What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a palaver, it’s taken up until 0830 for the weather to make a decision about a) let’s be all gloomy, and b) why not fry your delicate skin under this big ball of burning gasses. Seems like option b) has won the day.

The wonder wheel of broken promises and mis-direction registered a straight 6 at 0600. Must have been that extra glass of fizzy water at 2200.

Funeral today - motorcycle cortège requested by family of a fallen veteran - 10 of us for the cortège, a flag bearer and a bugler.

Have a great day if you can, don’t get too crispy under all this heat and keep an eye out for those thoughtless folk who lock their animals in hot vehicles.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.6 this morning. Feeling lazy - dog walking and Aldi shop done but don't want to sit down at the computer and do admin stuff. Would much rather do today's Suduko in my newspaper.
Great fbg and busy bee so far this morning. Suduko then coffee in the sun sounds like a cunning plan. @dunelm hug for the funeral but the motor cycle cortege is lovely idea.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do any of you know what a copper is? Not a policeman; this is something people heat water in. I just came across one in Village Diary, by Miss Read, and there is one in the farm kitchen in The Midnight Horse. Both books are fairly old so I don't know if coppers are still used and I have no idea what one looks like or how it works. The books don't describe them at all.
My mother had a copper used to boil the washing mostly the bed sheets before the advent of the washing machine in most households.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've covered so many duty slots DJC it does take it's toll...plus my first job was at a location where they film a certain TV programme the place was 'littered' with TV producers who wanted to film me with my client...they wouldn't take no for an answer...finally I had to point out I was there to work not provide entertainment...it was so difficult & time consuming drumming that into them...as a result when I set off in the evening I wasn't in the best of moods...I wonder if those night duties hastened or contributed to the diabetes diagnosis...just a thought.

I think it’s an absolute certainty that night working contributed to both our diagnoses.. @Rachox has also said the same thing after years spent nursing on night shifts.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funeral today - motorcycle cortège requested by family of a fallen veteran - 10 of us for the cortège, a flag bearer and a bugler.

That will be a wonderfully moving send off.
My nephew died at the Isle of Man TT race a few years ago and the Whiteknights Yorkshire Blood Bikes provided the cortège. The deafening last hurrah revving before they took his coffin from the church was such a powerful experience, I still can’t think of it without weeping buckets.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not good - the tooth - well done standing your ground on that. Don’t run out of clove oil. Would a temporary filling help - they sell them at pharmacies and some supermarkets
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp...gb/groceries/dentek-essential-filing-material

I have just come back from the chemist and am the proud owner of a new bottle of clove oil. But it tastes foul compared to my old out of date bottle.
However, it is working, and am eating chopped up fresh strawberries now with fresh cream.
I looked for that filling stuff, it was exact same at chemist, but double the price. But I bought it. Will try it later.
Thanks.

>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @gennepher for asking about my eye which feels fine but looks scary. I cant believe you cant get emergency treatment and are in pain till Tuesday. My dentist will leave his home at any time on the clock to treat you at great personal expense to you. Hope the new clove oil helps are you unable to take painkillers?

I am sorry for all the broken teeth @Cumberland and @gennepher we would make a right trio of Halloween frights right now!
Have a great Friday everyone. Stay well, safe, get better.

You have a brilliant dentist @PenguinMum. I envy you that.

I have two lots of prescription painkillers for other problems. One make me hallucinate, and that was the replacement for a previous that did the same. The other has no effect on me whenever I’ve taken it. So I take neither.

I do also have some iboprofen which was prescribed for magnet pain, and infection headaches with the Cochlear Implant. And I did take two of those last night to try and sleep, but I won’t be taking them constantly. I use them for my emergencies.

The clove oil is going to have to win!

A pity it wasn’t Halloween!!!! We would win any contest!

>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 for me, clinging desperately to 5s still.
Hugs to those with teeth problems @gennepher and @Cumberland. Toothache is horrible, you can’t think about anything else. Really good to see your fbg is still heading in the right direction though Gennepher.

Thank you!
It does focus you on teeth...
I am pleased with the fbg going generally downwards. Thank you.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Viv19 and @gennepher and @ianpspurs -- thank you all for telling me about your families' coppers. :) @gennepher I will look at those links you posted. I hope the new clove oil will relieve the pain.

FBG for me is 6.3 this morning after barely 5 hours' sleep. I was stressed out last night by a suddenly extremely itchy foot that had no visible bite marks or other marks, plus a headache.

But on the other hand, earlier last night I saw a delightful new video about the small-town apartment community I have been thinking about moving to. Everybody in it looked very happy, and they were all joking with the videographer.

@Cumberland I was sorry to hear about your tooth. So far all the ones I've lost have been molars -- so chewing is interesting sometimes, but at least no gaps up front. Will your dentist be able to mend or replace your front tooth?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, @Viv19 there would be a metal container within the brick one.

On the farm where I lived it was an actual copper, and like your grandmother’s it was highly polished.

My job as a child was polishing the silver cutlery on a Sunday morning, a job I hated...

I have never polished as an adult...

>^..^<

My childhood silver job was polishing the silver too, but I didn't have to do it every week. Mostly for Thanksgiving and Christmas, as I recall. If I'd had to do it every Sunday I might not have enjoyed it as much as it did.

The only silver thing I have now is my baby mug, and I have to remind myself to check it every now and again to see if it needs polishing -- nowadays I use toothpaste. But it doesn't smell as good as good old Wright's Silver Cream.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher I dont think any senior person in this land should be left in chronic pain like that for up to a week and if I were PM it would not be allowed. Yes. I know I am PM but dont have any powers or likely to have other than send you a massive hug.
@SaskiaKC hug to you for the bad sleep, irritated foot and headache. Hope you get a snooze with the KC this aft. @Bubbsie and @DJC3 my wind down TV of choice is Escape to the Country. Shame about your Uggs, I love Uggs and my old black ones do look a bit chewed lol. @dunelm hope the funeral goes as well as can do and well done on doing your tribute.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've covered so many duty slots DJC it does take it's toll...plus my first job was at a location where they film a certain TV programme the place was 'littered' with TV producers who wanted to film me with my client...they wouldn't take no for an answer...finally I had to point out I was there to work not provide entertainment...it was so difficult & time consuming drumming that into them...as a result when I set off in the evening I wasn't in the best of moods...I wonder if those night duties hastened or contributed to the diabetes diagnosis...just a thought.
I think it’s an absolute certainty that night working contributed to both our diagnoses.. @Rachox has also said the same thing after years spent nursing on night shifts.

Thanks for the tag @DJC3
Yes I do believe that 18 years of night shifts preceded by 18 years of rotating days to nights didn’t help with my health at all. Here’s what DCUK says about shift work and diabetes:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/shift-work.html

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Wow. Great news after such a roller coaster ride for you. You must be elated massive congratulations.

Ian

Thank you yes been high for some time and not really in range

I’m happy to be In single figures even 7,8,9s

Have yourself a good weekend - any plans?

Regards
Ian