What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm having a pasty! Whatever my score is I'm having at least half of one while I'm there (I may share it with my boy).
I've made a list of Cornish carby treats on offer and what I will and won't allow myself occasionally on my hols:

Pasty - yes
Fish in batter - yes
Chips - no
Beer - the odd pint yes
Ice cream - no
Scone - maybe half with cream but with fresh berries instead of jam
Cider - no

Holiday rules for two weeks only.
Very sensible holiday rules there @rhubarb73 Hope those Cornish treats live up to expectations.
Clotted cream in abundance though. Yum.

Reactions: alf_Josiah

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very sensible holiday rules there @rhubarb73 Hope those Cornish treats live up to expectations.
Clotted cream in abundance though. Yum.
Don't really know much about Cornwall. I did like Padstow - probably because I like Rick Stein. The place did seem to be a twin for Southwold in a kind of poser's paradise way. Strangely, I like both.

Reactions: DJC3 and alf_Josiah

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Don't really know much about Cornwall. I did like Padstow - probably because I like Rick Stein. The place did seem to be a twin for Southwold in a kind of poser's paradise way. Strangely, I like both.
I love Southwold, and Woodbridge (and Aldburgh). I think I was weaned on Adnams (which may be part of my problem). Am also a fan of Rick Stein - not sure if I'll get to Padstow (sorry @alf_Josiah ) - have been before and eaten in his restaurant. This time I think we will stay close to our digs in St Ives - plenty to do around there and after the last few months I want a stress free time just enjoying the company of Mrs Rhubarb and the two little sticks of Rhubarb.

Reactions: DJC3 and alf_Josiah

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love Southwold, and Woodbridge (and Aldburgh). I think I was weaned on Adnams (which may be part of my problem). Am also a fan of Rick Stein - not sure if I'll get to Padstow (sorry @alf_Josiah ) - have been before and eaten in his restaurant. This time I think we will stay close to our digs in St Ives - plenty to do around there and after the last few months I want a stress free time just enjoying the company of Mrs Rhubarb and the two little sticks of Rhubarb.
Have a great time @rhubarb73 . By coincidence, I live very near St Ives - Cambridgeshire.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-08-13 at 12.41.27.png
    Screenshot 2018-08-13 at 12.41.27.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 346

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After reading about you breakfast abstainers I’m feeling guilty about eating after my 9.4 FBG. But I’m getting too skinny!
Sometimes the opposite can happen with fbgs it can go down after eating a high fat very low carb breakfast rather than keep climbing up which is what happens to some non breakfast eaters. Suppose it’s individual.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fascinating what you learn by accident. 88 year old MIL had pre op medical - bionic woman. ( Both hip replacements replaced over last 3 years now knee replacement. She is turning into Trigger's broom) Anyhow, Mrs P tells me the pre op team took bg levels and MIL was under 5 - they said too low we prefer over 5! Mrs P tells me she rolled her eyes and said sotto voce you should meet my husband then:banghead:

Last edited:
Reactions: OrsonKartt and DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.6 today

wet and windy today here and threw it down with rain all night, looked out at 06.00am saw the weather and went back to bed ;).
Found an under bed box with woollies in it yesterday in the spare bedroom so I'll sort that out today and go for a walk later if/when the weather improves.

@Debandez I like a carvery meal too and we usually have one when I go to visit my sister :) you started out the day at 5.5 and were 7.3 after the meal that's only a rise of 1.8 so within 2 points, plus the theraputic value of the no cooking = bonus
Thanks @geefull that brought a smile to my face:) I am just used to the post pranial being lower. But you are right. It was within 2 points so now I'm feeling pretty chuffed. So much so I'm going to have a coffee and cream with not 1 but 2 pieces of choccy:)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Request for information/help please. MFP on the fitbit app doesn't breakdown fat in foods into sat fat and non sat fat. I am looking for an app that will do this but also allow me to store custom meals - MFP is good for that. Proviso is probably needs to be chromebook friendly but at a push I would use an ipad. I do have a smartphone but that is really for decorative purposes.
Thanks

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
@OrsonKartt You are a man of good taste. I like your exploration except Pastis. I generally find almost anything French is to my liking but they let me down there. Now, an evening with Cognac, Armagnac or Calvados is a very good way to see out winter.
oh but in this hottest of hot weathers a glass of Pastis smothered in ice and ice cold water represents IMHO the flavour of the day presented in an uplifting way ...... mind you looks like we are past the sell by date for this years weather..... back to drinks of cooler climates perhaps,,,,,

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oh but in this hottest of hot weathers a glass of Pastis smothered in ice and ice cold water represents IMHO the flavour of the day presented in an uplifting way ...... mind you looks like we are past the sell by date for this years weather..... back to drinks of cooler climates perhaps,,,,,
Bit late to all this....washing, cleaning, ironing done. The wine could be the swine especially as its rose (albeit a dry one) but I know peanuts dont suit me. They were useful once in a pub when I couldnt eat but they are now banned from home. You bring home a large bag of KP and they are too morish. Winter time or anytime soon I drink red wine but I must say themost suitable drink for me is Bombay Sapphire and slimline tonic and very refreshing with lots of ice. My OH likes to go to the pub Saturday teatime for a couple of pints of real ale but I usually decline because its all Fevertree tonic, they do seem to have cornered the market. As for whisky and brandy thats for the Christmas cake which I cant have either!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
t. As for whisky and brandy thats for the Christmas cake which I cant have either!
Mrs P originally wouldn't drink spirits neat but over 33 years I have educated her to enjoy single malts neat. She has taken to Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold although she is greatly attached to G and T. As for pubs, ever since I stopped playing team sports I have not stepped foot in one except for rare forays to eat. Pub going is high on my list of regrets in life.

Reactions: alf_Josiah

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think there must have been flour used to make the sauce in the one that raised my bgs they also often use milk. Bit different to my usual lots of double cream @nd strong cheese that I make at home

The last carvery cauliflower cheese I had tasted so feeble and uncheesy compared to the low carb version

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Request for information/help please. MFP on the fitbit app doesn't breakdown fat in foods into sat fat and non sat fat. I am looking for an app that will do this but also allow me to store custom meals - MFP is good for that. Proviso is probably needs to be chromebook friendly but at a push I would use an ipad. I do have a smartphone but that is really for decorative purposes.
Thanks

I use Lose It. Can customise meals and break down fats. Very American, but I’ve been able to adapt it. No idea whether if works on chromebook.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning (yes I know it's technically evening) been working frantically...Manchester for 3 days...then Luton...after which off to London...BG's all over the place...from flat fives to over eights...I think it's settling thankfully...woke to a 5.8 this morning...hoping it's the start of a downward trend...however...cooking a full roast dinner (visitors) we are having some Fizz too...if it's over 5.8 tomorrow morning at least I'll know why...for me that does make a difference.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks

Carbs&cals does but the database isn’t as big as MFP. You can also add your own foods and meals and store with pictures of them.
No idea about whether it’s Chromebook friendly.

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Hi everyone I haven’t felt like eating much today (think I might have a chest infection) resulting in my blood sugar being 4.4 I have drank some coke which has bought me too 5.1what would the recommend blood sugar be pre bed