What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Wojciechu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
upload_2019-11-12_11-0-7.png

That's a 4.0 :D

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs its a pity about your turkey farmer what will you go for instead!
We do have a spare haunch of venison but not sure the babes will go for that. No 3 son is offering to host Christmas day for 14 due to it being his daughter's first Christmas (Grandad provides meat, wine and spirits - apparently that is the acceptable face of OK boomer, let the kids drive) and potentially us either moving that week or being all boxed up and ready to go. Meat choice is out to vote for all 14 - in the past we have had choice of 3 or 4 on offer (Turkey, Goose, Lamb and Porcetta ) but one year had a 6 rib beef joint which may see a return according to vote. Grandson will have anything we can work apple sauce into so some pork may also appear or I just buy a jar of apple sauce whatever meat we have.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Between a rock and a hard place in much of the worlds politics but more worrying is that two main British Parties are either going to far to the left or to the right, what happened to the middle of the road Labour or Conservative politicians? Stormy times ahead I fear.
Not always a huge fan of trending phrases but this current crop of politicos and reality tv chancers highlight one thing. We are deep into the era where people need to say loudly and often, Ok boomers, let the kids drive. We crashed the car, pooed the bed, torched the building and blamed everyone else who we now want to pay all the bills while we come over all censorious about Millenials choice of coffee and daring to want smashed avocado on sourdough.

Last edited:

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
mojo that's not a terrible number for a weekend away...I didn't let up with the carbs when I visited friends & family on Saturday...now I'm right back on track you'll be fine after a day or two at home.
Yes I m going to get back on track when I get home . It’s been too difficult to keep my carbs low whilst up here ( Edinburgh) with daughter friends nights out etc . Not impossible but would have made it more difficult all round .

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All I can say I say thank goodness I detest Baileys, sounds like it could spoil good Cauliflower IMO. :joyful:

What @Debandez mentioned Doc Unwin advised against Oils in spreads got me searching. I never use spreads so that's not a problem, we cook with Olive Oil mostly and Rapeseed Oil for stir frying veg, never deep fry anything. I am trying to establish why not to use Rapeseed Oil. Other than the awful fields of the plant I find much conflicting good/bad reports, can anyone throw any light on why it's bad for diabetics?

I think that maybe you could look at a couple of things;
Ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 that is good for you (some people say 4:1, some 1:4 but I would probably hanker for 2:1 as you need that sort of ratio on transmitter and receptor cells in brain and central nervous system - you could also look up myelin if you really have nothing better to do).
Can a human chemistry set convert ALA (alpha linoleic acid found in plant based oils) into useable EPA and DHA

The three common omega fats are;
Omega-3 - double bond on 3rd and 4th carbon atom - ALA in plants and EPA and DHA in animals - we are rubbish at using ALA as our chemistry set can’t easily convert it to yummy EPA and DHA.
Omega-6 - Linoleic Acid - too much of this makes you fat and processed food is chocker block with it.
Omega-9 - Oleic acid - think olive oil - nice - but not really germain to the Omega-6 to Omega-3 balance.

I use fats from the following:
Butter
Lard
Duck fat
Olive oil.

Reactions: ianpspurs

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We do have a spare haunch of venison but not sure the babes will go for that. No 3 son is offering to host Christmas day for 14 due to it being his daughter's first Christmas (Grandad provides meat, wine and spirits - apparently that is the acceptable face of OK boomer, let the kids drive) and potentially us either moving that week or being all boxed up and ready to go. Meat choice is out to vote for all 14 - in the past we have had choice of 3 or 4 on offer (Turkey, Goose, Lamb and Porcetta ) but one year had a 6 rib beef joint which may see a return according to vote. Grandson will have anything we can work apple sauce into so some pork may also appear or I just buy a jar of apple sauce whatever meat we have.
That all sounds really lovely. With so many of you choice of meats work. Its funny that your grandson has to have apple sauce! We always have a free range turkey crown (nobody likes the dark meat) and a large gammon that I cook on Christmas Eve. Since our parents are no longer with us we eat at about 5pm in candlelight and me and No 1 son doing plates of tasty bites (not supermarket party food) from about 11.30am so we skip a starter. We miss MIL so much but she always wanted to be “done and dusted “ before the Queen’s speech which we went along with. Good luck with the move.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All. @gennepher hope you and Popeye stay cosy today.
@PenguinMum
Hope the two girls purr and make up!

Popeye and I are under an electric blanket!

He has just peeked his head out...

131E0F4B-25D0-4AA8-91AE-B790A8BDA0AC.jpeg

He has disappeared under the covers now and I need to brave the cold to reach the kitchen to make a coffee...

You have a warm day :)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that we are having Christmas Dinner a la German this year (on Christmas Eve) as our children and grandchildren are doing same and then coming up on the afternoon of Christmas Day. Meat choices therefor are not going to be using the complex voting system of past years. Never keen on turkey - not even as a holiday destination - pork sounds like a good idea and perhaps a duck.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not always a huge fan of trending phrases but this current crop of politicos and reality tv chancers highlight one thing. We are deep into the era where people need to say loudly and often, Ok boomers, let the kids drive. We crashed the car, pooed the bed, torched the building and blamed everyone else who we now want to pay all the bills.

There will always be loads of people trying to make us all scared sh**less
I did find it amusing to see loads of climate change warriors (allegedly) littering streets, parks and diving into fast food outlets for their amazing planet changing meals. Perhaps we should all charter a yacht and sail across the ocean instead of using our private jets.

Reactions: gennepher

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone, well what’s left of it. Up later than usual and had to fly round the house like a dervish for my 8 to 9 250 and then carry on for the 9 to 10 crop. What a palaver.

The wonder wheel forgetting something in town yesterday and having to walk back again spat out a beige coloured 5.4 this am.

Loving the references to the TV programmes of my childhood and wonderful to see that so many of them were actually in colour - my brother will be astounded when I tell him.
Interesting looking up references to Romans and folk with names not now current in baby naming books today. Never stop learning but do not carry with you your mistakes. Do not carry your cares.

I received my certificate and badge yesterday for this years Royal British Legion Riders Branch Non-Attendance Rally. This year it will be held at the End Of The Rainbow but I fear that, once again, I will not be attending. It’s a fund raiser for the Poppy Appeal, a bit of fun. My certificate will be framed and hung in the Pirate Room (the downstairs loo) with other trivia and nonsense (apart from the shelf containing Terry Pratchet novels - all hail the Gods of Small Things).

Koffy - have a great day if you can. Who exactly is Cauliflower Bailey?
I wouldn’t say no to a beige coloured 5.4 lol

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There will always be loads of people trying to make us all scared sh**less
I did find it amusing to see loads of climate change warriors (allegedly) littering streets, parks and diving into fast food outlets for their amazing planet changing meals. Perhaps we should all charter a yacht and sail across the ocean instead of using our private jets.
Not just the climate point. Current political dogmas are regifting 50 year old failed ideas with 3rd X1 team captains.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A not too shabby 6.1 but hopefully back in the 5,s by the weekend . Got blood tests on thrusday so with my FBG being much better over the last month to 6 weeks I should have a lower hbac 1 . It was 69 in may .

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A not too shabby 6.1 but hopefully back in the 5,s by the weekend . Got blood tests on thrusday so with my FBG being much better over the last month to 6 weeks I should have a lower hbac 1 . It was 69 in may .
Good luck with the HBA1c on Thursday hope you get a pleasant surprise.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the rape seed oil/vegetable oil idea is covered here
Thanks, very informative and given me lots to think about, I was never interested in biology before my Type 2 diagnosis, my wife was she did a biochemistry degree, but went above my head., but know I find it fascinating.

I think that maybe you could look at a couple of things;
Ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 that is good for you (some people say 4:1, some 1:4 but I would probably hanker for 2:1 as you need that sort of ratio on transmitter and receptor cells in brain and central nervous system - you could also look up myelin if you really have nothing better to do).
Can a human chemistry set convert ALA (alpha linoleic acid found in plant based oils) into useable EPA and DHA

The three common omega fats are;
Omega-3 - double bond on 3rd and 4th carbon atom - ALA in plants and EPA and DHA in animals - we are rubbish at using ALA as our chemistry set can’t easily convert it to yummy EPA and DHA.
Omega-6 - Linoleic Acid - too much of this makes you fat and processed food is chocker block with it.
Omega-9 - Oleic acid - think olive oil - nice - but not really germain to the Omega-6 to Omega-3 balance.

I use fats from the following:
Butter
Lard
Duck fat
Olive oil.

Really greatful for this information. now to put it all to use.

Christmas sorted for us, at my son's instead of the usual Pub Meal so leaving meat choice to him but I guess he will go for beef. Only down side is Mrs MC and I will be sleeping in our VW Camper Christmas Eve, luckily his Cottage is remote and he's got a large garden so parking no problem, but the inside of his cottage lacks space. Still we might get to see the arrival of Father Christmas when he parks his reindeer and sledge on the lawn.

Reactions: DJC3

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A belated good morning, a 4.9 greeted me today, burst tyre last night travelling to the gym so no training and emergency call at the tyre centre this morning, £186 lighter and two new tyres later back on the road again. Hugs to all that need it and massive well done to you all.

Take care everyone.