What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, my thoughts towards the criticisers of that scheme @Annb is that I hope they (don't) need something like that in their lonely dependent old age...my thoughts are not exactly 'peace be with you' for those kind people at the moment who think that because the disabled elderly people are in a minority, and thus they don't matter...so they can cut costs.....
I have to agree that it stings to hear that people think that way. After all - there but for the grace of God ... and even if they never needed it themselves, it is rather heartless. We were a fairly resilient bunch though - had to be get survive this far - so we'll cope. Just wondering if the few of us could get together and pay a fee for Kirsty to run it from home, though I suspect there may be some insurance issues connected to that idea.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to agree that it stings to hear that people think that way. After all - there but for the grace of God ... and even if they never needed it themselves, it is rather heartless. We were a fairly resilient bunch though - had to be get survive this far - so we'll cope. Just wondering if the few of us could get together and pay a fee for Kirsty to run it from home, though I suspect there may be some insurance issues connected to that idea.
I think that is worth a try @Annb
I would ask Kirsty what she might be prepared to do in this situation. My thoughts are to ask her as soon as possible before she loses that momentum of actually doing the course, or dismantles, or gets rid of stuff or paperwork. Then approach others to see if they want to continue with new arrangements. Kirsty may be able to come up with something else/different that you had not thought of. Talking can open new avenues....

Yes, I imagine there could be insurance involved.

But, used to do reiki and if I laid hands on people to do reiki, I needed insurance, but if I did long distance reiki, that can be as close a proximity as a metre (as well as miles from the person) around the person, no insurance was needed. Does the same/similar apply doing this over Zoom? Because you do not need the insurances involved in renting a church hall for example.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, my thoughts towards the criticisers of that scheme @Annb is that I hope they (don't) need something like that in their lonely dependent old age...my thoughts are not exactly 'peace be with you' for those kind people at the moment who think that because the disabled elderly people are in a minority, and thus they don't matter...so they can cut costs.....
Elderly disabled people are usually able bodied people at different stages of their life journey but anyhow disabled lives are not just able-bodied lives lived incorrectly link.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Had another cross town trip on the Ebike @Lamont D ...
So took a pic of the serpentine for you .

Home to st Mary's & back.
(Circa a leisurely 25 mins)

Eye for Feb cancelled, some issue with an echo cardiogram not done within time limit.

So got that done yesterday (gent doing reported no visible issues, but I obv still have to that officially)

Hopefully op goes ahead on my new late June date.

Anyway, the serpentine... looking east
(previous pic site would have been far right side of pic)

* Small tip for those wanting to post pics, but finding it's too big for forum.

I used to use a resizer, but now I just screenshot THAT pic, and post that screenshot.

Every time it's just worked.

Downside is it lacks some quality, but hardly noticeable for such purposes )

View attachment 67665
It's a lot bigger from there than I remember.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and any others are ploughing their own furrow. Read into that as you want.

Blood sugars this morning were 6.1, this was at that instant in time.

Read no further if you are ov a squeamish disposition and sensitive.
Last Friday the 10th of May me, me’s and myself had a meeting with a plastic surgeon and his fellow theatre staff where they removed a skin cancer lump from my eyebrow and took a section ov skin from my neck and grafted it onto and into my eyebrow. Obviously me, me’s and myself are still bandaged up. I would liked to have written plastered up, but the word plastered has many meanings.

This is now the 3rd time since since November 2023 that I have had lumps removed, but this last session was the most complicated. All these operations were carried out under local anaesthetic and believe it or not the banter that went on between the plastic surgeon, theatre staff and myself during and after the operation was most enjoyable, defusing the tension and stress for all.

Being a liver transplant patient ov over 30 years I am fairly used to medical procedures and the oddities ov NHS staff and also the side effects ov the medication me, me’s and myself have to take.
These skin cancer lumps are a side effect ov anti rejection drugs which starts off as solar keratosis and over time developes into skin cancer.

This is a small price to pay because organ transplants work and enable many transplantees to return to normal productive life. Another effect ov having undergone such an operation is the lack ov tolerance for the absurdities that are propagated by certain sections ov the population. Again read into that as you want.

Now this is an over long post, I’m not apologising you chose to read it and were warned. If you don’t mind it’s time for my afternoon nap.

Stay safe and avoid a rather long haired, bandaged, obese and grumpy motorcyclist who has been banned from riding his motorcycle for at least 4 weeks and also banned from woodworking for a few weeks by his evil, domineering wife Mrs J

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Morning all from a Gordon Lightfoot start to day two of exam season here in L.A. @gennepher thank you for sharing the creatives yesterday and today despite the horrible day yesterday or perhaps you felt the need to create because of the day. Enjoy a mad day today. @Krystyna23040 I wouldn't vac bag the winter woolies just yet - sometimes the snow comes down in June as per Vanessa./Bisto add. @dunelm great fbg and thank you for sharing today's art. @Annb yesterday sounds like a busy but productive day. Have I missed the installation of the final radiator? @jjraak optimistic news on the eye and new date for the op. Wonderful photo of the Serpentine. Eric is a busy lad this week. Is it wrong of me to want Spurs to lose tonight? Enjoy Tuesday or parts thereof.
so , so wrong, where is your loyalty?
you just have to be professional about the performance.
accept what the outcome will be.
man city are rsmpant, so you may get your wish.
I don't care who wins, as long as it's not.......!

short story.......
when your lot visited PP in the cup, they brought with them, a piece of furniture.
it was a cabinet with a fifty inch monitor inside.
The problem was it wouldn't even go into the dressing room at all. And the room only had one double plug.
The staff were constantly asking for access to power and equipment that only a premier league club would require.
The boot bags were a vision of jealousy for me and of course many of our staff and players.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
6.3 on the day after tomorrow Tuesday.
A lot better today, I did get more sleep, but still tired.
Plenty of energy, to do the daily stuff.
I am so anxious, I may have to change my sleeping habits to suit Mrs L.
I have no choice I believe, Mrs L has sleep issues that are not conducive to mine.

It has been really bouncing down overnight and constantly most of the morning, got my hair wet going the shops!!!

Gotta cut this short as Mrs L requires my presence.
Kettle on, etc.
Best......

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and any others are ploughing their own furrow. Read into that as you want.

Last Friday the 10th of May me, me’s and myself had a meeting with a plastic surgeon and his fellow theatre staff where they removed a skin cancer lump from my eyebrow and took a section ov skin from my neck and grafted it onto and into my eyebrow. Obviously me, me’s and myself are still bandaged up. I would liked to have written plastered up, but the word plastered has many meanings.

This is now the 3rd time since since November 2023 that I have had lumps removed, but this last session was the most complicated. All these operations were carried out under local anaesthetic and believe it or not the banter that went on between the plastic surgeon, theatre staff and myself during and after the operation was most enjoyable, defusing the tension and stress for all.

Being a liver transplant patient ov over 30 years I am fairly used to medical procedures and the oddities ov NHS staff and also the side effects ov the medication me, me’s and myself have to take.
These skin cancer lumps are a side effect ov anti rejection drugs which starts off as solar keratosis and over time developes into skin cancer.

This is a small price to pay because organ transplants work and enable many transplantees to return to normal productive life. Another effect ov having undergone such an operation is the lack ov tolerance for the absurdities that are propagated by certain sections ov the population. Again read into that as you want.

Now this is an over long post, I’m not apologising you chose to read it and were warned. If you don’t mind it’s time for my afternoon nap.

Stay safe and avoid a rather long haired, bandaged, obese and grumpy motorcyclist who has been banned from riding his motorcycle for at least 4 weeks and also banned from woodworking for a few weeks by his evil, domineering wife Mrs J
More hugs for you @alf_Josiah

Perhaps you could take up painting to pass the time Alf...
I am just trying to get some more artists on this thread!!!!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just heard from Kirsty - it's all about finance and, apparently, there has been some criticism by the public that the scheme is an unnecessary expense since it supports only a few, elderly, disabled people. That's life, I'm afraid.
Hmm! I wonder who funds it? Local govt or a charity? Perhaps some mass action, talk to local presss, find alternative funding. If it’s all done by zoom then perhaps it just needs to pay for Kirsty and cover her insurance - and use the free zoom - 40 min sessions for up to 100 participants - our family used it during lockdown and at the end of the 40 min you can just close it down and then open it up again.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Well that seemed to go well but I expect you will be somewhat battered and bruised. The hug was for not being able to get out on your bike for what sounds like forever!

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I now know it is so true!
We old codgers, love to moan.
And what is more, about our own failings .
Not only in our circumstances, but more likely to moan about our health.
It can sometimes be like a competitive discussion.
A debate on who's state of health is or has been more worser, more painful, more dramatic, more different, more medical procedures, more likely to be life changing.
Then the positive impact of having said (moaned) about it all.
How we are moving forward and looking after ourselves until the next pain, the next symptoms, the next accident, the next appointment.
I salute all of you!
You lot are incredible super heroes.
So excuse my moaning from this old codger please?

Fish for fea, bloods for Mrs L and myself Thursday.
Aaaaagggghhhhh!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I do hope you are feeling better, it will be worth it.
just nod, and then find something else not to do.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had a lovely few hours in my back garden, actually in what was my original vegetable container garden. There is wild stuff growing in the pots, a lot of it edible. And my tree kale and tree broccoli is still growing. Main job was to repot a 15' to 20' Eucalyptus tree.

Well that was impossible. It needed 2 or 3 people. But I don't do impossible. Had a nap, then inspiration struck. I pulled the tree over sideways to the ground. Rolled it over and over until it came out of its root bound pot. Got new bigger pot, got the root bound solid earth and slid the bigger light weight pot over it. And put it upright. But then I had difficulty and couldn't let the tree go, because there was no earth in the pot.

I nearly came unstuck here. The Eucalyptus tree decided it wanted to have a battle with my electric overhead cable to the garage. And then it wanted to grab some tiles off my bungalow roof. I thought it had, but my phone on a stick showed me the roof tiles were intact...phew.

Eucalyptus tree and pot is now wedged in place. Tied to a metal pole so it can't do the waving in the wind thing.

And I have had a lovely relaxing healing day.

And no Anglo Saxon words were spoken by me today, not even when the Eucalyptus tree was misbehaving....

Time to clear up for the nighttime beasties. New batteries and SD cards in the trail cameras. And lock up. And my eyes are a little tired...

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I am so sorry @SlimLizzy
I said a few naughty words on your behalf. I know it doesn't help but I'm thinking of similar situations that happened for me...
Park all your upset and frustrations in a room in your mind, and lock it. Throw the key away. And deal with just the here and now, the present moment...
Went to the birthday lunch. Good distraction, trying to keep up with politics being discussed in french. I even managed to laugh at a couple of amusing comments before they were translated. So in a much better mood when Son2 phoned. We had quite a long chat and I was able to explain why I had been so upset. All good between us now. ♥️♥️
Otherwise been very busy in the garden and house. MrSlim has decided well we have agreed to get a valuation sometime soon. Around the end of the month.
So preparation neccessary.
Social life kicked off again with garden visit ( plus lunch) two individual lunches and a cheese and wine tasting evening on Friday. Next week similar, but not quite as hectic ( or expensive)
We enjoyed several beautiful sunny days, planted out some vegetables and then persuaded MrSlim to help me with renovating our cheese bed which was collapsing into the centre. So called because of its shape - its actually supposed to be a keyhole, but due to a translation error the round place for the key was missed out.
This involved removing all the herbs, taking down several layers of the stones, (granite - far too heavy for me) rebuilding, filling with a vast amount of extra soil and replanting with the herbs in a different configuration. Very hot and heavy work.
As a side project, collecting all the snails and slugs discovered in a pot with a plate on top to keep the pests in. Planned to dispose of them by donating to friend with chickens. However during the overnight rain the little beggars managed to push the lid off and because it was still on top of the newly rebuilt walls around the cheese bed, to return to their hiding places. So much for pest control. After this irritating discovery went around peering into the crevices and recaptured about a quarter of them... and a lot more slugs than had been previously captured. For some reason we had caught about a hundred snails and only three large slugs. Since then with the weather turning wet again there are slugs everywhere. But very few snails. Do they only come out once it's dark?
TBC.
Catching up on other posts now.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I think I'm in a group of one here. Idon't like the cold and love warmer climes.
Me too @Lamont D warmth is good. I really feel the cold and find it difficult to do or enjoy anything if I am too cold. It took MrSlim several years to understand that it was no use taking me anywhere in winter without adequate clothing. Boots, hat, scarf, gloves and several layers were actually neccessary and the five minute delay caused by my lack of spontaneity was the better option than having me miserable and wanting to go home, because of inadequate clòthing for the weather.

Last edited: