What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this morning. Headache still in the background but nowhere near yesterday's level. I survived the shopping extravaganza at Ableworld (had to go again yesterday with both parents) riser recliners purchased eventually (30+ to choose from and all of them were tested at least once!)
Off to work today for a rest!!!

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well good morning all, the meter of doom is now trying dirty tactics! you get up feeling like you have done a hundred rounds with Anthony Joshua, thinking that you have had a hypo during the night only for it to say triumphantly 10.2! stick that in your pipe says the meter! But I just wanted a lower reading says I. ah well at least the sun is shining, the sky is blue and all things feel new, a new day and a day to get the old readings meter under control.

Take care everyone.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.0 and off for my 6 monthly A1c and lipids shortly.
@gennepher hope you feel better and able to est something soft today. You deserved that FBG no after yesterday. @Krystyna23040 hope you feel ok after your eye injection, it usually takes me a day or two to feel right. @Bildad good the headaches have lessened, you seem to do a lot for others please remember to take care of you too.
Have a good Wednesday. Stay well, get better, stay safe.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.4 today

still grey and windy but at least it's not currently raining here ;)

Mr gee has begun tidying his shed prior to installing a rack of shelving we bought last week and if it stays dry we will shift some of the stuff outside, vacuum the floor and put the bottom half of the shelves into position this morning. I'm permitted to help, it's an honour to be admitted to the shed don't you think?! :hilarious:

At lunchtime we'll take soup over to share with mum and with any luck get some of the grass piles which we left 'drying' collected up and barrowed away, The original thought was that they would dry out like hay and be put on the bonfire but the ongoing rain put paid to that idea.

I might trim some of the bushes next to the path too if time allows, mum has put some lovely hydrangeas in big pots under her kitchen window but that means you have to walk closer to the bushes resulting in a soggy arm in wet weather.

Hugs and good wishes to @gennepher , @Krystyna23040 and @Bildad hope things settle down for you

Enjoy your holiday @karen8967

Hope your day treats you kindly :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 this morning. ( warning to @alf_Josiah a bit of pet info to follow but I sympathise with your Wimbledon phobia - I just don’t get tennis either ) Today is bin day and Dennis doesn’t like it at all! He was trembling all over bless him - we happened to be in the front garden when they arrived. I don’t know if it was the noise of the dustcart ( which he didn’t see as our road is too narrow for it to get to us) or the dustman in high vis. I don’t think the latter as Mr C wears high vis and that hasn’t upset him.
@gennepher I’ve only just read about your eye appointment and can understand your shock at the results, and to have the dentist afterwards must have been a horrible day. He sounds like a good optometrist which is v encouraging.
@Bildad glad your head is a bit better today I bet you just wanted to lie in one of those recliners with your eyes closed yesterday.
@johnpol great attitude! Hope you are feeling ok now.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear @gennepher

So sorry to read about your testing day.

I absolutely hate going to the dentist so that alone would be enough to make it a difficult day for me.

The news about your eyes must be a bit of a shock but at least it sounds like you are in good hands with this optometrist.

My mother had surgery in both her eyes for cataracts and says that they are one of the best things she ever did as she now no longer needs eye glasses of any kind. Should it ever get to that it seems that the surgery is extremely routine procedure.

Love the artwork by the way

Hope your already feeling better following tooth extraction.

Best regards

Pavlos

Thank you for your good wishes

It was a big shock, but reassuring that this diabetic community is here. And I am getting responses, reassurances, and people’s own stories which help me understand the whole situation better.

That is great about your mother. And reassuring about the cataract operation.

Thanks for the compliment on my art...greatly appreciated.

>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You really have had a day and a half haven’t you? The new optometrist sounds really on the ball. His news wasn’t all good but I believe that if you know exactly what’s happening then you have a chance to fight it. Forewarned is forearmed.
Hope you have a better day today and are able to eat. Big hug.

Thank you very much @Viv19

I agree. I like all the information, not a partial story. Am going to do more research and find stuff that might help. Today is looking for led lighting. Theres a retail park not far, and I can look at what’s available.

Thank you for my hug. Just has scrambled eggs!
You have a good day too!

>^..^<

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All. 6.0 and off for my 6 monthly A1c and lipids shortly.
@gennepher hope you feel better and able to est something soft today. You deserved that FBG no after yesterday.

Thanks @PenguinMum
Just had scrambled eggs!
I feel better because of the support on here. Otherwise I would be down.
Bright sun outside...so wraparound protective sunglasses!
You have a good day and I hope your test results turn out good.
Take care

>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

4.4 today

Mr gee has begun tidying his shed prior to installing a rack of shelving we bought last week and if it stays dry we will shift some of the stuff outside, vacuum the floor and put the bottom half of the shelves into position this morning. I'm permitted to help, it's an honour to be admitted to the shed don't you think?! :hilarious:

At lunchtime we'll take soup over to share with mum and with any luck get some of the grass piles which we left 'drying' collected up and barrowed away, The original thought was that they would dry out like hay and be put on the bonfire but the ongoing rain put paid to that idea.

I might trim some of the bushes next to the path too if time allows, mum has put some lovely hydrangeas in big pots under her kitchen window but that means you have to walk closer to the bushes resulting in a soggy arm in wet weather.

Hugs and good wishes to @gennepher , @Krystyna23040 and @Bildad hope things settle down for you

@geefull you’re allowed in his man shed!!
No one is allowed in my lady potting shed, apart from Popeye !!!

Thank you for the good wishes

Take care
>^..^<

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today is bin day and Dennis doesn’t like it at all!

@gennepher I’ve only just read about your eye appointment and can understand your shock at the results, and to have the dentist afterwards must have been a horrible day. He sounds like a good optometrist which is v encouraging.

Thank you @DJC3 for the reminder about bin day!!!
I’ll remember to put mine out tonight now for their dawn raid...

Thank you. The two together did make a horrid day, but it’s all over in one fell swoop. And I am grateful for this diabetic thread and everyone’s words
Take care
>^..^<

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today is bin day and Dennis doesn’t like it at all! He was trembling all over bless him -
Poor little chap so many new experiences to get to grips with. My friends westie took against the ice cream van in the park, it might have been the music, but he stubbornly refused to walk past it. This has lasted all his life! We used to double back or carry him.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well good morning all, the meter of doom is now trying dirty tactics! you get up feeling like you have done a hundred rounds with Anthony Joshua, thinking that you have had a hypo during the night only for it to say triumphantly 10.2! stick that in your pipe says the meter! But I just wanted a lower reading says I. ah well at least the sun is shining, the sky is blue and all things feel new, a new day and a day to get the old readings meter under control.

Take care everyone.
Hug for the unwelcome reading John but hope your day gets better. Sometimes I think us T2s have it easier as T1 levels seem to be a rollercoaster.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunny, cloud free and still as a mill pond. I don't like it Sarge, it's too quiet. Hugs and good wishes to @gennepher , @Krystyna23040 and @Bildad hope things settle down for you Enjoy your holiday @karen8967. - @geefull your day sounds spiffing - soup? - and I shamelessly copied and pasted a few tags. @PenguinMum best wishes for the tests - you'll smash it young lady. @johnpol I reckon you get your indomitable bulldog spirit from your dogs but gotta love that attitude. @alf_Josiah what's not to love about high level athleticism and obvious dedication to a goal?
My fbg? Well, Neville Longbottom, I had hoped for better - 5.3 - but pretty sure not diet related and reason is well worth it:):):) May the bird of paradise fly up your nose.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got back from dentist. Now have a numb mouth. I am minus a tooth. I have to wait for it to heal, and then in a couple of weeks go back to get a mould made so to have an extra tooth added to my falsies. So that to look forward to. But the painful pressure of that sheared off tooth has now gone.

Thank you for all your good wishes.

I also had an optician’s yearly appointment, which was just before I went to the Dentist, they are next door to each other. It was a different optometrist, a man I have never seen before, but he was very thorough and very informative.

It is still sinking in what he found and told me. The way he did the eye testing and completely different to how I have had it before. I found it it bewildering. It was completely different testing apparatus and screens.

He also did different eye examinations (or they were the same done in a different way?).

He explained the the surface of my left eye was damaged which was why it felt and was drier. So it was imperative I use all the eyedrops I need, even oftener than every hour if needed. But both eyes need frequent eye drops.

He also explained that I should be keeping the eye drops and ointments in the fridge, because the eye itself is like a hot plate (was his analogy) and especially with this hot weather the eyedrops have sizzled away almost immediately they touch the eye. If they are cold from the fridge, they last longer in the eye and are more soothing because they last longer.

Then he asked me if I knew I had damage at the back of my left eye. I said no. So he brought up photographs from 2016 to the present. Before 2016 my left eye was fine. But from 2016 onwards the damage was there and has got worse with each photograph. There was one black spot that got bigger, and now it has been joined by a second black spot. This is all in the left eye. When were you diagnosed with diabetes he asked? 2015 I told him. This is diabetes related, the optometrist told me.

I did have a bit of a problem reading his eye tests. Then he did something different. And shone an LED light on them. Instantly I can read them. You need LED desk lamps, and one by your bedside he tells me. And tells me how to position the lights for reading, writing, and painting. He tells me I can get them from Argos, (and my car car happens to be parked outside Argos, but they were out of stock).

He tells me I do have diabetic retinopathy in both eyes. But that could come and go. However, and this was the bombshell, you have the cataracts developing in your left eye, he told me. The eye hospital told me I didn’t have cataracts at all 3 months ago, I told him. You have now in your left eye, he said. We will keep a close eye on this.

But first I have to get something he said. He went out of the room and tore a sheet of paper off a pad. It has a grid of squares with a black dot in the middle. And is called an Amsler chart. If when I look at this, the grid lines are not straight, and are distorted, wavy, or broken, then I have to get straight back to the optometrist. Because this serious he said.

Do you have wraparound UV sunglasses, he asked. I said yes. So he told me I should always wear them, every time I went outside. I said I did when it was sunny, but he said, no you need to wear them all the time when you are outside.

I was reeling when I came out of the optometrist’s. I am lying on the bed in my potting shed feeing sad, and now nursing a bit of headache with the dentist’s injections. And trying to drink from a bottle of water squirting it to the back of my mouth. The dentist said no food today, and no liquids must touch or swill round the the tooth hole...

Not quite what I expected from today.

>^..^<

A bad day a big rock. Bonus for such a thorough and thoughtful eye examination that, hopefully, will help with good and potentially preventative management. Do you have an Amsler chart for each eye? They are used to check the macular. The maxim “absence of evidence is not evidence of absence” should be considered when using them - I wonder if a chat with your GP about increasing the rate of eye inspections may help.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey, a late night and a reasonably early rise. Just sorted out my kefir so will soon be ready for koffy.

The wonder wheel of exaggerated odds and false Gaussian predictions managed a dodgy 5.9 - slight damage to buildings then.

I started on the accounts last week by taking out the accounts folder (it contains 12 pouches for receipts, IV’s RV’s, bank statements et al.) - I placed it on the kitchen table where it migrated to a chair. After a week it is now ready to open, perhaps, not sure, it may need another day or so. I love the pointless pursuit of adding up, playing with slide rules and trying to remember what “moving averages” and “linear progression” used to be - or even if they need remembering.

OK - time for koffy. Have a great day if you can.

MisplacedIdentity

Morning! It's been over a month since I posted here, I totally forgot then received a notification on my phone this morning!
The heat seems to have played havoc with my readings so I've lowered my long lasting and fast acting via Dsn advice.
This morning was a 5.3. I'm having a reasonable chilled out day whilst pottering around finishing off packing as heading to the Isle of Wight tomorrow whoop!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

4.4 today

Thanks geefull currently sat with a nice diet coke and my kindle just relaxing pure bliss

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A bad day a big rock. Bonus for such a thorough and thoughtful eye examination that, hopefully, will help with good and potentially preventative management. Do you have an Amsler chart for each eye? They are used to check the macular. The maxim “absence of evidence is not evidence of absence” should be considered when using them - I wonder if a chat with your GP about increasing the rate of eye inspections may help.

Thank you @dunelm
Just the one chart. I have to close the eye and look. Then close the other eye and look. And any changes go back to optician’s immediately.

Good idea about doc. Will try that.
Thanks for the idea.

Have a good day.

>^..^<