What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All. 6.1 this fine morning. Wokeup early with bad hayfever, really hope it isnt a cold because that will prevent my eye injection happening on Wed. Have taken antihistamin and keeping everything crossed. Lots of vacuuming required today since I did a laundry marathon yesterday. Also a trip to Sainsbury for milk and gin :cat:
Bet any one of you can improve on my Monday plan.
@Bildad hurray for no migraine sleep. @gennepher good news best not to ponder the whys of the higher numbers. @trick60 hope your day gets better. @Bubbsie this week is going to be very hot so am not looking forward to watering duty, poor plants!
Anyway have the best Monday you can everyone. Stay well, stay safe.
Hi @PenguinMum
I hit funny cos of the shopping list,
But a proper hug was meant for the worry of wednesday.
Hope whatever it is passes real quick.

(Btw, love how thoughtful you are with every one, )

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ouch,ouch! I hope it isnt too bad and you recover quickly. I dont like cuts on fingers, horrid and makes you clumsy with plasters on. Do they still call them plasters?

Definitely Ouch!, ouch!, and definitely plasters - plural - probably not that deep - a nice thumb slice results in more blood than a years worth of finger pricking. Working on my bike today so best wear a latex glove on my left hand and pretend that I am Madonna (other single glove users available).

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm i think I need to get settled first, todays To-Do list involves speaking to my diabetic nurse, I’ve kinda been half committed to this LCHF plan over the weekend, but I can definitely see the difference. But didn’t want to go 100% without talking to the nurse.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 this morning. Dogs walked at 6am - although I don't actually think the really hot weather starts until tomorrow.

Walk was before breakfast - which we don't normally do. So I couldn't wait to test BS on return. I stopped doggy walking before breakfast when I was on insulin because I would get a really dramatic rise in BS if I walked before eating in the morning.

BS after the walk 5.9 - so no dramatic rise at all, which means that my liver has released just enough glucose to cover the walk. So well done liver.

I suspect (no I know) that my liver (like Dennis @DJC3)i s capable of exceptionally good behaviour at times but then can be reallynaughty at other times.

When I typed the last sentence the thought went through my head that my older Labrador is just like that - although his way of being naughty is being stubborn.

As the thought went through my head my kindle fire predictive text suggested stubborn. Can my kindle fire read my mind - now that is a bit scary.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.7 this morning. Dogs walked at 6am - although I don't actually think the really hot weather starts until tomorrow.

Walk was before breakfast - which we don't normally do. So I couldn't wait to test BS on return. I stopped doggy walking before breakfast when I was on insulin because I would get a really dramatic rise in BS if I walked before eating in the morning.

BS after the walk 5.9 - so no dramatic rise at all, which means that my liver has released just enough glucose to cover the walk. So well done liver.

I suspect (no I know) that my liver (like Dennis @DJC3)i s capable of exceptionally good behaviour at times but then can be reallynaughty at other times.

When I typed the last sentence the thought went through my head that my older Labrador is just like that - although his way of being naughty is being stubborn.

As the thought went through my head my kindle fire predictive text suggested stubborn. Can my kindle fire read my mind - now that is a bit scary.
Or even scarier, was it the "Voices" made you do it ..:wideyed:

;)

As for the Labrador analogy... I'd say spot on for how the body operates...

It really does have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the sunlight of LCHF, before it settles down and realised it's ok.. In fact is better then ok.. Is rather pleasant.

That's when it starts giving back.
A little more energy
Better health
Improvement we may not even notice until a good bit down the line, when it suddenly occurs to us, that that joint pain has been missing for quite a while now..

( For me, my asthma improved dramatically)

Have a good day @Krystyna23040

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 this morning

Enjoyed fantastic early morning swim with my son before heading back to Nicosia and the start of another working week.

Have a great day

Pavlos
20190721_140457.jpeg

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A little more energy
Better health
Improvement we may not even notice until a good bit down the line, when it suddenly occurs to us, that that joint pain has been missing for quite a while now..

Yes @jjraak - you are so right. For me also - my asthma improved and is now virtually non-existent. Allergies are much less severe. Energy levels are higher. Brain is working very well.

now that would be even more scarier!

Reactions: HarryBeau

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all.
Full and overcast here in the capital.

One observation someone else made resonated with me, yesterday, may be of some use to others..

It's not about being in charge of fasting rather it's about listening to hunger.

Hunger is like a child - sometimes it's just grizzling and you can ignore it, sometimes it's really upset and you shouldn't ignore it.

The problem with carbs is you can get into a relationship where you've got an anxious/whiny child that just won't quit

And just quickly, here is a thought provoking post, that doesn't seem to appear on the "Recent Posts" page.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/thought-for-the-day.166537/.

It’s an interesting idea @jjraak, one that I have been mindful of since the enlightening words of;
A, who says you have to eat three meals a day, and
B, who says you have to have a breakfast, a lunch and then a dinner.

I now eat when I am hungry and invariably to what my meter reading is. Seems to work pretty well. Planning and snack pack needed when traveling.

Reactions: SaskiaKC and Viv19

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

;)

As for the Labrador analogy... I'd say spot on for how the body operates...

It really does have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the sunlight of LCHF, before it settles down and realised it's ok.. In fact is better then ok.. Is rather pleasant.

A little more energy
Better health

Yes @jjraak - you are so right. For me also - my asthma improved and is now virtually non-existent. Allergies are much less severe. Energy levels are higher. Brain is working very well - at least it was until I started typing this reply to you and my kindle fire is being difficult.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm i think I need to get settled first, todays To-Do list involves speaking to my diabetic nurse, I’ve kinda been half committed to this LCHF plan over the weekend, but I can definitely see the difference. But didn’t want to go 100% without talking to the nurse.

LCHF is something that you can either diver right into or approach in stages. Say, cut out pasta and rice, then maybe reduce potato usage etc, etc, and monitor your blood sugars and using a food diary. I find that the nasties hiding in sauces, dressings and dips are where care is needed.

Good luck with the nurse - hopefully your nurse will be open minded - I have kind of ignored mine. She is very nice, looks after me very well but her diabetes diet advice is somewhat stuck in July 1948.

Reactions: geefull and Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I made a really good start on my admin this afternoon and you are right - it is a really great feeling to have so much of it done.

I love reading about Dennis. He sounds such a happy puppy.

Well done for getting stuck in. A tedious task but well worth it in the end.
Today Dennis has been reasonably good. The only casualty so far is a loo roll which he snaffled and shredded in about a minute. No cute Andrex puppy capers. Luckily I have more loo rolls!

Reactions: HarryBeau and Viv19

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm manhug for the ad hoc thumb surgery. I knew avocado hand was now a thing but had not heard of tomato thumb. @pavlosn another stunning photo, great fbg and early morning father and son dip sounds very special. @PenguinMum hope the hayfever symptoms relent and Wednesday goes well. @Bildad great news about no migraine. @gennepher good news on dropping fbg and whilst there is obviously a reason for higher numbers you may never know. @trick60 hope your day gets better. @jjraak thanks for link to the think piece good to read of all the work people are doing. My fbg came in at 4.8 which taken at face value is fine. Whether that number is accurate or good for me is a completely different matter. Similar values have appeared quite regularly recently but quite why and how to make them repeatable is a mystery which may have something to do with LC but who knows?

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm manhug for the ad hoc thumb surgery. I knew avocado hand was now a thing but had not heard of tomato thumb.

Thanks for the man hug. As well as tomato thumb, I now have a dangerous bout of turmeric fingers having chopped up a couple of tumeric tubers this morning to make a new batch of turmeric tea.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 today snap @PenguinMum and fingers crossed it’s hay fever not a cold. The eye injection seems to have come round quickly. I love your shopping list!!!
@dunelm tomato slicing cuts are horrible - the juice really stings. At least they are red so the blood wouldn’t notice in your salad!
@Krystyna23040 lovely analogy with our livers and Dennis type mischief. Glad you managed to stay with a nice level bg. I think you’re absolutely right that Kindles, phones, iPads etc can certainly read our minds, or at least listen in. I’ve tested this sometimes by deliberately talking about a subject I’ve no interest in - such as golf, and lo and behold adverts for golf clubs appear in the next couple of days. Spooky!

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning. So low carb high fat end of week one, we weight has gone down by 7 lb I’m sleeping slightly better, my fbg is stable and I’m in board for the long haul. 6.2 this morning following salmon salad for dinner yesterday. Onwards to another week

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No need of any watering here rain yesterday and today.
Managed to get through the night without a migraine!!
@DJC3 as @Viv19 says what else are shoes for - that is a minor indiscretion compared to my two who pulled up the carpet ate the grip strips and made inroads into the newel post at the bottom of the stairs.
Off to work and then a hair cut.
Take care

Brilliant news about the migraine free night - your first for quite a while, you must be feeling very happy this morning.
I don’t know if I’m allowed to laugh at your dogs’ antics ( but I am) it must have been very frustrating!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 today snap @PenguinMum and fingers crossed it’s hay fever not a cold. The eye injection seems to have come round quickly. I love your shopping list!!!
@dunelm tomato slicing cuts are horrible - the juice really stings. At least they are red so the blood wouldn’t notice in your salad!
@Krystyna23040 lovely analogy with our livers and Dennis type mischief. Glad you managed to stay with a nice level bg. I think you’re absolutely right that Kindles, phones, iPads etc can certainly read our minds, or at least listen in. I’ve tested this sometimes by deliberately talking about a subject I’ve no interest in - such as golf, and lo and behold adverts for golf clubs appear in the next couple of days. Spooky!
The random gibberish Alexa suddenly interjects into our lives is even more worrying never mind our TV potentially monitoring our conversations unless we keep checking the default setting.