What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I’ve often found sommeliers a sniffy lot anyway, unless you order the most expensive stuff.
@DJC3 Don't you find they are easily put off by asking them if they agree with Oz and Jancis that X and Y vineyard are losing their touch? Works every time for me;) Also talking at the table about the latest wines you bought from Berry Bros and Lay and Wheeler makes them back off!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mick1959

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs yes your quite right as a one off it was probably OK and it was good that she enjoyed the day./

@JohnEGreen and @Granny_grump family meals and celebrations are a balancing act.
That is what my sons have ordered for Thursday as a present for my wife's birthday! Scroll down to the tasting menu. https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/cadd820c/files/uploaded/Janfebmenu18.pdf I can hardly say no thanks. Friday fbg will be fun as I need to drive both ways so balancing with wine will be out. I also wonder how my 88 year old Mother In Law will deal with that many courses! @DJC3 might not be able to talk my way out of those wine choices they look right to me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Granny_grump_

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs what a delicious looking menu! Looks pretty carb friendly too for the most part - presume its the mini cheeseboard for you?
Wine looks lovely, enjoy every sip.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
@JohnEGreen and @Granny_grump family meals and celebrations are a balancing act.
That is what my sons have ordered for Thursday as a present for my wife's birthday! Scroll down to the tasting menu. https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/cadd820c/files/uploaded/Janfebmenu18.pdf I can hardly say no thanks. Friday fbg will be fun as I need to drive both ways so balancing with wine will be out. I also wonder how my 88 year old Mother In Law will deal with that many courses! @DJC3 might not be able to talk my way out of those wine choices they look right to me!
Hi@ianspurs The menu looks great wouldn't like to bet what your BG will be day after! Haha! K
Just enjoy it it's a celebration .K

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Granny_grump_ Well for my part today apart from FBG has not been too bad back down to the 5's now.

Wasn't able to celebrate my son's birthday on the 4th of April as he is still in SI but he is back in the UK later this year about July so am thinking of doing something then and also celebrating having two generations of my family both starting at university at the same time Keiran my grandson at Lincoln University studying economics and son at Blackfriers college Oxford studying philosophy and theology. Am planning a return visit to Zizzi's.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hope you're going for 8 courses

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey @ianspurs, going back to your fermented foods bit... I am thinking of starting to make sauerkraut- I’m buying it at the moment but I believe most of the goodness is lost in pasteurisation- and I cannot find unpasteurised any where. Fruit chutney sounds good.
To everybody- hoooowwww looonnngggg does it take to lower blood glucose to normal?? It seems to be going so slowly. I was diagnosed in Feb and started working on it - increased exercise, lowered carbs( now substantially) I’ve gone from 12’s before food to in the 6’s and sometimes 5’s I’m now officially lchf and everyday discover things I can’t eat to stay under 100 then 50g carbs. It makes me a little I’m trying so hard but it’s so slow. Then when I get to my goal (4 mmol regularly) it’s like this forever!!! I’m sad coz I think I have to ( hopefully temporarily) cut the 5 baby plum tomatoes from my lunch and replace with bloody cucumber and celery. I know this is petty but I’m a bit tired of cutting out stuff to get the carb numbers down. Sorry I had to get that out to people who understand. I’m having a pity party aren’t I?

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this is petty but I’m a bit tired of cutting out stuff to get the carb numbers down. Sorry I had to get that out to people who understand. I’m having a pity party aren’t I?
Nope, perfectly understandable. What gave you a target of the 4s? When is your next HbA1c and do you know your "running average"? Cucumber you say - in my first 3 months I had some cucumber for all 3 meals and still have it at least once a day. It is a staple filler of mine bulks up meals for next to no carbs and calories. We buy about 12 per week!

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had one hba1c at diagnosis end Feb- 78 I just had another one a bit early as I have a clinic to attend and they wanted current(a month early so I’m not expecting a big change. I am aiming for 4’s as 4 to 7 is normal and I want it as low as poss! Is this unrealistic? Running average... well it lowers a tiny bit every day so I don’t think I have hit a proper baseline or average yet. And thanks for the cucumber bit. I’m enjoying the fats part but the low carb is such a drastic change and I MISS THE CARBS lol they’re so instantly gratifying- I know this is bad but it feels so good lol thanks for a moment of sympathy you’ve no idea how much I appreciate it- I will pass it on to another sad soul missing carbs one day lol

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m feeling as frustrated as you @flexi06, got off to a good start but now having to cut more and more out, but the numbers are still not coming down. I can’t stand cucumber either so can’t even fill up with that.

I guess we just have to accept we are in this for the long game and keep on keeping on.

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes DJC3 thank you- and I feel your pain. Yes the long game - but at least we have each other - how great this form is ( and how great it’s supportive and knowledgeable members) we can make it DJC3 x

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess we just have to accept we are in this for the long game and keep on keeping on.
I guess I was partly lucky in being a very stubborn so and so. Telling me diabetes was usually progressive and I wouldn't get my bg down in 3 months was a proper challenge to look them in the eye with a proper f you look! You do adapt but I love Tom Kerridge's attitude - "you mean I can meat, cheese, eggs, fish and not fill up with stodge?"
@flexi06 tomatoes are a huge part of my diet I count 10 cherry tomatoes as 4 carbs despite Dr Bernstein.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@flexi06 "Running average... well it lowers a tiny bit every day so I don’t think I have hit a proper baseline or average yet." I take 5 readings a day and have a continual running average. My HbA1C average since dx is 5.67 and 3 years worth of those averages is 5.67. My current 3 month running average is 5.43. When I have odd readings that kind of data is very reassuring. May be worth a shot.

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like ur way of thinking and doing @ianspurs. I was doing 7 a day but recently changed to 3 as my (always same thing) lunch never makes it go up and I am running low in strips- gotta buy some more off eBay from somebody who is prescribed them but does not use them(grrrr) but how do I work out an average please? R u putting that info into some sort of program? Ian can you spare another moment to answer several linked questions I cannot find an answer to? With regards to dawn phenomenon, if it’s a normal body process - how can we lower it and if we lower it, is it harmful? Does everyone get dp?

Reactions: ziggy_w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
but how do I work out an average please? R u putting that info into some sort of program? Ian can you spare another moment to answer several linked questions I cannot find an answer to? With regards to dawn phenomenon, if it’s a normal body process - how can we lower it and if we lower it, is it harmful? Does everyone get dp?
With regards to the average, I use a spreadsheet - the free googledocs one in my case; Not sure about dawn phenomenon as my fasting average for past 3 years is 5.5 against an overall 5.6; this current 3 months it is 5.31 vs 5.34 overall. My "worst performer" is breakfast or where that would be as I am mostly IF with no breakfast now. Hope that helps - many others have ways of dealing with DP but the best I can manage is light cardio after initial 2-3 pints of tea first thing.

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Ian I am also now IF - started missing breakfast and found it easy surprisingly- also gives me time to walk instead of eat in my brek break at work. Thanx for the answers - ur a star