What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that’s all we can do. It’s all I’m doing, and hoping it’s probably better than doing nothing at all.
Sounds like the rest of the day you are well in target though, so all good I reckon.
always keep a-hold of Nurse
For fear of finding something worse.:) (Could just be Belocs)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A very unimpressive 7.3. Not sure why either. (I’m typically in the 6’s and lower in the evening hitting the 5’s fairly often ).

I did read a post yesterday with a link to dawn phenomenon being linked to keto basically saying whilst mornings can be high the rest of the day isn’t and is more stable and insulin is low all day which overall is good Not likely that I’ll be able to get the drs to check actual insulin levels so I guess I just keep on keeping on.
You can't guarantee anything with diabetes HSSS... your control looks fine with a great reduction between June & September without meds...10mls not to be sniffed at...it's about our overall management often we can focus on our waking numbers...that's just a guide to how we start our day...I had a spate of higher waking figures a month or so ago...no particular reason...at one point I would have been anxious about that...nowadays I'm more relaxed...as long as I'm doing my best I have to be satisfied with that...those waking numbers are often the last to come down...DP could be the reason...you could try a small snack right before bed...a handful of nuts...a little cheese...it worked for me.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's what I am being told I will have to have to drop my blood sugar down from what it is to a normal level. The doctors seem to think I cannot do it myself. They want me to have injections to bring down the blood sugar fast then wait and see.
Andy there is often (too often) a very fatalistic approach to type 2 diabetes from many of our health care professionals...it seems to be 'diabetes is a progressive condition you'll be on insulin eventually' so have it now...I don't subscribe to that view...when I was diagnosed I encountered the same attitude...fortunately I ignored it...for me testing my blood glucose was the best guide I had to what was the right diet for me...reading the labels on food packaging...checking the carb content...once you get the hang of it it's easy...there are many here who control their diabetes without medication...without injections...it can take a while to lower our BG...as said it doesn't happen overnight...some take longer than others...ultimatums from our HCP's are not beneficial to any of us...activity is another weapon in the diabetes battle...if you are able to increase your activity that will help reduce your levels...anything...vigorous housework...a little walking...if you are able...it all adds up...good luck...I'd be interested to hear your progress.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK I confess to falling off the wagon a little last night. I had one of those meetings with lots of snacks at 6PM which didnt finish until past 8 The food offered was pretty much bread based, cute little cut sandwiches, unidentifiable little deep fried spheres of breadcrumbs, that sort of thing and I could easily pass by but the red wine , oh my , just a couple of glasses was needed as a distraction from the the patronising bureaucracy . The walk home which involved being very close to a kebab shop and of course I was hungry. I confess I entered and purchased what is considered a small Donner. Despite not eating the bread , the pile of what is loosely described as "meat" means my blood sugars this morning are 6.2. I should know better but hey ho .... Have a good day....
You did well Orson...after an evening of patronising bureaucracy I'd have felt justified in eating the bread too.:angelic:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

5.0 today

Still pretty good but it's the first time I've had one at that level since last February :( I had 4.9 on Monday and now 5.0 today. Had a look back over my records and it looks as if my fbg floated a bit higher heading into Autumn last year too (weekly average). Who knows the secret mysteries of the body and T2D ;)

It's looking soggy this morning although it's a bit warmer today so perhaps I'll wrap up and go out for a walk shortly.

Have a good day everyone :)

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
8.2 this morning. Only ate one meal yesterday. Still fighting tooth infection. One side of my face has developed a retro 2017 look by swelling back to its original size. Pain under control. Back at dentist today to see if they can drain it.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
8.2 this morning. Only ate one meal yesterday. Still fighting tooth infection. One side of my face has developed a retro 2017 look by swelling back to its original size. Pain under control. Back at dentist today to see if they can drain it.
Ouch...sounds dreadful rhubarb...lets hope the dentist can give you some relief.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A beautiful morning here DJC...but...cold & getting colder day by day...night by night...three tops...a scarf & a hot water bottle before bed...then the winter duvet...bliss.

Wow! You beat me - I had to get up and put a big shirt on over my pyjama top and was nice and cosy then. It’s time to start hunting out the hot water bottles though definitely.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
OK I confess to falling off the wagon a little last night. I had one of those meetings with lots of snacks at 6PM which didnt finish until past 8 The food offered was pretty much bread based, cute little cut sandwiches, unidentifiable little deep fried spheres of breadcrumbs, that sort of thing and I could easily pass by but the red wine , oh my , just a couple of glasses was needed as a distraction from the the patronising bureaucracy . The walk home which involved being very close to a kebab shop and of course I was hungry. I confess I entered and purchased what is considered a small Donner. Despite not eating the bread , the pile of what is loosely described as "meat" means my blood sugars this morning are 6.2. I should know better but hey ho .... Have a good day....
6.2 is OK OrsonKartt. Don't beat yourself up. It's always difficult when faced with those buffet type foods and you're hungry! Enjoy today.:)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

5.0 today

Still pretty good but it's the first time I've had one at that level since last February :( I had 4.9 on Monday and now 5.0 today. Had a look back over my records and it looks as if my fbg floated a bit higher heading into Autumn last year too (weekly average). Who knows the secret mysteries of the body and T2D ;)

It's looking soggy this morning although it's a bit warmer today so perhaps I'll wrap up and go out for a walk shortly.

Have a good day everyone :)

This is interesting, and a bit of a relief to hear - there seems to be quite a few people on here today posting higher than usual fbgs. I wonder if there is some sort of seasonal variation? Who knows with diabetes - for me I think it’s fear of spiders in September must be raising stress levels!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

Caved in and turned on the heater today. It has definitely gotten colder these last few days, though things are forecasted to improve a bit towards the end of week. Also seem to have caught a slight cold, not feeling too bad, however.

Got my results yesterday and they are generally good, though the HbA1c is a bit higher than expected and up from 30 to 36 from last year, though average readings have increased by only 0.1 mmol. As you all know an HbA1c of 36 reflects average blood sugars of 6.0, even I rarely ever get up as high as 6.0, even considering peaks after eating. GP thinks this is probably due to highs during sleep. Not sure I buy into this reasoning, but will probably need to get CGM to know for sure. However, don't want to complain as results are still in the non-diabetic range.

Results also showed no problems with kidneys and cholesterol is good. Calculated the Triglyceride-Glucose-Index (an approximation of insulin resistance when there's no insulin test) and this was for the first time in the insulin-sensitive range.

Blood sugars this morning were 5.4 this morning.

Have a great week all.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Good morning everyone. Another lovely sunny day here. My FBG was 9.1 - meh. Amazing how quickly one gets used to lower numbers. My appointment with the DN is on Friday. Tweaking is expected. Have a good day.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all.

Caved in and turned on the heater today. It has definitely gotten colder these last few days, though things are forecasted to improve a bit towards the end of week. Also seem to have caught a slight cold, not feeling too bad, however.

Got my results yesterday and they are generally good, though the HbA1c is a bit higher than expected and up from 30 to 36 from last year, though average readings have increased by only 0.1 mmol. As you all know an HbA1c of 36 reflects average blood sugars of 6.0, even I rarely ever get up as high as 6.0, even considering peaks after eating. GP thinks this is probably due to highs during sleep. Not sure I buy into this reasoning, but will probably need to get CGM to know for sure. However, don't want to complain as results are still in the non-diabetic range.

Results also showed no problems with kidneys and cholesterol is good. Calculated the Triglyceride-Glucose-Index (an approximation of insulin resistance when there's no insulin test) and this was for the first time in the insulin-sensitive range.

Blood sugars this morning were 5.4 this morning.

Have a great week all.
Great results ziggy w