What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone from a cloudy but dry giant airbase - The Kindness of Strangers - in the none too Exotic East. No fbg because what would it actually tell me that I could affect? Grandchildren's sleepover went as well as we could have asked for. They and JKP remind me of why all this nonsense is worth the fight - #staygrounded. @gennepher another wonderful kaleidoscope and amazing series of observations and insights - thank you. @dunelm thank you for the art. I'm glad Durham went well and that is a good idea about the car. Enjoy the walk. I'm very limited just now as I have a trapped nerve which limits my walking - very quickly tells time is up. I could probably swig morphine and exercise but that seems stupid . I prefer habituation to the pain than the oramorph or any painkillers.. I do need some when being a passenger, driving seems ok but most of my hospital appts advise not to drive after.. @Krystyna23040 have a really relaxing break. More investigation tomorrow - Lat flow needed at 3.00 pm precisely with evidence of result. How will they know it is mine? Meanwhile Elsie remains a bleep nuisance/suspect and the attached is about right IMHO. Despite the foregoing my faith is intact and I sincerely wish everyone a peaceful, joyous day however alien to me the content - even if you eat bacon or prefer koffy to tea.
Thanks @ianpspurs
:)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning @ianpspurs. Just to say empathy for the trapped nerve pain and best wishes for tomorrow. You are blessed to have grandchildren, something I will never experience. Take care and enjoy your tea.:)
Thank you and sorry that our blessing is a sadness for you. I genuinely can't look at or hold those without a very unchristian rage about That Man and his enablers. I do a wonderful job of disguising that:meh:. Please forgive me. I do drink coffee as there is some vague idea it may be "good for me" - which has not worked out as planned so far. God bless and keep you.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good morning all. fbs this morning was 11.2! Not to dwell on that I got to thinking how much small things can alter the way we feel. Last evening I caught sight of what I thought was a small bird flying straight up and down outside my lounge window. On closer inspection I discovered it was actually a large bumble bee on the inside of my window. ( I know---I "should have gone to Specsavers").:D I fetched my humane insect catcher, planning to let it go outside but when I got back it had crawled snugly into the corner of my window frame and was not moving. My husband commented that it must have died. I know that some bees don't live very long but I went to bed feeling quite sad. This morning the bee had walked part way along the window sill. I carefully placed the insect catcher over him and moved him near to my warm radiator. He started to walk so I took him outside and placed him on my rhododendron bush. After imbibing some nectar he flew away. It really lifted my mood and made my day! Simple things----. Have a good week folks.:)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My procedure now postponed until June 16th as no bed available. World leading my **** How many thousands of others waiting so long for investigations never mind treatment?

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
My procedure now postponed until June 16th as no bed available. World leading my **** How many thousands of others waiting so long for investigations never mind treatment?
Aw, @ianpspurs. Sooo frustrating, especially when you have psyched yourself up in readiness.:(

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all. fbs this morning was 11.2! Not to dwell on that I got to thinking how much small things can alter the way we feel. Last evening I caught sight of what I thought was a small bird flying straight up and down outside my lounge window. On closer inspection I discovered it was actually a large bumble bee on the inside of my window. ( I know---I "should have gone to Specsavers").:D I fetched my humane insect catcher, planning to let it go outside but when I got back it had crawled snugly into the corner of my window frame and was not moving. My husband commented that it must have died. I know that some bees don't live very long but I went to bed feeling quite sad. This morning the bee had walked part way along the window sill. I carefully placed the insect catcher over him and moved him near to my warm radiator. He started to walk so I took him outside and placed him on my rhododendron bush. After imbibing some nectar he flew away. It really lifted my mood and made my day! Simple things----. Have a good week folks.:)
'Small' things are the best for uplifting one's spirits @dogslife

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hugs @ianpspurs
I know how it feels. Very demoralising to the spirit.
When I went for my cochlear operation 15 years ago, it was cancelled several times for one reason or another. One was when I was being taken down to prepare for anaesthetic, and the funding had been withdrawn at that late stage...I was so confused and bewildered, and a little bit of me died inside each time.

I went into a stoic sort of neutral state in order to cope, and believing it was never going to happen. Each cancellation was a nail in some proverbial coffin.

I couldn't go through that emotional state again.

And so, I really feel for you Ian. And everyone else waiting...

x

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven in the ordinary - George Herbert

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
@ianpspurs and @gennepher during my many spells on the liver ward I saw many patients wheeled down to the operating theatre only to be brought back onto the ward when their transplant was postponed for many reasons. It is better procedures are postponed while you are at home rather than on the ward, Gennepher will testify to this I am sure.
Just for your amusement during one of my yo-yo episodes while waiting for an operation on the liver unit I took my fishing gear up with me and told the surgeons I was was not going home again, but would spend the day fishing in the local canal and sleep on the ward at night, they did the operation…..the next day.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs and @gennepher during my many spells on the liver ward I saw many patients wheeled down to the operating theatre only to be brought back onto the ward when their transplant was postponed for many reasons. It is better procedures are postponed while you are at home rather than on the ward, Gennepher will testify to this I am sure.
Just for your amusement during one of my yo-yo episodes while waiting for an operation on the liver unit I took my fishing gear up with me and told the surgeons I was was not going home again, but would spend the day fishing in the local canal and sleep on the ward at night, they did the operation…..the next day.
Great story and perfect end result. @gennepher hugs for how that cancellation affected you. As for me, it is apparent how the NHS has fallen apart under the strain of austerity then dishonesty and incompetence by you know who and cronies. Never mind 40 new hospitals, just fund, maintain, staff and run those we have properly.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a somewhat abrupt 5am start here in the dark and dangerous north. Serves me right for going to bed early. Well earlier. Still, it allows me to get loads of procrastinating done before I decide what chores I am not going to participate in. There is a carpet needing cleaning but I seem to have forgotten how the **** machine works - something to do with water in a tank and mixed with some sort of cleaner. But which one? So confusing. I could use laundry powder, that would be an interesting experiment.
Lunch out today and then a funeral to attend this afternoon. Nobody I know, but a funeral should be attended even if the deceased has no living relatives. Anyhow.
Art bit - an extension of something I began last week. It’s taken ages. Why am I even doing this. Must get back to some quick sketching. Have the best day that you can have. I have chosen 18th May 2019. Best make some koffy.

upload_2022-5-31_6-39-12.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

I woke up yesterday morning with Mr Blackbird already doing his fly pasts over Midnight and screeching away. Mr Blackbird is expending far too much energy with this aggression of his.

Then the Raven clan joined in with their harsh discordant noise, and told Mr Blackbird to shut up. I imagine the whole neighbourhood is awake by now, and probably hate birds with a passion.

I use the clicking noise to alert Midnight I am coming out of the study door, and like yesterday that worked. And I have a friendly over large football coming at me, and I am in danger of going flying.

Affection before food again. Fill up all the cat bowls, and all the bird stuff.

I come in for a cuppa, and settle by the window, and gennepher's cat and bird all you can eat diner is in full flow, with Midnight keeping order and presiding over the proceedings.

Little Miss (teenage baby sparrow) comes flying in. She checks the Bluetit fatball feeder first, satisfies herself it is present and correct, then she settles for breakfast at 'her' fatball feeder (the one nearest to me). But then her Daddy comes in and tries feeding off the Bluetit fatball feeder, but Liitle Miss charges up to him and drives him away. She appears to be keeping this Bluetit fatball feeder just for the Bluetits, and herself.

Mrs Bluetit comes in, and her and Little Miss feed companionably for a moment, when Mr Blackbird comes in with a very close screeching fly past. The two small birds slip into the bushy tree, then come immediately out again....

Late afternoon, I am in the garden playing with my art installation, applying more cable ties, trying to fix them on the leg of my swing, when I realise one of the baby bluetits is besides me going round the top lip of the bucket. So cute to watch this tiny wee thing. Then it fell in. Panic from me and the wee baby bluetit because there was a little water in the bottom. But before I could react, the baby bluetit gathered itself and flew back to the lip of the bucket and flew away. I turned round to see Little Miss (teenage baby sparrow) at the fatball feeder, literally inches in front of me. I was fascinated watching her so closely. All these individual feathers on her little body, her beautiful wings, her beady eyes, her mannerisms.

Little Miss owns this garden, she owns and oversees the fatball feeders. She has stood up to the attacks from that nasty Mr Blackbird, and Mr Heffalump (wood pigeon), who are now both visiting less frequently....

Between her and Midnight, this garden has very good supervision...

Creative today is a photo. Don't laugh. I shall call it 'gennepher's art installation'. I dressed it up a little in digital software, so it didn't look so much like bad workmanship...

Make of it what you will...

It is actually 'gennepher's cat self grooming parlour'( I nearly forgot to put the word 'cat' in there...)

I don't have the dexterity to make something complicated anymore...a second pair of hands would have been helpful to hold them in place while I used the cable ties...

It was meant for Midnight to rub his fur against them, and I dismantled all my house brushes, but I still needed a couple of hard ones. I bought some scrubbing brushes yesterday morning, and attached them in the gaps.

So now I announce that 'gennepher's cat self grooming parlour' is officially open.

But no one seems too keen to use it...except I have noticed the badly matted fur on Midnight's back by his tail has pretty much gone by this morning...so VICTORY!!!

A hot cuppa for me...

P.S. By the way I tipped all the buckets of water over, at least until the baby Bluetits are more adept with their flying skills. They do all have a small branch in each, because the frogs jump in and this enables the frogs to get out again, slippery sheer plastic walls are no good for any little creature.

646D2D9A-F8BF-430E-B510-39CB326A83E4.jpeg

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from a somewhat abrupt 5am start here in the dark and dangerous north. Serves me right for going to bed early. Well earlier. Still, it allows me to get loads of procrastinating done before I decide what chores I am not going to participate in. There is a carpet needing cleaning but I seem to have forgotten how the **** machine works - something to do with water in a tank and mixed with some sort of cleaner. But which one? So confusing. I could use laundry powder, that would be an interesting experiment.
Lunch out today and then a funeral to attend this afternoon. Nobody I know, but a funeral should be attended even if the deceased has no living relatives. Anyhow.
Art bit - an extension of something I began last week. It’s taken ages. Why am I even doing this. Must get back to some quick sketching. Have the best day that you can have. I have chosen 18th May 2019. Best make some koffy.

View attachment 54774
I am glad I don't have carpets @dunelm
That would wreck my back trying to use that device. Better take all reinforcements first...

Now, I know what your recent detailed drawings make me think of with that fine detail - Wainwright's ink drawings of the Lake District. It is satisfying doing that kind of detail, but murder on the eyes.
A brilliant drawing.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings on Tuesday in the metric week but perhaps Thursday in an Imperial week. Anyone know or care how to convert days, months and years from one to t'other? Quiet here today with no grandchildren - a very different day was planned. Still, the cancellation means I can, perhaps, help JKP empty the water from the broken washing machine before John Lewis' partners remove it, then install and guide us through how to use the new one tomorrow. Thanks Rishi but you still wouldn't get my vote. By Friday two granddaughters (and parents) will be imported from Southampton and there is talk of some kind of family gathering involving a barbeque. Smacks of spending time with the old fella while we can. News flash guys, I'm still all there - relatively, anyhow - so please skip the hourly obs for now. Oh well, seeing the youngsters all together will be a joy so I'll play along. @dunelm thank you for the art and it is probably safest not to ruin the carpet - no Kirby or 1001 not available way up north? @gennepher, amazingly detailed story: "her and Little Miss feed companionably for a moment" - classic. Just how creative and caring are you with that cat self grooming parlour? Apparently coffee drinkers live longer but probably only because they are obscenely rich - must add coffee beans to this week's delivery whilst turning orf all other devices needing electricity. How much bunting is too much and should I buy in metric or imperial? Now, I must vacuum, dust, polish then try some of this coffee stuff y'all keep banging on about. Be kind, thoughtful and look for Joy. She was last seen posting a letter to a Mr G Brady - who apparently believes it is still 1922. Must be all the foodbanks and malnourished children invented by the fake news purveyors.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogslife and dunelm

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greetings on Tuesday in the metric week but perhaps Thursday in an Imperial week. Anyone know or care how to convert days, months and years from one to t'other? Quiet here today with no grandchildren - a very different day was planned. Still, the cancellation means I can, perhaps, help JKP empty the water from the broken washing machine before John Lewis' partners remove it, then install and guide us through how to use the new one tomorrow. Thanks Rishi but you still wouldn't get my vote. By Friday two granddaughters (and parents) will be imported from Southampton and there is talk of some kind of family gathering involving a barbeque. Smacks of spending time with the old fella while we can. News flash guys, I'm still all there - relatively, anyhow - so please skip the hourly obs for now. Oh well, seeing the youngsters all together will be a joy so I'll play along. @dunelm thank you for the art and it is probably safest not to ruin the carpet - no Kirby or 1001 not available way up north? @gennepher, amazingly detailed story: "her and Little Miss feed companionably for a moment" - classic. Just how creative and caring are you with that cat self grooming parlour? Apparently coffee drinkers live longer but probably only because they are obscenely rich - must add coffee beans to this week's delivery whilst turning orf all other devices needing electricity. How much bunting is too much and should I buy in metric or imperial? Now, I must vacuum, dust, polish then try some of this coffee stuff y'all keep banging on about. Be kind, thoughtful and look for Joy. She was last seen posting a letter to a Mr G Brady - who apparently believes it is still 1922. Must be all the foodbanks and malnourished children invented by the fake news purveyors.
Thanks very much @ianpspurs for those compliments
:happy:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen, so much to ponder over in the postings today.
Blood sugars this morning were 6.8 hmmm have to think about this one.
The art work today is delightfully splendiferous, Mrs J has just informed me that slendiferous is a proper word drat failed again in my use of the engrish language.
Now let’s get technical, anybody with half a brain and has had to perform serious scientific and technical calculations will realise that the S.I. Unit system is much easier to use than the pre 1970/1971 Imperial system. Possibly this issue is being used as distraction and or a bit of free media coverage.
One of the great pleasures in my life is making a stranger smile, irrespective as to how I really feel and me, me’s and myself try to avoid deliberate negativity or doom and gloom hence my loathing of the media. This getting serious so I will sign off and get my 10:30 constant, 10:30 cup of tea, the tea is the constant the time is the variable. Yep time is a variable.
Think I shall go looking for a politician and be nice to them, their that should ruin their day.
Stay safe all

Reactions: dogslife

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.5

I woke up yesterday morning with Mr Blackbird already doing his fly pasts over Midnight and screeching away. Mr Blackbird is expending far too much energy with this aggression of his.

Then the Raven clan joined in with their harsh discordant noise, and told Mr Blackbird to shut up. I imagine the whole neighbourhood is awake by now, and probably hate birds with a passion.

I use the clicking noise to alert Midnight I am coming out of the study door, and like yesterday that worked. And I have a friendly over large football coming at me, and I am in danger of going flying.

Affection before food again. Fill up all the cat bowls, and all the bird stuff.

I come in for a cuppa, and settle by the window, and gennepher's cat and bird all you can eat diner is in full flow, with Midnight keeping order and presiding over the proceedings.

Little Miss (teenage baby sparrow) comes flying in. She checks the Bluetit fatball feeder first, satisfies herself it is present and correct, then she settles for breakfast at 'her' fatball feeder (the one nearest to me). But then her Daddy comes in and tries feeding off the Bluetit fatball feeder, but Liitle Miss charges up to him and drives him away. She appears to be keeping this Bluetit fatball feeder just for the Bluetits, and herself.

Mrs Bluetit comes in, and her and Little Miss feed companionably for a moment, when Mr Blackbird comes in with a very close screeching fly past. The two small birds slip into the bushy tree, then come immediately out again....

Late afternoon, I am in the garden playing with my art installation, applying more cable ties, trying to fix them on the leg of my swing, when I realise one of the baby bluetits is besides me going round the top lip of the bucket. So cute to watch this tiny wee thing. Then it fell in. Panic from me and the wee baby bluetit because there was a little water in the bottom. But before I could react, the baby bluetit gathered itself and flew back to the lip of the bucket and flew away. I turned round to see Little Miss (teenage baby sparrow) at the fatball feeder, literally inches in front of me. I was fascinated watching her so closely. All these individual feathers on her little body, her beautiful wings, her beady eyes, her mannerisms.

Little Miss owns this garden, she owns and oversees the fatball feeders. She has stood up to the attacks from that nasty Mr Blackbird, and Mr Heffalump (wood pigeon), who are now both visiting less frequently....

Between her and Midnight, this garden has very good supervision...

Creative today is a photo. Don't laugh. I shall call it 'gennepher's art installation'. I dressed it up a little in digital software, so it didn't look so much like bad workmanship...

Make of it what you will...

It is actually 'gennepher's cat self grooming parlour'( I nearly forgot to put the word 'cat' in there...)

I don't have the dexterity to make something complicated anymore...a second pair of hands would have been helpful to hold them in place while I used the cable ties...

It was meant for Midnight to rub his fur against them, and I dismantled all my house brushes, but I still needed a couple of hard ones. I bought some scrubbing brushes yesterday morning, and attached them in the gaps.

So now I announce that 'gennepher's cat self grooming parlour' is officially open.

But no one seems too keen to use it...except I have noticed the badly matted fur on Midnight's back by his tail has pretty much gone by this morning...so VICTORY!!!

A hot cuppa for me...

P.S. By the way I tipped all the buckets of water over, at least until the baby Bluetits are more adept with their flying skills. They do all have a small branch in each, because the frogs jump in and this enables the frogs to get out again, slippery sheer plastic walls are no good for any little creature.

View attachment 54775
Ooh! Expansion and entrepreneurship with cleverly conceived cat self grooming parlour and art installation. Companionability abounds with food and grooming. Whatever next.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am glad I don't have carpets @dunelm
That would wreck my back trying to use that device. Better take all reinforcements first...

Now, I know what your recent detailed drawings make me think of with that fine detail - Wainwright's ink drawings of the Lake District. It is satisfying doing that kind of detail, but murder on the eyes.
A brilliant drawing.
Thank you @gennepher and yes, it is a bit like Wainwright’s ink drawings. I have decided to leave carpet cleaning well alone until supervision is available.

Reactions: dogslife

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the art mention and the sound advice about carpets. I thought imperial weeks were measured in furlongs? If ‘s’ is the SI unit of time I suspect that when converting one to another you will need to factor in how exciting or boring time is passing but don’t rely upon anyone waffling on about any ‘fixed values” like the caesium frequency ΔνCs.