What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Frack off :) just giving you an update as to what's happening in my neck of the woods! Quadrilla have fracked off!!! After a 2.9 earthquake that shook many of our houses! About fracking time (am I pushing my luck here??!!!).
You might get away with it.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't work every day Krystyna I couldn't work at that pace too often...I enjoy my work but hate the paperwork that comes after...good luck with the podiatrist let hope you'll be walking on air this afternoon
So pleased that you don't work at that pace too often. I enjoy my work but also hate the paperwork it generates.

The visit to the podiatrist went well but instead of starting to do the paperwork when I got back I began playing mah jung. Hopefully I will do better tomorrow.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to carry on as usual. If I feel the giver of scores is happy with theirs it's a winner. If they aren't it's a hug. We all have different goals.

I agree. And that to me is one of the benefits of this chat thread. We get some idea. When only FBG numbers are posted, without even a smiley face (!) I can't tell. Chat is good. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday November 14th is world diabetes day.

I'm thinking we could do something collectively re putting together a petition. Handing it in to 10 downing street! No idea if I could get this off the ground or how successful it would be but it would certainly raise awareness.

Petition to
1) offer prediabetics and diabetics lchf advice
2) dont offer hclf advice
3) testing kits to be available on prescriptions

@jjraak as you are the man when I comes to IT, have you any ideas?

Anyone else any ideas? @HarryBeau what do you think?

I'm.on a few diabetes forums, then there is Twitter etc we could do this I'm sure of it.

I remember a time when you could actually walk down Downing Street right up to No. 10 -- don't know if you could actually knock on the door tho' ...

Would it do any good to get the Prince of Wales interested? November 14th being his birthday and all ...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 8.6

No idea why the rise. But I forgot to eat before I went out yesterday, and then I thought I would have fish, but shop was closed, so next best thing was a packet of corned beef (easy to eat) in another shop, which I ate half of. No idea what the sugars were. When I came home I had the bone broth I had prepared earlier but forgot to eat, but I did have half an onion in it. I have no idea how onion affects my sugars. I still have half of it left, so if I remember I will take readings before and after, but it’s a busy day and I might forget.

I can make another batch tomorrow and I will be in for the next few days, so can take proper regular readings then, to keep an eye on what onion does to me.

I didn’t take any readings during the day, because I didn’t want to waste the strips (it’s not cheap all this self funded testing as we all know), and my readings were going to be whatever they were going to be at that point.

Meditation now. Still dark outside.
Going to get a new electric heated throw today. The one I have on top of my bed is 4 years old, nothing wrong with it but I use it a lot as I almost never have the central heating on. My eyes get too dry too quickly with any central heating anywhere. And no amount of eyedrops or different eyedrops help when central heating is on. Yes I have humidifiers on (in each room) in the house, but even they are not enough to help my eyes with the dryness of the central heating.

This is why I like being outside so much, even being in the potting shed in snow and frost. The coldness soothes my eyes. I have a cosy warm down jacket in there, and I am toasty with mittens and hat on. So it’s not really I am a batty old lady, it’s necessity. And I love the variety of hats and mittens people make for me. Also today I am going to the fabric mills where there is loads beautiful wool. I have designed a couple of new hats I want to crochet. Daughter from Oz keeps me supplied in fingerless mittens. She is making some dragon ones for me at the moment!

So my bed heated throw will go into the front room (for the moment) because yesterday the front room throw overheated badly suddenly, nearly burnt me with the sudden heat. No smell or anything, it was only a year old, so turned it off quick. I was going to bin it, but then I realised if I cut the electric leads off, it was stiff enough to make a warm igloo for the cat. Popeye usually literally wraps himself in the orange fur fleece I have. That’s another thing I could get from the mills today, a nice new furry fleece for him. But he will probably prefer my old stuff that has my ‘smell/scent’ to it.

So a busy day today.

Have fun. Take care. Check all electric blankets and throws. Bin them if you are unsure and invest in new ones. There are some reasonably priced electric throws in Argos at the moment, but they can sell out quickly nearer Christmas, and you can then end up waiting for the following year’s autumn before you can get some more.

I am going to have fun today spending. Christmas will be early for me!!! :)

And then I am going to have to save my pennies all over again!!!

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
a nice smattering of scores everyone.

welcome back @True Blue
condolences for the bereavement.

@dunelm ..enjoy the trip, the french way seems to agree with you..:D

a nicely rounded 5.6 for me this am.

yesterday was yet another rest day for me,
yet turned into a tech day in the end.

laurens iphone no chargee...cue panic.:woot:.

so i charged up the older versions just in case.
all working well, but she got the iphone working eventually..(must be time to upgrade again..:rolleyes:..:hilarious:)

so with a little nudge from google i updated
windows to 1903..all seems ok so far.

so while at it, the old chromebook is on it's last update.
been a good little buy, not used too often but served well when pushed into service.
grew into google docs etc, openoffice, all sufficed for my needs
( laptop available IF heavy lifting needed )

might buy another or most probably swap Google OS for Cloudready
(updates will lag, but better then no updates /security)
still tempted by a small linux version..(2gb so won't take the big uns too well)

And madams Kindle, got a text from amazon, it's also reaching end of life, so the update MAY have been
done by lauren (probably not) but it's now blank, so maybe a new kindle for her for xmas is on the cards

Off out today..me and our steph..chinatown..wish me luck..:watching:
ribs, duck noodle soup, pak choi...and a beer or two.

So off out, good luck all.
best wishes for a good day.

So much tech - I would have to hide in another room.
Since retiring, I have tried to manage with my IPad and android phone - kindle is hiding in a cupboard as I have kindle app on IPad, laptop only makes an appearance when I want to plan a route for my garmin - then I get 400, 000 emails and warnings of an update or 12 if wrong buttons pressed.

Have a great day

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.... laptop only makes an appearance when I want to plan a route for my garmin - then I get 400, 000 emails and warnings of an update or 12 if wrong buttons pressed.

Have a great day

My laptop is hiding in a cupboard and waiting too. I have booked a slot in my diary for Wetherspoons for the day where I can update it, and where I can have unlimited coffee (all day) for the price of one coffee. And there is free excellent wi fi, and table number 13 is right by an electric wall socket...

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 8.6

No idea why the rise. But I forgot to eat before I went out yesterday, and then I thought I would have fish, but shop was closed, so next best thing was a packet of corned beef (easy to eat) in another shop, which I ate half of. No idea what the sugars were. When I came home I had the bone broth I had prepared earlier but forgot to eat, but I did have half an onion in it. I have no idea how onion affects my sugars. I still have half of it left, so if I remember I will take readings before and after, but it’s a busy day and I might forget.

I can make another batch tomorrow and I will be in for the next few days, so can take proper regular readings then, to keep an eye on what onion does to me.

I didn’t take any readings during the day, because I didn’t want to waste the strips (it’s not cheap all this self funded testing as we all know), and my readings were going to be whatever they were going to be at that point.

Meditation now. Still dark outside.
Going to get a new electric heated throw today. The one I have on top of my bed is 4 years old, nothing wrong with it but I use it a lot as I almost never have the central heating on. My eyes get too dry too quickly with any central heating anywhere. And no amount of eyedrops or different eyedrops help when central heating is on. Yes I have humidifiers on (in each room) in the house, but even they are not enough to help my eyes with the dryness of the central heating.

This is why I like being outside so much, even being in the potting shed in snow and frost. The coldness soothes my eyes. I have a cosy warm down jacket in there, and I am toasty with mittens and hat on. So it’s not really I am a batty old lady, it’s necessity. And I love the variety of hats and mittens people make for me. Also today I am going to the fabric mills where there is loads beautiful wool. I have designed a couple of new hats I want to crochet. Daughter from Oz keeps me supplied in fingerless mittens. She is making some dragon ones for me at the moment!

So my bed heated throw will go into the front room (for the moment) because yesterday the front room throw overheated badly suddenly, nearly burnt me with the sudden heat. No smell or anything, it was only a year old, so turned it off quick. I was going to bin it, but then I realised if I cut the electric leads off, it was stiff enough to make a warm igloo for the cat. Popeye usually literally wraps himself in the orange fur fleece I have. That’s another thing I could get from the mills today, a nice new furry fleece for him. But he will probably prefer my old stuff that has my ‘smell/scent’ to it.

So a busy day today.

Have fun. Take care. Check all electric blankets and throws. Bin them if you are unsure and invest in new ones. There are some reasonably priced electric throws in Argos at the moment, but they can sell out quickly nearer Christmas, and you can then end up waiting for the following year’s autumn before you can get some more.

I am going to have fun today spending. Christmas will be early for me!!! :)

And then I am going to have to save my pennies all over again!!!

What powers your central heating?

Reactions: gennepher

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think @SaskiaKC needs more of a challenge for emoticons. Everything I've thrown her way has been dealt with easily. So try this one for size:

A little man dressed in red sitting on a yellow bicycle holding a green balloon whistling Dixie :)
My money is on saschiakc finding just this!!!

I only just saw this, now, as I'm about to fall asleep. I will take up this challenge in the morning! Can't wait! :D

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What powers your central heating?
Gas.
Why?
It usually is gas in this country, unless you are a bit inaccessible to gas power supply, and then you might have oil fired central heating. But then you have a huge oil tank in your back garden and you have pay a whopping chunk of money in one go to get it filled. I lived in one place like that. And my sewerage was the same. It was too remote, so I had to pay for that myself as well.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning folks and happy Friday from the future that is European Time and yet still quite dark outside.

The wonder wheel of let’s have a feast on our final evening together here in Bordeaux managed to issue an over the horizon 5.1 this am.

Yesterday was a bus and tram trip up to the Basilica of St Michael and a climb up the 114 m tower and then a wander round the ancient quarter of saint-Michael. You can get a one hour transport ticket for just €1.70 that can be used on both tram and bus as long as any transfer takes place within the allotted hour.

Dinner menu last night was fathers favourite food which my sister and I went foraging for and produced, helped by my brother in law who is a dab hand at the outdoor plancha.

Airport later this morning and then a flight back to Birmingham followed by car back to the dark and dangerous north. Hope it’s still there.

Have a great day in you can, hugs for the weary and aching.

upload_2019-10-4_7-27-47.jpeg

upload_2019-10-4_7-29-25.jpeg

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My laptop is hiding in a cupboard and waiting too. I have booked a slot in my diary for Wetherspoons for the day where I can update it, and where I can have unlimited coffee (all day) for the price of one coffee. And there is free excellent wi fi, and table number 13 is right by an electric wall socket...

Excellent - as Sam Spade would have said, “the stuff that dreams are made of”.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 5.3 for me today. I think right now is best compared to being promoted to first team opener several leagues higher. Much tougher opposition so skills and "ticker" tested. Plenty of coaching manuals and this is how I do it from others to confuse me. Wise old pro says listen young 'un, you are up against serious oppo armed with a new ball. Runs at the top of the order are worth more than the easy ones against the pie throwers. Son. DIL and 2 granddaughters coming today and all 5 grandchildren here for the first time ever Sunday so God has blessed us greatly. Enjoy your day all. @gennepher enjoy the shopping and Weatherspoons when you go. @dunelm lovely photos, safe journey and wherever your own definition of The North is, yer man says we will all have sunny uplands evermore.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm thinking we could do something collectively re putting together a petition.
I'm not sure the LCHF or other dietary management of type 2 has gathered sufficient momentum (yet) to make a petition effective what we need is to raise awareness of T2 diabetes...what it is and how it can be managed...we hear the odd individual success story on remission but not enough...I think we should push for solid research into dietary control combined with BG testing and a fair hearing particularly from our HCP's...many assume T2 diabetics are lazy & obese that they bring this on themselves until we dispel that myth I believe a petition as detailed is unlikely to be successful at this stage we need more groundwork.

Reactions: Debandez and jjraak

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Airport later this morning and then a flight back to Birmingham followed by car back to the dark and dangerous north. Hope it’s still there.
Which car or dangerous north? :)

Loved the pictures, I do so like France. Have a good journey.

Morning all. 5.3 for me today. I think right now is best compared to being promoted to first team opener several leagues higher. Much tougher opposition so skills and "ticker" tested. Plenty of coaching manuals and this is how I do it from others to confuse me. Wise old pro says listen young 'un, you are up against serious oppo armed with a new ball. Runs at the top of the order are worth more than the easy ones against the pie throwers. Son. DIL and 2 granddaughters coming today and all 5 grandchildren here for the first time ever Sunday so God has blessed us greatly. Enjoy your day all. @gennepher enjoy the shopping and Weatherspoons when you go. @dunelm lovely photos, safe journey and wherever your own definition of The North is, yer man says we will all have sunny uplands evermore.

Enjoy the weekend with your family, family time is a thing to be treasured and indeed a blessing.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen, in the words of the fab four " you say hello and I say goodbye, goodbye "
5.3 this morning and must go , motorbike stuff

Have a good day folks remember smile at a stranger, what can be more stranger than random smiling.