What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I'm a hands free spider saver PM...I use a tiny coffee cup & a card...cup swiftly over the spidey then the card slides underneath...off to the garden...but incey can stay as long as s/he behaves.

We use a giant plastic drink cup and a card that fits bc mostly we are ushering wasps outside. Every one of them is harmless and non-aggressive but soooo stupid. She will find the only way in, and never find her way out unless you help a little.
Incey is the first to get smushed in my house because it might be a very poisonous brown recluse which are very small and are partial to snoozing in folded fabric...

Reactions: DJC3 and gennepher

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Alert Alert, my one and only blue car, a Ford, died at the tender age of 8. My red Chevy lived to be 18. Not entirely sound, but running and stopping.

Brag Alert!! We have a running 35-yr-old Volvo 240 in the driveway. You can't kill that car! I drove a 1986 245 (wagon) for the last 19 years of her life. She died the rust death, as they do. 350K miles!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Debandez what a sweet story of love and life in music. Thank you for sharing with us!
@SaskiaKC GROANNNNNN!!!!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brag Alert!! We have a running 35-yr-old Volvo 240 in the driveway. You can't kill that car! I drove a 1986 245 (wagon) for the last 19 years of her life. She died the rust death, as they do. 350K miles!

I can't believe I forgot about this old guy. Technically it wasn't "mine" but I loved this family car. Ours had a white top.

images

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning at 6.0. Not unhappy. I am trying not to obsess with numbers too much while keeping an eye. I think my obsession may just be stressing me out and increasing the numbers. So I decided to measure twice a day only on normal days and additional measurements only if situation demands - eating something new or traveling etc.

On a separate note I found a photo from 2015 and thought a comparison maybe interesting!!!

Clearly left is 2015 and right is current!!

02BA4E19-426D-483C-81D5-ECFE8772FE19.jpg

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my goodness Debs what a story, it is so poignant and heart wrenching. You are all such strong women, you, your mum and your daughter you shoukd be so proud. Its really is all about your bond of love rather than the actual piano...but I know you know that. Well done all of you.
Thanks @PenguinMum. A new era has arrived. It's called digital. Eric is treating me to a new piano. It does everything apart from make tea, dust and clean but it's a start!!! But more expensive than my old piano but a bargain in the sale, £599. I'm very excited. Not picked her up yet but she will be joining us very soon.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning from somewhere on a bike trip while the sun is shining. There are a high number of insects swarming at the moment. Not as many as yesterday though as I had to stop every hour or so to clean them off my helmet.
Due to a lack of planning my secretive wonder wheel of misinformation a deception now informs me that it runs out of steam in three days and I didn’t pack a replacement. Never mind, I have my finger stabbing kit in my bags and I relish living on the edge.
A steady away 5.5 at 0600 this morning.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this morning. Was 4.5 last night. Had a very weird day yesterday. Was in the 3s all morning, even though I had breakfast, which felt really horrid as though I was having a hypo. After lunch BS went up to 5 but then dropped into 4s for the rest of the day and at times felt quite shaky.

This diabetes thing is very weird. On another day - eating the same amount of carbs and doing the same amount of exercise - my numbers could easily be in the 5s and 6s.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning. Happy with that.
@Debandez your story bought a tear to my eye. My daughter then 17 read a poem at my mum’s funeral, and as you say it takes a special kind of strength. It was one of my proudest moments though, seeing the strength of character it took for her to do it. I’m so glad you are getting another piano, and your house will be filled with music again.
@Shas3 your before and after photos are stunning - what an achievement! Well done. Completely agree with you that its easy to get obsessed and start stressing over the numbers. Has your HbA1c come down a lot?
@SaskiaKC I had to read twice before I got it!!! ( my excuse is that I haven’t had coffee yet!)
Edit for typo

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 this morning. Happy with that.
@Debandez your story bought a tear to my eye. My daughter then 17 read a poem at my mum’s funeral, and as you say it takes a special kind of strength. It was one of my proudest moments though, seeing the strength of character it took for her to do it. I’m so glad you are getting another piano, and your house will be filled with music again.
@Shas3 your before and after photos are stunning - what an achievement! Well done. Completely agree with you that its easy to get obsessed and start stressing over the numbers. Has your HbA1c come down a lot?
@SaskiaKC I had to read twice before I got it!!! ( my excuse is that I haven’t had coffee yet!)
Edit for typo

Thanks
HbA1C : I use the older units. The one expressed as percent. I was 11.8% when diagnosed and was 6.7% at last count. Non-diabetics would be below 5.7% as I understand. My app which estimates HbA1C based on daily finger prick numbers “estimates” that I should be 6% and how I wish it was true . Usually the lab numbers are a bit higher.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...I could do with another hour or so's sleep...had such a good evening dinner with friends out in the garden...I'd spent most of the day working out there...sweeping...planting...watering...hopefully it's all coming to fruition...some jerk chicken with Cajun potato wedges...plus the usual fizz...laughing &.gossiping which thankfully is carb free so we had an extra helping...no idea what the neighbours thought...slightly tricky trying to fight 'Plumpy' off finally gave him the remainder of the yoghurt...he loved it...woke to a 5.9...coffee then back to work outside.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.8 today

looking like a bright day again, must try to remember to take my hat next time we go for a long walk with the dog, my face has not so much a healthy glow but rather a pervasive pink ;)
Gorgeous day here yesterday with a slight sea breeze, hence I didn't realise how strong the sun was. Having spent so many years working indoors all day it's great to be able to spend time in the fresh air now.

We're indoors for most of the day today so hopefully the colour of my face will subside a bit, it's not sore, just pink as if I'm permanently embarrassed :hilarious:

Hope your day treats you kindly :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.0 this morning. Would have been 5s had I not felt peckish (rare) at midnight as I was going to bed and finished off some cabbage and a spare pork chop!!!

Yesterday's diabetics meeting at Tesco. RESULT!!! Attended by 2 reps from diabetes.org.uk

I was beginning to lose hope to be honest. Last month I felt I might be having the opposite effect on my fellow diabetics to what I was hoping to achieve. Me going in month after month sprouting about how good low carb was for controlling blood sugars, how it can be effective for weight loss etc etc. I saw the expressions on their faces, I heard their 'but I've got other complications' and it hit me. Its not as cut and dried as I thought it was going to be. These ladies and gents have been diabetic for many years. They are all, apart from one lady overweight, many obese. And many have other health issues. Some very complex. So when I went in yesterday you can imagine my total shock when 2 ladies came up to me to tell me some good news. The first lady who chairs the meetings has made changes to her diet. Swapped potatoes for celeriac (what she can't do with celeriac can fit on a postage stamp). Cut down on the usual carby culprits too and lost 7lb (not massively overweight). But the best news is that she has gone from 45 units twice a day to 25!!!!

Second lady who I noticed had lost quite a bit of weight and looked so happy with herself has gone from 110kg to 88kg! Over 3 stone 4lb lost! Hba1c down from 95 to 54!!! These are long term 'progressive' diabetics. I wrote down their results so I wouldn't forget. My heart was singing. I arrived at 2.30 on the dot and they immediately shared their news with me. They were so excited.

I could see 2 new faces there. This must be the DUK ladies. I've got knickers older than both of them I thought to myself. Let's hear what they have to say. Not a lot. They were there for the cheque. An annual event. £1500 passed over. Both ladies were from the finance dept. Working on how to bring money in. Knew nothing about nutrition although one was diabetic. 20 year old type 1. She does carb count but only for the insulin count. They showed a short 5 minute video. From a small laptop. Nobody could see the words flashing up and we could hardly hear it. 'Can you turn it up' no it was on max! About a shoe shop offering 50% discount. When people got there it was just one shoe on offer. From people who had amputations, diabetics. The info was out of date. 135 a week amputations it said. It's currently around 169. They mentioned a volunteer networking day to be held in Manchester Friday 7th June. Usually about 50 attend. Food provided (that will be interesting). I'm really busy but might be able to squeeze it in. I feel I have to go!

So then the chair spoke to all. I had brought some low carb stuff in. Leaflets. Weekly planners. Food list. Blood sugar monitoring leaflet. I gave everyone a blank weekly planner. everyone will write down what they eat and bring in next month. We are going to look at them together and make some small but hopefully significant changes to help control bs. The lady next to me has lots of health issues. She is currently on 58 units twice a day. Diabetic since 1999. Highest ever insulin now and she is worried as her pen only goes up to 60 units. Her readings in the morning are high. 18 yesterday. I asked what she had for breakfast after that reading. Yoghurt, salted caramel! I asked if she could change this to plain Greek full fat yogurt maybe. One thing I could never change she said!!! And she admitted comfort eating. I felt sad. She has a new 7 week old granddaughter.

I said that each month I can show a short video from DCUK or diet doctor on various things. IR. What makes us hungry. Sugar addiction etc. Chair has a projector so that will be good. Education is key. People seem happy with the suggestion.

I'm.going to share the good news with my surgery.

Happy Thursday everyone.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.0 this morning. Would have been 5s had I not felt peckish (rare) at midnight as I was going to bed and finished off some cabbage and a spare pork chop!!!

Yesterday's diabetics meeting at Tesco. RESULT!!! Attended by 2 reps from diabetes.org.uk

I was beginning to lose hope to be honest. Last month I felt I might be having the opposite effect on my fellow diabetics to what I was hoping to achieve. Me going in month after month sprouting about how good low carb was for controlling blood sugars, how it can be effective for weight loss etc etc. I saw the expressions on their faces, I heard their 'but I've got other complications' and it hit me. Its not as cut and dried as I thought it was going to be. These ladies and gents have been diabetic for many years. They are all, apart from one lady overweight, many obese. And many have other health issues. Some very complex. So when I went in yesterday you can imagine my total shock when 2 ladies came up to me to tell me some good news. The first lady who chairs the meetings has made changes to her diet. Swapped potatoes for celeriac (what she can't do with celeriac can fit on a postage stamp). Cut down on the usual carby culprits too and lost 7lb (not massively overweight). But the best news is that she has gone from 45 units twice a day to 25!!!!

Second lady who I noticed had lost quite a bit of weight and looked so happy with herself has gone from 110kg to 88kg! Over 3 stone 4lb lost! Hba1c down from 95 to 54!!! These are long term 'progressive' diabetics. I wrote down their results so I wouldn't forget. My heart was singing. I arrived at 2.30 on the dot and they immediately shared their news with me. They were so excited.

I could see 2 new faces there. This must be the DUK ladies. I've got knickers older than both of them I thought to myself. Let's hear what they have to say. Not a lot. They were there for the cheque. An annual event. £1500 passed over. Both ladies were from the finance dept. Working on how to bring money in. Knew nothing about nutrition although one was diabetic. 20 year old type 1. She does carb count but only for the insulin count. They showed a short 5 minute video. From a small laptop. Nobody could see the words flashing up and we could hardly hear it. 'Can you turn it up' no it was on max! About a shoe shop offering 50% discount. When people got there it was just one shoe on offer. From people who had amputations, diabetics. The info was out of date. 135 a week amputations it said. It's currently around 169. They mentioned a volunteer networking day to be held in Manchester Friday 7th June. Usually about 50 attend. Food provided (that will be interesting). I'm really busy but might be able to squeeze it in. I feel I have to go!

So then the chair spoke to all. I had brought some low carb stuff in. Leaflets. Weekly planners. Food list. Blood sugar monitoring leaflet. I gave everyone a blank weekly planner. everyone will write down what they eat and bring in next month. We are going to look at them together and make some small but hopefully significant changes to help control bs. The lady next to me has lots of health issues. She is currently on 58 units twice a day. Diabetic since 1999. Highest ever insulin now and she is worried as her pen only goes up to 60 units. Her readings in the morning are high. 18 yesterday. I asked what she had for breakfast after that reading. Yoghurt, salted caramel! I asked if she could change this to plain Greek full fat yogurt maybe. One thing I could never change she said!!! And she admitted comfort eating. I felt sad. She has a new 7 week old granddaughter.

I said that each month I can show a short video from DCUK or diet doctor on various things. IR. What makes us hungry. Sugar addiction etc. Chair has a projector so that will be good. Education is key. People seem happy with the suggestion.

I'm.going to share the good news with my surgery.

Happy Thursday everyone.
I just loved reading your post - it really brightened up my day. You are really making a difference to people's lives.