What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi just in after a day out with two old friends in Greater London @gennepher Popeye should be imortalised in a movie...The life and times of Popeye and his Forebears...what a character :cat: QUOTE]

Sounds like you had a good day.

Yes, maybe I could write a book though. I can still remember enough to fill a book, and in the absence of early impromptu photos or opportunity photos that a smartphone can give us this day, I can draw a picture. But I do have plenty of print/paper photos. I had an SLR then.

You have given me an idea for a project :)

Reactions: SaskiaKC and DJC3

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenguinMum
I made a mess of my reply to you.
It put my reply inside your quote and wouldn't let me take it out however many times I tried to edit it!!!

So here is my reply again!!!

Sounds like you had a good day.

Yes, maybe I could write a book though. I can still remember enough to fill a book, and in the absence of early impromptu photos or opportunity photos that a smartphone can give us this day, I can draw a picture. But I do have plenty of print/paper photos. I had an SLR then.

You have given me an idea for a project :)

Reactions: SaskiaKC and DJC3

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She’s now beating herself up because she thinks she should have done it sooner - not waited so long to make the decision while poor Cat was getting more and more stressed.
She’s babysitting Dennis for a couple of days soon so I hope that helps to fill a furry gap in her heart.

It is always hard to know these things. Tell your daughter to be kind to herself.
Hugs for her.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning to you @Muddy Cyclist - nice fbg. Mine was 5.2 - how trustworthy that is one can debate for some time. Much more obvious is that it is not worth the 3.30 waking. 10 gms carb and massive calorie deficit from yesterday. Tempting to blame some of the chemicals being pumped into me but in truth going too low carb has done this from day 1. Doesn't help that so much of the LCHF playbook is about as appealing to me as deep fried Patagonian Warble flies with cow pats. Quite liken tea though. Good day to remember Jeremiah 29.11 Have a good day folks.

We can only do our best at any point of time with what life throws at us. And this is what you are doing. So this makes you a winner in my eyes.

Tea is good!!!!!
Always time for a cuppa!

cl_l

I can't find a smiley for a cuppa!

Reactions: DJC3 and mojo37

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She’s now beating herself up because she thinks she should have done it sooner
She mustn't do that DJC it was right to try to make it work...for her and Cat...I do hope she can manage to maintain some contact again I would say a very difficult & brave decision

Reactions: DJC3 and gennepher

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We can only do our best at any point of time with what life throws at us. And this is what you are doing. So this makes you a winner in my eyes.
Thank you for the kind words but .... Doing my best doesn't cut it for me. "Winning," "achieving" doing things "correctly" but to a recognisably good/high level is always what I want. If my best doesn't meet those standards I need to improve my best asap. I will watch football tonight and rugby on Saturday hoping every one of the Spurs and England players has that same desire and would be bitterly disappointed if they don't/ didn't. Just the way I am but thanks.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...a better nights sleep last night...it's so difficult to get back to a regular pattern after the late night and early morning arrivals home during the last couple of weeks...slowly easing myself back into a routine with sleep & food...its been carb overload at full speed recently...Taking Georgia home this morning...then back to try to catch up with things here...another mountain of paperwork waiting for me and house to be put back in order (amazing how one little person can create such havoc)...woke to a 6.8

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was very good yesterday, managed a two-mile walk, mowed the rear lawns, and only had a steak and some cabbage for dinner at 6pm :angelic:

FBG this morning at 0600 (12 hour fast)... 6.2 :arghh:

Think I'll go back to crumpets ;)
You did the 2 mile walk, mowed the rear lawns and managed a 12 hour fast so all good. Several people have commented that their fbg lags a day - makes sense - so #crumpetgate may have hit the meter today and yesterday's fine work might be along tomorrow.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning from the dark, dangerous and so far extremely quiet north.

The wonder wheel of Spring cleaning at the dark side of the calendar (a Pink Floyd moment) kicked out a 4.3 this am

We have found a charity called weeecharity.co.uk that recycles electrical stuff, especially computers. They also guarantee to carry out a hard drive data wipe although I have done that. So far we have six laptops, a large monitor, an Apple Extreme hub, an HP printer used but in it’s box and 10 mobile phones. Since retiring they have sat in our attic but now that Which magazine pointed us at this charity, we are sending them their way (they will collect).

Squashes abound at this time of year so last night was an acorn squash, halved top to bottom, roasted and then filled with a bacon, onion, cheese quiche mix. Also good stuffed with some cauliflower mash, topped with cheese and shoved under the grill.

Have a great day if you can, Spring Clean on the (almost) opposite side of the calendar if you can’t; it’s like buying Easter eggs in the January sales.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: trick60

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Couldn't find anything about 12 hours but did find this
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ing-6-hour-delay-in-blood-sugar-spikes.88727/

I'll expect a 5 tomorrow :)

Interesting looking in and discussion.
Thanks.

Yup a 5 is on the cards for you tomorrow

upload_2019-10-22_7-47-7.gif

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.2 this morning. I think I didn't wash my hands properly but didn't want to waste a test strip testing again because 6.2 isn't really that bad - especially after being ill. Did a test 2hrs after breakfast and it was 6.6 which I am really pleased with.

Today is first day of half term holiday. Am having a full day of admin to get absolutely up to date. Have scheduled Thursday as another admin day but the rest of the week we are out and about with doggies and then doggies and grandchildren.

We bought our 13 year old chocolate labrador when he was 10 months old from a lady who found him much too strong to cope with. She rings every year to check on how he is doing. She really did love him but he was so big and strong and boisterous. She loves to hear all the places he visits and all his stays in hotels. She thanked us for giving him a lovely life. - which was so nice. We are actually really lucky to have him as he has turned out to be a lovely gentle and affectionate dog, even though he is so stubborn and still as strong as an ox.
That is a lovely tale re your dog I bought a lab when my kids were a lot younger and found her too much for everything else that was happening in my life at the time and eventually had her rehomed . Always felt a bit guilty but she when to a 2 parent home with 3 active teenagers and they managed far better than I did . Which of course meant the dog had a better life too .

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.0 this morning. Very happy with that. All day yesterday numbers were lurking in the low 4s - even though I spent most of the day glued to my computer doing admin.

Unfortunately, I found more admin to do than I had bargained for - but hopefully I will be able to fit it all in.

Plans changed suddenly yesterday when the hospital rang to offer husband a scan on the trapped nerve in his elbow today at 9.30am as they had a cancellation. So he is off to the hospital shortly and I have unexpectedly some more admin time.

Then hopefully he is back in time for our lunch at The Twenty Church Wardens and then we will do our planned morning walk at Oxburgh Hall or Gooderstone Water Gardens in the afternoon.

So great to get a bit more admin done and still have a lovely day out.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.0 this morning. Very happy with that. All day yesterday numbers were lurking in the low 4s - even though I spent most of the day glued to my computer doing admin.

Unfortunately, I found more admin to do than I had bargained for - but hopefully I will be able to fit it all in.

Plans changed suddenly yesterday when the hospital rang to offer husband a scan on the trapped nerve in his elbow today at 9.30am as they had a cancellation. So he is off to the hospital shortly and I have unexpectedly some more admin time.

Then hopefully he is back in time for our lunch at The Twenty Church Wardens and then we will do our planned morning walk at Oxburgh Hall or Gooderstone Water Gardens in the afternoon.

So great to get a bit more admin done and still have a lovely day out.
Hope Mr @Krystyna23040 has a postive outcome from the hospital and the walk and meal go well. Oh, just looked up the 20 Church Wardens.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. The KittenCat will occasionally eat Sheba, and Iams when I can find it (not at our grocery store).
I must look for cat yogurt. I've never heard of that before.
The KittenCat once got a UTI about the time I was letting her drink a little milk and eat cheese so she no longer gets dairy products. Thankfully she loves just about any meat I buy -- including pork ribs (she only gets a teeny bit of that).
I have never tried her on corned beef.
I love the way she reaches out to grab my hand with a paw. Fortunately she always keeps her claws sheathed! The MasCat didn't bother with such niceties -- she either grabbed with claws extended or just lunged with mouth wide open!
Whenever I put food in the KittenCat's dish she thanks me by rubbing her head against my hand. I love this.

This is what we have that passes for cat yoghurt here...
There are others, but this is on Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/cat-yoghurt/s?k=cat+yoghurt

I did look at Amazon.com but all I can find is some that originates from Japan.

Don’t know is that is any help.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what we have that passes for cat yoghurt here...
There are others, but this is on Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/cat-yoghurt/s?k=cat+yoghurt

I did look at Amazon.com but all I can find is some that originates from Japan.

Don’t know is that is any help.
Fascinated by the variety in Popeye’s and KC’s diet. My two have Whiskas dried tuna biscuits and tinned tuna and and though I have tried fish or chicken or any meat its a firm No! Our old cat loved custard which we only discovered when we left some in kitchen before clearing up. We once found him in the into sink licking the ice cream bowls. He also liked a turkey dinner with gravy at Christmas but refused chicken.

Reactions: HarryBeau and DJC3