What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Sorry late on parade but enjoyed reading all the posts. 6.3 nothing to add or take away. Fish on the menu tonight, we’ll see.
Interesting convo re heating. No piped gas in my village so its oil fired radiators rarely set above 20c. We also have an open chimney and burn smoke free coal, seasoned logs and peat briquettes (from Ireland) to get it going. We dont light that often mainly if we have all the family round or if its particularly cold. I grew up in Ireland with only heat source was one open fire. In the mornings there were often ice on the inside panes of my bedroom windows. But yes central heating is very drying.glad @gennepher you seem to have found a way that works...I love a wool rug bet there will be some at the mill you’re going to today! @OldButBold have a restful weekend reading. @Debandez I am doubtful the present incumbent of No 10 gives a fig about anything that might be good for anyone..who knows who will be there 14 Nov...lets just keep the flame alive! @SaskiaKC queen of the emoticons...very very entertaining. @ianpspurs you have a lovely weekend ahead with the family enjoy every moment.thanks for Forever Young. Best wishes to all whatever your plans.
Stay well, stay safe.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There have been times and a few broken ribs :( what a song writer that Mr Dylan.
Just playing Billy (main theme from Pat Garrett ...) hauntingly poignant. . Miley Cyrus has an awesome version of you're gonna make me lonesome when you go. Musical talent envy for you guys but full of admiration for your talent. One of the most amazing moments ever came hearing a 6th former sing Get here anyway you can whilst rehearsing for a concert

Last edited:

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Probably beween 68 and 72 (which are recommended lows and highs nowadays, or maybe down below 60 at night ... ) 20 to 22C I think. The fuel was natural gas with a furnace in the basement (where most of them are). The heating system was a forced-air one, through duct-work from the furnace to vents in the walls of the rooms. No boiler, no radiators, so presumably no water vapor. I wish we had had radiators as the steam radiant heat was said to be much healthier. But that was mostly in older houses built before central air-conditioning.
Hi there @SaskiaKC As the "forced" warm air passed through imperfect ducting and external cavity walls, moisture may have been released, causing higher humidity, hence possible bronchitis. Only if the ducting was perfect and passed through internal walls would this be avoided. Personal note: before we had central heating we had roaring coal fires in traditional grates. No moisture issues as the fires drew any moisture up the chimneys! Now there IS damp in the old Welsh house, as mother keeps the gas central heating on 17 C ( 63 F), too low.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC your banjo music and youtube led me here (I do know the song well) Someone must be chopping onions, eyes seem to be inexplicably watering:angelic:

Thank you for that link. That is a beautiful song. I don't think I've ever heard it before.

I did come across a link to a banjo rendition of Yellow Rose of Texas but didn't post it here for fear of causing eyes to water. I can however do so if you or others would like. I found other renditions of Dixie but as soon as I heard the first few bars of this one I thought it sounded genuine ... like the way a soldier might have played it.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I won't even mention the local weather other than to say it's ridiculous ...

I once rented a room in a 1920s house that had fireplaces even in the bedrooms as well as steam radiators. And a HUGE coal furnace in the basement that had been converted to gas. It even had a back stairs for carrying coal, leading from the back porch to the second (read first ;)) floor that was obviously no longer used (and the walls apparently not repainted since the conversion from coal). It was an amazing house, in west Alabama. Coal-mining country with coal barges on the river.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 this morning. Been awol for a few days, not feeling quite right and I can’t put my finger on it, I know the weather affects my mood quite bad sometimes so it maybe that. Carriage for the train is progressing well, just the bottom and wheels to make now.
5CCC1171-10D0-42E7-B1FC-CC9DB38A7955.jpeg 07E16DFF-A1D4-4F66-BE7F-FCFE1744659A.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sympathize with the sensitivities to fuel fires. I have never been around coal fires (well, I may have seen one once -- not certain); and while I love wood fires I don't think I could live with one. Kerosene heaters indoors and wood fires outdoors are very hard on my lungs and nose and ears. It's a pity, because I do love a good wood fire, but I've never been around one for more than about an hour at a time. They say "man is born to trouble as the sparks fly upward" -- well, I love watching the sparks flying and the flames leaping up; the trouble is my nose can't process what my eyes drink in!

I used to love toasting my toes by an open fire!!!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone up for a little friendly competition? To see who can last the longest on the least amount of sleep? I was up 'til after 4 this morning and awake again about 6 (and glad to awaken as I was having a horrible nightmare!). I had planned to Uber to a different grocery store today, just for the variety, but I will wait 'til next week when I can enjoy it after a (hopefully) good night's sleep. I expect I'll crash hard sometime after breakfast or this afternoon.

Anyone else suffering from lack of sleep last night? I'm here to commiserate, laugh, whatever ... unless I'm the first to crash ...
t2261.gif

t2239.gif

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.5 this morning. Been awol for a few days, not feeling quite right and I can’t put my finger on it, I know the weather affects my mood quite bad sometimes so it maybe that. Carriage for the train is progressing well, just the bottom and wheels to make now.
View attachment 36009 View attachment 36011

Amazing! Thank you for posting those pics. :)

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone else suffering from lack of sleep last night? I'm here to commiserate, laugh, whatever ... unless I'm the first to crash ...
t2261.gif

t2239.gif
Me!!!!! I recently been going to bed around an hour later than my normal, so crawled into bed about midnight last night, laid there for 4 hours wide-a-bloody-wake. But I have to admit to going back to sleep after my 7am meds, another thing that’s becoming a bit to regular recently. It just seems my sleep pattern is out the window once more, least I don’t have to work, or cook or anything I can sleep when I need and do stuff when I want.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday November 14th is world diabetes day.

I'm thinking we could do something collectively re putting together a petition. Handing it in to 10 downing street! No idea if I could get this off the ground or how successful it would be but it would certainly raise awareness.

Petition to
1) offer prediabetics and diabetics lchf advice
2) dont offer hclf advice
3) testing kits to be available on prescriptions

@jjraak as you are the man when I comes to IT, have you any ideas?

Anyone else any ideas? @HarryBeau what do you think?

I'm.on a few diabetes forums, then there is Twitter etc we could do this I'm sure of it.

Nice idea, @Debandez

and pretty appropriate.
appreciate it may not get too far, BUT if we made it a YEARLY event, maybe.
as in " last year we got X numbers to sign..lets see if we can beat it, this year.." type of thing

It's not a one off illness, the rates increasing, awareness is coming slowly of other options for treatment
so perhaps the fight for our RIGHT to better health care should take the same time format.

But do agree with @HarryBeau ..don't expect too much to happen straight off.
(the ladies fighting for their pension rights shows that is pretty true, but they never gave up trying)

and @OldButBold , has probably got the right tool to make the petition work.

and on that note, Debs..honoured as i am by your praise of my tech skills, it is just me giving things a go,
that get me even close to being skillful.
i think @OldButBold , would be a much better option for detailed up to date info on all things tech., imho.

edit.
it does come to mind, that those in surgery COULD have a diabetes day coffee morning akin to macmillans
(obv on a much smaller scale)
Coffee and CREAM.., Lettuce wrapped meat, Avocado and scrambled eggs,..greek yoghurt and real fruit...
mmh a few ideas for starters
after all the WHAT CAN I EAT NOW.:***:...IS the mating call of the newly diagnosed,
maybe this could be a good opportunity to show there IS other things to eat that isn't carb loaded cereals.?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher , hugs for the sore eyes, win for the intrepid explorer attire
and liking the open source upgrade wetherspoons styleee :D

@SaskiaKC ..loving the KC claw avatar..and cheers for the music..and hugs on a poor nights sleep

liking the snaps @dunelm ..safe trip back..sure the north is still there..was on the news..
But the car,,not so sure...:sorry:.....;)

@ianpspurs ..every days brings new joy and challenges it seems
nice outlook on it, sir.
Enjoy the time with the grandkids etc.
if it helps..think how Poch feels..:***: ;)

@OldButBold ..ditto on the book reading..currently trawling on line books
i few ago i couldn't be bothered ...nothing i wanted to read, now almost a dozen books i'm looking forward to reading..:)

@True Blue ..nice and respectful, mate.
it is after all not our day, but the families, so less fuss,, is probably the respectful thing to do
hope the day goes smoothly....and yeah i do think many lives nowadays are just one big online blog, births wedding & deaths included...it's a very open world for many, it seems..( privacy seems a very old fashioned thing to hold dear :sorry: )

@Fndwheelie ..hugs also for the erratic sleep pattern, but scores are good and beading really taking shape.

@PenguinMum ..still a good score, and fish on friday should make tomorrows even better..:)

a good day to all.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher , hugs for the sore eyes, win for the intrepid explorer attire
and liking the open source upgrade wetherspoons styleee :D

@SaskiaKC ..loving the KC claw avatar..and cheers for the music..and hugs on a poor nights sleep

liking the snaps @dunelm ..safe trip back..sure the north is still there..was on the news..
But the car,,not so sure...:sorry:.....;)

@ianpspurs ..every days brings new joy and challenges it seems
nice outlook on it, sir.
Enjoy the time with the grandkids etc.
if it helps..think how Poch feels..:***: ;)

@OldButBold ..ditto on the book reading..currently trawling on line books
i few ago i couldn't be bothered ...nothing i wanted to read, now almost a dozen books i'm looking forward to reading..:)

@True Blue ..nice and respectful, mate.
it is after all not our day, but the families, so less fuss,, is probably the respectful thing to do
hope the day goes smoothly....and yeah i do think many lives nowadays are just one big online blog, births wedding & deaths included...it's a very open world for many, it seems..( privacy seems a very old fashioned thing to hold dear :sorry: )

@Fndwheelie ..hugs also for the erratic sleep pattern, but scores are good and beading really taking shape.

@PenguinMum ..still a good score, and fish on friday should make tomorrows even better..:)

a good day to all.
Could be way off and apologies if I am but ..... I sense some understandable rawness there hence the hug. Sunlight is the best disinfectant and you are definitely on the side of the angels so stick around and we'll chase this down together. (Username has Spurs but cricket is in my DNA.)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A pleasing 5.3 this am. Mind that was after about an hour up and about...( How could I forget :rolleyes:)

Yesterday, we went Chinatown, really nice day, me n Steph.
Didn't check bloods, by time I got home it didn't seem worth it, hours after eating.

Did have a few beers, to end the day.
We plan to make it a monthly meet up, nice to play catch up, seems odd not chatting face to face everyday..

So here are some gratuitous pics to share.
(@SaskiaKC ..a little taste of London life.;))

Chinatown & food (duck noodle soup, chilli oil, and salt n pepper ribs with chilli n garlic)
IMG_20191003_153531~01.jpg

IMG_20191003_163532~01.jpg

IMG_20191003_164901~01.jpg

And the journey back...Mmhh
IMG_20191003_173439~01.jpg

And either this little guy is Lost... OR as is common, he's just waiting for the next train to be less full...:D

IMG_20191003_175421.jpg

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jjraak thanks for the shout out. Last night sounds great as are the pics. OH was in London last night and I think it was the Northern line wasnt working and it was utter chaos everywhere. Pssst....dont tell Ian but he was at Arsenal.;) You have given me the encouragement I need to try Oriental food. We have a nice Thai near us. Lovely idea to make “you and Steph time” monthly ..otherwise time just drifts. Have a great weekend.

Reactions: ianpspurs

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SaskiaKC hugs for the poor sleep last night. I am no good at coping if I dont have enough sleep. I really hope you and the KC are having an afternoon slumber.

Reactions: Cumberland