What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Todays quote
FB_IMG_1617886634974.jpg

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Good morning everyone.
My FBG an hour or so ago was a rubbish 7.3mmol - stress induced I'm sure.

I have been confirmed after my performance review (which lasted 2 hours and 45 minutes in the end) as now running 2 groups totalling 320 folks, with 40 more to bring on board and 10 direct reports. It's a huge responsibility which has sent my blood sugar haywire.

After taking my new more senior boss to pick up his car - see the photo - his share options have been good I think (!) I went back to work, got to the hotel (not an apartment as I had thought) at 9pm, ordered scallops and a glass of wine which arrived 10 minutes after ordering. At 1am I was awoken to deal with a conference call on the other side of the world.

17c in the valley, so my new team and I are assembling outside on the roof of the hotel for an outside meeting for 3 hours then 1 on 1s for the rest of the day till nightfall.

Tomorrow, design meetings till 4pm and Friday evening off.

Oh mobile ringing....photos to follow.
Hope all well with all.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Son in Law gave me a work out on the bike, 2 hours 30 minutes and we never stopped. He suggested we ride The Monkey Trail and ended up doing ten miles on the trails like I have posted below, that's SIL in yellow jacket on the first down section after a huge switch back climbe, as you can see I didn't see him again until we finished the technical trails, I'm fast but he's young and intrepid.....
View attachment 48757
And of course what goes down must go back up, great ride, good fun and he wants to do more sections next week.
Omg you're a fitness king as well as a tech guru especial. I feel flabby and inadequate!

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
@lindisfel - this is the road you're talking about? The actual white knuckle Highway 101...in an unfamiliar car, it was "interesting"

@dunelm @jjraak my new boss leaving the garage - I think the car is not very planet friendly

@muddycyclist - you'd like this hotel...help yourself apparently, but return...

the dark walk to the hotel. It was a very long day

Dinner photo

Where meetings will be all day

I try to read as many posts as I can between now and 1000 when they arrive...

Hope all well!

101.jpg
boss.jpg
lobbyfun.jpg
hotellate.jpg
dinns.jpg
rooftopmeetinglater.jpg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is a really shocking attitude from your GP. I cannot believe that a GP would give such wrong advice.

It reminded me of a Hospital Doctor who told me that I was deluding myself if I thought I could stay off insulin and maintain remission with a low carb diet. He got angry when I gave him some stats and shouted back at me that T2 Diabetes was a progressive degenerative disease. I am afraid I did struggle a little to stay calm and polite during the consultation. I desperately wanted to say that it was only a progressive degenerative disease if I carried on eating the high carb diet, but I don't like being shouted at so I didn't say it.
I had the same bad advice from GP, and diabetic nurse, and the dietitian @Krystyna23040 and @RFSMarch
I tried following their advice for controlling my diabetes, but it was the eatwell plate etc, and very high carbs. And it was 'diabetes is progressive, you have to eat, so we will give you more and more meds'.
I don't like being talked down to when I am trying point out online their appeared to be other ways of dealing with diabetes. And I did ask him if he could work with me with his knowledge. Dietitian told me he had several years of training, and I had none, he knew it all, so therefore I had to follow his advice implicitly. I asked dietitian when had he done his training, because the pamphlets he had given me were dated many years previously. Didn't go down well, dietitian blew his top and was rude and virtually chucked me out almost saying for me never to darken his doorstep again. I responded in kind to him. I was not rude but I said my piece. Dietitian was having an apoplectic fit by this time. He was being very unpleasant. I could have reported him for misconduct, but I didn't. There was nothing in my words or behaviour that he could report me for.

You can't really blame the average diabetic patient for following the 'official' advice.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
That is a really shocking attitude from your GP. I cannot believe that a GP would give such wrong advice.

It reminded me of a Hospital Doctor who told me that I was deluding myself if I thought I could stay off insulin and maintain remission with a low carb diet. He got angry when I gave him some stats and shouted back at me that T2 Diabetes was a progressive degenerative disease. I am afraid I did struggle a little to stay calm and polite during the consultation. I desperately wanted to say that it was only a progressive degenerative disease if I carried on eating the high carb diet, but I don't like being shouted at so I didn't say it.
@rfsmarch @Krystyna23040 my DSN is a miracle and very proactive. The whole practice is sensational. My wish for everyone is to have the same standard of care and proactivity I receive. Both my GP and DSN are T2DM. That helps spadeloads.

The arrogance of many HCPs is horrific.
Just despicable. I'm sorry you've both been through it.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @gennepher. A cousin of mine mentioned that she could see a face so I explained to her that it is The God of Small Things and that the birds are the fraternal twins - I don’t think that she has read anything by Arundhati Roy. Wholly untrue of course - the ink is random - our brains of course are programmed to find faces in everything that we see.
I see faces in all kinds of inanimate things @dunelm
Especially on the tiles in the bathroom...

Reactions: BRSBRI

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Mine seems to be programmed by someone with a very different spelling of faces. Works amazingly well for press conferences.:angelic:
I need this skill of yours as I am now getting a 3 day presentation and media handling course in Blighty upon return . I'm guessing a poker face won't work!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@lindisfel - this is the road you're talking about? The actual white knuckle Highway 101...in an unfamiliar car, it was "interesting"

@dunelm @jjraak my new boss leaving the garage - I think the car is not very planet friendly

@muddycyclist - you'd like this hotel...help yourself apparently, but return...

the dark walk to the hotel. It was a very long day

Dinner photo

Where meetings will be all day

I try to read as many posts as I can between now and 1000 when they arrive...

Hope all well!

View attachment 48771View attachment 48772View attachment 48773View attachment 48774View attachment 48776View attachment 48777
Great photos @BRSBRI

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
I think you are right about the risks of having blood clots with Covid 19 are much higher than the risks of having blood clots with the AZ vaccine.

I recently read this about the risk from having Covid 19 - which is really scary:

Recent data from the Netherlands and France suggest that of the patients with coronavirus who are admitted to intensive care units (ICU), 30-70% develop blood clots in the deep veins of the legs, or in the lungs.

Around one in four coronavirus patients admitted to ICU will develop a pulmonary embolism.

These rates are much higher than we would usually see in patients requiring admission to ICU for reasons other than COVID-19.
The risk I'm told by daughter Dr to be is far less than getting DVT after long haul flying.
Also shouted out by Hancock this morning she says. A third wave is on its way to the UK. Vacc up everyone. Simple imho

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Thursday in Breckland - don't forget the black bins are a day late due to the Bank Holiday. A sub-optimal 5.1 via Swipey and the reality could be anywhere between 2 and 20. There are obviously reasons but <20 gms carb surely not the culprit. 160 gms protein? or the weird bug circulating the wider family, stealing voices? COVID home tests with while you wait at home results = I'm clear of that. Other key markers remarkably buoyant on high protein:woot: Your new TV sounds a challenge to install @dunelm. I hope the appraisal went well @BRSBRI and that you are very much still in the game @Mrs T 123. Hope all goes well with Majorie's jab @lindisfel. Hug for the aches and pains but mainly for the care home fees @Muddy Cyclist. A good friend of mine has a 100 yo mum whose CH fees are over £1000 per month (per week?) - ouch. He isn't called Sandy, but here's my mate Syd for you @dunelm. I'm thinking he should be made Minister for Education. Cordwangle oh, me dearios.
I channelled all the good thoughts...thank you. I was exhausted after it and even worse 1 on 1 with big cheese and I masked up driving him to collect his car from garage servicing...

On course as they say.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Exact attitude of the doctor who is the Diabetic Expert at my Health Centre. I don't know for certain but I suspect drug money is involved somewhere along the line.
Escobar Pharma...

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Tricky decisions but for now it seems like the odds are well in favor of taking the jabs
@lindisfel best wishes to the other half...let us know how it goes

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Well everyone, do have the bestest of the best evening!

I've run out of time so haven't managed to read all the posts.

Will try at dinner time which I hope will not be at 9pm like yesterday

Sending "awra" best to youse all

Here's the masked up team starting to arrive, I must away!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same bad advice from GP, and diabetic nurse, and the dietitian @Krystyna23040 and @RFSMarch
I tried following their advice for controlling my diabetes, but it was the eatwell plate etc, and very high carbs. And it was 'diabetes is progressive, you have to eat, so we will give you more and more meds'.
I don't like being talked down to when I am trying point out online their appeared to be other ways of dealing with diabetes. And I did ask him if he could work with me with his knowledge. Dietitian told me he had several years of training, and I had none, he knew it all, so therefore I had to follow his advice implicitly. I asked dietitian when had he done his training, because the pamphlets he had given me were dated many years previously. Didn't go down well, dietitian blew his top and was rude and virtually chucked me out almost saying for me never to darken his doorstep again. I responded in kind to him. I was not rude but I said my piece. Dietitian was having an apoplectic fit by this time. He was being very unpleasant. I could have reported him for misconduct, but I didn't. There was nothing in my words or behaviour that he could report me for.

You can't really blame the average diabetic patient for following the 'official' advice.
@gennepher You are right when you say that you can't really blame the average diabetic patient for following the 'official' advice - especially when they are given such bad advice in such appallingly rude and unprofessional way. You definitely could have reported him for misconduct.

I wonder if we are the ultimate nightmare patient for a health professional who has not kept up with the current research. Both Mr K and I have the honour of also being virtually chucked out by another Consultant just because Mr K mentioned some new research. At least she wasn't rude but she virtually threw us out of the door.

Reactions: BRSBRI

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@rfsmarch @Krystyna23040 my DSN is a miracle and very proactive. The whole practice is sensational. My wish for everyone is to have the same standard of care and proactivity I receive. Both my GP and DSN are T2DM. That helps spadeloads.

The arrogance of many HCPs is horrific.
Just despicable. I'm sorry you've both been through it.
@BRSBRI you are very lucky to have such a knowledgeable DSN and GP.
I am very lucky now to have an absolutely super DSN at my local Doctor's surgery. She is 100% behind low carb and has restored my faith in HCPs. She didn't even turn a hair when I said that I need to stay at 20g carbs or lower.