What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum you are a sane and rational woman with much to look forward to. In the name of all that is righteous I implore you you never to agree with me - it will not end well. Turn again Penguinton or you be like
Lol There are many that could not agree with that statement, Mr PM might be at the head of the queue. Quite enjoyed the clip, thanks.

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning/evening folks, a 5.7 on the dodgy dice of testiness. Today is a day of doingness, got to get my posterior into gear and get something accomplished, I’m just not sure what yet.
Have a lovely day all.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol There are many that could not agree with that statement, Mr PM might be at the head of the queue. Quite enjoyed the clip, thanks.
Mr PM may need to think through his reasoning. Since you did him the great honour of plighting your troth and holding fast thereto it is really rather unwise to question your astute judgement and discernment. Best not to mention Chelsea or wear blue for a day or two though.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
30-12-19
Woke early 6.15 thought about getting up, so tested.
7.5 what is going on?
Went back to bed in a bit of a huff.
Didn't think I slept, but next time I got up was 9.30
BG 6.3 That's better. But having decided I won't eat if it's over 6 - No breakfast for me. This could lead to more weight loss. Am assuming its the late dinner and single macaroon that has caused the high readings. Will be much easier once we get back to normal eating. Hopefully morning readings will come down then.

Edited to add date. Lose track without it.
Everyone have a peaceful day.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher that is absolutely dreadful and absolutely understandable that the trauma of the incident has stayed with you. Sainsbury's hasn't learnt anything in the 25 years since your incident. Just before I read your post I read the following in the online Metro:

'A mother says she was left humiliated when a supermarket worker shouted at her and told her to leave for bringing her dog into the shop. Bex Clifton, 36, went to Sainsbury’s in Basingstoke, Hampshire, with emotional support dog Maxxy where she was challenged after 25 minutes of shopping. She said the member of staff said her nine-year-old Jack Russell collie cross was not a real service dog and had to be removed from the store.'

There is too much of this happening at the moment. I will join you as another bl**dy minded cantankerous old lady and have now added Sainsbury's to my list of shops that I will not set foot in again.

Blooming heck @Krystyna23040
I cannot believe that is still happening.
That is absolutely shocking.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher sorry for the store incident and sorry they didnt take the complaint seriously. Thats the real stinker here. I bought an iron at Sainsburys a few months ago and though I noticed all the boxes on the shelf were damaged in the same place I didnt care. The iron overheated, thermostat failed and it took an hour to cool down. Went back and told them that probably that whole batch was dangerous because of damaged box and might have been dropped in a warehouse. They said there was no need to worry because if anyone else comes back they will just refund them. I phoned Customer Service and got an even less interested response. I just hope noone had a fire or serious injury.
These stores need to get their act together.

They just don't care @PenguinMum

That is seriously not good. And it is not the right attitude from the shop or customer service. It is a big safety issue.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke early 6.15 thought about getting up, so tested.
7.5 what is going on?
Went back to bed in a bit of a huff.
Didn't think I slept , but next time I got up was 9 30.
BG 6.3 That's better. But having decided I won't eat if it's over 6 - No breakfast for me. This could lead to more weight loss. Am assuming its the late dinner and single macaroon that has caused the high readings. Will be much easier once we get back to normal eating. Hopefully morning readings will come down then.
Everyone have a peaceful day.
Hug is for eating a macaroon. People shouldn't suffer like that.:angelic:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Almost forgot to post - 5.6 this morning. Sun is shining and we are off to Sheringham Park this morning. Lovely to see the sun as it's been so gloomy and overcast here in the East.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.6 today

it's grey and it's raining but at least it's mild :)

Off out to do some shopping today (hopefully) before the madness of NYE in Scotland ;) we definitely have more visitors in the village to celebrate New Year which is at least as big a celebration as Christmas here and used to be the bigger one.

As for the shopping we need it's mostly stuff like milk and a few veggies, I've already got a good looking bit of pork to roast for lunch on New Year' day. Mr gee and I are hoping to get most of our stuff today particularly since we've promised to take mum shopping and to the bank tomorrow, which will also involve lunch. When we go by car mum usually likes to make a complete adventure of shopping by looking down every aisle of Home Bargains and Lidl :hilarious:

It does make sense when you realise that mum's not so good on her feet now, the rationale goes like this - when she does 'ordinary' shopping trips she goes by bus with her little shopping trolley bag, but, the trip involves a lot more walking and standing about in the Post Office and shops on the High street (and sometimes getting wet and cold). She likes to go by bus because she knows most of the people who use it regularly and gets the latest chat and news plus she believes that if no-one uses the bus they will take the service away (true) ;)
When she gets a trip by car she gets whisked to the shops and has a shopping cart to support her around the shops. She doesn't get wet or cold much and can afford to take her time giving everything a good once over, anything big or heavy goes straight in the car and usually tea and buns or lunch are provided, when she gets home she just has to open the door and click on the kettle for tea whilst we shift her purchases.

Hope your day treats you gently :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

4.6 today

Off out to do some shopping today (hopefully) before the madness of NYE in Scotland ;) we definitely have more visitors in the village to celebrate New Year which is at least as big a celebration as Christmas here and used to be the bigger one.

As for the shopping we need it's mostly stuff like milk and a few veggies, I've already got a good looking bit of pork to roast for lunch on New Year' day. Mr gee and I are hoping to get most of our stuff today particularly since we've promised to take mum shopping and to the bank tomorrow, which will also involve lunch. When we go by car mum usually likes to make a complete adventure of shopping by looking down every aisle of Home Bargains and Lidl :hilarious:

It does make sense when you realise that mum's not so good on her feet now, the rationale goes like this - when she does 'ordinary' shopping trips she goes by bus with her little shopping trolley bag, but, the trip involves a lot more walking and standing about in the Post Office and shops on the High street (and sometimes getting wet and cold). She likes to go by bus because she knows most of the people who use it regularly and gets the latest chat and news plus she believes that if no-one uses the bus they will take the service away (true) ;)
When she gets a trip by car she gets whisked to the shops and has a shopping cart to support her around the shops. She doesn't get wet or cold much and can afford to take her time giving everything a good once over, anything big or heavy goes straight in the car and usually tea and buns or lunch are provided, when she gets home she just has to open the door and click on the kettle for tea whilst we shift her purchases.

As usual a great fbg. Preparations for New Year sound thorough and mum's reasoning as sound as a pound. My 89.995 YO MIL still drives and is planning the events she will demo her spinning for next year - despite being increasingly frail. I am glad you keep posting and bring an air of normality to the thread. Have a great day and hugs to mum for being mum.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@geefull my late MIL used to be the same, loved going to town on the bus and chatting to her pals and also feeling the need to support it. When she couldnt do it anymore it cut off what social life she had. You are marvellous at looking after her, you and Mr Gee. Hope you all have a happy Hogmany. (Not sure I spelt that right ;))

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late morning all. Woke to a better 5.4 this morning. Yesterday I forgot to post but had a stonking 7.1 for no apparent reason. Didn’t eat til 14:30 by which time it was still 6.7 didn’t bother testing after that.
Just finished reading posts about Sainsbury’s - really terrible @gennepher I am feeling cantankerous on your behalf now.
Read a few posts on inulin - I use it for low carb ‘Bounty bars’ which I love. I don’t get on with Erythritol so I like these, as inulin provides the only sweetness. They look a bit messy but taste great, straight out of the fridge so you get that lovely chocolate snap.
I also tried the pancake/ crumpet @gennepher and @Krystyna23040 and agree, quick, easy and satisfying. I had one with a couple of rashers of streaky bacon
IMG_1653.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
O/T but "of a piece" with a few of us fulminating about recent higher fbgs:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ree-met-police-reveals-time-wasting-999-calls
@DJC3 glad fbg doesn't warrant a 999:angelic: Gave a winner but pondered a hug for serious misdemeanours against your palate. Bounty bars and bacon with pancakes (or pancakes at all). What possesses you people?:angelic: Agree about Erithrytol but it can just about be tamed when blitzed into icing sugar and mixed with cinnamon for a dusting on Dr Almond Christmas cookies 0.3gms carb per cookie.
Now these look seriously tempting https://lowcarb-glutenfree.com/prod...ndmade-filled-chocolates-truffles-sugar-free/

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday am fbg

Fbg..6.7… Trading down i hope.

Last night we hit night market.

Fantastic quality of fish, Laurens tells me.

All looked bewilderingly varied and fresh.

Restaurants rammed, but we could have had a seat or two IF in the mood.

IMG_20191228_200353~01.jpg

Screenshot_2019-12-30-09-06-10-264_com.google.android.apps.photos~01.jpg
Screenshot_2019-12-30-09-06-07-178_com.google.android.apps.photos~01.jpg

Screenshot_2019-12-30-09-06-10-264_com.google.android.apps.photos~01.jpg

Back at hotel, bumped into two regular couples,

Pop in to the bar with them for one, as you do..

Red wine for me, trying to balance the holiday spirit with my BG's.

A merry night, and a weird/ROFL moment

As one chap offers up a topic of conversation.

IF you had to select a celebrity to sleep with who would it be…?

A simple game normally, but his version was it had to be the opposite of your usual choice..IE a man with wife, must pick a make celeb..

To get things rolling..(he'd obviously given it some thought) he went first with... Will Smith..

Nice, not an unattractive man, good sense of humour.

And the Main reason..

He thought he'd be a 'Considerate' lover…..

lmfao...full on rib tickler for a good few minutes.

The highlight so far, of the many late night drinks here.

Sunday .

Lauren not so good today..a little sun stroke perhaps.. Decided a dry dusty dirt track and possibly no facilities might not be our best bet today, so struck out South to the beach we hit yesterday.. Fully expected it to be mobbed as it's Sunday.. But a little bit quieter then yesterday surprisingly.

Greeted like a great friend by Ben, beach bar manager.. My old dad's tip of being nice to bar staff, and a little drink for them, pays dividends again.

Beds in prime location, one cold beer for the gent, and a smoothie for the lady, as al Murray might say.

Fiercely hot today. With a decent wind makes just lounging more then acceptable.

Ride over again, busy in town but very little traffic on the main roads.

After the beach we decided to try sunset bar at sunset.

Nicely set up, we hit there just before it got busy

Only fly in the ointment was a real difficulty in getting some salt for the fries..

I got profuse apologies each time for poor service, as they ran away to fetch us

..ketchup…

then chilli…

then mayonnaise..

And we gave up before chips got too cold.

Sunset nice..(missus a fan).. Divided on the music..a chilled tribal techno beat.. not to my liking.. But hey ho she's happy. X

IMG_20191229_174036~01~01.jpg

Back at room, showed and dressed for dinner.

Need s little more protein then I'm getting,. So a BBQ rib shack nearby.

Big rack of ribs, some fries and a few cold beers…just what the doctor ordered.

Lauren had the smaller version..

Decided on an early night, so I wanted to pop in to supermarket get a few beers for the fridge.

5 sets of steps run the width of the supermarket. (Big one)..I jauntily begin to trot up, except I miss my footing, loose my balance and am now tumbling towards the steps, face on in a very non ninja fashion.

I couldn't stop the fall, and hit down in order of bits..knees..ouch..elbow .OUCH..then shoulder..oh ****… Winded, I lay for a moment as I ran the internal diagnostics...legs working, fingers ok,

Anywhere sore ? Most definitely, BUT nothing broken, no cracks or popping noises as I fell...:woot:

Dust myself off… Lauren now over the shock..I tell her it's ok to laugh :hilarious:

As I Curse myself...:banghead:

Bashed knees and scraped elbow.. other wise ok.

(Not sure what caused it..not enough drink to make me fall like that, if I'm honest..no black out, just an accident)

Monday morning.

A not too refreshing sleep, I wake up aching.

Elbow sore and swollen...:meh:
Get up as old as I feel..a little movement and it begins to feel a lot better.

Fbg 7.2… Too little sleep..?

Who knows.

Onward with the day.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday am fbg

A simple game normally, but his version was it had to be the opposite of your usual choice..IE a man with wife, must pick a make celeb..

To get things rolling..(he'd obviously given it some thought) he went first with... Will Smith..

And the Main reason..

Sunday .

Lauren not so good today..a little sun stroke perhaps.. Decided a dry dusty dirt track and possibly no facilities might not be our best bet today, so struck out South to the beach we hit yesterday.. Fully expected it to be mobbed as it's Sunday.. But a little bit quieter then yesterday surprisingly.

Greeted like a great friend by Ben, beach bar manager.. My old dad's tip of being nice to bar staff, and a little drink for them, pays dividends again.

Beds in prime location, one cold beer for the gent, and a smoothie for the lady, as al Murray might say.

Fiercely hot today. With a decent wind makes just lounging more then acceptable.

Only fly in the ointment was a real difficulty in getting some salt for the fries..

I got profuse apologies each time for poor service, as they ran away to fetch us

..ketchup…

then chilli…

then mayonnaise..

Sunset nice..(missus a fan).. Divided on the music..a chilled tribal techno beat.. not to my liking.. But hey ho she's happy. X

View attachment 37477

Decided on an early night, so I wanted to pop in to supermarket get a few beers for the fridge.

5 sets of steps run the width of the supermarket. (Big one)..I jauntily begin to trot up, except I miss my footing, loose my balance and am now tumbling towards the steps, face on in a very non ninja fashion.

I couldn't stop the fallen, and hit down in order of bits..knees..ouch..elbow .OUCH..then shoulder..oh ****… Winded, I lay for a moment as I ran the internal diagnostics...legs working, fingers ok,

Anywhere sore ? Most definitely, BUT nothing broken, no cracks or popping noises as I fell.

Dust myself off… Lauren now over the shock..I tell her it's ok to laugh as I curse myself.

(Not sure what caused it..not enough drink to make me fall like that, if I'm honest..no black out, just an accident)

Monday morning.

Elbow sore, one a little swollen.

Who knows.

Onward with the day.
Hug for fall. Forum travel journo of the year award in the post.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday am fbg

And the Main reason..

Sunday .

..ketchup…

then chilli…

then mayonnaise..

View attachment 37477

I couldn't stop the fallen, and hit down in order of bits..knees..ouch..elbow .OUCH..then shoulder..oh ****… Winded, I lay for a moment as I ran the internal diagnostics...legs working, fingers ok,

Anywhere sore ? Most definitely, BUT nothing broken, no cracks or popping noises as I fell.

Dust myself off… Lauren now over the shock..I tell her it's ok to laugh as I curse myself.

Monday morning.

Elbow sore, one a little swollen.

Who knows.

Onward with the day.

I’m enjoying your holiday saga, sounds wonderful apart from the fall. Glad that nothing is broken. Just shows how quickly a freak accident can change everything in just a second or two. Maybe another day or two relaxing on the beach recuperating then?

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5 sets of steps run the width of the supermarket. (Big one)..I jauntily begin to trot up, except I miss my footing, loose my balance and am now tumbling towards the steps, face on in a very non ninja fashion

Hugs @jjraak
Take care.

A brilliant piece of writing.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

4.6 today

You and Mr gee are wonderful! Your mum is fortunate to have y'all. :) It is a huge treat for me to get out to stores by car and get to walk the aisles with a big shopping cart. To do it with loved ones would be even better. :)
I love the independence of being able to get myself out on my own to visit the local stores within walking distance, but it is great to be taken out by a friend.

FBG a nice low (for me) 6.4 this morning. Some very pretty clouds outside my window are a nice surprise after the 2 a.m. rain and wind. I want to photograph them but I am prevented from getting up out from under this 10-lb. KittenCat! ^. .^