What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @shelley262 I thought cauliflower cheese which happens to be my favourite carvery item apart from the meat wouldn't be the culprit. I'm leaving off the sausage n gravy next time crossing everything their cauliflower cheese will be kind to me :)
Think there must have been flour used to make the sauce in the one that raised my bgs they also often use milk. Bit different to my usual lots of double cream @nd strong cheese that I make at home

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You’re right. But I’m still nervous- can’t help it. Want some good news before my holiday. Thank you.
The nerves element is the worse bit it goes right back there emotionally to those exam results! You’ve no doubt got a mysugr prediction and I know it can go up and down from this but I’m certain you’ll have made a lot of progress and then it’s down to avoiding celebrating with those Cornish pasties!

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Out of hospital. No more white toast with jam for breakfast .. so I have a few notes, the choices available are not exactly diabetes friendly but I was able to choose accordingly and to be fair I didn’t want to eat! Since I’ve been home I lost 9 lb in my hospital week but 4 days were nil by mouth. I’m back to intermittent fasting and relearning a diet schedule without a gall bladder wish me luck 6.2 tonight

@Goacher55
Wishing for you a speedy recovery
Please have plenty of rest

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Take care @Goacher55 As I said earlier, we helped a friend recover from same op. We have no stairs and we both retired so could help all day. It still took a couple of weeks before she could return home on her own.
I’m already disabled following strokes when I was 23, so it’s a learning curve of how to do the things I usually struggle with having only one useful arm which has a torn rotor cuff too. Thank you love I’ll take it day by day luckily have my retired but still active dad nearby.
Thank you! I know every case is different but I can feel a difference every day.

Reactions: Cumberland and DJC3

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
The nerves element is the worse bit it goes right back there emotionally to those exam results! You’ve no doubt got a mysugr prediction and I know it can go up and down from this but I’m certain you’ll have made a lot of progress and then it’s down to avoiding celebrating with those Cornish pasties!

I'm having a pasty! Whatever my score is I'm having at least half of one while I'm there (I may share it with my boy).
I've made a list of Cornish carby treats on offer and what I will and won't allow myself occasionally on my hols:

Pasty - yes
Fish in batter - yes
Chips - no
Beer - the odd pint yes
Ice cream - no
Scone - maybe half with cream but with fresh berries instead of jam
Cider - no

Holiday rules for two weeks only.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm having a pasty! Whatever my score is I'm having at least half of one while I'm there (I may share it with my boy).
I've made a list of Cornish carby treats on offer and what I will and won't allow myself occasionally on my hols:

Pasty - yes
Fish in batter - yes
Chips - no
Beer - the odd pint yes
Ice cream - no
Scone - maybe half with cream but with fresh berries instead of jam
Cider - no

Holiday rules for two weeks only.
Going near Padstow? I would break all rules for a Rick Stein chip shop oysters in batter - I like Padstow and I like that dish very much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cumberland

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Morning All. 6.2 at 0745 so no breakfast today. Can only be down to ramekin of peanuts last night so they’re not entering the house again. If I have a glass of wine they’re too tempting.
@ianpspurs adorable photo of the grandchildren.
@shelley262 hope the cramp is better, sounds awful
.@Goacher55 glad you’re home and you can recover well eating decent food.
Have a good day everyone.
Have you considered it might be the wine? That does it for me its a swine! However I'm now investigating the wonders of single malt whiskies / aged rum / pastis. etc.... and other pure spirits. Not everyday you understand , but now and again they play their part....Wishing you well in all events..

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m already disabled following strokes when I was 23, so it’s a learning curve of how to do the things I usually struggle with having only one useful arm which has a torn rotor cuff too. Thank you love I’ll take it day by day luckily have my retired but still active dad nearby.
Thank you! I know every case is different but I can feel a difference every day.
@Goacher55 You are the 2nd lady to make me feel properly humbled today. Mrs P has taken 88 Y.O MIL for pre op checks - she has had an interesting last 35/40 years as well. You are an inspiration.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
The nerves element is the worse bit it goes right back there emotionally to those exam results! You’ve no doubt got a mysugr prediction

This will be the first time I’ve put MySugr to the test properly. It is predicting 37.5. If the real result is that I’ll be doing cartwheels.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you considered it might be the wine? That does it for me its a swine! However I'm now investigating the wonders of single malt whiskies / aged rum / pastis. etc.... and other pure spirits. Not everyday you understand , but now and again they play their part....Wishing you well in all events..
@OrsonKartt You are a man of good taste. I like your exploration except Pastis. I generally find almost anything French is to my liking but they let me down there. Now, an evening with Cognac, Armagnac or Calvados is a very good way to see out winter.

Reactions: alf_Josiah

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I'm sticking with my humble tot of Glen Keith single malt in the evening for now.

Trouble is my grandson has cottoned on to the benefits of the odd glass of whiskey so my supply seems to be shrinking at an accelerated rate of late.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm sticking with my humble tot of Glen Keith single malt in the evening for now.
Nothing humble about a single malt - I have to say much as I enjoy them (SM) over the last 2-3 years I have liked Irish Whiskey and Bourbon more. Having said that, whilst not as rare as rocking horse poo, you could definitely count on the fingers of 1 hand the number of days I drink any of them each month.
Eit: Just looked up Glen Keith and seen it is a Speyside so that would be much to my liking. It also appears to be one sold at the nearest supermarket to us. It may make an appearance whilst watching some NFL later this year. Thanks @JohnEGreen

Last edited: