What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a fabulous day, sunshine, crisp and muddy, just as I like it. Managed a 3 hour MTB ride and surprisingly even found some ice and frost in the valleys, fed Dracula on my return and a 5.9 given, why? I always feel it should go down with all the effort.

@jjraak great pictures again, sorry you took a fall, hope more damage to pride than person I trust it won't slow down your sightseeing.

What terrible tales about Supermarkets and working dogs, seems some serious staff retraining needs to be done.

I now need to start doing some sketching, picked up a commission for a Watercolour Sea Scape, don't like the photographs they sent so have to find a way to keep customer happy and create a painting I also like.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak I'm glad you didn't break anything. Hopefully a day of sun and salt water has helped. I hope Lauren is feeling all better now too.

@Muddy Cyclist your ride sounds wonderful, despite the subsequent BG number.

@trick60 it is Monday and the sun is shining and I feel I should be getting up and out and doing something but I don't yet know what. Bed-making is out because the KittenCat has gone back to bed, yay! Maybe I will go shopping for some cat food and socks and some ham for NYD.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak hope you and Lauren are both feeling better. I would expect your bruises to be stiff for a few days, bathing in sea water might help. Thank goodness nothing was broken other than pride. Have another great day in Paradise.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak I'm glad you didn't break anything. Hopefully a day of sun and salt water has helped. I hope Lauren is feeling all better now too.

@trick60 it is Monday and the sun is shining and I feel I should be getting up and out and doing something but I don't yet know what. Bed-making is out because the KittenCat has gone back to bed, yay! Maybe I will go shopping for some cat food and socks and some ham for NYD.
I am taking a leaf out of the KC’s book and am resting with my Daisy rug on the sofa. Had a very bad night’s sleep thinking about the boys leaving today. No 2 son left early after a bad nights sleep to go back to work. No 1 son again after a bad night’s sleep was quite unwell with heavy cold and he is now at the airport. I think it will be an early night all round for us. It will be nice to get things back to normal.

Reactions: jjraak and trick60

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am taking a leaf out of the KC’s book and am resting with my Daisy rug on the sofa. Had a very bad night’s sleep thinking about the boys leaving today. No 2 son left early after a bad nights sleep to go back to work. No 1 son again after a bad night’s sleep was quite unwell with heavy cold and he is now at the airport. I think it will be an early night all round for us. It will be nice to get things back to normal.
Edit: hope you and the KC are well. Hugs and purrs.

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs I feel I can identify somewhat with your food frustrations. In a way I wish I plug myself into a diagnostic meter, like my old car, and get readings on all my organs. But the resultant graph would probably look more like Pollock or Picasso than anything I could actually identify!

I have often said that living life is like riding a horse --
On horseback I am always aware of how I move my left calf affects how the horse moves his off hind (right hind), how flexing my right little finger affects the flexing of his neck, etc., and how my breathing affects his impulsion (or lack of!). But at least while riding you're not plugged into any machines, and although you're aware of every single muscle you're not having to stare at a graph.
I would seriously just rather get out and gallop and take each obstacle in stride as it appears, with no thought for the footing on the other side, but years of discipline have made it very hard for me to forget about counting strides and judging approaches and adjusting every little strap and buckle and nail hoping to match an arbitrarily set "goal" next time out.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I am with you in spirit. Hugs and purrs ...

t15302.gif
t09159.gif
t15302.gif

Reactions: trick60

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late morning all. Woke to a better 5.4 this morning. Yesterday I forgot to post but had a stonking 7.1 for no apparent reason. Didn’t eat til 14:30 by which time it was still 6.7 didn’t bother testing after that.
Just finished reading posts about Sainsbury’s - really terrible @gennepher I am feeling cantankerous on your behalf now.
Read a few posts on inulin - I use it for low carb ‘Bounty bars’ which I love. I don’t get on with Erythritol so I like these, as inulin provides the only sweetness. They look a bit messy but taste great, straight out of the fridge so you get that lovely chocolate snap.
I also tried the pancake/ crumpet @gennepher and @Krystyna23040 and agree, quick, easy and satisfying. I had one with a couple of rashers of streaky bacon
View attachment 37479
These look absolutely delicious - are they easy to make?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These look absolutely delicious - are they easy to make?

Yes, really easy. Can’t find original website but this is the recipe:

100g desiccated coconut
100g coconut cream (room temperature)
100g 85% or above dark chocolate (melted)
60g coconut oil (melted)
40g inulin
2 tsp vanilla essence

CREATE IT:
Mix desiccated coconut, coconut cream, melted coconut oil and vanilla in a large bowl.
Once combined gently add the inulin in small amounts while mixing.
Place the mixture on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
Spread the mixture evenly until around 1cm thick
Place in the freezer for 1 hour to allow it to set.
Remove from the freezer and chop into 25 chunks then place back in the freezer until fully frozen.
Once frozen remove from the freezer and dip in melted dark chocolate until full coated then place back on the tray.
Place in the flat in the fridge and allow to set then devour.

I don’t bother with the freezer malarkey, I brush melted chocolate into silicone cake bar moulds, and when it’s set I press the coconut mixture in and brush more chocolate on top. Can be put together in 10-15 mins.

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Woke early 6.15 thought about getting up, so tested.
7.5 what is going on?
Went back to bed in a bit of a huff.
Didn't think I slept , but next time I got up was 9 30.
BG 6.3 That's better. But having decided I won't eat if it's over 6 - No breakfast for me. This could lead to more weight loss. Am assuming its the late dinner and single macaroon that has caused the high readings. Will be much easier once we get back to normal eating. Hopefully morning readings will come down then.
Everyone have a peaceful day.

Gave a hug, but agree with the normal eating sentiment, there is too much temptation out there at the moment for a person to cope with.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

We are very lucky to have this little gem of Cannock Chase right on our doorstep. It's an area of 25 square miles of protected heathland, ancient oak woods and working pine forest. Classed as an Area Of Outstanding NAtural Beauty and less than 5 min cycle along bridleways that follow Rising Brook a mill race stream for a Slitting Mill that no longer exists. A couple of pictures I took on today's bike ride on phone camera so just to give a taste of the countryside around me.....

IMG_2365.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: trick60 and DJC3

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, really easy. Can’t find original website but this is the recipe:

100g desiccated coconut
100g coconut cream (room temperature)
100g 85% or above dark chocolate (melted)
60g coconut oil (melted)
40g inulin
2 tsp vanilla essence

CREATE IT:
Mix desiccated coconut, coconut cream, melted coconut oil and vanilla in a large bowl.
Once combined gently add the inulin in small amounts while mixing.
Place the mixture on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
Spread the mixture evenly until around 1cm thick
Place in the freezer for 1 hour to allow it to set.
Remove from the freezer and chop into 25 chunks then place back in the freezer until fully frozen.
Once frozen remove from the freezer and dip in melted dark chocolate until full coated then place back on the tray.
Place in the flat in the fridge and allow to set then devour.

I don’t bother with the freezer malarkey, I brush melted chocolate into silicone cake bar moulds, and when it’s set I press the coconut mixture in and brush more chocolate on top. Can be put together in 10-15 mins.
Thank you for this recipe - it does look easy, and quick to do.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a lovely walk around Sheringham Park. Lovely and sunny but quite a cold wind coming off the North Sea. The sunlight through the trees was truly stunning.

As usual I had packed the doggies lunch but forgotten to pack some 100% chocolate for mine as they usually have only carby stuff in the cafe. However, today they had mini babybel cheese - although not my favourite cheese I was so pleased that I could actually buy something low carb in the cafe.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are very lucky to have this little gem of Cannock Chase right on our doorstep. It's an area of 25 square miles of protected heathland, ancient oak woods and working pine forest. Classed as an Area Of Outstanding NAtural Beauty and less than 5 min cycle along bridleways that follow Rising Brook a mill race stream for a Slitting Mill that no longer exists. A couple of pictures I took on today's bike ride on phone camera so just to give a taste of the countryside around me.....

View attachment 37490

Looks stunning!

Reactions: gennepher

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 37490

What lovely scenery! :) Surprisingly it looks a lot like the countryside near the little town I'm hoping to move to, and like the countryside near where I grew up. The taller pines(?) look to be a different variety than the ones here (mostly loblolly and longleaf, I think), but the little ones could just as well be right beside some trails I have ridden.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 37490
I bet it did you a power of good getting out on your bike today and such lovely surroundings. We have about 8 Scotch pines on rhe periphary of our house which have been there a very long time and a few ancient oaks. Trees are wonderful.

Reactions: ianpspurs

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: supermarkets: it isn't just Sainsbury's and Waitrose. I am getting seriously disgusted with Publix. Today just took the cake (literally, in one instance).

Publix has started offering specials that customers can take advantage of IF the customers have smartphones that have an app that is meant to allow the customer to "clip" a digital coupon for certain items on special.
Many of my elderly neighbors do not have smartphones. They do not have computers of any type. They would not have a clue how to access a website or a digital coupon, or even what an app is. They are intelligent people. They just preceded smartphones and apps.
So once again it is a case of a business favoring younger, wealthier people who have smartphones with unlimited memory for installing apps, while the older, poorer customers -- who really NEED the coupons -- miss out.

And today -- to add insult to injury! -- once again, my Publix had NO GINGERBREAD! They never have gingerbread at Christmastime. They don't even have gingerbread mix! The woman I asked didn't even know what gingerbread IS! (But she is not from around here.)
Never mind that I am not supposed to be eating gingerbread. It is delicious. :D

page7.jpg

But my store does allow service dogs. ;)

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday.

Some concerns re fbg, so must try to temper good input tomorrow.. Quite hungry this morning, so ate well of the buffet..egg pancake and then an egg ommolette….. Some chicken and a little more rice then I anticipated.

So cutting back Sunday onwards.

Once sated, we mounted up and headed south to one of best rated beaches..

In town the traffic busy as usual, but once we hit the highway, traffic trails of dramatically.

Reminded me of a pic of a North Korean highway, all beautifully manicured and picturesque even, but only one solitary horse and cart on it.

This Vietnamese island not to different.

But it does feel nice if a little weird to have so little traffic after the hullabaloo of town.

Beach we hit in 40 mins, with one stop to check where we were, and before I got phone out, local gent, asked if we wanted the beach, and gave directions… Lovely people once again.

Beach lovely.. Busy at entrance way, but thinned out as we walked further away from it.

Found two great sunbeds, and two drinks for three princely sum of £6 all in..bargain.
View attachment 37466

Lauren couldn't resist the swing photo opportunity.

View attachment 37467

And we both had a swim, water nice.. Quite a shallow beach, so a good way out before you could actually swim tho.

Vendors on bikes..(ain't everything here.)

Passing by regularly, offering cooked meats/fish.. bought a nice fresh crunchy Baguette, pork, won ton, some salads and a spicey dark sauce… We shared it.. And I guess it spiked me some, but no way to tell.. ( Decided I would test at AM and end of day… AND if I was back in room 2 hrs after meal.)

So this was a NO.. So can't say it it raised my bgs….but it was blooming delicious..

View attachment 37468

View attachment 37469

A glorious day, then back on the scooter, and off to watch a sunset at our local bar..

Not a 'toucher' as they all want, but with the fishermen in foreground and the light, I think its one of my favs…

View attachment 37470

Dressed and off out to the night market .a huge affairs in town, with Street upon Street of food and goods just beside the river..
Will post up later.

Fbg this am 6.8..high for me but now hopefully going to start trending downwards.

Breakfast done, of to North of Island, long Ish journey down dirt track road to find starfish beach... Named as that's were a colony of star fish live.. So should be a nice photo opportunity if nothing else.

Internet intermittent, But have tried to keep current on thread.
So stay safe all.
if you love someone
Tell them...

Loving the holiday blog. Pics are fantastic. Blood sugars will sort themselves out.