What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I’ve given up being able to get back to sleep now. Been awake since 3:30, had lots of cups of tea so now up and down to the loo.
Fbg 4.8 about 4am.
I’m worried about Dennis, we had to rush him to the vet last night as he managed to get into daughter’s study ( door was shut but latch hadn’t clicked down properly we think) he pulled her bag off the desk and chewed up a her meds which were inside ( paracetamol, codeine and a hormone one) when we discovered it, the floor was littered with the boxes, chewed blister packs and half chewed pills. No idea how many he’d swallowed.
Mad dash to vet who gave him an emetic jab and within a couple of mins he was vomiting violently. He was so good though and although he was sick about 20 times he got it in the bowl every time. Poor vet had to don gloves and feel about in it to see if he could find any pills ( he couldn’t) they’ve kept him in overnight on a drip and given a paracetamol antidote. We are all just stunned with how quickly it happened. Poor daughter is blaming herself but it really was just an accident, she always checks the door as it has a dodgy catch but can’t have engaged properly this time.
I think it’s going to be a long morning until the vet phones, I’m just sitting here worrying.

oh poor you and D.

not a pleasant night at all.

best wishes for a speedy recovery for the fur baby
and a moments rest for you...xx

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Krystyna23040 @Bildad and @jjraak I’m counting down to 8am now, I think that’s a reasonable time to ring. Better not have more coffee, I’m jittery enough as it is. Bildad it happens so quickly doesn’t it? Glad there were no Ill effects for your two.
Krystyna re your coffee habit, you’ve done so brilliantly getting your diabetes under control I think you absolutely deserve those several coffees& creams!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a Catastrophe :)

Sorry @gennepher could not resist that one, but sorry that happened to you.

I have no idea how I'm going to lighten my sky it needs to remain dark behind the wave for best effect, I can see I'm going to waste some paper and paint, but I'm not going to be defeated.

Ha ha @Muddy Cyclist :)
I roared at him...I just caught him coming off the painting. It was a building I had spent days on to get accurate. I was not redoing the painting. I had to reconfigure the sky...
Popeye has never walked over another painting again. He could see how upset I was...

My partner J was a painter. Mostly of just skies, or skies and seas but there was very little sky above the sea so you concentrated more on the power of the waves. Or it was just the sea without any sky and then you could really feel the swell of the waves. He had sailed with his father, a ship's captain, in the 40's. So he knew the sea. (J was 20 years older than me)
I don't know if this is any help to you.

I cannot paint the sea as J did. I have tried.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

Blinking amazing!
I have gone back to eating my nuts when I wake up. I started again yesterday morning.
My blood sugars being stable is the most important thing to me.

My painting this morning, daily challenge to myself...
Not too keen on the yellow...I wanted it a wee bit more orangey. But I had spent an hour on it, even though this one looks relatively simple. And I have decided that I am going to try and stick to no longer than an hour on each painting. Because by the time you have got your brushes out, chosen the paints and squeezed them out, cleaned brushes etc at the end, tried to scrub paint off my hands...then that is an additional hour. I am not wearing rubber gloves like some artists do. I am a messy painter...I have paint on my jeans and on the rest of me...

01CBDE0A-8981-43AF-BB90-ACFA898B101E.jpeg

Have a good day.
Hugs for everyone whether you want them or not!
Take care!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I’ve given up being able to get back to sleep now. Been awake since 3:30, had lots of cups of tea so now up and down to the loo.
Fbg 4.8 about 4am.
I’m worried about Dennis, we had to rush him to the vet last night as he managed to get into daughter’s study ( door was shut but latch hadn’t clicked down properly we think) he pulled her bag off the desk and chewed up a her meds which were inside ( paracetamol, codeine and a hormone one) when we discovered it, the floor was littered with the boxes, chewed blister packs and half chewed pills. No idea how many he’d swallowed.
Mad dash to vet who gave him an emetic jab and within a couple of mins he was vomiting violently. He was so good though and although he was sick about 20 times he got it in the bowl every time. Poor vet had to don gloves and feel about in it to see if he could find any pills ( he couldn’t) they’ve kept him in overnight on a drip and given a paracetamol antidote. We are all just stunned with how quickly it happened. Poor daughter is blaming herself but it really was just an accident, she always checks the door as it has a dodgy catch but can’t have engaged properly this time.
I think it’s going to be a long morning until the vet phones, I’m just sitting here worrying.
Lots of hugs for you @DJC3 and Dennis
Sending some prayers your way.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.2 today.
@DJC3 no wonder you couldnt sleep, what a terrible ordeal for you all. I hope poor little Dennis is getting better. It was an accident and these things happen. Do let us know when you do. Really thinking of you all.
Have a good Wednesday all. Stay well, stay safe.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and those who been a bit sporadic in visiting this thread, me and me's had our reasons driven by CBA.
I hope you regulars have been well, if not get well soon.
Remember today is National Bin Day.

My fasting blood sugars have been anything from 8.1 down to a 5.1 with an average of 6.2, but I have no trust in that evil scheming meter. It's up to something.......

Well folks I have no idea what your plans are for today, but I hope they involve being and doing something that will bring a smile to a strangers face. Above all else remember, what? I've forgotten already.

Last edited:

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.6 this morning as I continue my journey. I did check my ketones but they are lazy so-and-so's and are resisting me at 0.3. I don't know how to chivvy them up so I'll just be patient for now ;)

@gennepher Etsy is a great public stage for artists of all persuasions. I've had printed t-shirts, pictures, and jewellery from there.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and an alarming 6.6 for me, I give up trying to work out what food, fasting, exercise or mood does to my BG it's just one big flipping mystery! :banghead:

@DJC3 what a worry, really hope all works out well for D.

@gennepher agree with you about the intensity of the yellow but still a good painting. I'm also a messy painter but watercolour a little easier to clean up. Thanks for ideas regarding sea and sky, will give it all some thought today.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and those who been a bit sporadic in visiting this thread, me and me's had our reasons driven by CBA.
I hope you regulars have been well, if not get well soon.
Remember today is National Bin Day.

My fasting blood sugars have been anything from 8.1 down to a 5.1 with an average of 6.2, but I have no trust in that evil scheming meter. It's up to something.......

Well folks I have no idea what your plans are for today, but I hope they involve being and doing something that will bring a smile to a strangers face. Above all else remember, what? I've forgotten already.

hahaha..how refreshingly honest..:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

i think i sometimes come down with a serious case of that re lots of things, too..:D

hope ALL you guys, ( innies AND outies) have a good un..:)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. My father had diverticulitis and hardly ate any fiber. I don't want to develop it.
My mother, however, could eat anything, and loved hot and spicy foods. I can eat them, but I don't like them.

But I have been meaning to ask y'all: What is tikka masala like? Is it hot and spicy? My grocery store carries several brands of this variety of frozen dinners and I thought I would try one.
@SaskiaKC, not sure if the pre-made variety will be that authentic and perhaps may contain sugars and other nasties.
A tikka means an Indian dish of small pieces of meat or vegetables marinated in a spice mixture. In this case, chicken, and marinated for several hours (I do mine overnight) and then roasted in an oven or under a grill. The Masala bit refers to a mixture of ground spices. I sometimes drink a Masala Chai (tea with spices). This dish allegedly originated in Glasgow, Scotland. I have spoken to many of my Indian friends and colleagues about it over the years (my mothers Sindhi ancestors came from a region in India (now in Pakistan) called Sindh and they seem to concur that it is a Punjabi dish but may have been changed slightly by migrants in the UK. Spiced and creamy , not that hot. Anyhow, if you would like to see what it contains, a pretty authentic recipe can be found here: https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/madhurs-chicken-tikka-masala

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you to everyone who wished me good luck for my eye injection. All went well and this morning fbs was 5.1 - which is good for after an injection. This time they gave me loads more numbing drops and my eye was much less sore afterwards.

Really wet and horrible here - just finishing coffee and off to work.

Reactions: karen8967

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a stovetop percolator and actually brewed coffee in it for about 3 cans' worth. Now I occasionally use just the pot to boil water for instant coffee.
I bought a Mr Coffee drip coffeemaker and used it several times.
Now I just fill a microwaveable mug with water and nuke it, then add instant coffee.
The brewed coffee was tasty but not worth the cleanup or the price of the filters.
But it was tempting to try different brands and roasts/grinds, and to consider grinding my own! :)
@SaskiaKC, I have tried many gadgets that make koffy over the years - all a big phaf and not all that satisfying (unless of course you have a big Italian Espresso machine in all it’s glory) - I use a cafetière (french press if you like) - always works. Secret is not to burn the beans with boiling water. Grinding your own beans means that you can change the flavour just by how much of a grind you give them although I just buy my koffy already ground because I am lazy. Not a fan of instant nor that bitter stuff that sits stewing in glass jugs on a heated plate.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all.

6.6 mmo/lt at 0600.

Had spag. bol. with real dried pasta, 50g. last night as a experiment, so quite pleased with my FBG. My BG 90 mins p.p. was 7.0 so not a disaster either. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Hope you all survived the storms unscathed. Have a great day.
I don’t know if you want the bother but if you cook the pasta the day before (for 9 minutes and then rinse thoroughly), leave in the fridge overnight and then drop into boiling water for a minute or two the next day, you will have locked a good 30% of the carbs into residual starch. Residual starch has little effect on BS and your gut bacteria will love it.

Edited as 9 minutes is probably better than 10

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey, It’s 0900 and have only just (partially) caught up. @DJC3 - I hope that Dennis is out of the wars now.

The wonder wheel of let’s go out to eat and try and cut through the menu came in at a pleasing 5.3 this a.m. on a nice rising line that has now dropped down to 4.3 all within the space of 20 minutes. Just illustrates how a single jab producing blob of blood can annoy you one minute and delight the next. Let’s all do our fasting finger pricking every 10 minutes and go utterly mad (yes Doctor, something climbed into my bed last night and attacked my fingers - No Doctor, never felt a thing).

Restaurant last night after a film - decided upon a very small portion of whitebait and then the moules marinière - no bread, no Frites (or chips or fries or even jenga chips). Very tasty and producing a nice looking bell curve on the graph of doom that settled nicely after two hours. Thank’s go to all the organs and hormones that took part with a special mention to the islets of Langerhans for an outstanding performance.

Have a great day if you can, bin day so best shuffle off and get them lined up.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hug for @DJC3 and wish for Dennis to be back to normal asap. @OldButBold carni OMAD seems to work for fbg (how is #transitgate?) my ketones seem to like bulletproof tea. @alf_Josiah and @Bildad good to see you back. Fbg of 5.6 for me - bit of fail there IMHO. Listening to The Diabetes Code at bedtime. Early treatments including whisky and black coffee, starvation, just meat - high mortality rates - dire warnings of what diabetes uniquely does to the body and how sharply downside risks rise with A1c >5. Not ideal for sleeping. 8 hours plus and 84 sleep score (bit of a PB there) - go figure.

Last edited: