain to me how/where the freer and more fluid occurs/is achieved please. I don't doubt it is both of those but I can't tell how and want to appreciate the talent more. Thanks.

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I know proper artists use paper and brushes but I have been paper-free for many years so I have to make do digitally. Still so much in Procreate to learn, it is a truly amazing piece of kit.

I have barely scratched the surface of Procreate. At the moment I am enjoying doing painting digitally because I am not confined to a desk and specific location.

May I download your painting to my iPad @Alien Aspie ?

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm keen to learn and appreciate what is shared with me. Can you or @Muddy Cyclist explain to me how/where the freer and more fluid occurs/is achieved please. I don't doubt it is both of those but I can't tell how and want to appreciate the talent more. Thanks.
I will try, although it's more of a feeling of the artwork than its physical appearance. Some art can look just like a photograph, this would have been fine before film but now why bother painting as a photograph when that image can be captured through a camera? The great oil painters produced romantic images in almost photographic style as did the Preraphalites although there was an intensity of colour in their painting that even photography would find hard to emulate. Then you have the looser style of the Impressionists giving a feeling of the image but not actually painting it in detail. Then the abstract painters where it so often impossible to know what the subject is, that's at its simplest.

Watercolour is fluid @geefull is very good useing it in a fluid manner. At heart I am an oil painter and so my watercolour painting tends to become overworked, strong colours a loss of transparency, too many lines where a simple single brush stroke would do as well. So I have included some of my own paintings to try and show the difference.

A. over worked to much information although not quite a photograph.....
IMG_2928.JPG

B. Almost abstract, only because I say its heathland and a valley is it recognised as such...
IMG_3559.JPG

C Example of flowing freer style like above with enough detail to be convincing...
IMG_3578.JPG

Then the seascape where the freeness is in the use of wet paint on wet paper and lots of spraying with water to push the paint about. Other than the rocks this is very free and no detailed brush strokes.
IMG_20200114_174103.jpg

C is still complicated as paint needs to be layered, each layer showing through the next, however there is less detail, broader brush strokes, where in A there are lots of small detailed brush strokes.

I hope this helps.

PS sorry I used my own work to explain but it's more accessible than searching the net.

Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you'll have to be initiated into artistic Gnosticism! :)
I'm sure @ianpspurs does have pleanty of Gnosticism although maybe not in the artistic sense but have no fear if he sticks with this thread he eventually will discover it. Remember art does not have any meaning, you either like a piece or hate it it's as simple as that and IMHO that's how it should be.

Reactions: UserABC2021

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will try, although it's more of a feeling of the artwork than its physical appearance. Some art can look just like a photograph, this would have been fine before film but now why bother painting as a photograph when that image can be captured through a camera? The great oil painters produced romantic images in almost photographic style as did the Preraphalites although there was an intensity of colour in their painting that even photography would find hard to emulate. Then you have the looser style of the Impressionists giving a feeling of the image but not actually painting it in detail. Then the abstract painters where it so often impossible to know what the subject is, that's at its simplest.

Best explanation, I may borrow it in the future.

This is why I do not regard myself as an artist, I'm more like a camera or fax machine. Ask me to draw what I'm feeling about something, or be abstract, and it's not happening. I can do it with computer code, turn 1's and 0's into expressive forms like websites, forums, or programs, but that is it.

MC's art (and others here) has feeling, as I've said before, you can almost feel the mood he was in when he did it. It's a skill I will never possess.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Watercolour is fluid @geefull is very good useing it in a fluid manner. At heart I am an oil painter and so my watercolour painting tends to become overworked, strong colours a loss of transparency, too many lines where a simple single brush stroke would do as well. So I have included some of my own paintings to try and show the difference.

A. over worked to much information although not quite a photograph.....
View attachment 43365
B. Almost abstract, only because I say its heathland and a valley is it recognised as such...
View attachment 43366
C Example of flowing freer style like above with enough detail to be convincing...
View attachment 43367
Then the seascape where the freeness is in the use of wet paint on wet paper and lots of spraying with water to push the paint about. Other than the rocks this is very free and no detailed brush strokes.
View attachment 43368

C is still complicated as paint needs to be layered, each layer showing through the next, however there is less detail, broader brush strokes, where in A there are lots of small detailed brush strokes.

I hope this helps.

PS sorry I used my own work to explain but it's more accessible than searching the net.
Thank you for taking the trouble to explain. I "get" A and B and to a certain degree C. Seascape freedom is lost on me. I suspect mainly because I have no idea of how this was made. As regards the later post about if a person doesn't like a piece that is fine, should one not try to find out what the artist was trying to do or convey? This joss sticks lark: I left Uni in 1974 we're done with them, desert boots and labelling milk.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm feeling about something, or be abstract, and it's not happening. I can do it with computer code, turn 1's and 0's into expressive forms like websites, forums, or programs, but that is it.
So you are creative! I was a Sytems analyst and programmer from 1976 until I retired and found that my creative skills were what made writing computer systems in machine code, basic, cobol and later c gave me the edge over many scientists who I employed, you have an amazing creative streak.

But I guess you are right about the emotions, can't explain that just part of me and in my music also, thank you for your compliments.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for taking the trouble to explain. I "get" A and B and to a certain degree C. Seascape freedom is lost on me. I suspect mainly because I have no idea of how this was made. As regards the later post about if a person doesn't like a piece that is fine should one not try to find out what the artist was trying to do or convey? This joss sticks lark: I left Uni in 1974 we're done with them, desert boots and labelling milk.
No, don't bother what the artist was trying to do, always too much analysis IMHO. Like or dislike.
As for Joss Stick Lark, I'm with you, what a waste of quality time and life.:)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So you are creative! I was a Sytems analyst and programmer from 1976 until I retired and found that my creative skills were what made writing computer systems in machine code, basic, cobol and later c gave me the edge over many scientists who I employed, you have an amazing creative streak.

But I guess you are right about the emotions, can't explain that just part of me and in my music also, thank you for your compliments.

It's quite funny because people think that because I'm an aspie that I have no empathy, yet the total opposite is true. Like many aspies I am highly empathic and can read a room very quickly, the problem is I don't know what to do with that information.

In relationships, it was a real pain especially when people say the opposite to what they are emoting :banghead:

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

@Muddy Cyclist has given a brilliant explanation.using his own work as examples.

@Alien Aspie has given his take on this subject.

For me, my art all my life has been for something specific outside of me and my feelings, eg commissioned book illustrations, commissions of paintings etc. It was my livelihood, not my exploration or my joy. Eventually (although I did well financially with it), I came to hate it with a passion. It was what other people wanted from me, but it was the mortgage and the bread and butter, and paid for bringing up 3 children.

I am not a trained artist.

Now I am retired, I do what I want in art, my own experiments and explorations, my choice of media whether physical paints or digital. And I am finally not painting for someone else. I did have a recognisable watercolour style. And sold paintings all over the world. It is also strange to find my paintings from over 40 years ago in Antique and Collectors shops now. But that is a former life.

I hate people saying to me now, you know you can sell your paintings, you could be published etc etc. I am done with all that. I have been published. I am done with art gallery owners and their manipulative ways.

Painting for me at the current time @ianpspurs is a fresh journey of exploration of new ways, new techniques, some with physical paint, and learning digital techniques. I do it for my own satisfaction now. I have not been able to do this before.

This is my take on painting and creative stuff I do.

lindisfel

Expert
I'm sure @ianpspurs does have pleanty of Gnosticism although maybe not in the artistic sense but have no fear if he sticks with this thread he eventually will discover it. Remember art does not have any meaning, you either like a piece or hate it it's as simple as that and IMHO that's how it should be.
That's a very interesting thought, Muddy. I have never thought of art has having no meaning.
Thanks
Derek

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a very interesting thought, Muddy. I have never thought of art has having no meaning.
Just my opinion there are many who would argue 'The meaning of art' our emotions may show I'm sure when we create, painting, music, sculpture but basically it comes down to the audience liking or disliking.
PS whoops I'm getting all @ianpspurs Joss Stick mode, must stop.

Reactions: ianpspurs