What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.2 this morning.

My nurse was very good yesterday as we went thru' my COPD and T2 checkups. Very different from the last nurse as she is a big supporter of LCHF and wanted to see all my blood sugar results on my app. Won't get my HbAc1 results for a week or so but my breathing seems to have held its own since last year.

Today I'm back to see my doc as we begin the exploration of post-polio syndrome and other fun things.

I woke up today thinking about the journey, I've been planetside for 24,033 days inclusive and that's a lot of 'moments' that I can still recall. For nearly 2,000 of those days I was paralysed but I'm sure I spent many more being in love with someone. Hopefully, I spent less time being angry or frustrated with my journey than I did finding bliss in a sunrise or weeping for no other reason than I was happy.

In each of those days, I believed my 'lot' was a permanence defined by the seconds ticking by and it is only in looking back that we see how temporary our situations can be.

Well, for me at least, enjoy your day :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank
Hello @gennepher

Thanks for your post

I forgot to say that I have purchased some Coleman’s English mustard applied to both feet it’s still early days I can’t see any difference just yet.

Yes it’s so weird how you can accept it, psychiatrist has given me a weekly planner to do tasks each day to try to take my focus away from the pain

So I am doing some short walks with the dog, playing with the dog, going out for a coffee, doing a little bit of gardening, listening to relaxation sounds, visiting garden centres, watching Carlisle United (that’s another kind of pain lol lol)

She’s also suggested to try alter my thoughts and swear words to something along the lines of still acknowledging the pain but to distract myself into thinking about trying to do a task, so I am using relaxation a lot when this happens.

Can I ask if you struggle to walk?

I am having some falls at home and out and about, Occy Therapist has given me a walking stick to use to steady me because when I walk it’s like walking on a bouncy castle filled with stinging nettles.

I have also struggled to cut my toe nails and accidentally punctured one of my toes with the tip of the scissors, never felt it and only noticed when I saw the blood

What a state, and when the stabbing pain starts OMG.

Let’s hope we both don’t suffer to much

Tek care

Hi @Cumberland

Maybe the Coleman's mustard will work, maybe it won't. We are all different. I hope it does.

I can understand the psychiatrist suggesting tasks each day to try and take you focus away from the pain. I also have non-stop invasive intrusive tinnitus, and for years I was trying to divert my brain away from that.

In the 1990's I read every self help book going, thought the majority were rubbish. Someone suggested 'Flow" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi around 1995. I couldn't get into the book.

It is an interesting readable book, but I couldn't read it at that time. I realise now I was mentally fighting with myself, and resisting, there was this wall. I always said I was positive, but in reality there was an abundance of negative thoughts (and the naughty words) on a very frequent daily basis.

I am now much better with positive thoughts, but they are my choice of words for the positive thoughts, not what some guru or famous person says we should repeat daily.

That kind of thing is an anathema to me, reading someone else's positive words. I instinctively rebel and fight against it.

Anyway there are précis online on the book, it gives you enough of an idea, and he has done ted talks which you can find on you tube.

The point is you get totally absorbed in something that nothing else matters, the pain goes (it is possible), and you (at least I do), go away into a land somewhere that is total absorption of what you (I) am doing. With me it is my painting. And this is why I need to paint every day first thing. My tinnitus is screaming full blast at me now, my toes are having a firework party. But a couple of hours ago while I was painting, my toes behaved and had a quiet rest, and my tinnitus was nowhere to be heard.

But as soon as I finish that painting, the tinnitus creeps back in, and the toes say, hey how about a burning sparking candle party...

I am guessing, I may be wrong, that you have been told to pace yourself (I was with my fibromyalgia), but pacing myself doesn't work for me, I cannot get totally into my painting, and get totally into this Flow state if I have to stop every 20 minutes and change activity, as I was advised to do so, to help the fibromyalgia. I was demented following that advice I was given by a professional. I am an artist, a creative person (whatever that creativity is, it might be writing), and I need to totally absorb into it, for a couple of hours or a lot longer, and I am not aware of the world around me, and the pain has gone and the tinnitus has gone and the toes are having a nice little sleep. The good effect will last a little after the end of the activity but it all comes back, as it has done now.

Distracting yourself by doing a task, like the psychiatrist suggested, is I think the very best thing you can do.

Yes, I think acknowledging the pain helps.

You asked if I struggle to walk. Yes I do. I walk with one or two crutches, a walker, or use my mobility scooter. I can't walk far. I don't have good balance so I need to use them. In the bungalow the door frame attacks my toes. Or chair legs go out of their way to have a meeting with my toes. I cannot stand shoes on, it makes the pain in my toes worse. So I do walk about barefoot at home. But I have no idea my toes are damaged and bleeding. I don't feel it. I look down later in the day and see a smashed toe nail, and drying blood. I didn't feel a thing. It is my big toes that suffer the most and my little toes which look sort of a funny shape now. But I do not feel the pain. I have problems with steps too (hence me moving to a bungalow). Yes I can understand the bouncy castle feeling, but I describe it as the floor having dropped a level and it's not level any more, it is like walking on uneven ground which is sort of rolling.

A stick helps, but with me I need two, and then then floor behaves itself (and no I don't drink!!!!)

I have the same problem with cutting toe nails, and filing them. I have a strong nail file, and I was filing away, when suddenly I realised it was sticky. I couldn't see what I was filing because of manoeuvrability. Blood everywhere. I didn't feel I had filed too far. It took weeks to heal.

You know something Cumbs, we are doing well!!!

You take care as well :)

Reactions: Cumberland

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A very unusual 4.7 this morning. Sad to say that it was because I stuck to 100ml of cream.

I carefully measured 2tsps of cream in each of my coffees. No other cream was consumed. Correction: almost no other cream was consumed.

It is raining this morning - weather warning for snow. Hopefully it won't.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...it's snowing just sat down with my coffee waiting for it to brew opened the curtains & wow...heavy snow raining down huge big fat white flakes covering the roofs of the out buildings but doesn't seem to be settling on the ground yet...like watching a Christmas scene...not a bad sleep and not as snotty or coughy as I have been looking forward to the weekend hoping to be back to normal...numbers still high woke to 6.9 again better than they have been...lets be careful out there.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Mischievous little imp my meter. Displayed 5.1 then conveyed 2 message: .40 new hospitals + streets paved with gold and Order of The Red Star. Obviously the streets paved with gold is a given but sceptical about the rest. Lesser Festival for George Hebert today. @Cumberland and @gennepher huge sympathy for you both but what strong people you both are. @Muddy Cyclist I really liked that drawing - obviously so much my kinda thing. Reminds me of the Edward Thomas poem Tall Nettles. Granddaughter day today:):):) Hope all your numbers are nicely low not hypo and all your pleasures are as high as mine will be.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.2 this morning.

My nurse was very good yesterday as we went thru' my COPD and T2 checkups. Very different from the last nurse as she is a big supporter of LCHF and wanted to see all my blood sugar results on my app. Won't get my HbAc1 results for a week or so but my breathing seems to have held its own since last year.

Today I'm back to see my doc as we begin the exploration of post-polio syndrome and other fun things.

I woke up today thinking about the journey, I've been planetside for 24,033 days inclusive and that's a lot of 'moments' that I can still recall. For nearly 2,000 of those days I was paralysed but I'm sure I spent many more being in love with someone. Hopefully, I spent less time being angry or frustrated with my journey than I did finding bliss in a sunrise or weeping for no other reason than I was happy.

In each of those days, I believed my 'lot' was a permanence defined by the seconds ticking by and it is only in looking back that we see how temporary our situations can be.

Well, for me at least, enjoy your day :)

There is not a right emoji for this, so I pressed the heart, as in for love. The love and help you give out here and elsewhere. Your love of life.

I cannot imagine being paralysed for 2000 days, that is one huge chunk of your life.

This is a beautiful post @OldButBold

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.9 at 4am

My painting for the day...
I did the same one as yesterday that I had done on a pice of 6x4 inch index card yesterday, but today I did it on the A5 sized mixed media paper. These St Petersburg watercolours are not very pigmented. And so the colour kept absorbing into the paper.

It took me well over an hour. You might think why so long? But I am sort of absorbed into it, not aware of time or space or myself, and I look at the clock awhile later when I have stopped, and I wonder where the last hour or much longer went...

Anyway here it is...

DC8577F6-4F9A-4847-882D-1F69655F54E1.jpeg

Take care
Hugs if you would like one from the bottomless basket of hugs

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OMG don’t I sound hopeless, sorry
No not at all Cumberland you don't sound hopeless...I am at a loss finding something to say that would help!...having to cope with this everyday must be incredibly debilitating I sincerely hope the psychiatrist/doctors can offer something to help you cope with the pain & other symptoms try to keep us in the loop when you can.

Reactions: Cumberland

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow some very moving posts and inspirational, gracious, brave and decent people you are @Cumberland @gennepher and @OldButBold. I can only hope and pray for better outcomes and days for you all.
5.8 today, woke hungry so two slices LL toast, tea. @HarryBeau good to hear you are turning the corner. What will the minxes make of the snow I wonder.
@ianpspurs enjoy your day with little grandaughter and hope Julie is feeling better. @Muddy Cyclist thank you, the horses were magnificent as was the forest.
Cold everywhere today so take care out there. Stay well, get better, stay safe.

Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and back to 6 for me today and I have been more diligent than ever with my diet, carbs, no alcohol, will continue to be so and give it time.

Damp here but no snow thank goodness.

Thank you for all your nice comments re my art, you are all very encouraging and it helps to spur me on to paint more.

@Cumberland and @gennepher I am sorry you are having and have had such problems with your feet. I have been reading this with interest as I am concerned about my feet, no where near as bad as you are experiencing, in fact very mild but my toes do hurt with the pressure of bed clothes, often my feet feel numb and tight as though they would explode, Mrs MC massages them and it helps. I am intermittently stumbling and I know it's physical not a light head and so I worry. My foot check did show some problems but I was told they were very mild with a good strong pulse. I suffer with Fibromyalgia, I know what those brain fogs are like. I was put on antidepressants but they just caused me to not function at all, I hated them so stopped taking. I knew a doctor who Mountain Biked and he said Aerobic exercise would help, I realise I am lucky enough to be able to exercise, many aren't and yes it really helps when I get an attack, although hard to get motivated. Of course I have blamed all my foot problems on the Fibromyalgia but now T2 I worry diabetes may be the cause. I was only diagnosed a year ago but know from medical records I had been T2 for 5 years before diagnosis and no one had informed me at the time. There is so much I still don't know and you both posting your experiences gives me a yard stick and lots to consider and research, thank you.

Should get HbA1c results today, fingers crossed.

Keep looking to use your time positively it continues to tick by.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.9 at 4am

My painting for the day...
I did the same one as yesterday that I had done on a pice of 6x4 inch index card yesterday, but today I did it on the A5 sized mixed media paper. These St Petersburg watercolours are not very pigmented. And so the colour kept absorbing into the paper.

It took me well over an hour. You might think why so long? But I am sort of absorbed into it, not aware of time or space or myself, and I look at the clock awhile later when I have stopped, and I wonder where the last hour or much longer went...

Anyway here it is...

View attachment 38973

Take care
Hugs if you would like one from the bottomless basket of hugs
The creativity is wonderful I totally agree with how absorbing the putting paint on to a blank canvas can be. Agree with you about pan paints, I try only to use mine for sketch book watercolours as the colour so easily gets lost in the paper, I always use tubes with good pigment for my 'proper' watercolour painting. Nice art again @gennepher

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good to hear you are turning the corner. What will the minxes make of the snow I wonder.
Both had their eyes pinned on the back door PM...watched to see who if either of them would go out...Charlie tip toed out very gingerly slow steps at first then pirouetted down the garden path at speed...a short tap dance when he came back in to dry his little feet off...Lola wasn't quite brave enough to go out she watched & waited for him to come back in...as he came through the door she fussed over him like he'd been out on some major adventure the returning hero!....I suppose it was for him he looked very smug indeed.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning...it's snowing just sat down with my coffee waiting for it to brew opened the curtains & wow...heavy snow raining down huge big fat white flakes covering the roofs of the out buildings but doesn't seem to be settling on the ground yet...like watching a Christmas scene...not a bad sleep and not as snotty or coughy as I have been looking forward to the weekend hoping to be back to normal...numbers still high woke to 6.9 again better than they have been...lets be careful out there.
so pleased to hear that you are feeling a lot better today - hopefully the lurgy is on the way out.

Reactions: HarryBeau