What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Thanks @PenguinMum. A new era has arrived. It's called digital. Eric is treating me to a new piano. It does everything apart from make tea, dust and clean but it's a start!!! But more expensive than my old piano but a bargain in the sale, £599. I'm very excited. Not picked her up yet but she will be joining us very soon.

I got MrZF a Yamaha full size keybd for Xmas couple of years ago. It fits tidily in his home office. He used to play his great-aunt's baby grand that somehow came to him when his mother broke up the big house to downsize all those decades ago. We've got to decide (HE'S got to decide) to put many many thousands into full overhaul to include new sounding board, or sell it as you did. Meanwhile it sits "in storage" 100 mi from here. You will love yours!!!!!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@zauberflote it is beautiful. Is it a Packard?

This is the first family car I remember -- wish I could post a pic of it but this is its twin. '48 Hudson.

65337469-770-0@2X.png

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks [USER=329049]@Bubbsie
and @SaskiaKC do people really expect me to “stage” the house I wonder...everything is so different these days. Our chairs and sofas bar two are sad and ripped by children and animals but no point in replacing them since I dont know what will fit in the next place. At least when we do find somewhere there wont be much furniture to move...it will all be in the tip...told OH theres a big expensive shopping trip on the cards lol. Maybe I will just do some flower arranging![/USER]

I'd ask the estate agent. :) All I know is my friend got so stressed staging her house -- and then the man who bought it was going to rip out the insides and redo the whole interior so I wondered what the point was. It's not like he needed to see what it looked like furnished.

And I have no idea why the above text is red. :)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Morning All. Late on report, got very sidetracked early on. Anyway 6.5 at 08.15 so not good. Like @ianpspurs said welcome to the Hotel California. I am in a bit of a downward spiral atm due to upcoming eye injections and stress of house selling. We found the ideal house to move to but its gone. I am usually circumspect about most things but moving house is very testing. The trouble with our home is all the furniture is old (not in a good way!), thrashed by raising two boys and two cats and though its clean and bright a lot of young buyers seem to put a lot of weight on “aspirational presentation” and we dont the pass that test.
@Debandez that was a very positive result from your meeting, hopefully as more come on board the others will be encouraged. @Shas3 thats quite a transformation in those photos and I have no doubt your BG numbers will soon be transformed too.
@Bubbsie sounds like a good evening, funny Harry and his yogurt, we had a cat who loved custard and ice cream, we only let him lick the bowls before they went in the DW.
@dogslife glad you had a special day with your mum. Lovely memories.
Have a great day everyone. Stay well, stay safe.
Thank you PenguinMum.:)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Late on report, got very sidetracked early on. Anyway 6.5 at 08.15 so not good. Like @ianpspurs said welcome to the Hotel California. I am in a bit of a downward spiral atm due to upcoming eye injections and stress of house selling. We found the ideal house to move to but its gone. I am usually circumspect about most things but moving house is very testing. The trouble with our home is all the furniture is old (not in a good way!), thrashed by raising two boys and two cats and though its clean and bright a lot of young buyers seem to put a lot of weight on “aspirational presentation” and we dont the pass that test.
. .

Not surprised your fbg is up a bit - there is a lot going on in your life at the moment. I have found that walking is good for stress and bringing bg down. (Easy on lovely days like this but hard to motivate yourself when its grotty out.)
I sympathise with the moving house palaver. We’ve recently gone through the same. I bought some lovely but cheap throws for our tatty old furniture and actually shifted a lot of stuff to the garage and loft and even car boot to give the illusion of spaciousness when people came. It turned out that a developer wanted it - he’s going to pull the whole thing down! ( we have signed a 2 yr contract with him while he gets all the planning and other permissions - cant sell it to anyone else in that period. I hope it goes through or we’re back to square 1 next year)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
bought some lovely but cheap throws for our tatty old furniture
Thats a great idea....upstairs is fine its just the living areas. Good luck to you hope it all goes according to plan. Once you decide to move you dont care who buys though I will miss my kitchen (after all its where I spend most of my waking time!).

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Krystyna23040 I think so many other factors affect a person in general that I can't lay everything at the feet of carbs/exercise. Such a puzzle to figure out! For all we know, the phases of the moon affect BG!
@Shas3 very impressive, great work! I had the same problem with lab HbA1c being WAY higher than my app calculated from the data I gave it. So I bought a home kit. It came out closer to my app number than to the lab. May use a different lab next time, see what happens. US also uses the percentage numbers. Here, pre-D range is 5.7-6.4, so you only have a short distance to go! I hope you can get there if that's your goal.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
6.0 this morning. Would have been 5s had I not felt peckish (rare) at midnight as I was going to bed and finished off some cabbage and a spare pork chop!!!

Yesterday's diabetics meeting at Tesco. RESULT!!! Attended by 2 reps from diabetes.org.uk

I was beginning to lose hope to be honest. Last month I felt I might be having the opposite effect on my fellow diabetics to what I was hoping to achieve. Me going in month after month sprouting about how good low carb was for controlling blood sugars, how it can be effective for weight loss etc etc. I saw the expressions on their faces, I heard their 'but I've got other complications' and it hit me. Its not as cut and dried as I thought it was going to be. These ladies and gents have been diabetic for many years. They are all, apart from one lady overweight, many obese. And many have other health issues. Some very complex. So when I went in yesterday you can imagine my total shock when 2 ladies came up to me to tell me some good news. The first lady who chairs the meetings has made changes to her diet. Swapped potatoes for celeriac (what she can't do with celeriac can fit on a postage stamp). Cut down on the usual carby culprits too and lost 7lb (not massively overweight). But the best news is that she has gone from 45 units twice a day to 25!!!!

Second lady who I noticed had lost quite a bit of weight and looked so happy with herself has gone from 110kg to 88kg! Over 3 stone 4lb lost! Hba1c down from 95 to 54!!! These are long term 'progressive' diabetics. I wrote down their results so I wouldn't forget. My heart was singing. I arrived at 2.30 on the dot and they immediately shared their news with me. They were so excited.

I could see 2 new faces there. This must be the DUK ladies. I've got knickers older than both of them I thought to myself. Let's hear what they have to say. Not a lot. They were there for the cheque. An annual event. £1500 passed over. Both ladies were from the finance dept. Working on how to bring money in. Knew nothing about nutrition although one was diabetic. 20 year old type 1. She does carb count but only for the insulin count. They showed a short 5 minute video. From a small laptop. Nobody could see the words flashing up and we could hardly hear it. 'Can you turn it up' no it was on max! About a shoe shop offering 50% discount. When people got there it was just one shoe on offer. From people who had amputations, diabetics. The info was out of date. 135 a week amputations it said. It's currently around 169. They mentioned a volunteer networking day to be held in Manchester Friday 7th June. Usually about 50 attend. Food provided (that will be interesting). I'm really busy but might be able to squeeze it in. I feel I have to go!

So then the chair spoke to all. I had brought some low carb stuff in. Leaflets. Weekly planners. Food list. Blood sugar monitoring leaflet. I gave everyone a blank weekly planner. everyone will write down what they eat and bring in next month. We are going to look at them together and make some small but hopefully significant changes to help control bs. The lady next to me has lots of health issues. She is currently on 58 units twice a day. Diabetic since 1999. Highest ever insulin now and she is worried as her pen only goes up to 60 units. Her readings in the morning are high. 18 yesterday. I asked what she had for breakfast after that reading. Yoghurt, salted caramel! I asked if she could change this to plain Greek full fat yogurt maybe. One thing I could never change she said!!! And she admitted comfort eating. I felt sad. She has a new 7 week old granddaughter.

I said that each month I can show a short video from DCUK or diet doctor on various things. IR. What makes us hungry. Sugar addiction etc. Chair has a projector so that will be good. Education is key. People seem happy with the suggestion.

I'm.going to share the good news with my surgery.

Happy Thursday everyone.

Wow. You are doing such a service to your community, and I assume it's a labor of true love!!!! That's so wonderful that the Ladies who Lost were able to a) do it and b) share!

Reactions: HarryBeau

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@PenguinMum as Bubbsie said, another house can come along at any moment. And as to selling, someone with vision who wants a house with good bones will snap it up!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I use the MySugr app and like you I’ve found the lab numbers are higher. There seems to be a few reasons why this could happen, so I try not to worry about it too much.
You’ve made a remarkable improvement though, whichever units you look at. Well done.

Are use a different app called Glucose. First it calculates an average blood glucose from the figures you give it and no other data. Then it looks on the chart that the doctors use to estimate HbA1c from average blood glucose. So with my app, anytime I'm not testing is where the numbers could get messed up. Also, every one of my meters could be running in the bottom 15% of its error range all the time every day. <rolling eyes>. They tell me that the blood doesn't lie, which I agree with completely! However, the meters can fib away all day long and get away with it…

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
do people really expect me to “stage” t
OMG PM if you'd seen this place when I bought it you would have screamed...it was dreadful...dirty...the garden was like a swamp it was in need of so much attention but as I looked around I just knew I could make something of it...you need vision when you look for a new house...sod em I say...there'll be the perfect buyer along soon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are use a different app called Glucose. First it calculates an average blood glucose from the figures you give it and no other data. Then it looks on the chart that the doctors use to estimate HbA1c from average blood glucose. So with my app, anytime I'm not testing is where the numbers could get messed up. Also, every one of my meters could be running in the bottom 15% of its error range all the time every day. <rolling eyes>. They tell me that the blood doesn't lie, which I agree with completely! However, the meters can fib away all day long and get away with it…

I tend to have more faith in the finger stabs, certainly as a monitor of trends. A week of no exercise or peaks and troughs in bg levels will all be evened out with the HbA1c ( or the app - mine also works on an average of readings). Also if your rbc happen to be longer lived or their size is larger than average, your result will be higher.
I’ve stopped putting too much faith in the absolute accuracy of either. I did get a lower A1c when I paid for a private test recently, but goodness knows which is the most accurate.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG PM if you'd seen this place when I bought it you would have screamed...it was dreadful...dirty...the garden was like a swamp it was in need of so much attention but as I looked around I just knew I could make something of it...you need vision when you look for a new house...sod em I say...there'll be the perfect buyer along soon.
Thanks Bubbsie you have made me laugh about it...as @zauberflote says I just want a house to go to with good bones and can adapt. Ours is a spacious family house with an acre of garden with different zones and the garden gets lookd after really well. I think the families who would love our house probably cant get that mortgage any more but we cant give it away!
Thanks girls for the solidarity...and making me smile.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Something so nice just happened that I want to post about it. A couple of hours ago I decided to walk over to the grocery store to return a couple of things and buy some other things. I was wanting to do more, go farther, go do something with somebody, but couldn't think of any place I particularly wanted to go or anyone I could call; most people here, like me, don't usually want to do things on the spur of the moment unless it is their spur and their moment. So I decided to just go out and sit in the garden for a little while and then walk on to the store.

When I got to the garden I ran into a neighbor I hadn't seen in quite a while and as she was walking towards the store we started talking and she invited me to walk on over to McDonald's with her for lunch. So we walked, and talked, and bought our lunch, and then walked back across the road to the garden and sat down and had lunch and talked. All in all we sat out there for about an hour, chatting and feeding the squirrels who came up to our table and asked for handouts. It's funny -- a cat would have asked OUT LOUD. The squirrels ask without making a sound.

Now I'm back home, and the KittenCat just came over and asked OUT LOUD for second lunch (or maybe early tea), and I am going to finish the hamburger I couldn't finish at lunch because I've gotten used to smaller meals. (And I was good -- I didn't buy any fries, and only stole one from my neighbor.)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@zauberflote it is beautiful. Is it a Packard?

This is the first family car I remember -- wish I could post a pic of it but this is its twin. '48 Hudson.

65337469-770-0@2X.png

Yep 1954 Clipper Deluxe. Betsy was her name, for Queen Elizabeth, as she was so stately in motion. Straight 8. My uncle drove it once, and came back grinning. "I just took a Jaguar on Harwood Hill!!!" We eventually owned 3. One for family, one converted to a truck to stay at the tree farm, and naturally one for parts, which Dad drove from time to time. I saw one in a drive-in ice cream place on MD about 10 yrs ago, and lurked by it until its owner came out with his treat. Asked him if I could sit in it. Yes! It was much smaller inside than even my high school self remembered. But oh that luxurious huge steering wheel, as we had pre-power steering!
Love your Hudson! Our first car I remember was called Maroonie, but I was only 2 so couldn't tell you what it was. My grandfather kept his pre-war car in good condition and never replaced it. They could walk everywhere they went.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got MrZF a Yamaha full size keybd for Xmas couple of years ago. It fits tidily in his home office. He used to play his great-aunt's baby grand that somehow came to him when his mother broke up the big house to downsize all those decades ago. We've got to decide (HE'S got to decide) to put many many thousands into full overhaul to include new sounding board, or sell it as you did. Meanwhile it sits "in storage" 100 mi from here. You will love yours!!!!!
I'm very excited!!! I might even put a snippet of me playing once I get up and running!!!