What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 for me - always happy to see a 5 even if it was probably due to the large brandy I had at bedtime.

@Cumberland you and Wispa make a great photo
@Viv19 I must have missed a post somewhere - did you injure your foot since you’ve been away or is it an old complaint? Sounds painful and that’s bound to reflect in your bg readings.
@gennepher still a great fbg and part of a very definite downward trend. Especially good after the stressful recent events.
@johnpol I want to see the ‘handsomest bulldog ever’ he sounds a real character. Love the sandal story. I lost my garden shoes this morning, forgot that Dennis has developed a shoe fetish - I’ll add a photo ( hopefully)
IMG_0389.jpg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven’t seen that programme. When I get home next week I’ll try to see if it’s somewhere online. My internet is now pretty useless. OH has used up the ‘internet with legs’ sim reading news and checking football results. If I order another it will take a day or more to arrive and will be invalid by the next time I come. My phone contract is now at the ‘you have nearly used all the fast connection and will now have only slow connection unless you buy more....’ kind of level. Obviously not verbatim. So I’m watching the infinity circle go around quite a lot now.
Bg last night was an awful 7.6, this morning it was 7.1. Probably down to the damaged foot which is still swollen and painful. Can’t drive and activity is now measured by how far I can walk which is not very far. I still have lots of things to do before we leave so it’s very aggravating.
Oh dear, lots of moaning - sorry about that.

Here is the panorama one
On you tube
>^..^<

And I also watched this on You Tube from parts 1 to 5
But you can miss part 4
Parts 1,2,3, and 5 are the complete sad story of one person...

>^..^<

Reactions: Viv19

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
5.7 for me - always happy to see a 5 even if it was probably due to the large brandy I had at bedtime.

@Cumberland you and Wispa make a great photo
@Viv19 I must have missed a post somewhere - did you injure your foot since you’ve been away or is it an old complaint? Sounds painful and that’s bound to reflect in your bg readings.
@gennepher still a great fbg and part of a very definite downward trend. Especially good after the stressful recent events.
@johnpol I want to see the ‘handsomest bulldog ever’ he sounds a real character. Love the sandal story. I lost my garden shoes this morning, forgot that Dennis has developed a shoe fetish - I’ll add a photo ( hopefully)
View attachment 33957
Sidney "The Handsome" he's only been here for 4 months (we adopted him from another family whose circumstances changed) and its like he's been here all his life, good as gold except when he feels like he's being "neglected" but he is funny with it
received_318636075721730.jpeg
IMG_20190626_204544.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Horror does work when you realise that really could be you. I am not able to look at people eating the ‘wrong’ kinds of foods now, and a cream cake shop I cannot even look at, without feeling physically sick.

>^..^<
I gave you a hug for the reaction you have to seeing cream cakes. I agree that awareness of the problems which many people can develop by eating too many carbs, especially diabetics, is not currently widespread and the Panorama programme was hard hitting. I am wary of becoming too censorious of other people's food preferences and not entirely convinced LCHF is good for non diabetics or problem free for us. Knowing what to avoid and staying on message is now second nature personally. What to actually eat and how healthy that is has become a real issue for me. Not eating anything as the safe option can also become a problem.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.4 this morning though yesterday wasnt the easiest of days and I hardly moved a muscle. I have a very bloody eye this time, last time nothing. Still have discarded the eye patch and lots of ironing to do, dont need to go out.
@Viv19 hug for the swollen and hurt foot, ice and rest maybe. Annoying for you when you need to get on with things. Hope it improves soon. @pavlosn what beautiful photo of your family and as for Min Min well I love cats with unusual markings. I never understand the cats in some European countries are skin and bone I wonder if they just eat what they can find. Yours looks like she orders from a menu lol. This trip will invoke lots of memories for your son and today he will be thinking of you.@johnpol your post about Sidney was funny and so full of love and tolerance. If I was a Bulldog I’d like to be in your house.
Have a great day everyone. Stay well, safe and dont overheat.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just received my blood analysis results.

A bit of a mixed bag with some very good some not so good:

Starting with the good: My A1C score fell from 9.6% (81.4 mmol/mol) on 22/5/2019 to 5,7% (38.8 mmol/mol)today From absolute disaster to non-diabetic range in just over a month. ( I specifically asked and paid for the a1c test as I wanted to remove that 9.6% from my signature in the forum as soon as possible)

My cholesterol levels have also improved
1. Total cholesterol down from 6.5 to 4
2. HDL cholesterol marginally improved from 0.85 to 0.9
3. LDL cholesterol down from 4,9 to 2

My triglycerides have worsened from 1.7 to 2.4. My last meal last night was mostly meat and this may have played a part

Overall my resulting atherosclerosis risk factor fell from 7.6 (very high risk) to 4.35 (low risk)

My PSA scores were also improved moving me to a much lower category for prostate cancer risk. Visiting a urologist was something I was not very keen to do and I can now put this off for a bit longer.

What has actually worsened is my anaemia (and this may be impacting my A1c scores though I am not sure how). Both my heamoglobin count and iron level are still below normal and actually slightly worse than a month ago (probably accounting for the fatigue I am feeling) despite me being on iron tablets for the last couple of weeks.

Vitamin D levels have improved though still below normal so I need to keep taking a supplement.

What have also improved slightly but are still far too high and my main cause for concern are my ESR and CRP scores. These are indicators of inflamation somewhere in the body but do not give indication where exactly and need to be investigated further.

So overall pleased with most of my results
Very great progress indeed , considering your low iron you might need to know that iron is only uptaken in the body when there is enough vitamin C in the same meal , so you might benefit from taking vitamin C in the same meal , vitamin D on the other hand needs fat in the same meal to be optimally uptaken

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I think little Dennis is getting cuter if thats possible. Cats also have a fascination with shoes. My previous cat Ginger used to bury his head and sleep in my tatty old slippers...that was a labour of love! If the boys leave laced shoes around they are like a magnet to my two who play with and chew the laces which doesnt always go down well if they are new shoes. Pets eh!

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I will try taking a vitamin c tablet with my iron tablets. Wish I could have an orange instead but alas....
Very great progress indeed , considering your low iron you might need to know that iron is only uptaken in the body when there is enough vitamin C in the same meal , so you might benefit from taking vitamin C in the same meal , vitamin D on the other hand needs fat in the same meal to be optimally uptaken

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A horrible 7.1 at 9:30 due to eating all the wrong kind of foods , today all the student from my daughters class is coming for a drink and a treat on the tour in an open trolly to all the students parents homes , so they are probably a bit drunk when they arrive here ... I serve Belgium biscuits with raspberry cream, small servings with food on a stick , chips and candy and a lemonade/ vine / cider bowl and other fizzy drinks and water by the way

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Horror does work when you realise that really could be you. I am not able to look at people eating the ‘wrong’ kinds of foods now, and a cream cake shop I cannot even look at, without feeling physically sick.

>^..^<
Yes - I feel the same. It's as though the images I saw in the Panorama Programme forever taint the images of the sugary and starchy carbs I used to love. I.remember many many years ago (probably in the 1960s) that Mary Quant did something similar to stop herself eating all the sweet stuff.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds like a successful form of aversion therapy. The image that is my strength is of my mother in her late 80s having lost her sight. She was a very strong and independent woman, loved to read, enjoyed her gardening, and losing her sight reduced her world horribly. Being dependent on help from my father and other people was the worst kind of torture for her. She also had cancer when she died, but she said the blindness was far worse.
It's not surprising that this very harrowing image is your strength. It must have been almost too much to bear seeing your mother struggle with blindness.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Am on the sofa with radio on and Bobs and Daisy next to me and feeling much better since I took some painkillers. My second eye injection went as expected. As previously the staff were lovely especially the doctor and nurse with me. I met a a delightful lady in her 80s in the waiting room who was dealing with eye cancer (nothing to do with Diabetes) and had/was having some serious treatment but was full of praises for the HCPs. I couldnt help think what an unfair hand she had been dealt but typical of her generation she was taking it all in her stride. I felt very humbled by our convo
So pleased it went well. Relaxing on the sofa with Bobs and Daisy sounds a lovely way to recover.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I think little Dennis is getting cuter if thats possible. Cats also have a fascination with shoes. My previous cat Ginger used to bury his head and sleep in my tatty old slippers...that was a labour of love! If the boys leave laced shoes around they are like a magnet to my two who play with and chew the laces which doesnt always go down well if they are new shoes. Pets eh!

It’s hard not to laugh isn’t it? Those old slippers of yours were probably really soft and cuddly, and would have smelled of you so a lovely comfort blanket for him.
Dennis has the same fascination for laces - if we stop to chat to someone in the street they are delighted when he curls up on their feet, until we realise he’s just chewing their laces.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave you a hug for the reaction you have to seeing cream cakes. I agree that awareness of the problems which many people can develop by eating too many carbs, especially diabetics, is not currently widespread and the Panorama programme was hard hitting. I am wary of becoming too censorious of other people's food preferences and not entirely convinced LCHF is good for non diabetics or problem free for us. Knowing what to avoid and staying on message is now second nature personally. What to actually eat and how healthy that is now an issue for me. Not eating anything as the safe option can also become a problem.
Thank you
I understand.
LCHF is not the whole answer(I don't think any one strategy ever is), but it is a step, at least that diabetics can take, and then work from there. It has lowered my blood glucose readings. But I need to work/adapt/something on it better to attempt to get more 'normal' blood sugar readings.
I research, have done online courses, research old stuff and new stuff, make notes (I am not a spreadsheet or analytical person, but I could go there if I thought that was my answer).

Something, in my opinion, has to be a better answer on so called 'normal' eating for anyone.

I am doing a form of intermittent fasting, which is just eating from dawn or when I get up until about midday, usually about a 6 hour window unless I am out for the entire day. But I have other health problems, including GERD and a hiatus hernia which makes fasting hard for me, I get terrible heartburn. I cannot fast for a longer period because of that. Although I would like to because I feel better and 'cleaner' by not eating.

I do have meds for the GERD and hiatus hernia, but for some reason a mistake by the surgery was made on the repeat prescription and they were not prescribed this time (I didn't realise until I looked in the prescription bag when they ran out), so I went to the surgery, but it is run by the nhs now, as the doctors left under a cloud, and it has been a mess. So they said I had to wait the usual 4 or 5 days for the repeat prescription. This was last Thursday and supposedly I can pick it up today possibly. And the weekend was in the way.

I did argue it was their fault, but nothing. So I have been without my PPI med for nearly a week now. I have been on this since 2004, and on researching it, it looks like it is meant for 3 to 6 months maximum, not 15years.

Yes, I could have gone a lot further in complaining, but I had already been tentatively researching how to come off it, and other strategies. And some research I found, suggested a link with diabetes, which concerned me a lot.

I had forgotten how bad the pain was, but I used my strategies, and hopefully it will be possible to manage without that med.

I don't know how much that med could have caused/impacted on my diabetes.

I had been told by the dietician (a different one in 2004), that I needed to have those carbs and processed carbs for my health and well being, and so I needed to take the PPI. So obviously I followed medical advice of 2004.

I can't help but wonder if taking that med caused my diabetes. And the overload of carbs I had been advised to take. I told them then that taking those carbs for one meal heated my body, but they insisted I was wrong and that had nothing to do with it.

We all have different health problems, different life histories, and pop genetics in that mix as well, and this is a very individual journey for all of us, diabetic or not.

But I do think we have to listen very closely to our own bodies. We have lost that knack for lots of reasons.

A little story (sorry my posts are long ones, but once I write, I write). My young son had growing pains in the early 1980's, he was in tears, it hurt him badly. I took him to doc. Doc said get on with it, all children have growing pains he said. We get back home. I feel for my son, because I was told the same thing as a child, to shut up and put up, no compassion, nothing.

So, I listen to my son. He is only a child but he cannot take any more of this pain. He is crying with it. I didn't know anything, but a mother's intuition told me he needed more water. I only had a 2 litre bottle which had held pop. So we filled the pop bottle with water. And I told him to keep drinking from it during the day.

That was his answer. The growing pains went away. And he was never without his bottle of water(a smaller bottle by now), all through his childhood. Even at school. And even in adulthood he always had a bottle of water in one hand (and his phone in the other...). He has never drunk pop since that day when we were sitting on the stairs together trying to work out how I could help him.

We need to listen to our own bodies, but it has been drummed out of us to be that sensitive.

>^..^<

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.4 this morning though yesterday wasnt the easiest of days and I hardly moved a muscle. I have a very bloody eye this time, last time nothing. Still have discarded the eye patch and lots of ironing to do, dont need to go out.

Hug for the bloody eye, does it hurt?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. I told them then that taking those carbs for one meal heated my body, but they insisted I was wrong
That rings a bell with me Gennepher. For many years I used to overheat especially while eating or after eating and now I eat so little carbs I dont. That to me would suggest carbs cause inflammation in the body (of some anyway). I have become a firm believer of trusting your instincts and taking responsibility for your own health. Of course medical doctors have expert knowledge and that will always be needed but noone knows me better than me.