What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all from a so far bright and dry L.A. on monthly bloods - and Belgiam bun for JKP - day ahead of Feedback wiv Prof Friday. @gennepher what a gorgeous creative, thank you so much for sharing. @dunelm simply Hilaire post - what did happen to Vince and the team of the 80s? - enjoy the lamb and thanks for sharing the art. That is so much like the setting for the origins of Bandy on Bury Fen in my home village: those were indeed the days Mary. @jjraak an oeuf is an oeuf already with the egg yokes. That's all I got to say about that. Enjoy Wednesday but remember what Momma said: life is like a box of chocolates (sans "map") you never know what you'll get.- especially if'n you don't stab or swipe (left or right?)
Thank you Ian

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all from a so far bright and dry L.A. on monthly bloods - and Belgiam bun for JKP - day ahead of Feedback wiv Prof Friday. @gennepher what a gorgeous creative, thank you so much for sharing. @dunelm simply Hilaire post - what did happen to Vince and the team of the 80s? - enjoy the lamb and thanks for sharing the art. That is so much like the setting for the origins of Bandy on Bury Fen in my home village: those were indeed the days Mary. @jjraak an oeuf is an oeuf already with the egg yokes. That's all I got to say about that. Enjoy Wednesday but remember what Momma said: life is like a box of chocolates (sans "map") you never know what you'll get.- especially if'n you don't stab or swipe (left or right?)
Thank you @ianpspurs - is that where bandy legs come from, after a hard match?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
New pain today. Not sure where that has come from but I'm hoping it's temporary. As a result, I haven't been able to move around much today - standing and moving is even more painful than usual so I've been pretty well chained to my big chair and to my desk chair which is right next to it. Ah well. May be better by tomorrow.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.2

Wildlife nighttime video
Cat Jade watching something out of sight - Badger calls & wants the cloths - Jade returns
52secs

Creative...pen and water brush on a postcard
My friend had cancelled our meeting.
And so I went for a carvery lunch.
I sat with my back against a wall (as I always do, experience taught me that one).
I had downloaded something to read on my phone, but for some reason it hadn't downloaded properly, and there was no signal in the pub.
I had my postcards, ink pen, and water brush with me...
Nothing to draw, I'd sat in a secluded part of the pub.
Then a group of 3 people came in, two women with a toddler and a man, in their late 20's I would say.
There was a lot of busyness as they allocated chairs and put their coats and stuff on to the chair next to the man.
I wasn't really taking much notice at this point, just noticing out of the corner of my eye...
Then the women and child left (presumably to order food), and the man got agitated.
He had short back and sides, and extensive tattoos on the left of his neck, and on his left hand.
I am not looking in his direction, but I soft focused my eyes (and I had dark glasses on), and I get the pen and waterbrush and postcard out.
So, eating my dinner with my left hand, I am drawing with my right hand (I had moved the stand up menu so it hid what I was doing.
His hands were clenched.
His eyes were closed...1st pic
Then he took his jacket off, eyes still closed.
He put jacket over his shoulders and his fists were still clenched and he put his head down towards the table....2nd pic
Then he put his jacket back on again, eyes still closed.
Then some busyness at the table when the one of the woman brought him his pint. And then she left.
Third pic (and there wasn't enough room left to do this on a little postcard and a fat pen nib)...was him 'looking' (?) and contemplating that pint in front of him as he was holding it. It was a very long moment of contemplation....
I didn't draw any more, but there could have been a fourth pic where he sips the pint. It was a very long slow drawn out sip, as if time had slowed down. He looked almost at peace. His eyes were still closed...
When the women and child got back, he opened his eyes, and is talking animatedly with them. But to me, his eyes are wrong (to me as a lip-reader), and they were following the sound of the voices in front of him. It is almost like he was putting on a show for them.
I felt his genuine face was the face in the first pic.

I didn't look again. My head is already making up a short story/life history on what lead him to this point.

Time for a nap and a cuppa...

Have your best day

IMG_5730.jpeg

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 this morning.
Have a dentist appt. In Norwich this afternoon to check up on some root canal work I had done. So am going in early to browse around M&S and Lakeland. I have got some M&S vouchers to spend and then of course a coffee before classes.

Am really looking forward to it. Mr K is so happy that he doesn't have to browse around the shops with me.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope today goes well @ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. It is a wet and cool February Thursday in one of England's least pictureskew areas so Howard Keel can have a day off afaiac. Yesterday marked exactly four years here. In the town even from a low start point things ain't what they used to be and the original cast of this close has changed a few times. I thought perhaps Max Hastings was over critical but if anything he was too kind. @gennepher I hope the meal was good and thanks for sharing the carefully observed sketches. Your post did make me wonder just how much a skilled lip reader could glean as a spy or in business deals/politics. @Krystyna23040 bloods went well - Feedback Friday awaits. Enjoy the browsing without Mr K. I don't mind M and S in Cambridge centre probably because of location and memories of very early Christmas Eve with my mum once I could drive: was that really over 50 years ago? I sincerely hope y'all have as good a day as possible - mine requires plenty of tea and a keto scone: they're all the rage among the wokearatti.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
New pain today. Not sure where that has come from but I'm hoping it's temporary. As a result, I haven't been able to move around much today - standing and moving is even more painful than usual so I've been pretty well chained to my big chair and to my desk chair which is right next to it. Ah well. May be better by tomorrow.
Hope you do feel a lot better tomorrow @Annb

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. It is a wet and cool February Thursday in one of England's least pichrueskew areas so Howard Keel can have a day off afaiac. Yesterday marked exactly four years here. In the town even from a low start point things ain't what they used to be and the cast original cast of this close has changed a few times. I thought perhaops Max Hastings was over critical but if anything he was too kind. @gennepher I hope the meal was good and thanks for sharing the carefully observed sketches. Your post did make me wonder just how much a skilled lip reader could glean as a spy or in business deals/politics. @Krystyna23040 bloods went well - Feedback Friday awaits. Enjoy the browsing without Mr K. I don't mind M and S in Cambridge centre probably because of location and memories of very early Christmas Eve with my mum once I could drive: was that really over 50 years ago? I sincerely hope y'all have as good a day as possible - mine requires plenty of tea and a keto scone: they're all the rage among the wokeroratti.
Everything @ianpspurs

As a teenager with my friends in the pub, I could not follow the conversations of a group of friends because they are far too close, and I had no sound clues to figure who was talking, so my head was swivelling like an owl. Too tiring. I gave up.

So, a long boring evening in the pub?
Actually no.
I would lipread people a little distance away, even the far side of that pub room. All you need is a clear sight line to their face and lips. It was even better when you could see both people's lips, then you can follow the entire conversation.

There is no such thing as a private conversation.

It is the reason I often have my fingers near my lips and touching my nose etc, or adjusting my specs. I have no need to do this, but I am aware how much I can lipread...

You have a good day, and mind who is watching you in public when you are speaking....

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.2

Wildlife nighttime video
Cat Jade watching something out of sight - Badger calls & wants the cloths - Jade returns
52secs

Creative...pen and water brush on a postcard
My friend had cancelled our meeting.
And so I went for a carvery lunch.
I sat with my back against a wall (as I always do, experience taught me that one).
I had downloaded something to read on my phone, but for some reason it hadn't downloaded properly, and there was no signal in the pub.
I had my postcards, ink pen, and water brush with me...
Nothing to draw, I'd sat in a secluded part of the pub.
Then a group of 3 people came in, two women with a toddler and a man, in their late 20's I would say.
There was a lot of busyness as they allocated chairs and put their coats and stuff on to the chair next to the man.
I wasn't really taking much notice at this point, just noticing out of the corner of my eye...
Then the women and child left (presumably to order food), and the man got agitated.
He had short back and sides, and extensive tattoos on the left of his neck, and on his left hand.
I am not looking in his direction, but I soft focused my eyes (and I had dark glasses on), and I get the pen and waterbrush and postcard out.
So, eating my dinner with my left hand, I am drawing with my right hand (I had moved the stand up menu so it hid what I was doing.
His hands were clenched.
His eyes were closed...1st pic
Then he took his jacket off, eyes still closed.
He put jacket over his shoulders and his fists were still clenched and he put his head down towards the table....2nd pic
Then he put his jacket back on again, eyes still closed.
Then some busyness at the table when the one of the woman brought him his pint. And then she left.
Third pic (and there wasn't enough room left to do this on a little postcard and a fat pen nib)...was him 'looking' (?) and contemplating that pint in front of him as he was holding it. It was a very long moment of contemplation....
I didn't draw any more, but there could have been a fourth pic where he sips the pint. It was a very long slow drawn out sip, as if time had slowed down. He looked almost at peace. His eyes were still closed...
When the women and child got back, he opened his eyes, and is talking animatedly with them. But to me, his eyes are wrong (to me as a lip-reader), and they were following the sound of the voices in front of him. It is almost like he was putting on a show for them.
I felt his genuine face was the face in the first pic.

I didn't look again. My head is already making up a short story/life history on what lead him to this point.

Time for a nap and a cuppa...

Have your best day

View attachment 66053
Lovely illustrated story - thanks for sharing with us. Hope that the meal was good.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope that today is a better day for you

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When Keiran was young from about three years old he had severe hearing problems in fact he ended up with hearing aids in both ears but he just naturally learnt to lip read his hearing now is ok but he can still lip read so you have to be careful around him as @gennepher says no conversation is private.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone on what the weather mongers predict will be a snowy day here in the dark and dangerous north. A flat 6 this am - oh well. A walk through the woods yesterday - welly boot route, follow the beck and then along the beach. Funicular is closed so a huff and a puff up the cliff steps and into town. Bus - good man. Extra crispy lamb breast - smashing - masses of fat - not so smashing - poured off, left to go solid in the fridge - into the bin. I suppose you could make a tallow lamp but think of the neighbours. Art bit - and now for something completely different. I should practice this sort of thing. Hope your day is kinder than yesterday. I will have a late koffy.

1707385985912.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lovely illustrated story - thanks for sharing with us. Hope that the meal was good.
Thank you very much!
I wasn't very impressed with the meal. The meat was gristly, the string beans were...hard and stringy...the pigs in blankets were so thin and short and no bigger than the top third of my little finger. And the price has gone up lots...

Won't be going back there @dunelm

I have a new venue in mind for my next sketch...it is good practice for my drawing...

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much!
I wasn't very impressed with the meal. The meat was gristly, the string beans were...hard and stringy...the pigs in blankets were so thin and short and no bigger than the top third of my little finger. And the price has gone up lots...

Won't be going back there @dunelm

I have a new venue in mind for my next sketch...it is good practice for my drawing...
Always good to know where not to go mind. I really ought to carry a sketch book and get some practice in. Is sketching in a pub or cafe still plein air ;)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone on what the weather mongers predict will be a snowy day here in the dark and dangerous north. A flat 6 this am - oh well. A walk through the woods yesterday - welly boot route, follow the beck and then along the beach. Funicular is closed so a huff and a puff up the cliff steps and into town. Bus - good man. Extra crispy lamb breast - smashing - masses of fat - not so smashing - poured off, left to go solid in the fridge - into the bin. I suppose you could make a tallow lamp but think of the neighbours. Art bit - and now for something completely different. I should practice this sort of thing. Hope your day is kinder than yesterday. I will have a late koffy.

View attachment 66054
This painting is amazing @dunelm
The dark side of the city....

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 66054
Thank you for sharing the art - different from your usual, Is it in the style of anyone or just as the mood took you: let the wind carry me? The walk and lamb sound as though they made yesterday's troubles, if so be there were any, seem so far away. Excellent.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Always good to know where not to go mind. I really ought to carry a sketch book and get some practice in. Is sketching in a pub or cafe still plein air ;)
True @dunelm
Yes sketching in pub or cafe is still plain air to me, but it might be called urban sketching if you are nit picking on exact definitions. I think there might be more subdivisions of titles within this. To me plein air is anything that is not at home or in the studio.

If you wish to be noticed, and get your dose of people talking for the day, do it openly with sketchbook and art paraphernalia. People will ask to see your portfolio, which of course you always have with you...

If you are in hermit mode, then do it discreetly with a postcard and a pen....