What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 - on the border but the rest of my data gives me a peaceful easy feeling. This diabetes, you can check (it) out but never leave. Still, no need to come over all desperado or be driven to a tequila sunrise tomorrow. @Shas3 great photographic evidence of all your hard work. Have a great day folks - take it easy.

Last edited:

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.0 this morning and it looks like a glorious day ahead :)

@Shas3 that is an impressive weight loss. It's the one thing I'm struggling with, in the year I've been diagnosed I've lost 10kg, which is nothing really considering the changes I made.

Thanks Harrison. Actually the "pre" photo from 2015 is almost 3 years before I was diagnosed in 2018. Between 2015 to 2018, I had lost some weight but I was still overweight (at about 85 Kilos) when I was diagnosed last year. Since diagnosis, I have lost about 9-10 kilos as a combination of everything from Metformin and Forxiga (which initially caused a good weight loss, but created severe problems and I had to stop it), working out and diet changes. I may have changed the diet too drastically in the first few months of diagnosis (low carb and also low fat)… I was almost surviving on salads, which in hindsight was not a good idea.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning peeps.

A great nights sleep and I’m up and active. Or I was but I didn’t post.

5.8 this morning,

it’s weird, many moons ago in the 8 -13 range I would have loved a 5.8.

It was a standing joke between me and diabetic students that the pictures on tester boxes always say 5.8 and we were no where near it.

I’m slightly disappointed but I don’t know why.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Late on report, got very sidetracked early on. Anyway 6.5 at 08.15 so not good. Like @ianpspurs said welcome to the Hotel California. I am in a bit of a downward spiral atm due to upcoming eye injections and stress of house selling. We found the ideal house to move to but its gone. I am usually circumspect about most things but moving house is very testing. The trouble with our home is all the furniture is old (not in a good way!), thrashed by raising two boys and two cats and though its clean and bright a lot of young buyers seem to put a lot of weight on “aspirational presentation” and we dont the pass that test.
@Debandez that was a very positive result from your meeting, hopefully as more come on board the others will be encouraged. @Shas3 thats quite a transformation in those photos and I have no doubt your BG numbers will soon be transformed too.
@Bubbsie sounds like a good evening, funny Harry and his yogurt, we had a cat who loved custard and ice cream, we only let him lick the bowls before they went in the DW.
@dogslife glad you had a special day with your mum. Lovely memories.
Have a great day everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sounds like a good evening, funny Harry and his yogurt, we had a cat who loved custard and ice cream, we only let him lick the bowls before they went in the DW.
I understand the stress of selling your house PM very frustrating...as for Harry we put the yoghurt onto the tin foil keeping the chicken hot...by the time he'd finished it was all over his face & muzzle...reminiscent of when the kids would have a bar of chocolate or ice cream mostly over their faces...there'll be another house right for you...honestly some of these buyers have no vision at all...it'll come right...my only buyer backed out of the sale just before we were due to exchange contracts...I was devastated...so we put it back on the market & four days later there was a scramble for it...it sold for over list price so don't lose hope...every cloud an all that.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All. Late on report, got very sidetracked early on. Anyway 6.5 at 08.15 so not good. Like @ianpspurs said welcome to the Hotel California. I am in a bit of a downward spiral atm due to upcoming eye injections and stress of house selling. We found the ideal house to move to but its gone. I am usually circumspect about most things but moving house is very testing. The trouble with our home is all the furniture is old (not in a good way!), thrashed by raising two boys and two cats and though its clean and bright a lot of young buyers seem to put a lot of weight on “aspirational presentation” and we dont the pass that test.
@Debandez that was a very positive result from your meeting, hopefully as more come on board the others will be encouraged. @Shas3 thats quite a transformation in those photos and I have no doubt your BG numbers will soon be transformed too.
@Bubbsie sounds like a good evening, funny Harry and his yogurt, we had a cat who loved custard and ice cream, we only let him lick the bowls before they went in the DW.
@dogslife glad you had a special day with your mum. Lovely memories.
Have a great day everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

Thanks so much.... I must say my numbers aren’t too bad and my doctor thinks i am doing very well but the whole idea of wanting every measurement to be at ideal range i guess is a bit unrealistic... so I just want to be practical and accept some deviations and stress a bit less. I just bought a book on “Ikigai” the Japanese view on simplifying life, not stressing out and pursuing/enjoying small things. I have not yet started reading but hopefully it will help

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much.... I must say my numbers aren’t too bad and my doctor thinks i am doing very well but the whole idea of wanting every measurement to be at ideal range i guess is a bit unrealistic... so I just want to be practical and accept some deviations and stress a bit less. I just bought a book on “Ikigai” the Japanese view on simplifying life, not stressing out and pursuing/enjoying small things. I have not yet started reading but hopefully it will help

Hopefully. The book sounds interesting. I think I will look for a copy.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenguinMum I agree with you about moving. It certainly is testing, partly because it is to horribly expensive. Last time I learned that movers do not give firm quotes, only estimates, and they charge per hour, not per box or piece of furniture. Friends of mine who moved a few years before I moved here talked about having to "stage" the house for viewers, to the point where they could hardly live in it.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.8 this morning. Was 4.5 last night. Had a very weird day yesterday. Was in the 3s all morning, even though I had breakfast, which felt really horrid as though I was having a hypo. After lunch BS went up to 5 but then dropped into 4s for the rest of the day and at times felt quite shaky.

This diabetes thing is very weird. On another day - eating the same amount of carbs and doing the same amount of exercise - my numbers could easily be in the 5s and 6s.

Which is why I don't obsess about numbers. I obsess about other things in my life, but, not being a machine I can calibrate, I don't obsess about BG. I just try to use the best fuel I can think of at the moment, and I've been realizing that the 80-year-old nutrition lessons my mother learned and taught me are pretty much spot on. :)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
5.7 and a gorgeous sunny cool morning for a little walk. Hope I can avoid the garbage truck!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Saskia oh. My. Gosh. Yes! I grew up in this:
IMG_8366.jpg

Ours was darker blue with a nearly black top. It lived and was driven until I was nearly 30!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks
HbA1C : I use the older units. The one expressed as percent. I was 11.8% when diagnosed and was 6.7% at last count. Non-diabetics would be below 5.7% as I understand. My app which estimates HbA1C based on daily finger prick numbers “estimates” that I should be 6% and how I wish it was true . Usually the lab numbers are a bit higher.

I use the MySugr app and like you I’ve found the lab numbers are higher. There seems to be a few reasons why this could happen, so I try not to worry about it too much.
You’ve made a remarkable improvement though, whichever units you look at. Well done.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Shas3 so sorry, your numbers are good, dont know why my tiny brain thought otherwise...doh!
Thanks @Bubbsie and @SaskiaKC do people really expect me to “stage” the house I wonder...everything is so different these days. Our chairs and sofas bar two are sad and ripped by children and animals but no point in replacing them since I dont know what will fit in the next place. At least when we do find somewhere there wont be much furniture to move...it will all be in the tip...told OH theres a big expensive shopping trip on the cards lol. Maybe I will just do some flower arranging!

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the MySugr app and like you I’ve found the lab numbers are higher. There seems to be a few reasons why this could happen, so I try not to worry about it too much.
You’ve made a remarkable improvement though, whichever units you look at. Well done.

Thanks ....