What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Found this on Amazon recently

Thriller of the Day apparently
Screenshot_20200113-191751_Facebook.jpeg

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The last time I did a watercolour in A3 size, Popeye walked his muddy paw prints across my finished sky...(and that was a commission I had taken on...)
What a Catastrophe :)

Sorry @gennepher could not resist that one, but sorry that happened to you.

I have no idea how I'm going to lighten my sky it needs to remain dark behind the wave for best effect, I can see I'm going to waste some paper and paint, but I'm not going to be defeated.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I’ve given up being able to get back to sleep now. Been awake since 3:30, had lots of cups of tea so now up and down to the loo.
Fbg 4.8 about 4am.
I’m worried about Dennis, we had to rush him to the vet last night as he managed to get into daughter’s study ( door was shut but latch hadn’t clicked down properly we think) he pulled her bag off the desk and chewed up a her meds which were inside ( paracetamol, codeine and a hormone one) when we discovered it, the floor was littered with the boxes, chewed blister packs and half chewed pills. No idea how many he’d swallowed.
Mad dash to vet who gave him an emetic jab and within a couple of mins he was vomiting violently. He was so good though and although he was sick about 20 times he got it in the bowl every time. Poor vet had to don gloves and feel about in it to see if he could find any pills ( he couldn’t) they’ve kept him in overnight on a drip and given a paracetamol antidote. We are all just stunned with how quickly it happened. Poor daughter is blaming herself but it really was just an accident, she always checks the door as it has a dodgy catch but can’t have engaged properly this time.
I think it’s going to be a long morning until the vet phones, I’m just sitting here worrying.

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all.

6.6 mmo/lt at 0600.

Had spag. bol. with real dried pasta, 50g. last night as a experiment, so quite pleased with my FBG. My BG 90 mins p.p. was 7.0 so not a disaster either. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Hope you all survived the storms unscathed. Have a great day.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Oh, no! How horrible! Poor little Dennis. What time does the vet open?

There is a night vet on duty, and he said he would call me in the night if there was a problem, they haven’t called so he must be ok. If I haven’t heard anything by around 8am I’ll give them a ring. Poor little soul, I keep trying to read my book but I can’t concentrate.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all.

6.6 mmo/lt at 0600.

Had spag. bol. with real dried pasta, 50g. last night as a experiment, so quite pleased with my FBG. My BG 90 mins p.p. was 7.0 so not a disaster either. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Hope you all survived the storms unscathed. Have a great day.

Not bad at all - was that dried or cooked weight of pasta?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a night vet on duty, and he said he would call me in the night if there was a problem, they haven’t called so he must be ok. If I haven’t heard anything by around 8am I’ll give them a ring. Poor little soul, I keep trying to read my book but I can’t concentrate.

I'm glad there is a vet with him. Hopefully no news is good news!
What book are you trying to read?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hello @DJC3 . I weighed the dried pasta, 53g. This is a smallish adult portion. I cooked it for only 11 mins so it was "al dente". Apparently it has a lower G.I. value if eaten like this.

It seemed to work pretty well for you, which is really good news. I’ve read that reheating chilled starchy food like spuds and pasta helps to reduce the impact too. I wonder if cooking a double quantity next time and saving half in the fridge for next day would make a difference.
( note I’m just suggesting to you as I’m too much of a scaredy cat to try pasta myself again!)

Reactions: gennepher

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad there is a vet with him. Hopefully no news is good news!
What book are you trying to read?

Agree, no news must be good news.
It’s a Greg Hurwitz thriller type thing I picked up from the second hand book shelf in my doctors surgery yesterday. Large print so nice and easy to see! I really enjoyed his ‘Orphan X’ trilogy so thought I’d try another. I’m not getting into it very easily though.
Have you got a book on the go currently?

Reactions: gennepher

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I’ve given up being able to get back to sleep now. Been awake since 3:30, had lots of cups of tea so now up and down to the loo.
Fbg 4.8 about 4am.
I’m worried about Dennis, we had to rush him to the vet last night as he managed to get into daughter’s study ( door was shut but latch hadn’t clicked down properly we think) he pulled her bag off the desk and chewed up a her meds which were inside ( paracetamol, codeine and a hormone one) when we discovered it, the floor was littered with the boxes, chewed blister packs and half chewed pills. No idea how many he’d swallowed.
Mad dash to vet who gave him an emetic jab and within a couple of mins he was vomiting violently. He was so good though and although he was sick about 20 times he got it in the bowl every time. Poor vet had to don gloves and feel about in it to see if he could find any pills ( he couldn’t) they’ve kept him in overnight on a drip and given a paracetamol antidote. We are all just stunned with how quickly it happened. Poor daughter is blaming herself but it really was just an accident, she always checks the door as it has a dodgy catch but can’t have engaged properly this time.
I think it’s going to be a long morning until the vet phones, I’m just sitting here worrying.
So sorry that this has happened to Dennis. Thank goodness you discovered this last night and were able to take really quick action. Hopefully the vet will ring early with an update and Dennis will be well enough to come home today. The waiting for the vet to ring is really horrible for all of you - especially your daughter.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I can feel for you from experience. I have 2 dogs. I have been there twice. The first time was paracetamol. I left my coffee and a blister pack of paracetamol on a side table whilst I answered the door and came back to the pack on the floor and coffee splashed about on the table. No idea which dog had had them or if both had. Trip to the vet and both dogs treated in the same way as poor Denis. The second time was gliclazide I dropped one and wasn't as quick as the dog to pick it up. That time the vet trip was just for hourly obs and bg readings for 12 hours. Both occasions were quite expensive.
I trust that all will be well. It sounds as if you got him to the vet quickly and they dealt with him quickly too.