What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Good morning everyone from the interior of a train somewhere on route to The Old Smoke. Misty - it has been since we left home. We expect to get to Kings Cross at about 1230, down the Northern Line a bit to our hotel and drop our bags off. Hopefully there will be no rain and we can go for a wander. Current idea is The Imperial War Museum which is but a 15 minute walk from the hotel. Must be getting old, I keep transposing letters as I type and have to keep looking at the screen and do corrections. It used to be some red correcting fluid (idiot juice) when typing on duplicator skins for the Gestetner on a four bank Imperial typewriter. Nostalgic nonsense. Art bit - a bit of Paynes Grey on water sprayed paper and then try to make something of it. If you are experiencing bin day, I hope that it goes well. My travel cafetière is nearing empty.
my first printing machine was a Gestetner, lithograph.
my second printers had a much older Gestetner which was typesetting, both were single colours.
My first colour was another Gestetner lithographic, it was quite complicated but I only managed to mess it up once. Too much ink.
I also vaguely remember a typesetting typewriter, I think???
nostalgic about that indeed.
did you do artwork in a printers?
I learnt some non drawing artwork for posters, and advertising for fixture lists, and general printing such as invitations, letterheads and a lot more.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I do hope Kirsty can carry on. A shame that you have no local press anymore.
Our local press is now printed in mancland. Which includes the echo.
And whereas it was always an evening paper. It is now a morning edition.
There is a couple of journalists, mainly for football or the courts but the offices and the majority of staff are nowhere near the echo building in the city.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Remember me? Passing through. Sugars soaring and full blood work up and bowel cancer screening revealed a diagnosis of colitis, which might explain the bloods shooting up.
Anyway - stresses and strains of life haven’t changed so probably won’t be a regular here… but thought I would stop by!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Afternoon all.

Feeling washed out today ..ho hum

Likely just did too much yesterday.

& Might be I'm stressing a little bit over hospital appointments.

Why am I finding them so hard to keep on top of ?

Had eye op, had it cancelled.

Now have it scheduled for mid June ...yehaw.

But it needs anesthesiologist to sign off I'm fit enough.

Dates been changed 5 times since I had echo done.

Tried several times to get through ..

Latest one is at 10 am while we are in Greece .

Unlikely they'll call me there, but also I'd rather not be tied to waiting for a call when I'm on holiday trying to relax , if at all possible.

So I'll persevere with that one.

Accident: I get quite a few appointments from pals, who send letters & my solicitors check I can attend ..which I have done for each of them.

However one is for the day I'm scheduled for my eye op.

So that one I need to reschedule....mmhh

Letter suggests calling.

The small print suggests it's just corporate stuff.

But i snap a pic just in case, expand & call number.

Arrange to reschedule & in the hope I make a difference to next person, I mention they perhaps should include the number to call and/or email in a clearer font, as we're not all 20 yr olds.

Got the idea "it's ON the letter, ...doh" was in the person's mind I spoke to, but maybe not.

However they will forward the suggestion.

Grumpy old man mode today.
Opinions on letter appreciated.

( By way of pic, 1.8+ MBs down to 264 kbs with a simple screenshot )

View attachment 67693
it is what as known as a threatening letter.
either obey or pay.
if the appointment is through your solicitor, then contact your soliciter, and inform he/she that it is not a suitable time cos you will be in hospital.
And rearrange it. At your own time and place.
You would think that it's a court summons.
And what is all this **** about having proof of identity in your own home?
Cheek!
Anywho, the important but is where are going in Greece?
I'm very jealous!

No fbg, cos of visit to Dracula for annual for Mrs L and myself.
It was a bit of a kerfuffle as Mrs L didn't want to go.
It took a little gentle persuasion to get her there.
Next is dsn. And the review of our health.
Then it will be back to the doctor, I have no doubt for Mrs L.

Mrs L has requisitioned a new toaster, as the thermostat and release spring seem to be out of sync.
Only one setting now, very burnt, with a sensory overload, and windows open.
Weather, a contrast of a lovely morning followed by a rainy afternoon. Got my hair wet coming back from counselling. My last session. It was a thorough assessment of how my anxiety and mood have improved since I was a basket case at the start, needing the help I needed. It was a bittersweet way to end.
I am now more resilient to Mrs L 's circumstances and I know that I have help at hand, and there is light.
And as Mrs L will more than likely not be much better anytime soon I hope I can cope with it all.
I am making plans, when the worst may eventually happen.
And as I have been reminded every time I speak to someone, to ensure I do look after myself.

That's enough!
Darts and play offs flicking the box remote.

My best wishes to you all as always.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good wet, well here anyhow, afternoon all. Besides echoing Stevie I wanted to thank @dunelm and @gennepher for sharing their talent again today. JKP had her first shingles jab today which she says felt more painful than any other and her arm hurts now. The nurse did warn her it would hurt for a few days and she may wake up tomorrow and for a few days feeling "grotty."
Hope JKP doesn't feel too "grotty" and her arm doesn't continue to hurt so much.
I have got mine booked in June. Am not looking forward to it.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot on your plate @Lamont D , but I detect a certain steely resolve & practicality in your post.

Good to hear & I know the hassle involved, so you have my very best wishes.

As for hols...
Lesvos...

In the spirit of sharing & as a lover of travelling vicariously...

The views
The hopes
Locations

Stayed in 2 resorts last time, north & south.
adding one more to the list in the east this time
(See orange markers)

Travelled to a lot of locations last 2 times, courtesy of Lauren's impeccable research & the kindness of other travellers sharing the love & knowledge of the island.

Screenshot_2024-05-16-21-37-18-087_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-16-21-38-29-448_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-16-21-51-36-746-edit_com.google.android.apps.maps~2.jpg

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Our local press is now printed in mancland. Which includes the echo.
And whereas it was always an evening paper. It is now a morning edition.
There is a couple of journalists, mainly for football or the courts but the offices and the majority of staff are nowhere near the echo building in the city.
That is a shame that it isn't really a local paper now.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good wet, well here anyhow, afternoon all. Besides echoing Stevie I wanted to thank @dunelm and @gennepher for sharing their talent again today. JKP had her first shingles jab today which she says felt more painful than any other and her arm hurts now. The nurse did warn her it would hurt for a few days and she may wake up tomorrow and for a few days feeling "grotty."
Thanks Ian...

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember me? Passing through. Sugars soaring and full blood work up and bowel cancer screening revealed a diagnosis of colitis, which might explain the bloods shooting up.
Anyway - stresses and strains of life haven’t changed so probably won’t be a regular here… but thought I would stop by!
Lovely to hear from you @RFSMarch. I am so pleased you stopped by. Hope you get good treatment for the colitis.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
my first printing machine was a Gestetner, lithograph.
my second printers had a much older Gestetner which was typesetting, both were single colours.
My first colour was another Gestetner lithographic, it was quite complicated but I only managed to mess it up once. Too much ink.
I also vaguely remember a typesetting typewriter, I think???
nostalgic about that indeed.
did you do artwork in a printers?
I learnt some non drawing artwork for posters, and advertising for fixture lists, and general printing such as invitations, letterheads and a lot more.
No artwork in a printers. Just a daft soldier who can use a teleprinter and a morse key

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A lot on your plate @Lamont D , but I detect a certain steely resolve & practicality in your post.

Good to hear & I know the hassle involved, so you have my very best wishes.

As for hols...
Lesvos...

In the spirit of sharing & as a lover of travelling vicariously...

The views
The hopes
Locations

Stayed in 2 resorts last time, north & south.
adding one more to the list in the east this time
(See orange markers)

Travelled to a lot of locations last 2 times, courtesy of Lauren's impeccable research & the kindness of other travellers sharing the love & knowledge of the island.

View attachment 67699

View attachment 67700

View attachment 67701
I have heard from others that Lesvos is a beautiful isle.
I have been to three and the mainland and visited others on boat trips.
Stayed on Kefalonia twice at Skala and Fiskardo.
Bed and Breakfast at Ithaca and the Homer stuff. No, not the Simpson fella.
And Crete, which was great for the beaches and the history (WWII)
But I wasn't impressed with the state of the island itself.
I was far more delighted with our first stay in Skala.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone from the interior of a train somewhere on route to The Old Smoke. Misty - it has been since we left home. We expect to get to Kings Cross at about 1230, down the Northern Line a bit to our hotel and drop our bags off. Hopefully there will be no rain and we can go for a wander. Current idea is The Imperial War Museum which is but a 15 minute walk from the hotel. Must be getting old, I keep transposing letters as I type and have to keep looking at the screen and do corrections. It used to be some red correcting fluid (idiot juice) when typing on duplicator skins for the Gestetner on a four bank Imperial typewriter. Nostalgic nonsense. Art bit - a bit of Paynes Grey on water sprayed paper and then try to make something of it. If you are experiencing bin day, I hope that it goes well. My travel cafetière is nearing empty.
It's odd that, when using a typewriter and either carbon copies or duplicator skins, my typing was far more accurate than it is now, using a laptop. More important not to make mistakes, I suppose because they were a pain to correct. Now I transpose letters repeatedly and find extra letters appearing where they have no right to be. Recently, as well, I've noticed that I think I have keyed in a letter but it is missing on the screen. My touch must have been too light, which is a surprise because I do still pound the keys most of the time. Brain getting a bit lazy, I suppose. Either that or the connections between brain and fingers are failing.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No artwork in a printers. Just a daft soldier who can use a teleprinter and a morse key
I worked with a signwriter. His skills were unbelievable. What he could do with a paintbrush of many sizes, never mind his other equipment, for his art. Nearly as good as yours mate!!!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have heard from others that Lesvos is a beautiful isle.
I have been to three and the mainland and visited others on boat trips.
Stayed on Kefalonia twice at Skala and Fiskardo.
Bed and Breakfast akt Ithaca and the Homer stuff. No, not the Simpson fella.
And Crete, which was great for the beaches and the history (WWII)
But I wasn't impressed with the state of the island itself.
I was far more delighted with our first stay in Skala.
I think kephalonia is prettier.
Liked skala, loved anti samos...the most delightful of beach scenes, and the food flavours . omg.

Trip to fiskardo was nice.

In crete during my 20's travelled around on 250cc dirt bikes. Happy days
Even got a story of being arrested. Mad times .

Oddly our Steph is going there in July I think
Georgioupoli...not far from souda bay

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from what appears to be a fine start to a fine day here in the Old Smoke. Could be just a ruse to tease us into wandering about and then pour it down. Imperial War Museum yesterday and the poster below indicates that low carb diets were a big thing during WW1 - I think that dieting was pretty much mandatory. We have a planned sight seeing route this morning, having a look at things that we haven’t seen before and revisiting some old haunts. Forecast is good so may take our bathers over to The Serpentine. Art bit - I did some indian ink on wet a few days ago on some A5 paper. Hope your day is a good one. One day at a time - try not to break the chain. Now, where is that travel cafetière.

Attachments

• 20240516_172227.jpeg
    20240516_172227.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6312.jpeg
    IMG_6312.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 28

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
5.8 at 03.50 today. Now 5.4.

Loft insulation done although they didn't do as good a job as seemed to be promised. Never mine - we can fix it - or Neil can. Only that one last radiator to go in now and the whole job will be finished.

I'm afraid I've let Neil in for more work - my young friend, who I visited yesterday, has bought an old piano from a charity shop. It used to belong to a well known (here anyway) pianist - Duncan Morrison but, even before being moved, is completely out of tune. I suggested that Neil might be able to get it into tune again, once it's delivered because there is no piano tuner on the Island and he, otherwise, would have to wait until the next time a travelling piano tuner came to the Island. Not entirely sure what Neil will think of me volunteering his services.