What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Visualisation is very interesting @ianpspurs. Athletes also use it to improve their performance.
I use visualisation when on my spin bike, headphones on and imagine I am somewhere totally different to the cramped garage with a car, treadmill, mini bounder and recumberant bike (as well as spin bike) in. I have had many "funny" and "distressed" looks from Hermes/Postman as I have to have negotiate the garage door which results with it being open! I am too engrossed and I really do have to visualise being somewhere else otherwise the embarrassment is too much - for all that see!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The nurses yesterday were complaining of shortages in fairly basic equipment and drugs - they have had to buy paracetamol out of their own pocket before (expenses process doesn't work/pharmacy won't accept the forms) -
Gave a hug cos no 'angrily mortified on their behalf ' emoji available.

Heck of a country we now live in

Good luck to @gennepher & any others needing meds.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use visualisation when on my spin bike, headphones on and imagine I am somewhere totally different to the cramped garage with a car, treadmill, mini bounder and recumberant bike (as well as spin bike) in. I have had many "funny" and "distressed" looks from Hermes/Postman as I have to have negotiate the garage door which results with it being open! I am too engrossed and I really do have to visualise being somewhere else otherwise the embarrassment is too much - for all that see!
I used to do that when practicing in the swimming pool here

Not the best swimmer back then, not much improved compared to the missus who literally could be a fishwife, the way she effortlessly glides through water out toward open sea, the depth of which gives me nightmares just thinking about.

Each lap took me closer to an imagined rock I picked from a holiday.

Eventually managed it the next year .

On a not dissimilar note, when I began exercising post DX, I ran on the spot in the house ..boring but music & a will, I enjoyed it.

A quick Google showed others used 1st person videos of runs at beach, forests etc.

Velcro strips, and the Kindle fire showing vids and I was running in Barcelona & on the promenades of the words best beaches ..much better.

Who needs pelaton when you got guile & imagination.. :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!

Not the best swimmer back then, not much improved compared to the missus who literally could be a fishwife, the way she effortlessly glides through water out toward open sea, the depth of which gives me nightmares just thinking about.

On a not dissimilar note, when I began exercising post DX, I ran on the spot in the house ..boring but music & a will, I enjoyed it.

A quick Google showed others used 1st person videos of runs at beach, forests etc.

Velcro strips, and the Kindle fire showing vids and I was running in Barcelona & on the promenades of the words best beaches ..much better.

Who needs pelaton when you got guile & imagination.. :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:
Exactly!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I used visualisations very much in the 70's and 80's. The Silva method was one. I had all the books on this stuff then. Sold them in the 90's and went on to other visualisations.

I wouldn't mind looking at them again...perhaps the Internet Archive would have copies?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Thank you Ian.
I did eventually.
I am absolutely no good out in the freezing cold rain ...it gets me right through to the bone, even if I am adequately wrapped up.
Me too @gennepher . I feel the cold terribly and take ages to warm up. It took MrSlim a while to realise that before any impulsive winter excursion it was neccessary for me to have a warm coat, hat, scarf, and gloves.. otherwise i would just be miserable.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
They would drive me demented @SlimLizzy
As you can see I like a difficult puzzle.
Sorry for the out of focus pic. It was a map of Old LondonTown. I think this jigsaw is somewhere near thirty five to forty years old. Some of the pieces have obviously been chewed on by a cat. MrSlim and i have been together for thirty two years. I hadnt had a cat since the children were very small. And the puzzle would have been second hand then.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me too @gennepher . I feel the cold terribly and take ages to warm up. It took MrSlim a while to realise that before any impulsive winter excursion it was neccessary for me to have a warm coat, hat, scarf, and gloves.. otherwise i would just be miserable.
I seem to have caught a cold @SlimLizzy by getting cold two days running...
Maybe I ought to try the visualisation...

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I do the same when I am on my exercise bike - I visualise I am riding it in the Loire Valley or Northumberland. Much more interesting than my living room.

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there Folks.

A bit more fresh this morning, pre-dawn breaking. Great news overnight about the Orange Dotard. Sorry for oppressed people in the other news.

FBG 8.0 mmol at 0645. Had a big carbs supper, and 40g of dark chocolate, so at least I know the current limits. That is the whole point of the monitoring.

Weight falling on the "dry" regime.

Have a good day.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I miss not seeing Derek on here early...

Last night, I suddenly felt a lot worse.
Really bad as though the life force had drained out of me.
My nose was the Niagara Falls.
Then I remembered the bottle of whisky J bought me about 17 years ago...for medicinal purposes.
So, whisky, hot water and honey.
Sipped that. Fell asleep for 4 solid hours.

Temperature 35C this morning. SAT levels 98. So that seems all okay. But FBG was 7.8
But by the time I had eaten a small cold brekkie, fed the cats who were in the kitchen....I was ready for bed again...

Drinking a coffee, got a flask of tea next to me, some SD cards to edit, but I feel like dozing again.

I'll finish the coffee...

EDIT I wrote this 4 hours ago...and promptly fell asleep before I posted it...
2nd EDIT My coffee and cream is now stone cold, but the flask of tea is obviously still hot...

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
0415 today - BG 10.6. Don't know what that's about.

My cleaner is coming today - she's been off work for several weeks due to surgery which turned out to be more invasive than she had anticipated. She phoned yesterday to say she would be able to come today. I wanted to make sure she really is fit to be working but she says it's OK. I know she could do with the money so don't want to turn her offer down. On the other hand I don't want her to hurt herself.

Anyway, I've made my bed (not easy with the way my legs and back are feeling) and put all the things off the floor onto the bed. Need to get things out of the dishwasher and refill it ready for tonight's wash.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss not seeing Derek on here early...

Last night, I suddenly felt a lot worse.
Really bad as though the life force had drained out of me.
My nose was the Niagara Falls.
Then I remembered the bottle of whisky J bought me about 17 years ago...for medicinal purposes.
So, whisky, hot water and honey.
Sipped that. Fell asleep for 4 solid hours.

Temperature 35C this morning. SAT levels 98. So that seems all okay. But FBG was 7.8
But by the time I had eaten a small cold brekkie, fed the cats who were in the kitchen....I was ready for bed again...

Drinking a coffee, got a flask of tea next to me, some SD cards to edit, but I feel like dozing again.

I'll finish the coffee...

EDIT I wrote this 4 hours ago...and promptly fell asleep before I posted it...
2nd EDIT My coffee and cream is now stone cold, but the flask of tea is obviously still hot...
Take it easy @gennepher. When I feel like this I drag myself up and wander or shuffle round the house to give my body some movement, put the chimp inside my head back in it’s box and put my brain in a happy place.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Bit of a blast from the past getting a bit retro in my old age.

Splashed out on a teasmade the other day so get a cup of tea or coffee in the morning without the need to struggle down the stairs to the kitchen handy, thing is that it has a tea now button so you don’t have to wait for it to make a cup at the programmed time if you don’t want.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone on a chirpy start to the day here in the dark and dangerous north. 5.9 on the rollercoaster gom jabbar as grumpy liver shot for the stars. The Ninky Nonks are up and sitting at the dining table having breakfast - no sign yet of Little Miss Pamplemouse who, at 9 years old is far too sensible to be up at the crack of dawn like her younger siblings. The sun is shining and there is the prospect of going to a rugby match, two of our nephews play for Middlesbrough and they are at home today. Art bit, a bit more. Hope your day brings a smile or two. I have finished my koffy and there are calls for toast!

1708161406007.jpeg