What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wrote this poem this morning, before the moon had set or the sun had risen.

Ranks of clouds
pass in review before the moon
-- and now pause --
and now move onward --
And only my cat and I are awake to observe
and all the beacons below
lined up on the horizon
like troops on parade
on watch
on guard.

Against what do they guard?
The dark of night?
The dark of fright?
The dark night of the soul?

And now -- in just the matter of minutes --
of seconds --
taken to write these lines
The clouds have covered the moon

And yet - and now
it shows its light again:
one brief glimpse of light
there
beyond the darkness,
the cover of the clouds

Take cover is a cry commanding troops. ...

God comes on clouds
and Jesus Christ will come in clouds of glory
never to be hid from us again
And that city then will need no lights
for Christ in all His glory will be its Light

And yet for now
we two observers
my cat and I
will watch this plane fly past
and I will go and make some tea.

And here the moonlight comes again
as bright as ever
shining through the clouds
brighter and bigger than before
reflecting its light off the clouds
and beaming through them
spreading all across the sky
Alleluia
Amen
Your poem is truly beautiful and so evocative, I love looking up at the moon particularly when it is partially hidden behind clouds and gives a halo of light, or when we travel along the coast and the moon can be seen casting its reflection across a calm sea and I can just see you and the cat sitting there watching the world go by. with a cup of tea in your hand. You have blessed me. Thank you.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your poem is truly beautiful and so evocative, I love looking up at the moon particularly when it is partially hidden behind clouds and gives a halo of light, or when we travel along the coast and the moon can be seen casting its reflection across a calm sea and I can just see you and the cat sitting there watching the world go by. with a cup of tea in your hand. You have blessed me. Thank you.

Thank you. :) I enjoyed your description of the moon.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC really good to hear you are getting on that guitar again, some great numbers you are playing, do keep it up. I can get through Little Red Rooster, just about, bending the notes to get that blues sound, with the odd wrong note. Harmonicas are very confusing, Little Red Rooster is in the key of G so Blues Chords are G C and D but I have to use an harmonica in the key of C, this is a big learning curve and could get expensive as you need different harmonicas for music in different keys.

MRs Mc and myself are like @Ryhia and could not get on with a memory foam mattress. We went for pocket sprung both of different firmness joined together on a super king base. See if you can try it out, here in the U.K it is possible to have a mattress for weeks sleep on it and send it back if not suitable.

@trick60 great work, can I be put on your jobs to be done list after you have built @SaskiaKC bed, Mrs MC can find you lots too fix.

Thank you for your encouraging words. :) And thanks also about the mattress. That is now 2-0 against a foam mattress. :) I haven't been able to find anything about this particular one online, other than customers' reviews; unlike the Wolf, and another brand that I can see and sample locally. And the one I posted does cost more than the other others I've liked online.
Here in the US it is also possible to try out a mattress for some weeks. :)
I may just go with one of the old standard innerspring brands -- what y'all call sprung ones? -- with the coils inside, either in pockets or just linked to each other.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went walking in some Snow Drop Woods with Granddaughter and on return she asked me to show her how to paint them, she just looked on. A5 size, Watercolour, Snow drops were masked out with masking fluid before we started, dried with hair dryer for speed. 35 minutes to complete. Brushes used shown, two of them are masking fluid brushes. Now back from oldest granddaughters birthday party, fun and games and birthday cake! Yet 5.7 from old Dracula so fingers crossed for low Morning reading.

View attachment 38434

View attachment 38435
I love this, so springlike @Muddy Cyclist
I didn't know you could buy masking fluid brushes.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and 5.8 today.
A day indoors so painting and music for me today.

@gennepher
I didn't know you could buy masking fluid brushes.
yep, saves messing up more expensive Watercolour brushes and they are easier to clean.

Find time for yourself today but don't neglect the ones you love. Oh and hold on to your hats! :)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Wow impressive!
We had a memory foam mattress. After a while it remembered where we sleep and got big hollows. Was horribly expensive and we had to replace it in about two years. I don't recommend them.
Edited to add
We loved it at first, it was winter and we noticed being warmer. Not so happy in summer.
Maybe we were unlucky, or bought the wrong brand. It was tremedously warm. Too warm. Ofc not all will be the same.

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
FB_IMG_1580327182265.jpg

Reactions: SaskiaKC

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...a fairly decent sleep last night really needed it...wow the hearth littered with soot from the chimney meant to close the damper last night but forgot...was planning to go out for some logs & coal today think I'll stay put & turn the heating up a notch...beasts fed they are fascinated by the weather they'll be staying in too...woke to a 6.1

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
09-02-2020
7.30 am FBG 5.9
yoghurt and raspberries last night and an exceptionally relaxed evening?
Still under six though :)
Very windy here this morning and we haven't got the full brunt of the storm.
Stay safe and warm people.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from the Brummy centre of Brummy town.

The wonder wheel of swing parks, canal walks and a fine Portuguese restaurant produced a rounded 4.0 this am.

No idea what we are going to do today although a trip to a local Miller & Carter has been mentioned.
The promised storm is hotting up in some areas, not here fortunately, so if it is hitting you, batten down the hatches and ride it out.
Nice bit of wood @trick60. @SaskiaKC, thank you for your poem.

Be as wonderful as you can and remember, swearing well needs lots of practice. I need some koffy.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, I thought I'd best return to the fold. Blowing a literal gale here so I shall be staying in my burrow.

This morning my FBG was 7.0 at 0700, no idea of the 'why' of it as my scores are between 4.5-5.8 during the day. It has been like this for a few days and I've been low carb (<80) for a week. Have to go for my HbAc1 and COPD very soon so I'm not holding out for a good bg score.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 this morning. Very wild here in Norfolk. Lots of power cuts - luckily not us.

A relaxing day today. Archie and Poppy are not asking to go out for a walk - I think they realise it's too wild.

Reactions: karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all from a very windy Breckland. Fbg of 5.4 driven by slowroast roast goat in a very exotic marinade cooked by No1 son. The move went ok. 3 van loads of boxes to unpack and move. Much of it will probably go to a recycling centre although 1 American fridge freezer went to No 3 son - needed front door off. Huge corner unit / home cinema sofas may go same route. The scale of the downsize will be far , far bigger than we thought. Hit 22k steps on moving day as up before 4.0 am and averaging 16k steps over last week. Absolute chaos but bg seems to be poor but not terrible with exercise - some really heavy boxes of alcohol. Removers staggered by how much of that and how many clothes Julie had. Teapot, huge mug, kettle and teabags came in my car. Have a great day. I 'm going to put myself into storage for a whhile

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We had a memory foam mattress. After a while it remembered where we sleep and got big hollows. Was horribly expensive and we had to replace it in about two years. I don't recommend them.
Edited to add
We loved it at first, it was winter and we noticed being warmer. Not so happy in summer.
Maybe we were unlucky, or bought the wrong brand. It was tremedously warm. Too warm. Ofc not all will be the same.

Thank you for posting about it. I'm sorry it was a bad buy for you.
I have found an innerspring mattress of the same make as the foam one that also has great customer reviews.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had a whole calendar's worth of weather today. The forecast was for sun ... we got some sun late in the afternoon, after snow that turned to rain ... and after the sun set we got a very thick fog, which is still out there. I have never seen so much varied weather in one day!

Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

My painting for today...
Brushes used are at the top...
These are all thinnish washes mostly to create this.
You can see one of the brushes is cracking on the handle. It is because I leave them in water as I am working.
I wanted another set...but they came direct from China.........(a couple of years ago)....
D3F817C8-9D14-47F9-BB39-EB26DAE1E265.jpeg

My garden needs a tidy up from these high winds battering us....
Have fun
Hugs if you need them
Take care

Reactions: karen8967

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.9 at 0600 probably higher now. Storm Ciara kept us awake a lot. Our electricity went off at 0500 but when I woke again at 0800 it was back. Hurrah. At 0530 Mr PM was congratulating me on my wisdom in buying another gas stove ;);)after shaking his head in disbelief yesterday probably wont be needed now ;);)though this is a long running storm. Cats defo staying in today.
@ianpspurs good to hear you’re in and good FBG. @OldButBold good to see you back, dont worry about the FBG it wont do any good, but you know that. @Muddy Cyclist thanks for the snowdrops, really lovely. Your GD must be learning so much from you. My hatches are battened down. No obvious damage outside yet. Enjoy Sunday, if its stormy stay in. Stay well, stay safe.