What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear

I had a similar mishap yesterday when one of my front two teeth (the 2 at the very front) snapped off near the base and all that’s left is a jagged quarter length tooth

I look a right bloody old sight

Luckily no pain (thus far) seeing dentist next Friday

Good luck with your appointment on Tuesday

Oh dear...

We are all looking a right mess!

‘‘Tis the season for broken teeth...

Thank you. Good luck for your appointment too.

>^..^<

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My grandmother had one in her kitchen, the bedding and clothes that could be were boiled in it on wash day. This was when I was very small. My grandmother would put the water in, heat it up by lighting the gas underneath and then put in the washing and carbolic soap. Apparently her mother had one that was set up high on bricks or similar and she had to light a fire underneath to heat the water.

Thanks. So, it's a heated washtub. ??

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She looks away first. Looks at her computer. I can fit you in on Tuesday, she says. Good, I said, Thank you.
Well done gennepher...it's so important to stand our ground otherwise we get completely overlooked...what a shame she made you work so hard for an appointment.

Reactions: Viv19 and gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done gennepher...it's so important to stand our ground otherwise we get completely overlooked...what a shame she made you work so hard for an appointment.

Thank you.
I know it’s important to stand my ground, but life is so hard work at the moment. No wonder old ladies turn out cantankerous...

>^..^<

Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...yesterday was a day of sheer indulgence I did nothing apart from laze about...watch rubbish TV (including Rumpole of The Bailey) and chat on the phone...I was still shattered from my overnight work.. had .a reasonable sleep...looks like it's going to be a hot sunny day so need to get 'Plumpy' out for a walk before it really heats up...woke to a 6.3 (again).

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you.
I know it’s important to stand my ground, but life is so hard work at the moment. No wonder old ladies turn out cantankerous...

>^..^<
I prefer to think of it as assertiveness gennepher… I tried to book an appointment with my GP before he left our practice...the receptionist said absolutely not he had no appointment slots at all...so I dropped him a line he phoned me and I had a half hour appointment with him before he left...so it pays to be assertive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19 and gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
8.2 just now at 5 am

Going down again but by bit

Very little sleep because sheared off tooth flared up badly in the night. I had some clove oil. And used it. First time it only killed the pain a short while. But the second time it killed the pain long enough for me to get to sleep for a bit

My bungalow bedroom was too hot to sleep. It was 25C in my bedroom. So I have had the upright fan on all night with a clothes maiden in front with a wet towel on it...my version of a swamp cooler...

So woke at dawn.

I need to go out and get some more clove oil. The use by date on this is 2007! So it must be about 15 years old at least. It is still effective, but a new bottle of clove oil may have a better edge to it.

I need to plan how to eat today. No chewing. Because the other side of my mouth was flaring up in sympathy, I hope it was no more than sympathy!

>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I prefer to think of it a assertiveness gennepher… I tried to book an appointment with my GP before he left our practice...the receptionist said absolutely not he had no appointment slots at all...so I dropped him a line he phoned me and I had a half hour appointment with him before he left...so it pays to be assertive.

Ah, I remember now.
Yes it does pay to be assertive.
You did well there.

>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do any of you know what a copper is? Not a policeman; this is something people heat water in. I just came across one in Village Diary, by Miss Read, and there is one in the farm kitchen in The Midnight Horse. Both books are fairly old so I don't know if coppers are still used and I have no idea what one looks like or how it works. The books don't describe them at all.

I have been looking for a couple of links for you @SaskiaKC with pictures.
Here is one
https://www.1900s.org.uk/copper-water-heater.htm
And it includes pictures

They were a part of my childhood. Both my grandmas had different ones. One lived in a town. And it was in the outhouse. And was more a brick built thing like in the above link. The other lived in an isolated farm and so it was in the kitchen area where the black-leaded range was. The water for our tin baths was boiled in the copper boiler on the black-leaded Range.

This is the link for pictures of copper boilers

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=o...=537&biw=375&client=safari&prmd=sinv&hl=en-gb

But a copper boiler doesn’t have to be of copper. Calling it a copper was just a general term of heating water.

Maybe these will give you a visual image of the scene you are reading now in your book.

>^..^<

Reactions: HarryBeau

Viv19

I have been looking for a couple of links for you @SaskiaKC with pictures.
Here is one
https://www.1900s.org.uk/copper-water-heater.htm
And it includes pictures

They were a part of my childhood. Both my grandmas had different ones. One lived in a town. And it was in the outhouse. And was more a brick built thing like in the above link. The other lived in an isolated farm and so it was in the kitchen area where the black-leaded range was. The water for our tin baths was boiled in the copper boiler on the black-leaded Range.

This is the link for pictures of copper boilers

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=o...=537&biw=375&client=safari&prmd=sinv&hl=en-gb

But a copper boiler doesn’t have to be of copper. Calling it a copper was just a general term of heating water.

Maybe these will give you a visual image of the scene you are reading now in your book.

>^..^<

I didn’t know that there were so many different sorts, although Dad describes his grandmother’s ‘copper’ as a ‘brick one’ with a fire underneath it. Presumably there must have been some kind of metal container inside the brick framework. My grandmother’s was a tall copper one fixed to the floor in the kitchen, very shiny and quite beautiful- at least it looked so to me as a littlie.

Viv19

8.2 just now at 5 am

Going down again but by bit

Very little sleep because sheared off tooth flared up badly in the night. I had some clove oil. And used it. First time it only killed the pain a short while. But the second time it killed the pain long enough for me to get to sleep for a bit

My bungalow bedroom was too hot to sleep. It was 25C in my bedroom. So I have had the upright fan on all night with a clothes maiden in front with a wet towel on it...my version of a swamp cooler...

So woke at dawn.

I need to go out and get some more clove oil. The use by date on this is 2007! So it must be about 15 years old at least. It is still effective, but a new bottle of clove oil may have a better edge to it.

I need to plan how to eat today. No chewing. Because the other side of my mouth was flaring up in sympathy, I hope it was no more than sympathy!

>^..^<
That’s miserable! You poor thing. Is there no emergency dentist available?

Reactions: gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure what has happened. I think it’s the joint below the toe, at least it’s swollen. As is toe. I thought of going to the walk in clinic except that I couldn’t walk.
I’ve read your other posts @Viv19 on your injured toes.
I do this with both my little toes which have clandestine meetings with the door frames when I least expect it. They are permanently slightly swollen now, although more swollen after their meetings. And it does flipping hurt like yours did.

But I find it’s when I am over tired, overstressed, overloaded, and so my co-ordination is slightly off, and I don’t quite move my feet properly.

I hope your pain eases off quickly.

>^..^<

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s miserable! You poor thing. Is there no emergency dentist available?

Unfortunately there isn’t @Viv19
The Dental Hospital in Wales is in Cardiff, over 120 miles away. So impossible.
It didn’t used to be like this years ago. The dentist I saw at the time used to see me the same day.

There was a shortage of Dentists when I first moved to Wales and a dentist could not be had for love or money. I was without a Dentist for 3 years then. Hence the (out of date) clove oil I still had. There were not enough trained Dentists then.

The new clove oil, I get, when the chemist opens in two hours 10 minutes is going to work brilliantly....

>^..^<

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn’t know that there were so many different sorts, although Dad describes his grandmother’s ‘copper’ as a ‘brick one’ with a fire underneath it. Presumably there must have been some kind of metal container inside the brick framework. My grandmother’s was a tall copper one fixed to the floor in the kitchen, very shiny and quite beautiful- at least it looked so to me as a littlie.

Yes, @Viv19 there would be a metal container within the brick one.

On the farm where I lived it was an actual copper, and like your grandmother’s it was highly polished.

My job as a child was polishing the silver cutlery on a Sunday morning, a job I hated...

I have never polished as an adult...

>^..^<

Last edited: