What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher @Muddy Cyclist your paintings are awesome. I think they would make up a wonderful calendar. They should be enjoyed by millions not just the members on this amazing thread.

I have been thinking the same thing about these paintings. I hadn't thought about a calendar. What a wonderful idea that is! I would love to have one. :)

Ps Eric's BP is coming down with keto. This morning 125/75! We were doing a little jig. It might be a fluke who knows. Will keep monitoring.

That is great news! (But I do worry about people's cholesterol numbers, even though I know we are all different ... :) )

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just spent 2 hours on a practise run for the A1 watercolour seascape painting, this one is A3 size so a good bit larger than yesterday's, looks similar but it's today's effort, not happy with the sky which needs to be dramatic but this is too dark and it won't take any further work, thus is the nature of water colour paint.

View attachment 37825

So back to the drawing board, next one will have lighter sky with interesting clouds, then I can also play with light on the sea, fingers crossed.
Painting looks good to me but I see that if it is for a commission you want to put your name to your best work. You really are a Wednesday's child aren't you?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. My father had diverticulitis and hardly ate any fiber. I don't want to develop it.
My mother, however, could eat anything, and loved hot and spicy foods. I can eat them, but I don't like them.

But I have been meaning to ask y'all: What is tikka masala like? Is it hot and spicy? My grocery store carries several brands of this variety of frozen dinners and I thought I would try one.
Tikka Masala is an anglicised dish adapted to western tastes, it doesnt exist in India but of course that doesn't make it bad. It really does vary in taste a lot and some can contain quite a bit of sugar unlike spices which annoys me. But have a look at yours for info and mayb3 its worth a go. Generally speaking it shouldbe a middle of the road spicewise rich curry sauce. We are big fans of Indian curries and I do prefer to cook from an Indian cookbook though I do take short cuts with pastes and jars of sauces sometimes. I would also suggest if you can be bothered find a Tikka Masala spice blend and make your own curry.

Reactions: trick60 and jjraak

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening, I’m a bit late again because I forget.. it’s my age ! So a 5.7 greeted mu this very morning ... I’m happy as I’ve been under 6 every day this week.
You are storming it...a really great start to New Year. Fab!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not being given General Anaesthetic at all, as my Consultant doesn't have a Anaesthetist so face being paralysed it is, doesn't help with the nerves at all.:):)

Oh crikey! That does sound daunting, I will be rooting for you doubly now.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Phew! Caught up on over 300 posts. That wont happen again (she says....again!).

@SaskiaKC your emoticons are world class and I loved your horse painting
@gennepher @Muddy Cyclist your paintings are awesome. I think they would make up a wonderful calendar. They should be enjoyed by millions not just the members on this amazing thread.
@DJC3 wonderful results. Thrilled for you.
And please can I ask why no cream?

Free hugs for all who need. Lots going on that can be challenging.

Ps Eric's BP is coming down with keto. This morning 125/75! We were doing a little jig. It might be a fluke who knows. Will keep monitoring.

Thank you about the emojis and the horse. :) That was the first horse I'd drawn in decades -- and the first I think I've ever drawn for public exhibition!
t1849.gif
t1850.gif
t1851.gif

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tikka Masala is an anglicised dish adapted to western tastes, it doesnt exist in India but of course that doesn't make it bad. It really does vary in taste a lot and some can contain quite a bit of sugar unlike spices which annoys me. But have a look at yours for info and mayb3 its worth a go. Generally speaking it shouldbe a middle of the road spicewise rich curry sauce. We are big fans of Indian curries and I do prefer to cook from an Indian cookbook though I do take short cuts with pastes and jars of sauces sometimes. I would also suggest if you can be bothered find a Tikka Masala spice blend and make your own curry.

Thank you. :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 wonderful results. Thrilled for you.
And please can I ask why no cream?

No cream because the amount is gradually creeping up, so is the amount of coffee I’m drinking. I just love coffee with cream but I reckon it should probably be a treat not a several times a day occurrence.
It’s also so much easier when I’m out to just have it black, hardly anywhere here has cream, though they do have 20 different types of non dairy milk!
Good news on Eric’s BP, well done to both of you. I keep trying to persuade Mr C to cut the carbs, it’s a slow process.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been thinking the same thing about these paintings. I hadn't thought about a calendar. What a wonderful idea that is! I would love to have one. :)

That is great news! (But I do worry about people's cholesterol numbers, even though I know we are all different ... :) )
If you get time Google ivor Cummings

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hug for the frustration and fbs. Winner for this amazing work of art. I adore it. One of my favourites to date. I'm thinking you could make a calendar of 12 of your favourites for 2021. I get personalised table top calendar for hubby done for xmas every year. Family pics. But steal it and put it on my bedside table.
I never thought of that - to make a calendar of my paintings. That is a brilliant idea...thanks Debs.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not being given General Anaesthetic at all, as my Consultant doesn't have a Anaesthetist so face being paralysed it is, doesn't help with the nerves at all.:):)
Hope all goes well and you get great results from this challenge.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No cream because the amount is gradually creeping up, so is the amount of coffee I’m drinking. I just love coffee with cream but I reckon it should probably be a treat not a several times a day occurrence.
It’s also so much easier when I’m out to just have it black, hardly anywhere here has cream, though they do have 20 different types of non dairy milk!
Good news on Eric’s BP, well done to both of you. I keep trying to persuade Mr C to cut the carbs, it’s a slow process.
I too love cream in my coffee but only have 2 a day. That said I'm looking at investing in a coffee maker. I only ever drank tea before dx. Instant coffee since. Guidance would be much appreciated. I can go on Amazon but haven't got a scooby doo. The coffee machines that have little pods always seem cold and I can only drink coffee hot! Perculator maybe? No idea.

Reactions: DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought a stovetop percolator and actually brewed coffee in it for about 3 cans' worth. Now I occasionally use just the pot to boil water for instant coffee.
I bought a Mr Coffee drip coffeemaker and used it several times.
Now I just fill a microwaveable mug with water and nuke it, then add instant coffee.
The brewed coffee was tasty but not worth the cleanup or the price of the filters.
But it was tempting to try different brands and roasts/grinds, and to consider grinding my own! :)

Reactions: DJC3

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just spent 2 hours on a practise run for the A1 watercolour seascape painting, this one is A3 size so a good bit larger than yesterday's, looks similar but it's today's effort, not happy with the sky which needs to be dramatic but this is too dark and it won't take any further work, thus is the nature of water colour paint.

View attachment 37825

So back to the drawing board, next one will have lighter sky with interesting clouds, then I can also play with light on the sea, fingers crossed.

That is some hard task to do a watercolour in A1 size @Muddy Cyclist.
The last time I did a watercolour in A3 size, Popeye walked his muddy paw prints across my finished sky...(and that was a commission I had taken on...)
I like this one, and I also look forward to seeing how your lighter sky works out.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too love cream in my coffee but only have 2 a day. That said I'm looking at investing in a coffee maker. I only ever drank tea before dx. Instant coffee since. Guidance would be much appreciated. I can go on Amazon but haven't got a scooby doo. The coffee machines that have little pods always seem cold and I can only drink coffee hot! Perculator maybe? No idea.

My Nespresso maker never made it hot enough either - gave it to daughter in the end. I use a cafetière or single cup filter papers now. I did have a bigger drip coffee filter machine which had a thermos flask underneath so it kept warm for hours. @shelley262 recommended it but I can’t remember what make it was now. Hopefully she’ll reply and tell you. (My thermos jug broke and I haven’t replaced it.)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
14-01-2020
6.0 on waking. Lemon tea
40 mins later, really hungry, tested again
5.3. Again where is dawn phenomenon?
Very windy here also, we already have three trees down, expecting more if this continues. Still so far no more damage to the roof.